2020 Presidential Election

Parliament

Now that mid-terms (TOTALLY overrated, btw) are done, we can move to the main event; screaming, kicking, biting, etc over the election of our next President.

Will President Trump even by President in November of 2020?

Who will enter the primary on the Democrat side?

Will Hillary's Parkinsons be too far advanced for her to make a run?

Will Cory Booker be anointed as "The One" long before primary voting?

Will a centrist Democrat get any traction.

Fix some popcorn, sharpen your claws, and drop a roll of dimes in your pocket.  GAME ON!!!!

47 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Trump's base has strenghtened in the South. 

Biden is the only one with a chance of beating him by winning back the Midwest states - PA, WI, and MI. 

Biden would win 40+ states easily. In fact, any moderate Dem will win (IMNSHO) because Trump is going to go Full Trump the next 2 years. A moderate female would take 49 states (fuck you, Alabama).

That being said, the Dems will probably nominate someone from California or Mass who is left of Bernie.

53 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Biden is the only one with a chance of beating him by winning back the Midwest states - PA, WI, and MI. 

Yep. Biden kicks trumps ass if the dems are smart enough to nominate him and it’s for this reason. Which means the dems will probably fuck it up and nominate Hillary/Warren and get their ass kicked again. 

How about a Biden/Beto ticket? Put Texas in play and the Republicans will shit their pants. 

Edited by JimmyJames

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

Yep. Biden kicks trumps ass if he dems are smart enough to nominate him and it’s for this reason. Which means the dems will probably fuck it up and nominate Hillary/Warren and get their ass kicked again. 

How about a Biden/Beto ticket? Put Texas in play and the Republicans will shit their pants. 

Hillary/ Warren might be the only way we have 4 more years of Trump, but the debates would be glorious.

Biden/Beto is a winner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

Trump only won PA, WI, and MI by less than 90,000 votes total.  

Those states flipped Tuesday night, and even rejected statewide candidates that Trump had campaigned for in person.  

Where is Trump going to make up those EVs?  He needs at least 18, and I doubt he’s going to get any state that went for Hillary.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

2 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

Call me crazy, but if Beto runs, I can't see anybody beating him in the primaries, mayyybee Biden. 

he does need a speech coach and to have a deep sense of the issues with facts and numbers. Also needs to become a little more conservative and stop cursing at town halls. But after these adjustments, he's the next Obama.

Has anyone run the math on Governor and Senate races on Tuesday, and then for states that didn’t have one, just default to 2016 Pres election, to see what an electoral college map would look like?  

I know that ignores the personalities of the ultimate candidates in 2020, but given what happened in states like Wiscy, I wonder what that looks like   

Edited by A-Tex Devil

6 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Biden is so old.  Dude would be sworn in at 78.  82 as he's wrapping up his first term.  I just don't think it's possible.

At this point you put up the candidate with the best chance to beat that piece of shit. Beto, as his veep, runs in 2024. 

2 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

At this point you put up the candidate with the best chance to beat that piece of shit. Beto, as his veep, runs in 2024. 

Or Joe resigns a year or two in and Beto nominates Kamala as interim Veep. Noted that this is a bad and unlikely scenario. 

Edited by A-Tex Devil

40 minutes ago, NowThis said:

he does need a speech coach and to have a deep sense of the issues with facts and numbers. Also needs to become a little more conservative and stop cursing at town halls. But after these adjustments, he's the next Obama.

Agree on all counts and I would think that is what he will be working out over the next 6-8 months before he throws his hat in the rink. But no doubt he has that Obama/Trump rock star quality that draws crowds. If we've learned anything over the last decade it's that the candidates that draw the crowds usually do well. 

All the Dems have to do is nominate someone who's younger than 50, is positive and doesn't run on "angry shit about the state of the country" and talks reconciliation rather than "let's throw the fuckers out!!!" and they will win the election.  The last one did - twice.  The last one before that won - twice as well.  The one in between was too angst-ridden - they lost that one.

But, chances are they won't (as was said above), nominate an angry person towards the far left, and fuck up a 4 inch putt.  The last one was 2 inches, and they fucked that one up.

There are at least two Cabinet members that have run for President before.  Any chance Rick Perry gets larger smart-guy glasses, or any of the others within the administration get a bit itchy and start their own campaigns?  Would be fun to see how Trump would react to someone else in the administration running against him.

3 minutes ago, Ollie Slatt said:

Klobuchar is interesting.  I don't know much about her other than she seems likable and is wildly popular in her home state.  Any negatives? 

She's too boring. The Jeb Bush of Democrats. Nobody has a bad thing to say about her and she'd be a great president, but not going to inspire the masses. 

1 minute ago, TexLonghorn said:

There are at least two Cabinet members that have run for President before.  Any chance Rick Perry gets larger smart-guy glasses, or any of the others within the administration get a bit itchy and start their own campaigns?  Would be fun to see how Trump would react to someone else in the administration running against him.

Never use Rick Perry and smart-guy in the same sentence ever again please. 

57 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

Call me crazy, but if Beto runs, I can't see anybody beating him in the primaries, mayyybee Biden. 

He would have tons of work to do.  He got a lot of media publicity nationally, but most Americans really didn't pay attention to him outside of Texas - he''s not nearly as well known as you'd think.  This is why it's rare for a President to not have been a Senator, governor, or well-known military hero.  Representatives don't nearly have that exposure.  You could probably easily rattle off 30 U.S. Senators, but reps?  I doubt you would know 10 beyond the leadership holders.  That's Beto's problem.  Then you have to get people to support you and warm up to you.  A Senator or Governor already has that network and tons and tons of fundraising ability.  Yeah Beto made a huge bank in Texas, but the great majority of that was from in-state donors (Cruz, on the other hand, having national exposure, had a ton of $$$ from outside of Texas).

Not saying he couldn't do it, but he'd have to get a lot of things happen for him.  Even a big state like Texas is nothing compared to the problem of getting yourself out there in a national campaign.  The other thing I think he'd have to do is go back to what he did before he was shown as losing, and therefore go a little negative, which honestly isn't a good look for him.  He could be that under-50 "unity" candidate that brings in enough Indies to make differences in the Rust Belt states if he sticks to a populist, working class message.  Clinton won those and won himself a Presidency; his wife was 180 degrees perceived otherwise (as a liberal elitist) and lost them.  

If he goes back to a more positive message he's got the youth and down-home charm to maybe make some noise.  But this election shouldn't fool anyone... he's much, much further away from being a national name than it might seem.  But in today's social media world, it might not take too long.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, TexLonghorn said:

Sasse and Flake seem like they're itching to primary Trump. Maybe Kasich, too. Perry would be stupid to jump in with them; so, maybe?

3 minutes ago, Bat Guano said:

Sasse and Flake seem like they're itching to primary Trump. Maybe Kasich, too. Perry would be stupid to jump in with them; so, maybe?

Sasse seems like he has the easiest gig in the world right now.  If I was him I'd do nothing.  He strokes his chin, recites some platitude and posts a picture of his kids, and everyone in Nebraska feels so proud that their R senator is such an intellectual and good guy that they will re-elect him.

5 minutes ago, Bat Guano said:

If any of them are serious about it, they need to get together and draw straws because Trump will be assured victory if it’s more than a two man race.

Saw a fascinating documentary that talked about how the Secret Service go out to randomly chosen grocery stores a few times a week in plain clothes and shop for the White House kitchen so nobody could directly taint the food supply there.  It's very methodical but they also switch it up constantly so nobody can catch on.  Interesting stuff.  

2 hours ago, Ollie Slatt said:

Klobuchar is interesting.  I don't know much about her other than she seems likable and is wildly popular in her home state.  Any negatives? 

She's popular in the cities in the southern half of the State.  Fortunately for her, that's plenty of votes to get (re)elected.

Edited by Parliament