Gimme your DFW Metroplex "big night" go-to restaurants

solamente73

Tango Room was excellent. As @Landomatic has said, it ain't cheap. My NY Strip was $95 and I added "Au Poivre" sauce for $18. Fuck it, you only turn 50 once. The deviled eggs with truffle were terrific but I wonder if the burrata appetizer might've been better. My wife said her scallops main were the best scallops she's ever had. I had a couple bites and they were legit. Ordered the Duck Fried Rice and Brussels sides. Both fantastic. Ended with a deconstructed orange dreamsicle cheesecake for dessert that was delicious.

Completely different space from FT33. Very small and cozy. All booths. Service was excellent. Got up to hit the head before dessert and the hostess was back by where the food was going out. She noticed me and where I was headed and said, "C-Man, this way" and I'm a fucking nobody. Bill was $400 (three glasses of wine, one mocktail) with a generous tip. We won't do this very often but holy hell was it worth it for a special occasion.

• Hook 'Em 4

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Skipper said:

Who has hit up The Mexican?  Have reservations this weekend.

I keep meaning to check it out. As I think I've mentioned, a friend of mine is one of the co-founders/owners. I've heard mostly good things. Some people abhor it for being too over-the-top.

I thought The Mexican was great.  Don't get me wrong, you have to be in the mood for that vibe.  It has a very Vegas feel to it.  But we were kind of in a 'party' mood so worked out well.  Everything we tried was solid.  Lobster Elote was probably the best dish.  Only downside was service was a bit uneven (they were pretty slammed) but not enough to dampen the experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Brass Ram should be this list.  We had a great meal there for my birthday this week. It's a Nick Badovinus restaurant, so it's all pretty much spot on.  The place is an ode to a mid century prime rib place.   The mood and vibe are just right, upscale and cool but comfortable.  There were some tables dressed up (jackets for men, cha cha heals on the women) but also tables of what looked like roughnecks in jeans just out to eat a big piece of beef.

The martini "menu" is thoughtful, as it should be:  no crazy flavors, just various styles of classic martinis mostly depending on the gin:vermouth ratio.  The appetizers fit right in:  waygu pigs in a blanket, perfect old school salads -- even with house made thousand island dressing, etc.   There are steaks and fish on the menu, but you go there for the prime rib.  There are four different cuts and each comes with Yorkshire pudding, horseradish cream and au jus.  We (two big guys) split the third biggest cut.  With apps and sides, it was all a feast and we had plenty leftover for awesome sandwiches with sides the next day.

Service was just right.  The sommelier in particular was really good, friendly and helpful.   I recommend this place.

It's downtown, down Commerce in the new "East Quarter" district.   Badovinus bought the triangular "flatiron" building.  National Anthem is on the first floor.  Brass Ram is on the 2nd.  And they are going to add some sort of rooftop lounge on top by next summer.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/13/2022 at 4:14 PM, C-Man said:

I keep meaning to check it out. As I think I've mentioned, a friend of mine is one of the co-founders/owners. I've heard mostly good things. Some people abhor it for being too over-the-top.

Daughter (DDD) took me and SWMBO to dinner there for my birthday last month.  I liked it.  Not sure I'd go there on my own, but it was an enjoyable dinner.

• 4 weeks later...

Well that is fucking awful. Texas ex and young guy with a wife and 3 kids. 

image.thumb.jpeg.8848fa731c7fc55843801d4e5027b899.jpeg

CO-FOUNDER & GENERAL PARTNER

MICHAEL BARNETT

Always happiest around a warm and lively kitchen, Michael has long since shown others affection through food and authentic hospitality. It is with that sense of fondness for serving others that led Michael to help create Homewood.

Michael grew up cooking with his mom and eating as adventurously as his parents would allow. He met his wife, Jessica, while they were studying at the University of Texas and the two of them have been mostly inseparable ever since. During their free time, Michael and Jessica love doing life with their three kids and traveling far and wide.

Well that is fucking awful. Texas ex and young guy with a wife and 3 kids. 

image.thumb.jpeg.8848fa731c7fc55843801d4e5027b899.jpeg

CO-FOUNDER & GENERAL PARTNER

MICHAEL BARNETT

Always happiest around a warm and lively kitchen, Michael has long since shown others affection through food and authentic hospitality. It is with that sense of fondness for serving others that led Michael to help create Homewood.

Michael grew up cooking with his mom and eating as adventurously as his parents would allow. He met his wife, Jessica, while they were studying at the University of Texas and the two of them have been mostly inseparable ever since. During their free time, Michael and Jessica love doing life with their three kids and traveling far and wide.

Had no idea Barrett’s dad is chairman of Benchmark Bank. Have to assume it was a suicide due to the timing. Sad deal.

• 3 months later...
On 6/7/2023 at 12:26 PM, Texzilla58 said:

Did they ever publish his cause of death? I hope it’s not suicide; that’s a horrible thing to inflict on a wife and children.

I think I heard it was a drug overdose (fentanyl-related, perhaps).

• 1 month later...

Man, this board is dead-as-disco lately. At any rate, Duro Hospitality’s newest concept (Mister Charles) has opened in the old Highland Park Pharmacy location on Knox. It’s in the running for spendiest restaurant in town, it appears, but Duro’s got a pretty fantastic track record of The Charles, Sister and Carlos Elegante. The Charles might be my favorite restaurant in town.

https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaurant-news/2023/07/21/edgy-dallas-restaurant-mister-charles-now-open-in-place-of-highland-park-soda-fountain/?fbclid=IwAR0d5Us8Q2Ill3HNs1RmpecN6ugK5m0wlsAMRhBq1iGzlmj33KVa9PYO2_o_aem_Ae-cXUOREjyOeGDv92SUx4R9D5Wo4kBO3pisTDT_RLs5HR_8HQssN1cRV-OQ-GdcEzU&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

d4d8e511fee9ea99853feeae625b83e0.jpg

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Man, this board is dead-as-disco lately. At any rate, Duro Hospitality’s newest concept (Mister Charles) has opened in the old Highland Park Pharmacy location on Knox. It’s in the running for spendiest restaurant in town, it appears, but Duro’s got a pretty fantastic track record of The Charles, Sister and Carlos Elegante. The Charles might be my favorite restaurant in town.

https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaurant-news/2023/07/21/edgy-dallas-restaurant-mister-charles-now-open-in-place-of-highland-park-soda-fountain/?fbclid=IwAR0d5Us8Q2Ill3HNs1RmpecN6ugK5m0wlsAMRhBq1iGzlmj33KVa9PYO2_o_aem_Ae-cXUOREjyOeGDv92SUx4R9D5Wo4kBO3pisTDT_RLs5HR_8HQssN1cRV-OQ-GdcEzU&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

d4d8e511fee9ea99853feeae625b83e0.jpg

Help Me Im Poor Kristen Wiig GIF

1 hour ago, LonghornJones said:

My wife wants to go to Monarch for my bday. I am very basic and love Javiers, as its also very convenient.

Does anyone have any experience with Monarch downtown? I don't want to read the whole thread.

C'mon man, the thread is only three pages. Just scroll back or search "Monarch." I believe Monarch is discussed on here and perhaps another thread.

It's supposed to be fantastic. I had a reservation for my birthday last November but we bailed and went to Tango Room instead. There were a few contingencies on the Monarch reservation -- like we had to guarantee to spend $250 to get a window table or we had to be gone in 90 mins at another table. Something like that. My wife no longer drinks and I'm pretty certain it wouldn't have been difficult to get to $250 on the overall bill off food (and booze for me) but the fact that it was part of the equation was off-putting.

All that said you can do tons better than Javier's with very little effort IMO.

43 minutes ago, C-Man said:

C'mon man, the thread is only three pages. Just scroll back or search "Monarch." I believe Monarch is discussed on here and perhaps another thread.

It's supposed to be fantastic. I had a reservation for my birthday last November but we bailed and went to Tango Room instead. There were a few contingencies on the Monarch reservation -- like we had to guarantee to spend $250 to get a window table or we had to be gone in 90 mins at another table. Something like that. My wife no longer drinks and I'm pretty certain it wouldn't have been difficult to get to $250 on the overall bill off food (and booze for me) but the fact that it was part of the equation was off-putting.

All that said you can do tons better than Javier's with very little effort IMO.

Thanks for reminding me why I go to Javier's cigar bar at least 6 times a year and have never gone to Monarch!

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Thanks for reminding me why I go to Javier's cigar bar at least 6 times a year and have never gone to Monarch!

Ha -- the cigar bar can be fun for sure. I just don't care for the food at Javier's. It's got a fun vibe, though.

• 1 month later...
On 7/31/2023 at 8:55 AM, LonghornJones said:

My wife wants to go to Monarch for my bday. I am very basic and love Javiers, as its also very convenient.

Does anyone have any experience with Monarch downtown? I don't want to read the whole thread.

Did you go?

I thought Monarch kinda sucked. Great views and "scene", but food was very meh. Definitely wouldn't go back for the cost.

That said, I was in Dallas last weekend and drove the rental to the Kellers on NW Hwy and flashed my flashers and had the best #5 burger I've ever had. I'll go to that meal for a big night before Monarchs again.

Edited by animaltobacco11
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, animaltobacco11 said:

Did you go?

I thought Monarch kinda sucked. Great views and "scene", but food was very meh. Definitely wouldn't go back for the cost.

That said, I was in Dallas last weekend and drove the rental to the Kellers on NW Hwy and flashed my flashers and had the best #5 burger I've ever had. I'll go to that meal for a big night before Monarchs again.

Birthday is next month, but I'm sure we will end up at Javiers. We can go to Monarch for HER bday, if she wants.

But I want some snapper.

8 minutes ago, LonghornJones said:

Birthday is next month, but I'm sure we will end up at Javiers. We can go to Monarch for HER bday, if she wants.

But I want some snapper.

Monarch is definitely a "her" birthday locale. Dress up semi-nice, drink some champagne and take in the views and eat some mediocre food that she will be impressed with. Stay away from the veal.

• 1 month later...
On 2/13/2023 at 8:58 PM, C-Man said:

Wasn't sure where to put this but it's a fascinating read about the culinary culture and the disruption happening in Dallas. Notable Dallas chefs and restauranteurs agreed to give their real opinions on Dallas diners, tastes, restaurant scene, etc. under anonymity which made for a really interesting read.

After bad news about Cry Wolf and Meridian, restaurant chefs and owners reached out to share their concerns, hopes, dreams, and fears for Dallas food.

https://www.dmagazine.com/food-drink/2023/11/dallas-dining-leaders-reflect-on-the-end-of-a-culinary-era-and-explain-how-to-start-a-new-one/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

El Carlos Elegante. Not sure where to put this since it's most assuredly not Tex-Mex. I've never been to interior Mexico either so I can't say whether this qualifies as that either. It is very Latin-inspired and you can make a big night out if you like but it's not like going to The Tango Room or Mr Charles or whatever.

At any rate, my folks were in town last week and we booked a table for four at El Carlos Elegante. My wife and I had been some months back and enjoyed it. I wasn't blown away like we'd been at The Charles. I think we also preferred Sister. (My wife had her gall bladder out some years ago and doesn't process red meat or fattier food like she used to so we were a little limited in what we could try.) I just have to say having four of us to get a few other things turned that into a phenomenally good meal from start to finish. One of the "masa" dishes we tried had something to do with pork belly and it was the best bite of the evening IMO. It was the revolving "Machete" masa choice so it's not a permanent menu fixture. My other highlight was the pork al pastor choice. Goddamn was that tasty as well. We ended it with a "Key Lime-ish" dessert that was a perfect finish.

So, if you haven't been to Carlos Elegante, go check it out. That was a top three meal for us for 2023. Stuffed our faces pretty good, drank a bit and got out of there for a shade less than $100/person.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 months later...

We went to Mister Charles two weeks ago and loved every bit of it. There are more options than the menu above. It was probably a top 5 Dallas food experience for me, from the starter to the dessert. Excellent staff and great people watching. The table next to us shared the Lamb Wellington, which is cut table side.

I cant wait to go back and try more of the menu.