Fried Chicken

utee94

Alright, so let's do it blacklab's way.

Gus's is now my favorite fried chicken in Austin.  It's so good.  Although I have to say, I think when I've had it from the trailer out and about at various events, it's been better than the brick and mortar.  Must be about freshness, right out of the fryer, I'm assuming.

Tumble 22 just moved up to my #2.  I've now had it a couple of times at the Burnet location, and it was great.

Top Notch is still in my top 3.  It's not hot chicken like the other two, but I'm trying not to hold that against it. :)

For the basic stuff Bush's is hard to beat. There's one down around Slaughter and Brodie. Top Notch also fits the bill for basic.

Max's Wine Dive had great fried chicken a few years back, but I haven't eaten there since I quit working in that part of town.

cooling off on T22. last time i had a mouth full of powder. and that was the medium or regular or whatever, which i thought didn't get any extra spice. 

and i love spice. just not in powder form

will try their sandwich soon though. haven't gotten around to that

still go popeyes, and still go hard. 

On 11/9/2018 at 10:41 AM, staboner said:

cooling off on T22. last time i had a mouth full of powder. and that was the medium or regular or whatever, which i thought didn't get any extra spice. 

and i love spice. just not in powder form

will try their sandwich soon though. haven't gotten around to that

still go popeyes, and still go hard. 

I got the "mo hot" I think, and the last time it definitely had some powder.  Powder?  Cue the surly cocaine mob in 3...2...1...

It was a little off-putting, I didn't experience that the first couple times. Still need to try the sammich, tho...

On 11/16/2018 at 10:59 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Anybody try J.T. Youngblood's?  I just found out an old friend is a backer.  He told me the story of the original Youngblood's, along with Jeffrey Weinberger's resurrection of the concept.

I haven't tried it, but there's some discussion of it on this "rogue" chicken thread right here:

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/2058-t22-and-other-fried-chicken/

Also, I recall some folks on the old shag thread  that liked it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/15/2018 at 7:28 AM, utee94 said:

I got the "mo hot" I think, and the last time it definitely had some powder.  Powder?  Cue the surly cocaine mob in 3...2...1...

It was a little off-putting, I didn't experience that the first couple times. Still need to try the sammich, tho...

if you ask for extra "sauce" on the side, it is a powder.

still alright if it's cooked properly.

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2019 at 10:57 AM, jimmyjazz said:

I grabbed some Top Notch for the family on the way home the other night.  I gotta say, it's a long way from my favorite.  Very underseasoned.  I liked the batter but it needs more salt and pepper, and maybe some cayenne.

Fair enough... name your favorites that are better?

34 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Fair enough... name your favorites that are better?

I haven't had much fried chicken in Austin that's worth the price, beyond chain outfits and grocery stores.  Seriously, KFC Original is flavored better than most I've tried.  Lucy's sucked -- BAD -- the last 2 times I tried it.  Flyrite was OK, but that's just sammiches and tenders.  I need to try Gus' because it sounds delicious.

If somebody could figure out how to turn Ranch 616's jalapeno maize chicken into a fried chicken dinner I'd gain 50 pounds in 6 months.

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I haven't had much fried chicken in Austin that's worth the price, beyond chain outfits and grocery stores.  Seriously, KFC Original is flavored better than most I've tried.  Lucy's sucked -- BAD -- the last 2 times I tried it.  Flyrite was OK, but that's just sammiches and tenders.  I need to try Gus' because it sounds delicious.

If somebody could figure out how to turn Ranch 616's jalapeno maize chicken into a fried chicken dinner I'd gain 50 pounds in 6 months.

You and I agree on a lot of things jj, but unfortunately this is pretty much what I expected.  Someone on surly/shaggy shoots down something someone else has advocated, yet suggests zero alternatives.  I mean, everyone gets his own opinion, but KFC sucks and isn't comparable to Top Notch.  Lucy's is terrible, agree with you there.  Flyrite isn't fried chicken and neither is Ranch 616 so not sure why you'd bring it up.?  You should certainly try Gus's, it's my favorite in Austin at this point.  

Overall it sounds like you just don't like fried chicken-- which is fine, but then why render an opinion on this thread? 

Best I’ve had in Austin:

Fixe

Tumble 22 (though it's a slight cut below what you get in Nashville hot chicken joints)

When Jasper’s was still open (miss that place) the fried chicken they had on the brunch menu was outstanding.

For fast food, Chicken Express or Cain’s.

13 minutes ago, utee94 said:

You and I agree on a lot of things jj, but unfortunately this is pretty much what I expected.  Someone on surly/shaggy shoots down something someone else has advocated, yet suggests zero alternatives.  I mean, everyone gets his own opinion, but KFC sucks and isn't comparable to Top Notch.  Lucy's is terrible, agree with you there.  Flyrite isn't fried chicken and neither is Ranch 616 so not sure why you'd bring it up.?  You should certainly try Gus's, it's my favorite in Austin at this point.  

Overall it sounds like you just don't like fried chicken-- which is fine, but then why render an opinion on this thread? 

WTF?  That was a hilariously bad attempt at chicken-shaming me.  I don't even know where to start.  Kudos, I guess.  (Hint:  if I'm posting on the thread I probably like fried chicken.)

20 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Instead of arguing about mediocre, overpriced fried chicken just go grab an 8 piece at Randalls for $7 or whatever the fuck it costs and be just as happy.

2nd Max's, though. They know how to fry a bird. 

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Instead of arguing about mediocre, overpriced fried chicken just go grab an 8 piece at Randalls for $7 or whatever the fuck it costs and be just as happy.

2nd Max's, though. They know how to fry a bird. 

At times that 8-piece at Randall's is $5.  Is it great?  No, there's something in the flavor that is slightly off-putting.  I think it's the oil, but that's just a guess.  It's well-seasoned, though, and yes, better than Top Notch <lulz>.  (It actually is.)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

WTF?  That was a hilariously bad attempt at chicken-shaming me.  I don't even know where to start.  Kudos, I guess.  (Hint:  if I'm posting on the thread I probably like fried chicken.)

Then kudos for the hilariously bad response, I guess?

As alternatives in Austin you suggested a national chain that sucks, and two places that don't make fried chicken.  So... thanks?

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

At times that 8-piece at Randall's is $5.  Is it great?  No, there's something in the flavor that is slightly off-putting.  I think it's the oil, but that's just a guess.  It's well-seasoned, though, and yes, better than Top Notch <lulz>.  (It actually is.)

I like Randall's.

It actually isn't though.  Neither is KFC.  Lulz.

5 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Then kudos for the hilariously bad response, I guess?

As alternatives in Austin you suggested a national chain that sucks, and two places that don't make fried chicken.  So... thanks?

Come on, man.  I'm sorry my suggestions offend you, but that national chain makes better chicken than Top Notch IN MY OPINION.  Stop chicken-policing this thread. 

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Bolero88 said:

The pollo frito at Tropicana on North Lamar is some of the best I've ever had. Half a chicken for $9.50 too. They serve great Cuban food in general. Highly recommend. 

man, thats a new place for me.  will try.  i was looking at the pics online - what is the white sauce on the chicken?  is that like a butter garlic sauce, or...?

On 6/27/2019 at 11:22 AM, Bolero88 said:

The pollo frito at Tropicana on North Lamar is some of the best I've ever had. Half a chicken for $9.50 too. They serve great Cuban food in general. Highly recommend. 

This.

A lot about my neighborhood sucks, but there's a plethora of good, cheap food. At least until it gentrifies.

• 3 months later...