Surly's Texas Small Town/Road Trip Gems

PatrickMcHorn

4 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

Is it worth stopping at ? We usually just hit Whataburger on the way back. I didn’t know there way anything in Nixon worth stopping at.

Yes, we like their sliced brisket sandwiches.  Good comments on their ribs, which I plan to try sometime.  Don't know if pork or beef.  Brisket baked potato and brisket chili pie are okay.

It's in downtown Nixon on SH 80.

Edited by abuelo gringo

On 3/28/2018 at 7:15 PM, stupidgringo said:

Anything near Mount Pleasant, TX? I have to go up there quarterly for a meeting and usually pre-meet with folks for lunch at Blalock BBQ. The people who run it seem nice, but Blalock BBQ doesn't belong on this list.

Mt Pleasant Burger and Fries is a good choice!

Edited by NoName

On 3/29/2018 at 10:47 AM, BabaYaga said:

Seconded - grew up going that place.  G-parents lived in Talpa, got shipped off each summer for a few weeks.  Went there all the time.  Was just there a few weeks back.  The entire downtown is finally gaining a little steam.  Now that Rancho Pizzeria is in, along with their wine-bar, soon to be completed coffee house, and art gallery.  It's a neat little scene.  Couple from Tech even purchased and refurbished the little Inn on the outskirts of town.  I really want to take the rib and stay at the Rancho Loma B&B.

Rancho Loma

There's also Big O's in Valera.  Love that place.  Staple every time we are in town.

Big O's

I almost replied with this exact same post.  My extended family is from Coleman.  Spent many a summer there including my college summers working on a few ranches.  

Robert and Laurie, who own Rancho Loma and Rancho Pizza are great friends and really good people.  When they first opened Rancho Loma it was affordable enough that as a college kid I could take a date there.

Big O's is also a family staple for us. 

1 minute ago, BlueGreySky said:

I almost replied with this exact same post.  My extended family is from Coleman.  Spent many a summer there including my college summers working on a few ranches.  

Robert and Laurie, who own Rancho Loma and Rancho Pizza are great friends and really good people.  When they first opened Rancho Loma it was affordable enough that as a college kid I could take a date there.

Big O's is also a family staple for us. 

I was there this weekend.  Took my oldest fishing, filled a few feeders.  Just getting out of town.  Hit Rancho Pizzeria for dinner as always.  I put that place up with Cane Rosso and Grimaldi's in DFW.  Skipped Big O's, as caught bass turned into tacos.  Drove around the backside of the T-Bone Ranch as I'd always wondered what the other side of the place looked like.  I heard the Goree family are friends with the Rancho owners who worked at Texas Monthly and introduced them to the area.  Still haven't checked out the wine bar across the street from the pizza place.

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

I was there this weekend.  Took my oldest fishing, filled a few feeders.  Just getting out of town.  Hit Rancho Pizzeria for dinner as always.  I put that place up with Cane Rosso and Grimaldi's in DFW.  Skipped Big O's, as caught bass turned into tacos.  Drove around the backside of the T-Bone Ranch as I'd always wondered what the other side of the place looked like.  I heard the Goree family are friends with the Rancho owners who worked at Texas Monthly and introduced them to the area.  Still haven't checked out the wine bar across the street from the pizza place.

I'll be there from the 12th to the 15th and will be hitting up all the usual places.  

3 minutes ago, BlueGreySky said:

I'll be there from the 12th to the 15th and will be hitting up all the usual places.  

If you have kids, that new donut place across the intersection from the pizza place and behind the gas station was packed Saturday AM.  Kid loved it.  I just love the fact that Coleman getting a little life breathed back into it.  Father's family's from Talpa, so it was always Coleman of Ballinger to go to the "city"

5 hours ago, NWBuck said:

Dropped in a place (places?) in Shreveport. Good food, but really good pie.

Strawn’s?

Also, someone needs to add Fugler’s Grocery outside of Marshall if it’s not already on the list. For whatever reason I can’t see it from my phone and forgot what was on the original list. That burger is a bad mother fucker 

Edited by Etexhorn13
  • Like 1

Strawn’s?
Also, someone needs to add Fugler’s Grocery outside of Marshall if it’s not already on the list. For whatever reason I can’t see it from my phone and forgot what was on the original list. That burger is a bad mother fucker 

Mmmmm strawberry pie...
Riverport BBQ in Jefferson needs to be on the list as well.
  • Like 1

On 3/31/2018 at 2:33 PM, abuelo gringo said:

Yes, we like their sliced brisket sandwiches.  Good comments on their ribs, which I plan to try sometime.  Don't know if pork or beef.  Brisket baked potato and brisket chili pie are okay.

It's in downtown Nixon on SH 80.

Stopped by last week and tried the ribs.  Pork ribs.  Good, but don't compare to the brisket.  Everyone has his strengths and weaknesses.

Added the hamburger grill at a Shell station on 36 just south of Bellville. For some reason it has terrible Google reviews -- I think they might refer to the gas station part of it -- but this is truly an unsung gem of Texas burger joints, as the few Yelpers (and me) who've gone in there can attest. (I've gone twice over the past ten years or so and it was awesome both times.)

Don't let the outside appearance keep you from stopping at the J& P Bar and Grill in Comstock.  One of the best burgers I have had.  Jalapeno Burger with homemade jalapeno mayo.  Dad had the tacos.  Would have driven right past if the guy at the Judge Bean Museum in Langtry hadn't clued us in.

J_amp_P_3.jpgJ_P_2.jpgJ_P_1.jpg

Edited by swTXSU
forgot the pics
  • Like 2

On 4/2/2018 at 12:07 PM, Johnny Sack said:

Outstanding hamburger.

Hilltop Cafe outside of Fredericksburg is one I would add.

Also like Vaudeville in Fredericksburg.

Mary's in Strawn.

Mary's FTW.  Never fail to stop there.

Mary's FTW.  Never fail to stop there.

Love Mary’s. Ate there yesterday. Took four friends from Indiana there on our turkey hunting trip to Coleman. Their minds were blown.

0df285ec3705def1918eadaa84dc28c6.jpg

Not pictured - giant bowl of gravy. They asked for a to-go cup for the gravy that we didn’t finish. Love it.

Ate at Rancho Pizza for dinner last night, downtown Coleman. Best pizza I’ve ever had (again). Headed to Big O’s in Valera for lunch today.

The guys are out hunting now and I’m enjoying a Bloody Mary by the fire pit. Jesus I miss this place. Good thing it’ll be snowing in Indy when I get back Monday! Fuck.

7 minutes ago, DoobieWah said:

Snow's BBQ isn't exactly a "hidden" gem, but  Lexington is certainly  a small town and easy road trip from Austin or Houston.

Small window to operate from though, Miss Tootsie only works on Saturdays and you better be in line by 9 am if you want your choice of all of her offerings of the day.detail_1106_peo_snows_1.jpg

Miss Tootsie puts Lexington on the barbecue map.

I added a few places on here. 

Major's in Liberty Hill is really damn good. Their buns are legit, and I had a really damn good cheeseburger.

Alamo Springs Cafe is pretty well known, and rightfully so, but I added it for largely the same reasons, interestingly enough.

Irie's Island Food is a small restaurant in Port Aransas. Last time I tried to go they were sold out for the day, but we just missed it. They've taken the concept of Torchy's and adapted it to seafood tacos. That is, they've gringo-fied it. Really damn good.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BlueGreySky said:

Love Mary’s. Ate there yesterday. Took four friends from Indiana there on our turkey hunting trip to Coleman. Their minds were blown.

0df285ec3705def1918eadaa84dc28c6.jpg

Not pictured - giant bowl of gravy. They asked for a to-go cup for the gravy that we didn’t finish. Love it.

Ate at Rancho Pizza for dinner last night, downtown Coleman. Best pizza I’ve ever had (again). Headed to Big O’s in Valera for lunch today.

The guys are out hunting now and I’m enjoying a Bloody Mary by the fire pit. Jesus I miss this place. Good thing it’ll be snowing in Indy when I get back Monday! Fuck.

That looks awesome. I completely agree on Rancho pizza, it’s so damn good.