Mass shooting ar Cali bar

MNLonghornFUKM

2 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

My 2 cents, which isn't worth 2 cents:

Young men need an outlet for all that testosterone. Sports/work/exercise. We've taken our boys and barricaded them into their rooms, given them access to the world via a hand held device and smothered them. They need to be outside smashing rocks against trees like we did. 

Truth. 

This is why I believe that prostitution should be legal in the U.S., all of these guys could've been sexually frustrated and then decided to take it out on the world. 

Open up some brothels and regulate it. Let them smash and everyone is happy.

16 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

Interesting observations here. 

Mindhunter on Netflix was a fascinating show to me in how it depicted the FBI realizing that serial killers actually exist and then creating a profile to determine what they share in common.  Is a mass shooter the (de)evolution of a serial killer or something completely different? Both clearly have no regard for life although it seems most mass shooters have no regard at all for their life either.  

Sort of winging it, but guessing it is a lot harder to be a serial killer these days given science and technology. More cameras, more databases, DNA have to give some pause - many seem to be a weird mix of intelligent and insane, so maybe some are finding other ways to fight their demons.

2 hours ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Yep. Ironically (Sadly) in a world where you can literally have a conversation with someone anywhere in a world via the internet, cellphones, and social media it actually is making people become more and more alone. It's easy to just sit in your house/room with your computer and surround yourself with a make believe world that you will never fit into or be a part of. It's a disease to be liked and instead of going out and having a conversation with friends or anyone for that matter they become more and more depressed until some snap. 

Internet friends are great but people need real face to face interactions and live in their actual real world that is scientifically proven to be better for your overall health. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, SA-KC_Horn said:

Truth. 

This is why I believe that prostitution should be legal in the U.S., all of these guys could've been sexually frustrated and then decided to take it out on the world. 

Fuck. I was wrong. This is the correct take. Dudes aren't slamming enough puss. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

First, hording would tighten up supply making everything more expensive.  Possibly out of the price range of a nutjob.  Second, a seller would be committing an illegal transaction when selling a weapon.  So right now, when they track this shooter's gun purchase, it traces back to the store, and the store has 0 liability.  One thing you will notice when mass shooting events occur is that every single time, investigators have no issue finding the point of sale or transfer that put the gun in the shooter's hands.  If these same mentally unstable individuals are forced to attempt a black market purchase, they'd be leading investigators right to the seller's door.  So the black market seller would be an accessory to mass murder once we change the law to put some liability on the seller.  This purchase is different than the typical black market gun purchase for intentional use.   A gang member isn't going to talk and isn't publishing twitter manifestos, and I don't think changes in the law will stop those targeted types of murder.  It will severely reduce the chance of random mass shooting events, however.

Guns are not equivalent to drugs.  A drug addict is going to be a repeat customer.  Always going back to get a fix.  A mass shooter is a one time customer who will bring the police to the dealer's door.

You’re right that guns aren’t drugs, and the black market wouldn’t be the same. My point wasn’t that it would be the same, just that it would exist. 

I still think that once restrictions on gun sales reach a tipping point, there will be a black market for currently legal guns and accessories. There is already a black market for illegal weapons, ammunition, and explosives, and I think that market would explode (figuratively) if we outlawed items that people can now freely purchase simply because of the massive increase in the number of potential buyers. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

5 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I'm an old, very rarely go into any 51% establishments.  When I do, I'll usually leave my pistol in my vehicle.  I have carried into a couple of biker bars because I didn't want to be the only unarmed person there.  

Oh and I've never been patted down at a bar in Texas in over 30 years of drinking. 

5 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

I have never been patted down at slower bars either, old man bar or otherwise. Pretty much always get patted down at clubs though, and this place seems to fit that description. Dance Across Texas used to pat down on college night in the 90s. I cant imagine you can just walk into a country dancing club in Texas now unhindered. 

I've been to country dancing clubs in Houston and in Dallas this year. There was no patting down, only thing they did was check ID. 

In California, going into a country dancing club, they used the metal detecting wand, before entering. I had to have my keys and wallet in my hands.

21 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

You’re right that guns aren’t drugs, and the black market wouldn’t be the same. My point wasn’t that it would be the same, just that it would exist. 

I still think that once restrictions on gun sales reach a tipping point, there will be a black market for currently legal guns and accessories. There is already a black market for illegal weapons, ammunition, and explosives, and I think that market would explode (figuratively) if we outlawed items that people can now freely purchase simply because of the massive increase in the number of potential buyers. 

Why do you think there would be a massive increase in potential buyers?  Drugs are addictive.  Something like 90 percent of current legal gun owners would never buy a gun again if they were outlawed.  A large portion of current legal gun owners would horde their current weapons, but that isn't all that big a deal.  Manufacturers wouldn't be pouring new guns onto the streets via Wal-mart. Supply would be much more limited.  The market wouldn't explode.  It would get much tighter and more expensive.  With the right connections, you can currently buy black market handguns for amounts that are barely higher than retail.  When Walmart is empty, those prices will multiply by 10.

The big deal right now is that the gun dealers, legal or otherwise, have zero liability for the actions you take with the gun you purchase from them.  They're only on the hook for the illegal transaction itself.  Something fairly new to the War on Drugs is drug-induced homicide.  Several states have laws on the books or in the works.  If you deal drugs, and your buyer ODs, then you're on the hook not only for the illegal transaction, but also his death. 

The larger issue with our current system is that black market gun dealers are much choosier about who they do business with than legal gun dealers are.  And that is because they have something to lose if the police knock on their door.  The solution is pretty simple, even with current laws.  If you sell or transfer a gun to someone, you're an accessory to any crimes they commit with it.

Edited by FondrenRoad

5 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

In the day of instant gratification and constant information, we've disabled our ability as a society to actually engage in social discourse.  Wide open alone-ness.  Communicative introvertedness.  Constant barrages of communication from all directions, none of it with any substance.  We are crippled in our on minds and paralyzed by our own thoughts, living in a big world where we've built insulated caves in our own minds.  

This read like a rant from Tyler Durden in Fight Club. 

• Like 2

I think certain crimes also become popular.  Assassinations aren't really a thing anymore.  Plane hijackings of the 1970s.  Abortion clinic bombings of the 1980s.  Now it is mass shootings.  

It might be that changes in the way we are behave make one less likely so it disappears (e.g., better secret service details, better security at airports), but I think a lot of it has to do with just planting the idea in nuts' heads, and that is why we see trends in it.

52 minutes ago, BlueGreySky said:

+rep You should post that as a lead-in to a separate thread. It would get lost in the regular millennials suck...no, olds suck shitfest threads.

My first reaction to that was that this guy has a very punchable face, and I don’t want to listen to his smugness. But, I’m really glad I listened to all 15:01.

He nails so much of what’s “wrong” with millennials, but spreads the blame around fairly. And the blame is mostly on my generation and a blind corporate world.

I’ve come to realize that my kids became teens and young adults at the exact worst time for me as a parent. Social media, smart phones, etc. went from nothing to everything right before my eyes, but I was always a step or two behind. Parents of young teens and pre-teens now have no excuse for not being aware of the pitfalls of technology. I know I’d raise my kids differently five years later. 

My oldest didn’t get his first smart phone until midway through his Freshman year in college, and he was behind most of his friends. My youngest had hers much earlier, and it’s clear that her earlier exposure has affected her in a much less positive way compared to him. The middle two are somewhere in the middle.

I heard recently about a prominent private school in Silicon Valley that is popular with tech execs. However, the school is basically paper only with little or no computers. And smart phones are banned. It’s like tobacco execs not allowing their kids to have access to cigarettes, except the SV execs are practicing a moderated use of technology. 

2 hours ago, Orange&White said:

I am not sure how your response has any bearing or relation to what I typed. I wan't "arguing" anything.

I was simply wondering why someone would think that, as things stand right now, that anyone would have any difficulty obtaining a gun of they wanted one.

Bruin was responding to your response to FondrenRoad, which you didn't understand as he was theorizing on a how someone could obtain a gun if it wasn't OTC and so easy right now. 

Moving on.

Jimmy Wimpington, some loner loser in the suburbs with mental illness, would have a much harder time obtaining a gun if it wasn't so damn easy right now.  He's not walking into a gang neighborhood looking for an illegal gun dealer. He's not breaking into his friend's house to steal the dad's guns. These people are cowards. It's the EASE of accessibility to firearms that makes their nightmarish fantasies come true.

Notice how practically zero of these lone gunmen have had their guns traced back to some illegal dealer or shady business.  They are buying them legally, or if underage, using their own parent's firearms. 

It is 100% common sense that gun control would lower the amount of these incidents. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SA-KC_Horn said:

Truth. 

It's like you never near JerseyMan's strip club thread.

Most of these guys are too socially awkward to get laid at a whorehouse. 

Or it would make them even angrier that they have to pay for sex.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Lone Star Horn said:

I've been to country dancing clubs in Houston and in Dallas this year. There was no patting down, only thing they did was check ID. 

In California, going into a country dancing club, they used the metal detecting wand, before entering. I had to have my keys and wallet in my hands.

I went to a concert at Emo's last week.  They had metal detectors set up outside.  

I took my hat off, grabbed everything out of my pockets and put it in my hat, and passed it around the metal detector before walking through.  

They didn't even look at what was in my hat.

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What in the blue hell are you talking about?

Teachers get to suggest to parents they get their kids checked and prescribed for ADD/ ADHD.  They do it often.  My wife is one, I've heard quite a bit about it, and their input goes a long way to getting kids put on the meds.  

So far we've id'ed the following causes of mass shootings:

video games

rock music

social media

political polarization

lonely incels

anything else___________?

But, they all boil down to one thing: mental illness. If you kill a bunch of people, you are, by definition, mentally ill.

So, are we going to cure mental illness? Until we do, maybe we should make it a little harder for the mentally ill to get the guns they are using.

Cue "Muh guns!" outrage.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Teachers get to suggest to parents they get their kids checked and prescribed for ADD/ ADHD.  They do it often.  My wife is one, I've heard quite a bit about it, and their input goes a long way to getting kids put on the meds.  

That's a long way from what you suggested.  The hidden implication is that those diagnoses and presumably ensuing medications are somehow correlated with these events, and that's a slippery slope at best.  It's certainly not reasonable to criticize "teacher diagnoses" while diagnosing the greater illness yourself.

Do you honestly believe it would be difficult for, literally, anyone in this country to get a weapon if they wanted one, or are you just trying to set up an argument, or are you just being obtuse?

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that. BUT making it harder to get guns would presumably lead to a reduction in gun access. Is it a solution? Not at all. But if it prevents access for 1 out of 100 crazy people, then I’d say it’s worth whatever additional hoops the rest of us have to jump through.

Now for his dude...former military, no known history of mental illness (per early reports)... I can’t imagine any type of gun control measures could’ve prevented it. Extended magazines on a glock probably shouldn’t exist, but if the reports are to be believed, his first two rounds were kill shots (bouncer, cashier, whoever). So maybe it’s a slightly lesser death toll? That’s a pretty depressing thought. On the other hand, we don’t know yet (and maybe never will) if he tried to get an AR but couldn’t. If that were the case, then maybe we’re looking at a death toll of 20+

6 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that. BUT making it harder to get guns would presumably lead to a reduction in gun access. Is it a solution? Not at all. But if it prevents access for 1 out of 100 crazy people, then I’d say it’s worth whatever additional hoops the rest of us have to jump through.

Now for his dude...former military, no known history of mental illness (per early reports)... I can’t imagine any type of gun control measures could’ve prevented it. Extended magazines on a glock probably shouldn’t exist, but if the reports are to be believed, his first two rounds were kill shots (bouncer, cashier, whoever). So maybe it’s a slightly lesser death toll? That’s a pretty depressing thought. On the other hand, we don’t know yet (and maybe never will) if he tried to get an AR but couldn’t. If that were the case, then maybe we’re looking at a death toll of 20+

I know you don’t mean literally 1 out of 100,  but we’d never know even if it was 1 out of 10. There were roughly 20 listed in the Twitter link posted above.

29 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That's a long way from what you suggested.  The hidden implication is that those diagnoses and presumably ensuing medications are somehow correlated with these events, and that's a slippery slope at best.  It's certainly not reasonable to criticize "teacher diagnoses" while diagnosing the greater illness yourself.

We are for sure an overmedicated society, but I agree I have no idea what that means as for correlation to mass shootings. 

7 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

We are for sure an overmedicated society, but I agree I have no idea what that means as for correlation to mass shootings. 

I think it was discussed in one of the previous thread that almost all of these shooters were on some form of prescription meds at the time. Ssri’s Or add meds I don’t know, but can see why it’s a discussion point. 

50 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I wasn’t correlating that to mass shootings.  It was in response to someone’s comment about “these young men need to be outside, active, and throwing rocks against trees, etc”.    

Im relating it to the point that from an early age now, we are telling our sons that they need to be calm, inactive, indoor people.   They need to be outside playing and expending energy rather than over-medicated.  

Society is telling them from an early age that being a boy is frowned upon.  We want everyone the same.   Our nightly news is telling men the same thing.  That’s not to say it’s ok by any stretch to treat women with disrespect and intimidation...not by a damn sight.   It’s to say that boys and men are different.    They’re rambunctious when they’re young.   Men are still going to be more aggressive, just have to learn to harness it.   But the more we isolate them and Medicate them, the more they will drift into this modern world of introvertedness and depression.   

Edited by Trey3216
Pinche autocorrect
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Trey3216 said:

I wasn’t correlating that to mass shootings.  It was in response to someone’s comment about “these young men need to be outside, active, and throwing rocks against trees, etc”.    

Im relating it to the point that from an early age now, we are telling our sons that they need to be calm, inactive, indoor people.   They need to be outside playing and expending energy rather than over-medicated.  

Society is telling them from an early age that being a boy is frowned upon.  We want everyone the same.   Our nightly news is telling men the same thing.  That’s not to say it’s ok by any stretch to treat women with disrespect and intimidation...not by a damn sight.   It’s to say that boys and men are different.    They’re rambunctious when they’re young.   Men are still going to be more aggressive, just have to learn to harness it.   But the more we isolate them and Medicare them, the more they will drift into this modern world of introvertedness and depression.   

Well, this just makes complete sense. A cogent point and well thought out analysis. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Society is telling them from an early age that being a boy is frowned upon.  We want everyone the same.   Our nightly news is telling men the same thing.  That’s not to say it’s ok by any stretch to treat women with disrespect and intimidation...not by a damn sight.   It’s to say that boys and men are different.    They’re rambunctious when they’re young.   Men are still going to be more aggressive, just have to learn to harness it.   But the more we isolate them and Medicate them, the more they will drift into this modern world of introvertedness and depression.   

All that is complicated by the fact that far too many boys are raised without fathers. That’s how they learn to control their testosterone-fueled behaviors. Is having no father really that much better than having a father who has trouble controlling himself?

Just now, ImissWallyPryor said:

All that is complicated by the fact that far too many boys are raised without healthy male role models. That’s how they learn to control their testosterone-fed urges. Is having no father really that much better than having a father who has trouble controlling himself?

Totally agree on your first point, not totally sure where you’re headed with your question but I’ll address it to say I think those situations are equally bad.  

1 minute ago, Trey3216 said:

Totally agree on your first point, not totally sure where you’re headed with your question but I’ll address it to say I think those situations are equally bad.  

That’s basically my point. Single mothers (or two mommies) can’t show by example how a man should behave. A father who consistently exhibits poor control may be worse than a single mom, but most fathers show control most of the time. A father who can almost always control himself offers something no single mother can offer. I will go out on a limb and say that often a good single dad (rare as they are) can do a better job with daughters because most fathers (not all) can control their daughters better than moms can control their sons once those sons realize that they are stronger than their mom.

19 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I have tears streaming down my face.  The sheer anguish he is going through is gut-wrenching.  Those of us who are parents can feel his emotion but can't begin to imagine dealing with it ourselves.  

you could not force me to watch that... fuck that.

• Like 2