2018 Winter Weather Thread

Hate

7 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

You chose to live there bub. 

I'm not complaining.  Winter has a purpose.  Just commenting on the severity and rarity of a storm on this level.  12" of snow is not typical in Iowa, but given how our overall moisture level has been increasing in the last 5 years, it might start getting that way.

I kinda relish our harsh climate.  We had a low of -30 and high of 100 in 2018.  The month of January alone saw a 90 degree swing (-30 to 60).  I've seen floods, droughts, tornadoes, windstorms, dust storms, blizzards, triple digit heat and -40 cold.  You have to be a little crazy to embrace it.

Just now, InkaUtexas said:

hehe, ok let me know and I will come up with beer to experience one of these. 

Beer definitely helps.

My buddy hosts an ice fishing contest the last weekend of January.  Last year, the pond was melted due to 50-60 degree weather.  This year there will likely be a foot of snow, and the early forecast is for a high of 4 and low of 0.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm not complaining.  Winter has a purpose.  Just commenting on the severity and rarity of a storm on this level.  12" of snow is not typical in Iowa, but given how our overall moisture level has been increasing in the last 5 years, it might start getting that way.

I kinda relish our harsh climate.  We had a low of -30 and high of 100 in 2018.  The month of January alone saw a 90 degree swing (-30 to 60).  I've seen floods, droughts, tornadoes, windstorms, dust storms, blizzards, triple digit heat and -40 cold.  You have to be a little crazy to embrace it.

Sounds like Amarillo 

4 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Sounds like Amarillo 

Our dust storms are quite a bit less frequent.  They happen, but only in really dry springs when the land has been tilled and the top soil is loose and dried out.

In all seriousness, when I drove through the Panhandle going out to the Grand Canyon about 15 years ago, I was stunned by how similar to how much it looked like the Midwest.  Row crops, flat land, and livestock everywhere.  I guess it shouldn't be that surprising.  North Texas is still the Plains and looks pretty similar to everything between there and the north woods.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Our dust storms are quite a bit less frequent.  They happen, but only in really dry springs when the land has been tilled and the top soil is loose and dried out.

In all seriousness, when I drove through the Panhandle going out to the Grand Canyon about 15 years ago, I was stunned by how similar to how much it looked like the Midwest.  Row crops, flat land, and livestock everywhere.  I guess it shouldn't be that surprising.  North Texas is still the Plains and looks pretty similar to everything between there and the north woods.

Yep, as the feller says, if you stand on top of the Bank in Lubbock or Amarillo, you can see Canada

• Like 1

To cheer you up, the other day USA Today ran an article on the 32 coldest inhabited places on earth.  They list 32 of them and yeah, it's slide clickbait, but interesting.  To save time, I'll just say 1) that about 8 of the 10 coldest places are either in Canada or Russa (#10 was a place in Greenland), and 2) what's more interesting is not the place, but the temps... the #1 coldest spot has an average January temp of -53.3°F, a -47 for the 3 coldest months average, and a "hottest month" July average of 56.3°.  The top 15 aren't that much better.  Most of the names you could only hope to spell when your shit-drool drunk. 

In case you don't wanna fuckwiddit, the coldest place on earth where people live (non-scientific a la Antarctica) is:

Spoiler

1. Oymyakon, Sakah Republic, Russia
247WallSt.com-247WS-520436-imageForEntry

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/destinations/2019/01/10/coldest-inhabited-places-on-earth/38875135/

Edited by phdhorn

5 hours ago, Updawg said:
6 hours ago, miguelito said:
Did they stop naming winter storms?  That shit was stupid.

Nope. It's named winter storm Harper

Well then it's going to take forever deciding where it's going to go. 

A little baseball humor for the peeps. Cause I'm a giver. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Where the hell did it get to -30 in Iowa in 2018?

6 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I guess it was only -28.  Sioux City.

Damn, my son and DIL live in North Sioux City and he says it may have broken the -10 threshold a couple of times last winter. They are buying a house in Sioux City right now, so I’ll have to warn him that it gets colder a few miles over the state line.

54 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Damn, my son and DIL live in North Sioux City and he says it may have broken the -10 threshold a couple of times last winter. They are buying a house in Sioux City right now, so I’ll have to warn him that it gets colder a few miles over the state line.

This was according to the internet.  Jan 2nd.  I live 3-4 hours east and north.  We were close to that temp.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/weather.com/amp/storms/winter/news/2018-01-01-arctic-record-cold-outbreak-forecast-midwest-east-south-early-january.html

You must be east of Spirit Lake. That’s a good ways from Sioux City. I was gonna to offer to buy you a beer at The Diving Elk next time I’m in Sioux City to see the never-ending I-29 reconstruction project. 

I live northwest of you, and that cold snap mentioned in your link was the only time I recall it being below -20 in almost 20 years since I moved back. Most years we have a handful of days that are barely sub-zero. However, I did survive a legit 120 F in the mid-2000s.  

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

1 hour ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

You must be east of Spirit Lake. That’s a good ways from Sioux City. I was gonna to offer to buy you a beer at The Diving Elk next time I’m in Sioux City to see the never-ending I-29 reconstruction project. 

I live northwest of you, and that cold snap mentioned in your link was the only time I recall it being below -20 in almost 20 years since I moved back. Most years we have a handful of days that are barely sub-zero. However, I did survive a legit 120 F in the mid-2000s.  

I’m only an hour west of Wisconsin, on the same highway that runs through Spirit Lake

44 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

JFC, I wake up this morning and the wind is insane.  My back porch is a fucking mess.  TV turned sideways, couch cushions everywhere, vases and rugs flung around.  Fuck you old man winter!!!

Yep, the back patio furniture is now yard furniture, and my dog in all her yard protection duty, decided that since one of the chairs was now in her realm, to chew the shit out of the entire back of one chair and the seat of another. Way to go wind