Burgers

ftf82

22 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Like almost grainy. And maybe a little sour tasting. Could have been a bad batch I suppose, but not pleasant. 

Odd.  The “grainy” texture would indicate they had used a flour/milk base and didn’t do it correctly, while the sour taste indicates a sodium citrate base but used too much sodium citrate, which can give a sour taste.  Either way, doesn’t sound appetizing

17 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Odd.  The “grainy” texture would indicate they had used a flour/milk base and didn’t do it correctly, while the sour taste indicates a sodium citrate base but used too much sodium citrate, which can give a sour taste.  Either way, doesn’t sound appetizing

The weird thing is, sodium citrate pretty much negates the need for a bechamel starter.

But I agree, too much SC is easy to taste.  I've stopped using it, even though it makes it so simple to get a smooth queso.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The weird thing is, sodium citrate pretty much negates the need for a bechamel starter.

But I agree, too much SC is easy to taste.  I've stopped using it, even though it makes it so simple to get a smooth queso.

Exactly — I wasn’t suggesting they did both, but more that it is an odd combination of grainy/sour.  

I still use SC, but have pretty much been able to get the ratios right (and add seasonings) to eliminate the taste.

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Exactly — I wasn’t suggesting they did both, but more that it is an odd combination of grainy/sour.  

Understood.

I still use SC, but have pretty much been able to get the ratios right (and add seasonings) to eliminate the taste.

Recipe isn't showing up.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Got my second shot at AISD Performing Arts in Mueller. So I hit up the sole remaining Hill-Bert's for a jalapeno cheeseburger and homemade onion rings. Forgot how good that place is and the owner is a hell of a nice guy. Need to make a special trip up that way more often.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 3/5/2021 at 3:38 PM, ftf82 said:

Got my second shot at AISD Performing Arts in Mueller. So I hit up the sole remaining Hill-Bert's for a jalapeno cheeseburger and homemade onion rings. Forgot how good that place is and the owner is a hell of a nice guy. Need to make a special trip up that way more often.

I had no idea this location existed.  It's right down the street from me.  Gonna have to hit that up.

• 4 weeks later...

Just had a double 1/4 lber with bacon and cheese from Dan's on North Lamar. The way it comes. No fries. No drink. Just a cup of water.

It's a perfect cheeseburger. I sat there eating it and thought "you couldn't improve this if you tried to". 

Maybe they were especially on their game but man - I'd have a hard time putting anything in Austin over the burger I just ate.

• Hook 'Em 3

16 hours ago, ztejas said:

Just had a double 1/4 lber with bacon and cheese from Dan's on North Lamar. The way it comes. No fries. No drink. Just a cup of water.

It's a perfect cheeseburger. I sat there eating it and thought "you couldn't improve this if you tried to". 

Maybe they were especially on their game but man - I'd have a hard time putting anything in Austin over the burger I just ate.

Yup. I judge all other Austin restaurants to Dan's. The quality to price ratio is the highest in the city. Just wish that they had never switched their fresh japlepenos for pickled- not nearly as good grilled. 

On 3/8/2021 at 5:25 PM, Biff Tannen said:

I had no idea this location existed.  It's right down the street from me.  Gonna have to hit that up.

i lived near 33rd and guadalupe for many years during the 80's.  hillberts on 33rd and lamar was a staple at my place, at least twice a week i picked up or they delivered.  yes, owner is a fantastic guy, and his whole family worked there.  his daughter was running the cameron location last time i was there.

Went to Dirty’s last week to get my dbl with cheese and chocolate milkshake fix.  They’re still closed with no sign of reopening anytime soon.  Really missing that place.

Along those same lines, Billy’s still hasn’t reopened their indoors and, as of this past week, doesn’t have any plans to.  I don’t get it?

• 4 weeks later...

had a Tavern burger today at, well, The Tavern lol. was surprised at how good it was. it's been a couple of years and i recall the food being disappointing the last time or two.

burger and a beer for $15, including fries. bun was toasted which is always nice. not bad.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mchookem said:

had a Tavern burger today at, well, The Tavern lol. was surprised at how good it was. it's been a couple of years and i recall the food being disappointing the last time or two.

burger and a beer for $15, including fries. bun was toasted which is always nice. not bad.

New (old) ownership has righted that venerable ship:  

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/longtime-entrepreneurs-working-to-preserve-old-austin/269-519074973

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Lobo

Not sure where to post this but this thread seems appropriate.  Must have been just in the last week they re-opened.  I thought they were done for good.  But am in line for a dirty Martin’s burger and beer.  Suck it!!!

• 4 weeks later...
Not sure where to post this but this thread seems appropriate.  Must have been just in the last week they re-opened.  I thought they were done for good.  But am in line for a dirty Martin’s burger and beer.  Suck it!!!

GOLL and I hit it a coupon of weeks ago right after they opened back up. It was glorious.

16 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Took the kiddos to Dan’s for dinner and can confirm that the double cheeseburger with jalapeños and a side of onion rings still slams. 

It's a shame they switched from fresh to pickled jalepnos a few years back. Still love their burgers, but that definitely brought them down a peg in my opinion.

Like just about anyplace, the thing with fries is you have to eat them hot (and sometimes when dining in you need to eat them first; I'm looking at you, Pluckers). So you can't get them to go (unless you eat them in the car on the way home with the bag of burgers). Dan's (curly fries), C&A and Hill-Bert's all have great fries for dine in, imo.

• Hook 'Em 1

My new favorite burger is over at Turnstile on Burnet Road near the Q2 Stadium. My neighbor opened it as coffee/wiskey bar last march - and was forced to shut down the same week do to coronavirus. But he made it, and has now expanded to take over the spot that his place shares a parking lot with and has burgers in the evening. They are very very good burgers. I'm not just saying that because he's my neighbor - we were some of the test subjects when he was trying out recipes, but there was a lot we never tried until the place opened. I have not had a bad burger there - even their kids burger (ketchup, cheese, nothing else) is good due to the quality of the meat they used.

Here's a few pics I snagged from their Facebook Page

193732289_317201586570881_2382977730925241311_n.jpg

199722190_325405299083843_3903260328033265439_n.jpg

Actually picked up dinner there a couple of nights ago, based on a friend’s rec. they’re good burgers. A bit pricey - around $12, $15 if you add garlic fries (which are really good). I got the green Chile burger, wife got one with pimento cheese, and they use potato buns. I’d go back, but it wasn’t life-changing.

On 6/25/2021 at 5:52 PM, hornian said:

My new favorite burger is over at Turnstile on Burnet Road near the Q2 Stadium. My neighbor opened it as coffee/wiskey bar last march - and was forced to shut down the same week do to coronavirus. But he made it, and has now expanded to take over the spot that his place shares a parking lot with and has burgers in the evening. They are very very good burgers. I'm not just saying that because he's my neighbor - we were some of the test subjects when he was trying out recipes, but there was a lot we never tried until the place opened. I have not had a bad burger there - even their kids burger (ketchup, cheese, nothing else) is good due to the quality of the meat they used.

Here's a few pics I snagged from their Facebook Page

193732289_317201586570881_2382977730925241311_n.jpg

199722190_325405299083843_3903260328033265439_n.jpg

Passed this the other day. Was sad Gringos didn’t make it. The coffee shop was packed. Will give it a try. 

First time I ate at Dirty’s in the summer of 88 I ordered cheese tots with my OT Special with jalapeños. Tots came with a barely melted slice of Kraft American Cheese on top.  I was hooked from then on. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Guest Lobo
On 6/30/2021 at 8:36 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

I haven't been in to Central Austin in a while.  Is Dirty Martin's on the Drag back in business?  I've seen conflicting reports on-line.  Thanks.

Was just there again this week.  And I'm strongly considering going back again today and watching Spain in the Euros and pretending like I'm serious when I say, "Yeah, keep it open, I may get another beer after lunch."  

• 1 month later...

I remember my dismay when The Beach closed and Crown and Anchor opened.

My dismay lasted right up until my first bite of a jalapeno & cheddar cheeseburger.  I can't imagine how many burgers I've had there since . . . gotta be over a hundred or so, and that might just cover home football games.

23 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I remember my dismay when The Beach closed and Crown and Anchor opened.

My dismay lasted right up until my first bite of a jalapeno & cheddar cheeseburger.  I can't imagine how many burgers I've had there since . . . gotta be over a hundred or so, and that might just cover home football games.

Had that burger a few times myself.  the hole in the wall always made a tasty (and substantial) burger when i was in college.  

On 8/17/2021 at 9:52 AM, thrillhammer said:

Had that burger a few times myself.  the hole in the wall always made a tasty (and substantial) burger when i was in college.  

I always ordered the Reality at Hole in the Wall. Never tried their burger. They used to have good wings, too.