2018 Fishing - Year of the big one

fattyflattie

Beautiful day on Lavaca bay today off Magnolia Beach. A little windy this morning but it was manageable. Caught a ton of trout, mainly small but wound up with 3 nice ones, a flounder, and some smallish reds. They all seemed to be a half inch short! Caught them all using Down South lures. Plum Chartreuse and Spicy Pumpkin colors. Wanted to use live shrimp under a popping cork but all the shrimp we could find were really small, which seems to always be a problem this early in the spring.

Last winter I built a 1.5 acre pond and stocked it with flat head minnows, coppernose bluegill, red ear sun fish and then came back in the early summer and stocked 100 lonestar legacy bass from Overton Fisheries. I took my 3 year old daughter by to fish a couple weeks back and she caught her first fish solo. Reeled it in herself. Overall we caught 14 perch and 1 bass all on worms.

Image may contain: 1 person, standing and outdoor

Edited by Errestaurants
mistake
  • Like 3

A buddy of mine is going to have his boat back from post-Harvey repairs soon and is itching to get out and fish. Right now we are talking Trinity Bay or Rockport. Trinity Bay because it's close as hell and has some spots with good structure. Rockport because it''s a lot prettier (especially Copano Bay) and he's got a place about 200 yards from the public boat launch.

He's got a big enough boat to have 5 or so on it. Anyone know the good spots or cheap guides we could use? We wouldn't need any of their boats or equipment, just their expertise.

Went fishing at Green Mountain Reservoir up in the mountains of Colorado. Didn’t catch shit. Had a 24”+ lake trout strike at my lure two different times and miss. Had several small lake trout strike and miss or just follow my lure but never take it. Pissed me off.

I live 200 yards from the sand on Jacksonville Beach. I bought a whole setup for myself Christmas, but hadn’t had any luck in 5-6 trips. This morning I went to a local bait shop to see what I was doing wrong. Really sweet old man and wife running the place were tremendously helpful. They pointed me to better double drop leaders than what I was using, sold me some fresh shrimp to use rather than various other baits I’d failed with (bagged sardines, bagged shrimp, fake shrimp, fish bites), and explained that I was probably casting over the channel (I was just casting as far away as I could). Spent the afternoon on the beach kicking ass.

This guy was my first official Florida catch
9664578_C_D35_B_4_CBC_9_A9_B_2_E0_FB4_E9_DD3_B.jpg

Caught two of these ladyfish and released them
2_C4_A0_D97_A94_C_4_CC4_872_B_6_D975_ED6_C986.jpg

Two nice bluefish which I brought home for dinner
E2_D5_E5_DC_952_C_48_F9_98_A2_0_A593439_A608.jpg

Finished the day catching some kind of stingray. Had him pulled in, but he snapped the line when I got close and took off with one of my new leaders. Probably a good thing because I wasn’t looking forward to trying to get that hook out

Good fucking times
5_D773_DC2_ABD4_486_E_BF8_B_7164_CAFCF041.jpg

• Like 4

Went fishing at Green Mountain Reservoir up in the mountains of Colorado. Didn’t catch shit. Had a 24”+ lake trout strike at my lure two different times and miss. Had several small lake trout strike and miss or just follow my lure but never take it. Pissed me off.
No reason to ever fish there. I've never heard of anyone doing well there.

8 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
15 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

No reason to ever fish there. I've never heard of anyone doing well there.

I work with some guys that have fished there. Basically, if you hit the mountain lakes that have lake trout at the right time that the ice is coming off you can do really well. The lake trout get into the shallows for a short period of time to feed after not eating much all winter. I think I was late by a few days.

I work with some guys that have fished there. Basically, if you hit the mountain lakes that have lake trout at the right time that the ice is coming off you can do really well. The lake trout get into the shallows for a short period of time to feed after not eating much all winter. I think I was late by a few days.
If you are after lakers, there are still better options.

4 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
6 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

If you are after lakers, there are still better options.

Turquoise and Granby?

On 4/10/2018 at 10:17 AM, llanoflash said:

working in corpus for the next 3 weeks. any of yall been wading any spots around here. ?

Oso Bay is a good wading spot if you don't mind some mud.  You can also fish on the bay side if you prefer some sand to walk on.  Drive down Ocean Drive, past the college, and park right after the bridge for easy access to both sides. 

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

It's supposed to lay down mid week. I've been thinking about playing hooky Wednesday and heading to Seadrift.

I'll be there Thurs/Fri for practice, then a small tournament. Wx going to come in just in time to f everything up Sat. 

Leave a few 9# slots for me. 

Edited by fattyflattie

the wind has blown about mach 2.5 every day. i tried to wade at sunset lake park at portland.. i was the only person i saw fishing anywhere. wind was just about blowing me over. waste of time.
maybe this week.

Drive down to Riviera. Take a left on 771, drive about 6 miles and turn right on 2510. Go straight on the caliche road when the asphalt curves left. Park where the white truck is. Slowly wade the area I marked. You’ll know you’re in the right spot if you feel Little Rock’s/gravel under your feet. Enter the water right before sunrise.
d14f895cd5215174474cf59df2f80632.jpg
2c9fe6cf95705fbccc679a22b3fbd740.jpg
3fb424d13bd6b004de2062cbc3cd0092.jpg

• Like 3

Throw topwaters if you’re an arty guy. Bone spook jr or bone or pink skitterwalk. Start casting as soon as your feet hit the water and don’t wade out too fast. I’ve caught more 25+ inch trout at that spot than I can remember. A friend won the 2010 STAR tournament right there.  Hopefully the wind won’t be pumping too hard early in the morning. 

• Like 1

Caught a couple Bull trout up in British Columbia.  Our guide put us on them way the fuck in the middle of nowhere, an hour from Fernie B.C. 

He stayed up late the night before to tie some flies for them, literally a big ass jighead with a small piece of red thread.  Was pretty fucking bad ass, each of us caught 2 or 3.

Good luck.

I’m getting the hang of surf fishing with shrimp. Are there any lures i should mess around with too or is that a local question (NE Florida)? If it matters NONE of the artificial or packaged baits I tried worked at all.

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

2000 mile road trip in search of bull trout starts today. Woke up with a nasty head cold, swollen throat and the runs. Nothing standing in a cold river in rain/snow and sleeping on the ground can’t fix.

A shot of your strongest whiskey, barkeep.

sounds like a roofie hangover...sorry about your corn hole.

Lat droppin some knowledge !

4th- That’s a monster Red !

Taking the wife fishing trip in POC this weekend for her bday. God bless her. True story- she is getting wading gear for as a present.

Chandeleur trip is 3 weeks away. Can not fucking wait. I have loaded up with way too much gear.