2018 Winter Weather Thread

Hate

Lolz at The Eagle 106.9 lampooning crazy ass weather reporters by having ‘frantic’ listeners call in with reports of flurries, frozen rain, and/ sleet.

We will survive.

Edited by slorch

I've been confiscating space heaters all day to prevent them from blowing the breakers in our shitty old buildings. The disappointment on their faces brings a special joy and warmth to my heart. Feels like my hatred of the holidays is beginning to wind up.   

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Like 2

I've been confiscating space heaters all day to prevent them from blowing the breakers in our shitty old buildings. The disappointment on their faces brings a special joy and warmth to my heart. Feels like my hatred of the holidays is beginning to wind up.   

d22960b139510c2a6a7ee42ee979b92e.gif
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

.1c7baaac9b4ff637a86530f4eaff8e33.jpg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

CHRISTMASCAROL,A1938_1068-40a_1608x1268_

"Father, tell us again how MissingInAction wouldn't let you have even one more piece of coal to warm yourself at work!"
"Now, now, children, you've heard that story way too many times now.  Let's just pretend once again that our bread pudding is his face and hack into it mercilessly!"
"Oh father, you really know how to keep Christmas in your heart!"

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

There are some models hinting as wintry weather around the 4-8 of December.  The long range models have seen this for a couple of weeks and some of the short term models are picking up on it now.  It's still too soon to know for sure when or if it will happen, but there is almost always a big warm up preceding any wintry weather for us.  

file.php?id=14726&t=1

• Like 1

soooo, hows it looking?

who has a good forecast for stillwater?  my kids wrestling team is supposed to have a tournament up there fri-sat and the school is threatening to cancel it due to the forecast and i'm trying to find a good forecast?  those yellow dog school buses dont do well on ice.

6 minutes ago, chesthair said:

soooo, hows it looking?

who has a good forecast for stillwater?  my kids wrestling team is supposed to have a tournament up there fri-sat and the school is threatening to cancel it due to the forecast and i'm trying to find a good forecast?  those yellow dog school buses dont do well on ice.

supposed to be wintry shit moving into sucklahoma and north texas this weekend.  prob not the best time to be driving up that way.  

• Like 1

Saturday is not going to be a good travel day up there.  Winter Storm watch for Central to Northern OK, 3-6" forecast Friday night into Saturday, with some ice/sleet on roads.  It's almost certainly going to be an awful travel weekend, especially Saturday, from NWS:

A large upper-level wave will reach the coast of southern
California and northern Baja California early Friday. The flow
ahead of this system will bring moisture north from the Gulf of
Mexico into the southern Plains. Meanwhile, a cold front will
arrive tomorrow morning in far northwest Oklahoma, then move
fairly quickly southeast across the rest of the state and into
Texas by Thursday night. This will set the stage for a significant
winter storm...

While there is still considerable uncertainty regarding the
exact locations, timing, and severity of impacts of the
approaching storm, there is no uncertainty that there will BE
significant impacts. The current forecast suggests a potential for
damaging ice accumulations across southwest to central Oklahoma,
though this is, as stated above, subject to change. The greatest
snowfall, in general, will be across northern Oklahoma, near the
Kansas border, although heavy snow bands could occur farther
south.

With snow and ice on the ground, the following several nights will
be quite cold. Because of the low temperatures, it will take a
few days to melt the snow and ice that accumulates, especially in
northern Oklahoma, where temperatures will be lowest. Temperatures
should return to near the seasonal average around midweek...ahead
of another storm system that will probably bring rain and perhaps
light snow again late next week (beyond the range of this
forecast).

• Like 1

We had to go to leave town this past weekend to see two of our kids. The forecasts back home had us receiving up to 10” of snow. I was not looking forward to returning to a bunch of snow to shovel and blow, especially because the way our street curves, the plow always leave an extra snow bank surprise in front of our driveway. I fully expected to have snow to clear to even get into our driveway. All we got was a little rain. Thanks, Trump.

Thursday night good chance of some light frozen precip waaay out NW Austin burbs (Burnet, etc.).  These kinds of things could always drift into ATX area and cause spotty problems but at this point nuthin' to really blink twice about.  No significant winter storms on the immediate horizon.

17 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Thursday night good chance of some light frozen precip waaay out NW Austin burbs (Burnet, etc.).  These kinds of things could always drift into ATX area and cause spotty problems but at this point nuthin' to really blink twice about.  No significant winter storms on the immediate horizon.

are we talking closer to midnight or rush hour?

WTf

...Strong Winds Expected Thursday and Thursday Night......Chance of Rain and Snow Mix Thursday Night 

There is also a chance of a rain and snow mix Thursday night

across Llano and Burnet counties. Trace amounts to up to 1 inch

of snow accumulation is possible across Llano and Burnet counties,

mainly on grassy and elevated surfaces. A rain and snow mix is

also possible across portions of Kerr, Gillespie, northern

Kendall, Blanco, western Travis, and western and northern

Williamson counties Thursday night. Little to no accumulation is

currently expected across these counties.

H-E-B gonna be open?

2¢ more... pretty much on schedule... it has gotten cold, as in near freezing for daytime highs, right around/after New Year's for like 7 out of the last 10 years.

But "12Z" on the map timewise is noon Greenwich Mean Time, which = 6 a.m. Austin time, so that's not all that chilly per se for that hour this time of year  Here's the same map for noon Austin time... still pretty cold, though... but not rare-cold:  Temps overnight into Jan. 2 on the next few maps forecast a partial freeze around the area but not widespread.  We'll see.  This is the newer, STP-supercharged FV3 model though, we'll see how it does.  'Posta be an improvement, we'll see...

fv3p_T2m_us_61.png

Edited by phdhorn

10 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Stocked on lube and snow blower gasoline

I currently live in Wisconsin. Where we test all the stuff like snowblowers and mittens and snowmobiles before shipping them to tropical places such as Minnesota. 

What is snowblower gasoline? Your snowblower does not run on regular?  

I currently live in Wisconsin. Where we test all the stuff like snowblowers and mittens and snowmobiles before shipping them to tropical places such as Minnesota. 

I usually take a new invention called a gas can and put some regular gas in it just in case of the event I run out in the middle of my driveway then I'll have some with me to fill the blower back up rather than loading it...driving to a gas station...fueling it there then unloading it and continuing on. Real pain in the ass to have to stop and do that which I'm trying to avoid.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
7 minutes ago, Stoogey said:

I usually take a new invention called a gas can and put some regular gas in it just in case of the event I run out in the middle of my driveway then I'll have some with me to fill the blower back up rather than loading it...driving to a gas station...fueling it there then unloading it and continuing on. Real pain in the ass to have to stop and do that which I'm trying to avoid.

So. Gasoline for the snowblower. The salesguy at Sears was yapping about buying some special crap from their service department that was about ten times as expensive as regular. 

Same bullshit when I bought a Coleman camping stove. "You have to buy Coleman fuel!" Well, thirty years later and using gas station gasoline, it still fires up.

I admit I have to drive about fifty miles to fill the gas cans with regular gas without ethanol once a year. After you've had to dismantle and clean the carburetors on the snowblower and lawnmower and snowmobile, it makes perfect sense. 

• Like 1