Can RUSH continue on without Neil Peart? Maybe.

Hornius Emeritus

Not if Geddy told the truth. He took the soap box on that very issue on R40. And specifically mentioned that all three were more then financially solvent and didn’t need the money.

And that when they started the bad they agreed that things like song royalties, when and where to tour, etc were always to be shared. And that any direction the band would take would always be a unanimous decision.including to dissolve if one of the three said they had, had enough. Something they faced when Neil’s wife passed. 

Now I am aware things change. But to tour under the name Rush would make me think a little less of a band that I have been a huge fan of since the early 70’s. 

The caveat is trademark. It is now a very real thing to lose that if the band stops being a band. And discontinues production of music or stops touring. That may give the three pause to do a show here or there to prevent any other entity from using their shit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hamttx said:

Not if Geddy told the truth. He took the soap box on that very issue on R40. And specifically mentioned that all three were more then financially solvent and didn’t need the money.

And that when they started the bad they agreed that things like song royalties, when and where to tour, etc were always to be shared. And that any direction the band would take would always be a unanimous decision.including to dissolve if one of the three said they had, had enough. Something they faced when Neil’s wife passed. 

Now I am aware things change. But to tour under the name Rush would make me think a little less of a band that I have been a huge fan of since the early 70’s. 

The caveat is trademark. It is now a very real thing to lose that if the band stops being a band. And discontinues production of music or stops touring. That may give the three pause to do a show here or there to prevent any other entity from using their shit.

Geddy's not on about this because of the money. He's... all but said outright that he's not at all happy with Neil retiring, because he still wants to play, record, and tour. He doesn't want to stop doing it because it's his life and what he enjoys doing.

Neil is being realistic. He's done, and he knows it.

Alex, I think, is also done with touring physically -- arthritis is a bitch -- but I suspect he doesn't really want to stop, doesn't want to let his best friend down, either. He's maybe more done physically than Neil, but mentally is not willing to accept it as much, perhaps.

It has nothing to do with money and everything to do with something more emotional, the same shit that drove them to be what they became.

• 2 months later...

Since I couldn't find a de facto Rush thread, I figured I would post here.  I watched the big interview with Geddy Lee last night and it was awesome.  I'd never seen him interviewed before I really enjoyed listening to him tell the stories of how Rush came about.  I also watched the "Farewell to Kings" special afterwards and was just amazed at the history of the band and the reverence that a lot of people in the music industry held for them.  I'm a "fan" of Rush, but mostly of their biggest hits (Red Barchetta, Fly By Night, Tom Sawyer,  Spirit of the Radio, etc).  Growing up in SA, it was impossible to escape Rush, so you kind of became a fan be default.  At any rate, I came away extremely impressed with how thoughtful all three members of the band were.  I really didn't know how many of the songs' lyrics were written by Neil.  I always just figured he was just a God that had take human form to play the drums for a while.  

As for the spirit of this thread, there is no way that Rush could tour without Neil imo.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

They should just upgrade to Meg White. 

12 hours ago, Hate said:

Since I couldn't find a de facto Rush thread, I figured I would post here.  I watched the big interview with Geddy Lee last night and it was awesome.  I'd never seen him interviewed before I really enjoyed listening to him tell the stories of how Rush came about.  I also watched the "Farewell to Kings" special afterwards and was just amazed at the history of the band and the reverence that a lot of people in the music industry held for them.  I'm a "fan" of Rush, but mostly of their biggest hits (Red Barchetta, Fly By Night, Tom Sawyer,  Spirit of the Radio, etc).  Growing up in SA, it was impossible to escape Rush, so you kind of became a fan be default.  At any rate, I came away extremely impressed with how thoughtful all three members of the band were.  I really didn't know how many of the songs' lyrics were written by Neil.  I always just figured he was just a God that had take human form to play the drums for a while.  

As for the spirit of this thread, there is no way that Rush could tour without Neil imo.

If you haven’t seen “Beyond the Lighted Stage,” documentary, watch it.

Edited by Rip76

No way they continue without Neil.  I understand he is not just retired from Rush, he has quit drumming all together.

But I would love to see Geddy and Alex do some project, but it won't be Rush.  I know Geddy has still got a lot left in the tank, and it is clear if you watch the documentary about the last tour he was frustrated if not mad all together with that decision.  But it looks like he has come to terms with it now.

His new book about his 280 bass collection is awesome.  They just did a book signing at the RRHOF and Alex interviewed Ged about the book.  There is a pic in it, where he and Alex are holding a bass and a guitar.  They were made by Fender for them from the wood from a door from the now gone Le Studio where they recorded Moving Pictures.  When they were given to them, Alex said he was visibly moved.

They could always hire my ex BIL. He was a massive Peart fan and he learned to play all their stuff. He was pretty decent at it, last I saw him play, That was 15 years ago, I am sure he has only gotten better at it. Note: This is said with a little sarcasm, even though he was decent for otherwise being a  general dumbass.

Edited by bamachine

15 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

It would be cool to see Geddy & Alex form a great rhythm section along with a stellar drummer, but with a 4th as singer.  Maybe go back to that early hard rock sound, more Zep, less Rand.

Drummer from Dream Theatre.

An up and coming young singer.

Just create a whole new sound.

On 1/24/2019 at 12:33 PM, bamachine said:

They could always hire my ex BIL. He was a massive Peart fan and he learned to play all their stuff. He was pretty decent at it, last I saw him play, That was 15 years ago, I am sure he has only gotten better at it. Note: This is said with a little sarcasm, even though he was decent for otherwise being a  general dumbass.

"How do most guitarists feel about drummers, Alex?"

tenor.gif?itemid=9683196

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

I come back to this thread occassionally and am reminded that Meg White was more positively received than Jon Theodore. 

Massive tits aside surly gonna surly 

She was definitely the best half of the Wipe Stripes.