1. DL 2. DL 3. DL

Rimbo

no i don't.  i am very happy.  especially with this class.  just need to focus on getting more interior line on both sides at this point.

sweat is a project guy who needs a redshirt and time with s&c if he is going to be a true nt.  if todd is going to keep letting himself get gashed to fuck all with this 3-3 set, sweat seems more like an ideal end in that role (the omenihu spot).  we are actually in decent shape there with michael williams, bimage, graham, ossai...possibly carson(?) with the addition of sweat. but at the nt spot in that retarded scheme, we are going to be relying on wilbon and christmas-giles (likely chisolm), with coburn and possibly ojomo in rotation.  not loving the look of that.  we have seen what that looks like when nelson hasn't played and it ain't pretty.  that is an injury or two away from a bad situation.  hence my now apparently infamous desire to get a juco or gt dt in the lineup.

11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Sweat is a completely normal college DT take. Most kids Coburn's size in high school are eating their way out of a scholarship. You just want to be unhappy at this point. 

I think calling him a "completely normal college DT take" is a bit of an understatement.  He's on a similar trajectory to Hassan Ridgeway who totally wrecked shop as a DT when healthy.  We should all very much have the excites about Sweat.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

That's the point. The staff prefers to grow their defensive tackles from ends with good frames.

With Wilbon, Coburn, and maybe even Ojomo, we don't need Sweat to contribute for a year or two.

i am very pro that concept.  but we currently have a dearth in there between the upcoming redshirt seniors and the true sophs/redshirt fresh. we are in trouble quick if there are one or two injuries in there...and we know how that goes.

1 minute ago, sidis said:

no i don't.  i am very happy.  especially with this class.  just need to focus on getting more interior line on both sides at this point.

sweat is a project guy who needs a redshirt and time with s&c if he is going to be a true nt.  if todd is going to keep letting himself get gashed to fuck all with this 3-3 set, sweat seems more like an ideal end in that role (the omenihu spot).  we are actually in decent shape there with michael williams, bimage, graham, ossai...possibly carson(?) with the addition of sweat. but at the nt spot in that retarded scheme, we are going to be relying on wilbon and christmas-giles (likely chisolm), with coburn and possibly ojomo in rotation.  not loving the look of that.  we have seen what that looks like when nelson hasn't played and it ain't pretty.  that is an injury or two away from a bad situation.  hence my now apparently infamous desire to get a juco or gt dt in the lineup.

I think you underestimate how much Orlando wants his NT to be a stunter and not a two-gapper.  We've been forced into having the NT two-gap some this year, because it's the NT skillset that Nelson and Wilbon both have.  But we asked Poona to do almost zero two-gapping last year, and we had a much more disruptive DL in the run game.

Orlando doesn't want or need a 320 pound NT.  He'd prefer a 290 pound guy with a long wingspan who can create penetration on zone plays.

11 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I think you underestimate how much Orlando wants his NT to be a stunter and not a two-gapper.  We've been forced into having the NT two-gap some this year, because it's the NT skillset that Nelson and Wilbon both have.  But we asked Poona to do almost zero two-gapping last year, and we had a much more disruptive DL in the run game. 

Orlando doesn't want or need a 320 pound NT.  He'd prefer a 290 pound guy with a long wingspan who can create penetration on zone plays. 

i agree completely with that...however, we have seen how that goes when you don't have a poona or malcom brown type size/motor/low leverage combo in there...and those guys are extremely rare.  you saw how having coburn, wilbon, nelson etc... worked out when we schemed that role as a stunter against osu.  you have to adjust and he finally did (to some extent) last weekend.  his blitzes work much better imo with a two gapping dt to hold serve in the middle and the de's get a push upfield.  the holes for gary and dbs were wide open to murder purdy all night.  i just think a 20-21 year old size guy with at least average or above talent would really shore up a potential disaster in that spot while sweat, carson, and ojomo continue to develop.

Edited by sidis

The best example of what Orlando wants at NT is Ed Oliver. I watched Oliver in HS for Westfield. We have the next closest player I have seen in HS redshirting. Ojomo is almost an Oliver clone. I watched him at Katy against LT and before he committed to Texas, the first thing I said during the game was that he reminded me of Oliver. They are almost the same size and have very similar explosiveness. Ojomo's first step is violent, like Oliver's, We will take guys like Coburn. But we really want guys that are 6'2 - 6'4 and 275 - 300 lbs that can disrupt like Oliver, Ojomo, Sweat, Warren, Leal, etc..

Edited by Longhorn94

3 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

The best example of what Orlando wants at NT is Ed Oliver. I watched Oliver in HS for Westfield. We have the next closest player I have seen in HS redshirting. Ojomo is almost an Oliver clone. I watched him at Katy against LT and before he committed to Texas, the first thing I said during the game was that he reminded me of Oliver. They are almost the same size and have very similar explosiveness. Ojomo's first step is violent, like Oliver's, We will take guys like Coburn. But we really want guys that are 6'2 - 6'4 and 275 - 300 lbs that can disrupt like Oliver, Ojomo, Sweat, Warren, Leal, etc..

I hope that's true.  But I was super underwhelmed by Ojomo's snaps in the WVU game.

Interesting comments on here. I see Texas doing the same thing on DT as on Guard/Center. Because they want size, frame and agility, AND aren’t getting the elite large players at G/C/DT, they instead are taking larger players with big frames from OT and DE with plans to move them inside. I think it’s a really interesting strategy.

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

can we pin this shit to the top of the board.

If the title gets changed to “Hey Orlando, dime has been dogshit all year and we’re much better in nickel. Oh, and actually rush after Murray.” When we played with a B backer and weren’t just trying to contain Murray, we pressured him a decent amount. Our issues were playing way too much dime and dropping 8.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Yeah, I also think this may become an issue for us.  We’re trending toward a pretty unusual mix of defensive players, unless you want to have 3 man lines without a nose guard and base dime packages.

Most 4 man lines are going to have a nose. Outside of that, the 4i guys are generally either able to play inside at the 3 or SDE. B Backers can play WDE. They aren’t all that different from 4 DL systems that use a stand up DE (Muschamp).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Most 4 man lines are going to have a nose. Outside of that, the 4i guys are generally either able to play inside at the 3 or SDE. B Backers can play WDE. They aren’t all that different from 4 DL systems that use a stand up DE (Muschamp).

This.  We're treating Orlan_o's defense like there's some sort of mysticism involved.

what I saw was our d-line would get a push and then hold, trying to keep Kyler from running. we won last time by going after him and making him make mistakes. letting him have all day by trying to contain him in the backfield wasn't a good move.

• Like 3