Surly's Texas Small Town/Road Trip Gems

PatrickMcHorn

On 8/15/2019 at 5:22 PM, PsychMike said:

Speaking of Bodacious, I'm having to drive to Shreveport and want to hit them up on the way home. There's apparently one in Marshall that would trim some time off my drive but is it comparable? Do you need to go to Longview to get the good stuff?

this is after the fact, but no they aren't the same.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 9:15 PM, Etexhorn13 said:

TBH I grew up in Jefferson and have never gotten the Riverport hype other than to say it’s tasty, but I’ve never been blown away. I will grab a chopped brisket sandwich when I go back to visit my parents, but I’d probably rather get my bbq fix when I get home and go to Pinkertons. I will say that it’s better than all the other bodacious in the area that aren’t mobberly, though. 

seconding this, is it good? yes.

is it damn good for a town of like 2000 people? yes.

but is it worth driving up to from I-20 or down from I-30 like Mobberly? negative. 

it is for my money pretty easily in the top 3 in North East Texas (Bodacious Mobberly, Stanleys, Riverport)

all of that said, Stephen Joseph is a good dude who makes good BBQ.

• 5 months later...
3 hours ago, Longhorn Al said:

Bill's Burgers opening another location.  This time in Lampasas.  It'll be in the old Toupsie's location on the north side of town.

I’m assuming you actually pulled that hand in your avatar. If so, bravo! I’ve only seen it happen live one time. 

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/15/2019 at 10:19 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

House of Burgers and Wings in Corpus Christi has one of the better burgers I've had, particularly for not being too greasy. It also has an outdoor playground with bouncehouses and stuff for kids, so it's pretty family friendly.

Edit: They have pretty good mexican food as well.

Not a bad choice, but my old hometown favorite has always been Snapka's drive in.  In business for 60+ years and their dixie burger is one of the best burgers I have ever eaten.  Having grown up two blocks from the original Whataburger, Corpus Christi has had some great burger history.

• Like 1

Adding a handful to the map and posting here as well.

Fredericksburg

• Caliche Coffee - best coffee shop in FBG, they roast their beans in house plus they have good pastries.
  • Pecan Grove Store - old icehouse (Store was built in the late 50s) located 7ish min north of Fredericksburg on Highway 16. Beer/wine only, kitchen is open Thur to Sat 12 to 8p but on Fri and Sat night they also have handcut fries along with their Dino burgers. Huge outdoor seating area and usually have music on the weekends.
  • Hondos - There is a reason this is one of the most popular places in town. It is on West Main, so may have a problem finding parking on the street, but just park at the bank next door or further down the block past it. Live music basically every night they are open, huge outdoor seating area with fans, dog and kid friendly with a full bar and pretty good bar food.
    • Food recs: brisket mac & cheese, burgers, cheese fries (monterey jack vs nacho cheese, so they are broiled), queso for the table, stacked enchiladas.
  • I moved a couple of places around in Fredericksburg on the map to their current locations

Taos

• The Coffee Apothecary - some of the best coffee I have had in 2020 was from here. Family owned & operated and they roast their own beans in house. MULTIPLE time "Best of Taos" award winners. This is the place that the locals go. No food, but the food truck next to them (Mary Jane's) has great burritos and also has won a bunch of "Best of Taos" awards.
    • Side note: Avoid World Cup Cafe - their coffee is decent but they have the baristas/workers that look down their nose at basically everyone. literally heard the guy say "here is your latte thing" to someone and bitch about someone else's order. plus they are cash only (in 2020 hard to believe these people exist) - plus their folks don't wear masks even after having to close for a while due to positive employee COVID tests like a month prior.
  • Doc Martin's - had a limited menu due to COVID but the Carne Asada over a cheese enchilada was a revelation and one of the best things I've had in 2020. The sofrito rice is the best rice I've ever had (beans were just ok, but the rest was just so good) - I haven't re-made this but it's a great idea I can't believe I didn't think of before now. Full Bar due to their association with the Taos Inn and Adobe Bar inside it. 
    • YAMQ1Jaq
  • Taos Cow Ice Cream is about 15 min north of "Taos" in Arroyo Seco but has great ice cream they make their own. They have coffee and other stuff too but the ice cream is the show stopper - have a number of interesting flavors but even their basic stuff is fantastic

Ruidoso

• Cafe Rio Pizza - thin crust, NY style pizza in Ruidoso on the main drag. They get super busy after about 5p so call ahead or call in in the afternoon to order your pizza for later at night. They have recently been running out some on Fri/Sat night so that's just another reason to do so. Lots of options but a really solid pepperoni and cheese pizza here. Normally they sell by the slice but with COVID i think it is full pizza only. Another place that is really popular with the locals and tourists both.
  • Hook 'Em 4

19 hours ago, pch said:

Not a bad choice, but my old hometown favorite has always been Snapka's drive in.  In business for 60+ years and their dixie burger is one of the best burgers I have ever eaten.  Having grown up two blocks from the original Whataburger, Corpus Christi has had some great burger history.

I grew up on the Dairy King in Taft.   My dad used to work at a phcy right down the street from the original WB.  He ate lots of those burgers made by Mr Dodson there on Ayers.  I still say those old Whataburger places where they took your order on the sack were head and shoulders better than the current ones.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/21/2020 at 1:14 PM, pyrohornIII said:

I grew up on the Dairy King in Taft.   My dad used to work at a phcy right down the street from the original WB.  He ate lots of those burgers made by Mr Dodson there on Ayers.  I still say those old Whataburger places where they took your order on the sack were head and shoulders better than the current ones.

YOU KNOW IT!  That black and white picture of the little league team sitting on the railing while their burgers were being cooked is truly what the good old days is all about.

• 1 month later...
On 4/3/2018 at 11:43 AM, Kyrie Eleison said:

you'd be doing yourself a grave disservice if your bias caused you to overlook the The Pickett House.

https://www.heritage-village.org/pickett-house.htm

I was doing what i do this past weekend, driving to Texas parts unknown, and happened to drive passed this gem.  Something told me to go back.  I didn't even know it was a restaurant.  I turned around because curiosity. After visiting the small museum i walked over to Pickett House.  Man, what a pleasant experience. 

It is a true farm to table experience.  All you can eat freshly baked rolls, jam, churned butter, greens, peas, cole slaw, pickled beets, candied watermelon rinds, pinto beans, mashed potatoes, jalapenos, some of the best chicken and dumplings I've eaten and fried chicken that was alive a few days before.   I was embarrassed to have only paid $12per.  Oh yeah, peach cobbler and coffee for desert.  Damn.  If you are anywhere near the area this is a must stop for those who appreciate southern home style cooking.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 6 months later...

If your near Hunt, TX, The Farmer Bowl at the link below is a can't miss.  It includes cheesy grits with cabrito sausage.  Two things that easily go wrong and most don't like but that were superbly done.  The old lady next to me wanted to venture out and asked me about Cabrito after she heard me order it but still looked concerned.  She was grateful for the encouragement/info and raved about the choice.    

http://bridgetsbasket.com/menus-1

After i posted this I was instructed to mention that this non lover of brie cheese ate every bite of there waffles that was topped with brie smothered in cajeta.  

Edited by RollLeft
  • Hook 'Em 3

• 3 months later...

If any of you are heading to western KS for pheasant season, I will recommend the Barn in Burrton, KS. Burrton is on US-50, pretty much where the transition from quail country to pheasant habitat begins. They have a chicken fried steak that's as good as any I have had in Texas. It isn't as big as the one at the  Beehive in Albany but I struggle to eat all of that anyway.

https://www.thebarnngrill.com/

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...

Couple of additions from the last few months:

Mad Jacks Mountaintop BBQ (Cloudcroft, NM)

• address: 105 James Canyon Hwy Cloudcroft, NM 88317
  • This is the original BBQ spot in Cloudcroft, there is another down the way from it like 5 buildings but hit up Mad Jacks. He worked at Blacks back in the day, picks up post oak from CenTex and I think his pits are from Lockhart. We got the last brisket of the day, but the pulled pork, sides and beans were excellent. Banana Pudding was too, even for a Texas style BBQ joint. Plus Mad Jack adds on a little more after weighing if he finds out you are from TX haha

Prometheus Pizza (Fredericksburg, TX)

• address: 1180 US-87 South, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
  • Best pizza in Fredericksburg. They use basically all local-ish (to Austin) ingredients, Barton Mills Flour, locally made cheese, etc. It's Neapolitan-style and a food truck that is just far enough off Main St to not be over run by tourists. They are BYOB and you can order online if you want to pick it up and take it back home. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I was passing through Evant, Texas yesterday and got a burger at the Elk Stop. Really fantastic hamburger. I got the western cheeseburger (pepper Jack, jalapeños and jalapeño sourdough bun). It’s unfortunate that it’s in the middle of nowhere, because that’s a damn good burger. 

image.thumb.jpeg.21131651924d4cf00166d50429ba2b77.jpeg

Damnit! I go through there all the damn time and didn’t know it was there. I will be there soon, thanks for the heads up.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I was passing through Evant, Texas yesterday and got a burger at the Elk Stop. Really fantastic hamburger. I got the western cheeseburger (pepper Jack, jalapeños and jalapeño sourdough bun). It’s unfortunate that it’s in the middle of nowhere, because that’s a damn good burger. 

image.thumb.jpeg.21131651924d4cf00166d50429ba2b77.jpeg

my brothers say their breakfast in the back is pretty damn good as well

Address and info for Elk Stop

The Elk Stop

14981 US-281, Evant, TX 76525

Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/The-Elk-Stop-Evant-TX-214072411958480/

Longview, TX area:

From previous posts I support that:

Jucy's is the go to for a burger.

Bodacious on Mobberly is a must for brisket

Country Tavern off of HWY 31 for ribs.

T-Blancos on 322 out towards the airport for Mexican food.

Pizza King on Marshall Ave. (HWY 80) for the best pizza.

Additions to the list:

Leon's Steakhouse Saloon for a fantastic steak and green beans.  It is on S. Eastman Rd. just North of I-20. A straight up looking dive but great food and live music.

Duke's Fish Shack for great catfish.  It is basically next door to T-Blancos.  Again, it is a not an attractive place but it has great food.

Closures:

Dudley's in Longview is no longer open though I think he still does a bit of catering.

Neely's in Marshall closed about a year ago after 90+ years in business.

Other:

Nanny Goats is good but it is not my crowd.

On 1/6/2022 at 11:11 AM, Lat22 said:

Better than Chente's?

I stopped there a couple of weeks ago on way to SA.  Had not been there in years and it was not very good.  

Side Door Cafe (Falfurrias) blows it away.

Edited by cabowabo
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, cabowabo said:

I stopped there a couple of weeks ago on way to SA.  Had not been there in years and it was not very good.  

the enchiladas are still good, their carne g was lacking. too much competition in town now 

On 6/15/2019 at 10:19 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

House of Burgers and Wings in Corpus Christi has one of the better burgers I've had, particularly for not being too greasy. It also has an outdoor playground with bouncehouses and stuff for kids, so it's pretty family friendly.

Edit: They have pretty good mexican food as well.

within spitting distance of Bottom's Up !!!

1 hour ago, cabowabo said:

Feliz Amanecer

4551 Violet Rd, Corpus Christi, TX 78410

my favorite place anywhere near corpus, place is just damn good 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 months later...
On 12/3/2021 at 9:49 AM, NoName said:

Couple of additions from the last few months:

Mad Jacks Mountaintop BBQ (Cloudcroft, NM)

• address: 105 James Canyon Hwy Cloudcroft, NM 88317
  • This is the original BBQ spot in Cloudcroft, there is another down the way from it like 5 buildings but hit up Mad Jacks. He worked at Blacks back in the day, picks up post oak from CenTex and I think his pits are from Lockhart. We got the last brisket of the day, but the pulled pork, sides and beans were excellent. Banana Pudding was too, even for a Texas style BBQ joint. Plus Mad Jack adds on a little more after weighing if he finds out you are from TX haha

Prometheus Pizza (Fredericksburg, TX)

• address: 1180 US-87 South, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
  • Best pizza in Fredericksburg. They use basically all local-ish (to Austin) ingredients, Barton Mills Flour, locally made cheese, etc. It's Neapolitan-style and a food truck that is just far enough off Main St to not be over run by tourists. They are BYOB and you can order online if you want to pick it up and take it back home. 

The Cloudcroft place is pretty good for a NM bbq joint.  I’ve been there once.  The in-laws had a place in Ruidoso for a couple of years and the wife had never been to White Sands.  So we veered south on the way home.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I guess this is a good place to post this.

May head up to Somerville tomorrow to visit my grandmother’s grave site, go by her old house, etc.

Any good places to eat between the Woodlands and Somerville/Brenham?

Doesn’t matter what route.

• Hook 'Em 1