2019 C Will Baker

texifornia

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Texas center Will Baker enters NCAA transfer portal 

ByJEFF HOWE 13 minutes ago

Texas sophomore center Will Baker has entered the NCAA transfer portal. Baker didn’t play in a season-opening 91-55 win the No. 19-ranked Longhorns scored over UTRGV on Wednesday.

“We are very grateful for Will’s contributions to our basketball program,” Texas head coach Shaka Smart said in a statement released Saturday addressing Baker’s departure. “We wish Will all the best as he pursues his next opportunity.”

Baker averaged 2.1 points and 1.9 rebounds per game in 23 games as a true freshman last season. The Austin Westlake product who came to Texas as the No. 35 overall prospect in the 247Sports Composite in 2019 played his best basketball of the 2019-20 season over the final six games when he averaged 14.1 minutes per game (more than his season-long average of 8.3 minutes per game) in helping the Longhorns win five games in a row to get back on the NCAA Tournament bubble before the COVID-19 pandemic forced the cancellation of the Big 12 Tournament and March Madness.

In the six-game stretch, Baker averaged 5.5 points per game and shoot 48 percent from the floor. The 6-foot-11-inch Baker was 5-for-14 from 3-point range after connecting on only one of his first 25 attempts from beyond the arc.

This story is developing and will be updated.

• Hook 'Em 1

Not sure if evaluators were way off or if he was just a bust. Either way, he never looked close to being a 5* recruit his freshman year. I’m sure that height made him look a lot better in highschool when he was playing against smaller guys, inflating his stats and whatnot. You need more than height to succeed in D1

3 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

He had the worst statistical season last year of any player I can remember.   At one point with only a few games left in the season he was shooting like 15% FG%, 4% 3PT%, and 10% FT%.   I’m not sure what kind of transfer opportunities he’s even going to have after that, despite his recruiting ranking.   The only comparable guy I can think of is Neil Fingleton, who was a giant 7’5”ish guy that went to UNC when they sucked with Matt Doherty as coach, and then had to transfer to like Holy Cross or something because he was so out of place whenever he was on the floor.  

That's what makes that game against TCU so damn funny. Disregard the 4-6 3pt effort from that night, and he was a robust 2-33 from downtown in all his other games. But he was making it rain that night. 

On 2/18/2019 at 4:35 PM, Rockethorn1978 said:

I know tons of guys that played with a broken finger that’s taped up. I guess it depends how bad the break is and is it the shooting hand middle finger or non shooting hand pinky?

Not sure about playing with a broken finger, but I've managed to watch most of the Shaka era with a broken heart. 

• 1 month later...