Jeff Sessions forced to resign

Zonahorn

Mark Whitaker is temporary.  A permanent AG will be named later.  That much was stated.
Is it outrageous to think that John Cornyn's name will be in the hat?  As a former Texas AG, he might want that job.  That could get interesting when it comes to filling his Senate seat.  Wonder who might want that seat?
I don't see him taking that. Why would anyone with his tenure take that especially how sessions was treated

Sessions got what he deserved.  Amazing that trump keeps firing the best people but others keep lining up to be his next bitch.  Mattis refusing to send some troops down to the border will make him next to be fired.  And by fired, I mean that trump will send him a text, tweet it, or send John Kelly.   

1 hour ago, used2b said:

Also the new acting AG can spill the investigation details to Trump now.

He was apparently appointed Sessions' Chief of Staff long ago... not long after he publicly expressed his disdain for the Mueller investigation.

1/3 of the senate will be up for reelection in 2020. IF Trump were to win 1/3 would be up in his second midterm, and 1/3 as he's going out. I'd like to think at least the 2/3s not up in 2 years would perhaps not fear a Trump backlash as much for standing up for what's "right". Wishful thinking I suppose, but my maybe, maybe some of the Rs will have a bit more backbone now that the midterms have passed. 

2 hours ago, used2b said:

Nothing matters.

Also the new acting AG can spill the investigation details to Trump now.

Trump is guilty. All his actions point to an awareness of guilt. He's trying to escape the noose procedurally.

Edited by Agent47

35 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

This Matthew Whitaker guy seems like he might help Trump get himself impeached.  What a pair of fucking scumbags.

This bald-headed stooge is cut out of the same cloth as Kavanaugh. A loyal acolyte.

Unreal listening to sound bites of his views on the investigation. Nothing matters.

This guy is just a place holder...after Jan the GOP has the Senate votes to get whoever Trump wants in this job.

I highly doubt that this guy survives a month past that point.

I'd also bet the farm that there is a new AG waiting in the wings...this was on the books well before today.  

Now we wait. 

53 minutes ago, BillyBadAss said:

1/3 of the senate will be up for reelection in 2020. IF Trump were to win 1/3 would be up in his second midterm, and 1/3 as he's going out. I'd like to think at least the 2/3s not up in 2 years would perhaps not fear a Trump backlash as much for standing up for what's "right". Wishful thinking I suppose, but my maybe, maybe some of the Rs will have a bit more backbone now that the midterms have passed. 

Republicans will have to defend 21 Senate seats in '20 with a smaller, meaner, more Trumpian party. Good luck with that.

9 hours ago, LowPressure said:

This guy is just a place holder...after Jan the GOP has the Senate votes to get whoever Trump wants in this job.

I highly doubt that this guy survives a month past that point.

I'd also bet the farm that there is a new AG waiting in the wings...this was on the books well before today.  

Now we wait. 

Can't he serve up to 200 days, in a temporary capacity?  I think that's all the time he'll need, surely Mueller will have this thing wrapped up w/in 6 months. 

15 minutes ago, LongestHorn said:

Matt Whitaker's Appointment May Be Illegal, Fox News' Andrew Napolitano Says

“Under the law, the person running the Department of Justice must have been approved by the United States Senate for some previous position."

Well, bless his heart. 

1 minute ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Can't he serve up to 200 days, in a temporary capacity?  I think that's all the time he'll need, surely Mueller will have this thing wrapped up w/in 6 months. 

I think that's right. There's the possibility that he can get a clearer idea of what Mueller has, and I think he can also produce a revised mandate for Mueller.

What a time to be alive.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Abbott.  Then Dan Patrick becomes governor. 

You know it could happen. Easily.

I know you’re joking, but Trump’s talent pool for AG is pretty small.  Unless he pulls off a huge miracle and somehow makes up Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania somewhere else, there will definitely be a new AG come January of 2021.   Also, any AG candidate knows Trump could turn on him in a heartbeat  

That’s important, because any potential AG is looking at an intense two years that may see Trump spend a lot of time on twitter trying to ruin his/her reputation if Trump isn’t happy.  

And that’s before getting into the Russian stuff.  

There's not going to be a lot of people who want to deal with that shit.  When Sessions started, he probably thought, at least partly, that this would be an honorable way to wind down his career.  Instead, he got to watch his boss, the man who he publicly vouched for when nobody else was, trashing him and doing everything possible to tarnish his career and legacy.  

Sessions won’t be remembered for anything other than being Trump’s little bitch, whom he threw away when it was convenient. 

1 minute ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I actually wouldn’t hate Christie as AG. From what I’ve read he hasn’t always been a sycophant, that’s why he hasn’t been given a cabinet position. I’m trying to be hopeful here. 

Which is why it won't be Christie.  Also Christie prosecuted Jared's father.  

They're just putting this out there to make it seem like Trump is considering "reasonable" options.  It'll be Kris Kobach, Pam Bondi, or Graham, whichever one they feel will protect dotus the most.

3 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Which is why it won't be Christie.  Also Christie prosecuted Jared's father.  

They're just putting this out there to make it seem like Trump is considering "reasonable" options.  It'll be Kris Kobach, Pam Bondi, or Graham, whichever one they feel will protect dotus the most.

Some think this is part of the reason why Christie was pulled off of the transition team and why no meaningful transition even happened. Obama's admin prepared for a year to hand over lessons learned to the Trump admin. In a lot of cases, it never happened.