The Turkey Thread

kevwun

So i've been spatchcocking for the last 5 years or so. But I'm wondering what the negatives would be to butchering the whole bird and cooking the breasts separate from the thighs/legs/wings, and I can't really think of any. Breast meat is done at 160, but I prefer my dark meat to be cooked to around 180. Any reasons I should NOT do this?

3 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

So i've been spatchcocking for the last 5 years or so. But I'm wondering what the negatives would be to butchering the whole bird and cooking the breasts separate from the thighs/legs/wings, and I can't really think of any. Breast meat is done at 160, but I prefer my dark meat to be cooked to around 180. Any reasons I should NOT do this?

It's even better than spatchcocking for temp control, and the only reason not to do it is for presentation, which goes out the window with spatchcocking anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1

Well, I was getting ready to prepare the brine for the turkey and realized I don't have enough room in the fridge to hold both the brine and the turkey. So, how do I do this without the turkey temperature getting too warm and potentially having safety issues?

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Well, I was getting ready to prepare the brine for the turkey and realized I don't have enough room in the fridge to hold both the brine and the turkey. So, how do I do this without the turkey temperature getting too warm and potentially having safety issues?

Add ice.  Then, add more ice.  Eventually, that becomes problematic though from a desired salinity level.

Maybe put the bucket in a larger vessel or cooler and pack ice around it.  Repeat adding ice as necessary.  Not ideal, but . . .

Edited by dcbc

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

I'm not sure what blogs you're reading but the turkey goes INTO the brine so there is no need to make room for both separately. 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2020 at 12:04 PM, irishtexan said:

I take the breasts off at 160, and leave the thigh/drumstick on for another 30-50 minutes.. Its all presentation, and comes apart easier when cooked..

52 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I'm planning on making turkey gumbo with the leftovers, and using the carcass to make my stock.  Never done that.  Any tips?

First, make a roux. 

For the stock or the gumbo?  I'm doing gumbo on Friday.  Using the dark meat to sub for chicken in a recipe I've used before. 

As far as stock, if I go homemade, and it's already roasted or smoked, I'll just chop up the carcass and other bones to fit the pot, add 6 quarts of water, an onion (cut in half), some carrots, bouquet garni or equivalent dry herbs.  Scrape off the smudge that rises to the surface, boil for an hour, then pour through a sieve.  Salt and pepper to taste.  

Like this.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

I have a small second fridge with minimal room. I thought about ice chest, and dumping ice on it to keep cold. Any concerns about rising temps for that on a 24 hour soak?

I have the er, 'advantage' of living in a colder climate but I've done that before in the garage and never had a problem. I've used a cooler lined with a garbage bag. 

41 minutes ago, dcbc said:

First, make a roux. 

For the stock or the gumbo?  I'm doing gumbo on Friday.  Using the dark meat to sub for chicken in a recipe I've used before. 

As far as stock, if I go homemade, and it's already roasted or smoked, I'll just chop up the carcass and other bones to fit the pot, add 6 quarts of water, an onion (cut in half), some carrots, bouquet garni or equivalent dry herbs.  Scrape off the smudge that rises to the surface, boil for an hour, then pour through a sieve.  Salt and pepper to taste.  

I've made chicken stock, but recall someone saying that turkey stock can render more fat than chicken so you need to be more vigilant about skimming the fat. 

I've also never put cooked chicken in my gumbo.  It usually starts raw or at the most browned, and then put in with the stock after the roux and trinity are done, so the chicken cooks with it all for a few hours.  Not sure if you need to hold off on adding the cooked turkey until after the stock cooks down so the meat doesn't string apart.

@Brisketexan, care to weigh in on turkey gumbo?

Edited by South Austin
calling the expert

17 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I've made chicken stock, but recall someone saying that turkey stock can render more fat than chicken so you need to be more vigilant about skimming the fat. 

I've also never put cooked chicken in my gumbo.  It usually starts raw or at the most browned, and then put in with the stock after the roux and trinity are done, so the chicken cooks with it all for a few hours.  Not sure if you need to hold off on adding the cooked turkey until after the stock cooks down so the meat doesn't string apart.

The meat will string apart if you add cooked meat and cook it too long.  For my smoked chicken gumbo, I usually 1) smoke the chicken, 2) let it cool and pick the meat off, putting the meat in the fridge, 3) use the bones, skin, etc. to make smoked chicken stock (refrigerate, scrape the fat and solid grit off the top).  Then when making the gumbo, I add the stock as a big part of my liquid, and add the cooked chicken near the end -- just simmer with it in there a bit.

I LOVE turkey gumbo (turkey stock is so damned good).  And I'd do the same.  Add the stock, then add the leftover cooked turkey near the end.  I've made it before.  Damn it's good.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The meat will string apart if you add cooked meat and cook it too long.  For my smoked chicken gumbo, I usually 1) smoke the chicken, 2) let it cool and pick the meat off, putting the meat in the fridge, 3) use the bones, skin, etc. to make smoked chicken stock (refrigerate, scrape the fat and solid grit off the top).  Then when making the gumbo, I add the stock as a big part of my liquid, and add the cooked chicken near the end -- just simmer with it in there a bit.

I LOVE turkey gumbo (turkey stock is so damned good).  And I'd do the same.  Add the stock, then add the leftover cooked turkey near the end.  I've made it before.  Damn it's good.

spacer.png

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

Yes, I'd wait.  I throw sausage and shrimp in as well (kind of like combo fried rice of gumbo) and wait until there's about 15 minutes left in the simmer. 

/edit.  Just saw @Brisketexan's post.  What he said. 

Edited by dcbc

8 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I have a small second fridge with minimal room. I thought about ice chest, and dumping ice on it to keep cold. Any concerns about rising temps for that on a 24 hour soak?

No issue, I brine a pile of turkeys outdoors in a cooler every year. Just keep plenty of ice in it and keep it out of the sun.

Late freebie turkeys thawing on the left, overnight brining on the right:

1712013388_briningonright.thumb.JPG.09ceabb16559e2bbc06a512ac4eb836e.JPG

Coolers full of brining:

1987328500_coolersbrining.thumb.jpg.999bf55a9688c96adee9baeaf82d4047.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Crushed it. Brined overnight and then hit it with salt pepper garlic. 2 hrs on light pecan smoke and basted with butter a few times. Pulled it off at 150° and rested it for 25 mins, carved off the breasts and sliced medallions. Fantastic. 

D708E04F-AFF5-4376-AEE4-25BA2AA485B9.jpeg

That color looks perfect. Mine turned out too light. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kevwun said:

On the lonestar? They burn so clean that it takes a lot longer to get good color compared to other pits.  I put my turkey in the pan when the breast hit 145 and it had a good dark color.

I roasted mine.  Didn't get the crispy brown color I was looking for, but meat turned out great. 

Anyways, on to the stock for T+1 gumbo.  And the bourbon. 

6-FEBF9-CC-16-CE-49-C5-B8-E7-833-C096-FB

I wouldn't suggest Goode Co smoked turkey to my Aggy neighbor. 

I ordered it sliced which they interpreted as boneless. The white meat was OK, but dry. The dark meat just had this gamey funk that wouldn't expect from turkey.  Almost inedible without dressing and cranberry sauce. 

I'm over turkey until next year.  Beef tenderloin, maybe ham for Christmas. I'll probably switch it up with a fried turk -duck-en from Ragin' Cajun for Thanksgiving 2021.