2018 Fishing - Year of the big one

fattyflattie

11 hours ago, housious said:

Anyone have any luck fishing for rainbow trout when TDPW stocks them? I’ve tried the river just past the dam at Canyon Lake and cant catch one to save my life. Tried rooster tails, salmon eggs, and a bunch of other crap with no luck.

unfortunately, nymphs are pretty much the only way to fly fish in the guad.  I've caught many.  was a member of grtu for 10-20 years but let my membership lapse the last couple of years.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

Heading to POC Sat. Any spots that are better than others this time of yesr? Was thinking Pringle.

Looking at the wind for Saturday, looks like it's going to start pumping out of the south in the afternoon.  If I was you, I would wade some San Antonio Bay reefs in the AM and then seek refuge in the back lakes drifting and drinking in the PM.  Cutting back across the bay late afternoon shouldn't be too terrible with south wind and it looks like it's going to tapper off a bit later in the day.  Are you launching at Charlies or POC?  And I guess my recommendations also depend on what boat your'e running.  Good luck, post report. 

18 hours ago, housious said:

Anyone have any luck fishing for rainbow trout when TDPW stocks them? I’ve tried the river just past the dam at Canyon Lake and cant catch one to save my life. Tried rooster tails, salmon eggs, and a bunch of other crap with no luck.

Find an urban/community pond where they are stocking.  Fish it the first few days after stocking. Use something stupid like cream corn or salmon eggs.  That's how I've the stocker's caught before.

11 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

Thanks for the 411. We typically launch out of POC (boat is stored there) but no reason why we couldn’t pull it to Charlies . Running a Majek Texas Slam.

Probably will wade where it is feasible. I do like that South Pass area.

Pringle will get really good when the temps drop again. With this mild wx don’t know how it’s been, I can ask some of my locals down there and see what’s happening.   Must not be too hot, everyone’s been hunting. 

7 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

If you launch at Charlie's, be careful running the cut. It's gotten REeeeeallll Shallow post Harvey. Keep to the right going out and don't let off the throttle until you're past the first channel marker on the outside. I try to avoid it, and my tunnel Whipray will run in spit. 

Yeah I learned this in a Pad V Haynie.  It's...shallow.  Which sucks because Shoalwater used to be tight but doable.

54 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Ask your boy up at LW if there’s anything better for the money than a CCV-X2

He will point me to a Ross, because he doesn't sell Nautilus. Going to have to go across town to Sportsman's Finest for the Nautilus. They carry everything, so I'll get to put hands on a bunch of different ones. There's only $50 difference between a CCV-X2 and a satin finish Tibor Everglades, so I might pick up another one of those. 

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

He will point me to a Ross, because he doesn't sell Nautilus. Going to have to go across town to Sportsman's Finest for the Nautilus. They carry everything, so I'll get to put hands on a bunch of different ones. There's only $50 difference between a CCV-X2 and a satin finish Tibor Everglades, so I might pick up another one of those. 

I own a handful of Ross reels...just not sure what I think about buying salt gear from a company operated out of the Rockies. Think I’d prefer my R&D to take place a little closer to the salt.

tibor...some day I shall own a tibor.

7 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I own a handful of Ross reels...just not sure what I think about buying salt gear from a company operated out of the Rockies. Think I’d prefer my R&D to take place a little closer to the salt.

tibor...some day I shall own a tibor.

Or just make sure to rinse throughly just like you do with spin cast or bait cast gear when using in it saltwater. 

57 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Or just make sure to rinse throughly just like you do with spin cast or bait cast gear when using in it saltwater. 

Buddy has an evo salt that started rusting after a 3 day salt trip we went on...was thoroughly washed each day. His fly shop said they got a few back and Ross called it a “design flaw”.

On 12/26/2018 at 7:30 PM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Buddy has an evo salt that started rusting after a 3 day salt trip we went on...was thoroughly washed each day. His fly shop said they got a few back and Ross called it a “design flaw”.

My Evo R Salt is almost 2 years old now, and is still spotless. I’ve got an OG small arbor Gunnison that’s 16 years old and been used almost exclusively as a Redfish reel, and not a spot of rust anywhere. That said, I think it’s either going to be another Everglades or a CCV-X2. 

My Evo R Salt is almost 2 years old now, and is still spotless. I’ve got an OG small arbor Gunnison that’s 16 years old and been used almost exclusively as a Redfish reel, and not a spot of rust anywhere. That said, I think it’s either going to be another Everglades or a CCV-X2. 

Don't fix if it ain't broke, right?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

i wonder if salt content in the water matters...? the swamp didn't feel real salty to me...not like other places i've been where you can taste the salt in the air...i dunno? i seem to recall his rusted at the drag knob...i think.

Could be. Is he one of those guys that will dunk his whole rig in the water for the perfect release photo for Instagram? Because I don’t do that, and it would definitely up the chances of salt intrusion. 

he doesn't really catch fish, so the perfect release pic is only a dream in his head.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 11:50 AM, The Royal We said:

Another vote for checking out Gordy & Sons.  If I had to choose one place to go on a free for all that would be it.  It's ludicrously expensive, but some of the shit you see in there is amazing.  Last time I was in there I think I bought 4 bass flies and a ball cap for ~$45-$50.

no question the place is incredible.  Their shot guns are about 100 over any other retail, and those assholes charged me 100 for a FFL transfer fee on a gun I had delivered there.  That's just absurd.  but no doubt, it's a great place. 

1 minute ago, ohchaucer said:

I'm failing to see the downside here.   

I've been out a few times since then and had better luck (still ended up drunk). Caught quite a few rainbows on small panther martins. Most of them have been pretty small, but I did catch a couple in the 13-15" range. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, llanoflash said:

walked around on the banks of the Llano river at the golf course and out by Castell.... i couldnt see a single fish.

not a carp, not a minnow... nothing. the water is crystal clear.

afraid the flood wiped it out.

I should neg you for this.

Damn.  Fly fishing the Llano in the summer is one of my favorite things.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

I should neg you for this.

Damn.  Fly fishing the Llano in the summer is one of my favorite things.

but i didnt kill em.

yeah.. catching guadalupes on ultra light is one of my favorite things. i hope i just wasnt seeing them for some other reason..