2018 midterm gameday thread

Zonahorn

12 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

I can’t believe Scott “pond scum” Walker might win again!

i thought he was fucked.  The big ticket races tonight were disappointing for sure. 

I thiught we would win Ohio gov, Florida gov, Wisconsin gov, Iowa gov and...... we might get none.

It’s almost like our elections are rigged or something.  

20 minutes ago, swraith said:

2016 proved popular vote doesn’t matter. Electoral college count is what matters in Presidential race.

Florida still looking very red. TX looking very red.

Dems have to find a path that leads them to EC victory in 2020 vs Trump. It’s not clear that tonight has revealed that strategy.

umm, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Michigan... big Dem gains in those states tonight.. that is the path.. it's always been the path.

Just now, Huckleberry said:

He is winning the Bell County portion in a big way. Williamson is still slightly in favor of Hegar from what I see. Interesting.

Indeed. Wilco has about 50% of its precincts outstanding. If it splits as it has, Hegar looks like she may pick up about 3,500 seats. Looks like Carter likely will win a close one.

umm, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Michigan... big Dem gains in those states tonight.. that is the path.. it's always been the path.

Dems gained House seats. No disagreement. But Dems are going to need a candidate that can counter weight Trumpism in 2020.

I would have felt a lot more confident in the Dems 2020 chances for the Presidency if we had seen some of these big statewide races go to the left. It would have made the path to defeating Trump look easier after tonight.

However, it appears Dems still have a lot of hard work in front of them. The wrong candidate in 2020 could leave the US stuck with Trump for an additional 4 years which I was hoping would be inconceivable after tonight.

Just now, Capn81 said:

Technically, he would not be wrong.

Yeah, but he'd be a hypocrite for talking about moral victories on the other side all night. "HAHAH YOU GUYS ARE AGGY WITH YOUR MORAL VICTORIES!"

"Also we lost the House by less than we thought we would."

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

America wins 

Holy shit - Ned's from Dallas and graduated from St. Mark's. 

Ned also had a unique roll as a CIA agent working with the WH until he realized working with Trump was unsustainable.  Ned knows what GOP losing the House means for the IC...and for Trump.

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, but he'd be a hypocrite for talking about moral victories on the other side all night. "HAHAH YOU GUYS ARE AGGY WITH YOUR MORAL VICTORIES!"

"Also we lost the House by less than we thought we would."

As a liberal, was this night better or worse than you expected?

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I'm not a liberal so I can't answer that question. But you already knew this.

As an actual conservative (i.e., not a Trump supporting Republican), this night was pretty much perfect. Split control in Washington, subpoena power to shine a light on the current administration, etc. Thanks for asking.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Ask me after AZ and NV.

I'm relieved the House has broken about exactly the way it's supposed to. 

The Senate has been a disappointment, thus far. I never expected to win it, so in that sense tonight has gone about exactly the way I thought it would in terms of big picture results. If the Senate goes +6 to the Rs, it's a pretty bad night on that side.

3 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Nevada may stop some of the bleeding in the senate for the D's.

Dems need to win Nevada Senate, Montana Senate, Maine gov, Nevada gov, and Wisconsin gov.

they can’t strike out on these statewide races and expect to beat trump in 2020.

unfortunately, I think Iowa gov and Arizona senate will go red.