Active Measures, Disinfo, Propaganda

Grandioso

DC-area radio station told to register as Russian agent 

https://apnews.com/aaff3683767a430fb759c3a864322b00

WASHINGTON (AP) — The owner of a Washington, D.C., area radio station that broadcasts Russia-based Sputnik International 24/7 has been ordered to register his Florida-based broadcasting company as a foreign agent.

U.S. District Judge Robin Rosenberg ruled Tuesday that RM Broadcasting must register with the U.S. government. RM and a Russian government-owned news agency, Rossiya Segodnya, agreed in 2017 that the station would broadcast the agency’s communications continuously without edit until 2021.

The Justice Department told RM and its owner, Arnold Ferolito, in 2018 that the station was acting as a “publicity agent” for the Russian agency. It said RM would need to register as a foreign principal under the Foreign Agents Registration Act of 1938, originally adopted to fight Nazi propaganda. Ferolito asked the court to rule on the matter, arguing that RM only buys and resells airtime.

But the judge sided with the Justice Department, ruling that RM acts under the direction or control of the Russian entity and is its publicity agent as it airs its material without change. She said that under the law, RM’s assertion that it has no input or knowledge of Rossiya Segodnya’s programming and no intent to advance Russia’s interests is irrelevant.

The Foreign Agents Registration Act was adopted during the lead up to World War II to protect national security. It requires any person or company engaging in propaganda or other activities for foreign governments and interests to register so that Americans may consider “statements and actions in the light of their associations.”

RM Broadcasting attorney Nicole Waid said Wednesday that the company is deciding whether to appeal.

“The goal here is bigger than any one election,” said Daniel Jones, a former F.B.I. analyst and Senate investigator whose nonprofit group, Advance Democracy, recently flagged a number of suspicious websites and social media accounts to law enforcement authorities. “It is to constantly divide, increase distrust and undermine our faith in institutions and democracy itself. They’re working to destroy everything that was built post-World War II.”

The European Parliament elections, which will be held between May 23 and May 26, are regarded as a test of rising populism in the European Union. Populist leaders, many of them sympathetic to Russia, have loosely joined together in hopes of expanding their influence in the Parliament and, in turn, redirecting or subverting policymaking in Brussels.

Intelligence officials have not publicly accused the Kremlin of backing specific candidates in Europe in the way that American authorities say that President Vladimir V. Putin sought to promote Donald J. Trump in 2016. But Mr. Putin has long sought to divide the European Union, and has supported populist movements that seek to undermine the bloc from within.

It is nearly impossible to quantify the scale and resonance of the misinformation. Researchers say millions of people see the material.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/russian-documents-reveal-desire-sow-racial-discord-violence-u-s-n1008051

The blueprint, entitled “Development Strategy of a Pan-African State on U.S. Territory,” floated the idea of enlisting poor, formerly incarcerated African Americans “who have experience in organized crime groups” as well as members of “radical black movements for participation in civil disobedience actions.”

The goal was to “destabilize the internal situation in the U.S.”

7 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Unreal. Second comment. 

Putin tends to be right most of the time

bottom of page one... holy shit

It’s well beyond time for Putin to get his state dinner at the WH. Bring in Salvini, Le Pen, and Orban and start boosting them as an alliance.

10 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Wow. That’s an absolute troll wasteland. 

The good news is there is no way that accurately reflects the opinions of most people in Louisiana, since most of that demographic can barely log on to a computer much less post all that drivel on tiger droppings. The putin love is just too obvious. Most people in Louisiana probably think Putin is the mayor of Houston, and aren’t sure if they like him or not. 

I can now see how you believe that site gotten taken over by trolls. There is no doubt that’s what is going on there. 

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

And you people make fun of me and my ledge. The awful truth is that as bad as I say it is....it’s actually worse.

This country is gleefully looking forward to turning into a fascist authoritarian ethnostate. It’s our destiny, at this point.

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5cfdd12a4a35416c59

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Oh I agree.  This is the perfect thread for irony. 

Don’t worry Anastasis, they haven’t figured out all your trolling techniques yet, unlike the one you’re doing now known as “dismissing the critic” over specious bullshit.  

Now tell me, what makes the author of that tweet not credible?  

Kate's Homepage

I am an Assistant Professor in the Department of Human Centered Design & Engineering at the University of Washington. My research sits at the intersection of computer science and social science and falls within the fields of Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) and Computer-Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW). One major focus of my work examines the use of social media during crisis events, specifically looking at how the converging audience (aka, the "crowd") can contribute—and is already contributing—to crisis response efforts.

Using a combination of empirical methods, including qualitative, computational and network analysis, I examine both small group and large scale interaction online within the context of disasters and other mass disruption events, studying how digital volunteers and other members of the crowd work to filter and shape the information space. 

90BA27C1-D4E9-42E1-93D0-2A8789018547_zps

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1