The Turkey Thread

kevwun

Just now, kevwun said:

Breasts are fine at 160.  Would let the dark meat get a little higher though to 170 or so.

I’ve found most of it to be a little under when parts are probing at 160.  I’d probably cook until the lowest point is 165-170 then let it coast.  The last one I did (spatchcock on grill) was so damn juicy that a lot of it seemed undercooked.  It probed a160 which is “done” but it needed another 5-10 degrees to firm up a little.

15 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I like things that taste good.  And a turkey cooked over coals tastes really good.  In order to do it that way, you have to at least spatchcock it.  And if you've already done that, splitting it completely in half like you would for chickens makes thing work that much better.

You don’t have to spatchcock or split them to smoke them.  Or are you back to talking about grilling them direct heat?

Damn...lotta different methods in this thread.

Need some pics to get this thing on track.

I know, I know, sous vide brisket, yada yada yada but I did read this the other day on serious eats. Claims it is just as safe to pull the breastesses at 150+ so long as you rest for 4+ minutes before serving.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2012/11/how-to-spatchcock-cook-turkey-thanksgiving-fast-easy-way-spatchcocked.html

Wacky science stuff here - https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-chicken-breast.html

7 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Direct heat. 

Oh okay my bad.  Yeah direct heat grill...the more pieces the better.

Cooking the whole bird is a lot more challenging which I think is the fun part.

Pretty sure we can all grill pieces of chicken, or turkey in this case (same thing only bigger) fairly successfully and/or talk about it all year.  To me, Thanksgiving is about the challenge (and fun) of somehow pulling off the whole large bird that most of us don’t do the rest of the year.

Not busting your balls...like what you like man.

On a somewhat related topic, does anyone have any experience smoking Duck?  I know this is the Turkey thread, but birds of a feather and all of that.  I have two 5-ish pounders and was going to smoke with Apple Wood. 

Any pointers on prep work (I know that I need to pierce the skin to help the fat render), cooking temp, etc. would be welcome.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, RichUT said:

On a somewhat related topic, does anyone have any experience smoking Duck?  I know this is the Turkey thread, but birds of a feather and all of that.  I have two 5-ish pounders and was going to smoke with Apple Wood. 

Any pointers on prep work (I know that I need to pierce the skin to help the fat render), cooking temp, etc. would be welcome.  

Leave the head on so it can smile at your guests.  Then, lop off the head at the table before carving.

CompleteWavyAnhinga-size_restricted.gif

On 11/15/2018 at 5:13 PM, After irth said:

Fuck the NYT. That’s what I say to that. 

A lot of people don’t understand it, but to hell with their bland food  

A lot of trending toward dry-brining lately, but I have always got amazingly consistent results with the handful of wet brine variations that I use on, well...everything. Except beef, of course.

I feel ALMOST as strongly pro-brine as my anti-beans-in-chili stance.  

Cannot agree more.  Turkey needs the extra moisture that brining gives it.  The flavor is just a bonus.

3 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

I know, I know, sous vide brisket, yada yada yada but I did read this the other day on serious eats. Claims it is just as safe to pull the breastesses at 150+ so long as you rest for 4+ minutes before serving.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2012/11/how-to-spatchcock-cook-turkey-thanksgiving-fast-easy-way-spatchcocked.html

Wacky science stuff here - https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-chicken-breast.html

hand_sanitizer.png

4 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I’ve found most of it to be a little under when parts are probing at 160.  I’d probably cook until the lowest point is 165-170 then let it coast.  The last one I did (spatchcock on grill) was so damn juicy that a lot of it seemed undercooked.  It probed a160 which is “done” but it needed another 5-10 degrees to firm up a little.

I had this exact same issue last year. Not pulling at 160..

And I have an offset smoker.. So I smoke and have a bed of coals directly underneath to get more smoke in.. 

On 11/19/2018 at 9:38 PM, Gambrinus said:

OK so I'm down with the spatchcocking for my two 12# birds. Gonna smoke with oak charcoal and hickory wood. What do I put in the brine?

I'm using two gallons water, 3 cups apple cider, 2 cups brown sugar, 1 cup kosher salt, 3 tbs peppercorns, 5 bay leaves, 5 minced garlic cloves, 4 sprigs from the neighbors rosemary bush, peel of three large oranges.  Recipe from internets.

Just add turkey.

I spatchcocked and dry-brined a 14lb bird yesterday morning using a thing I read by Alton Brown. It's sitting uncovered at the bottom of my beer fridge. Gonna either smoke it or cook over indirect coals on my offset. Haven't decided yet. I've noticed that really the only thing connecting the leg quarters to the breast/wings is a thin layer of skin. I think I'm going to separate the leg quarters from the breast so that I can easily rotate a couple of times for an even cook, then pull the breast at 155-160 and continue cooking the leg quarters to a slightly higher temp. This way I can put the roasting pan below the grates and catch the drippings so the turkey dry roasts in the grill and doesn't sit in its own juices. I've always wet brined before but I thought I'd try out this version. We'll see what happens.

So, I am going to roast/smoke a turkey in my vision ceramic.  Bird is only 12 lbs and is dry brining right now.  The only issue is I don't have a heat deflector so plan is to have put a cast iron skillet on the grill grate then set the turkey in a traditional roasting pan on the second level grill rack right above the plan - in the pan, it'll be on a roasting rack with some onion/apple in the bottom which will serve to catch the juices, etc.  Planning to try and do it around 350 or so for 2 hours or so (or to 160).  Will probably rub some butter under the skin before putting it on.

Any thoughts on that setup?

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

No need to separate the leg quarters from the rest if spatchcocked.  The breasts and thighs should be finished at roughly the same time.  I just rotate the bird half way through to keep the even cook.

Tailgate last year, I had a little charcoal grill where it wasn't totally "indirect" and since drinking a lot I forgot to rotate and legs were way ahead of the breasts, so a quick slice and the leg quarters came right off and went to far side and I rotated the rest.  So, ideally this wouldn't be necessary but it is a useful improvise method if need be.

No need to separate the leg quarters from the rest if spatchcocked.  The breasts and thighs should be finished at roughly the same time.  I just rotate the bird half way through to keep the even cook.

Yeah, I get there’s no need to. I just don’t see any advantage to keeping them “connected” by a thin piece of skin. It will make rotating the bird, even one time, significantly easier, as I will place the leg quarters in the same position they would normally be in.

Anyway, happy cooking tomorrow dudes and lady dudes!

Made my own Cajun injection.

1/2 cup water
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 stick of butter
1 Tbsp Slap Ya Mama seasoning
1 Tbsp Crystal

About to put this on the smoker. We aren’t doing anything formal since we were out of town until last night so I don’t have to aim for a meal time. Decided on the plane to smoke a turkey for sandwiches.

16 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Sounds about right.  I'm cooking one of my turkeys on the Vision tomorrow at 350.  Cast iron skillet should work just fine as a heat deflector.  I'm planning on 1 1/2 to 2 hours open, 1 hour wrapped with butter ala Aaron Franklin.  30 minutes resting before carving.

are you in austin? i have an extra heat deflector

A friend of mine asked me to smoke a turkey breast, to go along with the one she and her family are doing in the oven. I am going to do it for a couple hours at about 230-250 degrees. I've been spritzing it with a mixture of apple cider vinegar, apple juice & soy sauce.

So far it looks pretty good. I will put the temperature probe in soon. 

I've gotten proficient with beef & pork but this is the first time I've tried turkey.

The coarse pepper makes it looked charred, but it was the most moist and juicy turkey I ever have eaten.

WSM with the vents wide open.  Got up to about 297 eventually, but mostly sat between 275 and 285 F.  Skin had a nice bite. 

GAbm-ETd-E-qzzhez-HZL5f5xc-JKu-Nhi-Z9-Ys

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

Turkey sucks. I made one. It was fine. Juicy, edible, but frankly sucked compared to this:
29891158a82878426a3deec3e1bf113d.jpg

Smoked over very low heat/oak in a tejas stick burner at 180 for 4 hours. Put it in a 450 oven for 10 minutes. It was awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you sure that is not one of those ones you can buy at Sam’s Club or Costco?

just kidding, it looks amazing. What did you use as a rub/crust?

4 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Note for next year. Cordless reciprocating saw is the way to go to cut the backbone out of the bird for spatchcock. Took me all of 45 seconds on a 18 lb bird. 

Note for next year.  Use kitchen shears to separate the turkey backbone. It will take less than 45 seconds and you won't have to wear a haz-mat suit or create what could be considered as a potential crime scene.

1 hour ago, Baboontyme said:

I am smoking my bird Saturday for family feast due to sibling divorce custody things. Note for next year. Cordless reciprocating saw is the way to go to cut the backbone out of the bird for spatchcock. Took me all of 45 seconds on a 18 lb bird. 

Good luck smoking a bird that big. 

1 hour ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Note for next year.  Use kitchen shears to separate the turkey backbone. It will take less than 45 seconds and you won't have to wear a haz-mat suit or create what could be considered as a potential crime scene.

I have heavy duty shears. I've never had an easy time with it. Maybe because I usually am working with a bigger bird.