Surly's Texas Small Town/Road Trip Gems

PatrickMcHorn

Henderson: Hazel's Country Cooking is right on the main intersection in a crappy two-story strip center.  For lunch, Hazel does a buffet that isn't particularly fancy, but it is magical.  The time I went, there was this link sausage with the strangely smokey-sweet barbeque sauce that instantly transported me back to my grandmother's kitchen.  She served me the exact same thing when I was a kid.  I swear, I hadn't thought about that dish in thirty years.  

San Angelo: Concho Pearl Ice House is a great stop if you're heading to New Mexico from Austin.  There's a backyard playground for the kids, so they can burn off some energy while the grown-ups get a beer.  The brisket-stuffed avocado is outstanding.

Edited by Ghost of LL

Jacksboro: Herd's Hamburgers on 281. Tiny little joint with old school desks and Dr.Pepper crates for seating inside. Only bottled drinks and chips (no fries). Did I mention it's the best hamburger on the face of this planet? Handmade patties using fresh beef on the same grill from the original stand in 1916. 

CeWJdvsUkAIS2V1.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

How do you add to the map?

It was set so that only Northloop and I could edit it, IIRC, because shit started getting deleted and/or fucked up.  I set it now so that anyone with the link can edit, but it's not publicly available if you don't have the link.  Here you go:  link to edit

On 3/27/2018 at 9:13 AM, RPM said:

Jacksboro: Herd's Hamburgers on 281. Tiny little joint with old school desks and Dr.Pepper crates for seating inside. Only bottled drinks and chips (no fries). Did I mention it's the best hamburger on the face of this planet? Handmade patties using fresh beef on the same grill from the original stand in 1916. 

CeWJdvsUkAIS2V1.jpg

Holy hell.....haven't been to Herds in decades!  God help me, that place is amazing.  How did I forget about that little gem!

• Like 1

Thank you, @PatrickMcHorn.  Love this thing.  I added a few, some beyond TX borders if that's cool.

Holly's Drive Inn - Post, TX.  Old school drive in burger joint.
Chilly WIllie's - Arroyo City, TX. Dive bar with great greasy-ass burgers and onion rings.
Route 66 Restaurant - Santa Rosa, NM. Old school diner and greasy spoon, good breakfast.
Salman Ranch Raspberry Ranch - Mora, NM.  Not a restaurant, but a great road trip stop.  If it's raspberry season, these are awesome.
Foxy Drive In - Clovis, NM.  Greasy burger drive-in (a theme seems to be developing...).
La Perla Taqueria/Bakery - Belton, TX.  Dumpy, cheap joint with great tacos, amazeballs carnitas, good bakery.
Lois and Jerry's - Bartlett, TX.  Good burgers and CFS, but I haven't been in a long time as they seem to close randomly and aren't open weekends.

Habaneros Mexican grill in Trinidad, Colorado. 508 Nevada Ave. 

Hole in the wall with great authentic Mexican food. Bring your best Spanglish.

Discovered it accidentally when driving about 20 Boy Scouts to summer camp. They loved it so much that they demanded we stop on the way home.  

21 hours ago, chitwood said:

Owl Drug Store in Coleman.  Very cool old school soda fountain.  Good burgers and shakes.

Seconded - grew up going that place.  G-parents lived in Talpa, got shipped off each summer for a few weeks.  Went there all the time.  Was just there a few weeks back.  The entire downtown is finally gaining a little steam.  Now that Rancho Pizzeria is in, along with their wine-bar, soon to be completed coffee house, and art gallery.  It's a neat little scene.  Couple from Tech even purchased and refurbished the little Inn on the outskirts of town.  I really want to take the rib and stay at the Rancho Loma B&B.

Rancho Loma

There's also Big O's in Valera.  Love that place.  Staple every time we are in town.

Big O's

Edited by BabaYaga

On 3/27/2018 at 8:21 AM, Ghost of LL said:

Henderson: Hazel's Country Cooking is right on the main intersection in a crappy two-story strip center.  For lunch, Hazel does a buffet that isn't particularly fancy, but it is magical.  The time I went, there was this link sausage with the strangely smokey-sweet barbeque sauce that instantly transported me back to my grandmother's kitchen.  She served me the exact same thing when I was a kid.  I swear, I hadn't thought about that dish in thirty years.  

I second Hazel's.  Grew up eating there.

Had to drop Ronnie's BBQ in Johnson City onto the list. I grew up there and went to school with owner Ronnie Weirshausen back in the day. He still uses quality briskets and smokes them low and slow. Consistently good. Buttermilk pie is solid, too. Just don't try showing up much after 1:00 p.m., though, or you might come up empty.