Surly's Texas Small Town/Road Trip Gems

PatrickMcHorn

On 4/12/2018 at 7:29 PM, ckhorn said:

Blessing Hotel Coffee Shop. Bring cash and a big appetite.

I’ll second that, and go see Shanghai Pierce’s grave while you’re at it.  My wife was born in Blessing and my late FIL was band director there for years, before he moved to Louise.  Also go to Canales Cafe in Tivoli.  3putt can vouch for that.  

11 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

I’ll put this to the test. We have land we hunt in Talco on a regular basis and the only place we have eaten in town is the pizza place on the square.

Cant go wrong with Steve-O's pizza either!  They have a ton of draft beers. Note that M.L. Edwards is a breakfast/lunch joint only.  I believe their weekend hours are around 9A-2or3P.

The Ahi tuna tower is spectacular, something you think would only be found in large metro areas. 

Have to give a shoutout to Ball's Fried Chicken in Lake Charles, Louisiana. Small hole-in-the-wall place, the first time I went I knew it would be good because the cashier weighed about 400 lbs. It is my go-to spot on any drive to or from NOLA. Fried chicken and boudin balls.

On 3/30/2018 at 9:41 AM, Bevo VIII said:

The frito pie at TJs Burgers in New Braunfels. Add diced onions and jalapeños from the condiments bar and you’re in for a damn good meal.

Just had my 1st burger from there yesterday. It was ok. I'll try the Frito Pie next time. 

On 4/17/2018 at 2:57 PM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

While we're at it, Bakery Cafe in Aransas Pass is awesome for breakfast or anything else.  Since 1929.  

port-A11-700x522.jpg

I lived in Aransas Pass for about 6 years until Hurricane Harvey decided that I needed to move.  I would hit up Bakery Cafe for breakfast every now and then for breakfast on the weekend.  My usual order was an omelet.  I would get some absolutely vile shits after each time.  So I stopped going there.  I would just hit up BBQ de Oro Taqueria of Taqueria Guanajuanto for some breakfast tacos instead.

If you want a good burger while in Aransas Pass, hit up Mickey's Bar and Grill and order a South of the Border burger.  I also find the wings at Redfish Willie's to be quite passable.  If you are craving some surprisingly good pho, check out I Love Noodle (if it has reopened post-Harvey; I honestly have not checked since the storm to see if it has re-opened).

I am anxious for the brewpub that is being built in Aransas Pass, Hook and Ladder Brewpub, to open.  I am very curious to see how a brewpub will do in Aransas Pass.  Hopefully they will have some good food and a good beer selection.  This area definitely needs somewhere that serves something other than the usual macro brews.

On 4/2/2018 at 9:38 PM, mdleast said:

Do what I did one day last summer: Have Bodacious in Longview for lunch and then Riverport for dinner. That was a good day...

96d0899038641e2877210f8ac94c6e4e.jpg

e3c4309a52fac881e915625ed2f62318.jpg

Just for the other folks who might read this, this only applies to the Mobberly Bodacious location. If you go to the others you will have mediocre que.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2018 at 2:33 PM, PatSolitanojr said:

+Jake & Dorothy's Cafe in Stephenville. Great Chicken fried, waffle fries, and fried catfish. 

Image result for jake and dorothy's stephenville tx

I forgot about jack and dorothy's until i saw this....use to run thru stephenville frequently and loved this place

Will assume its still tasty and refer to others 

21 hours ago, ScottS said:

I lived in Aransas Pass for about 6 years until Hurricane Harvey decided that I needed to move.  I would hit up Bakery Cafe for breakfast every now and then for breakfast on the weekend.  My usual order was an omelet.  I would get some absolutely vile shits after each time.  So I stopped going there.  I would just hit up BBQ de Oro Taqueria of Taqueria Guanajuanto for some breakfast tacos instead.

If you want a good burger while in Aransas Pass, hit up Mickey's Bar and Grill and order a South of the Border burger.  I also find the wings at Redfish Willie's to be quite passable.  If you are craving some surprisingly good pho, check out I Love Noodle (if it has reopened post-Harvey; I honestly have not checked since the storm to see if it has re-opened).

I am anxious for the brewpub that is being built in Aransas Pass, Hook and Ladder Brewpub, to open.  I am very curious to see how a brewpub will do in Aransas Pass.  Hopefully they will have some good food and a good beer selection.  This area definitely needs somewhere that serves something other than the usual macro brews.

You act like vile shits is a bad thing after a diner stop ....why not look at it as that lovely grease moving that untasty pho out of the way #notfat 

• Haha 1

On 4/14/2018 at 10:50 AM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I’ll second that, and go see Shanghai Pierce’s grave while you’re at it.  My wife was born in Blessing and my late FIL was band director there for years, before he moved to Louise.  Also go to Canales Cafe in Tivoli.  3putt can vouch for that.  

Man fuck Tidehaven, but yeah the Blessing Hotel is legit.

15 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

My wife is from Longview.  Nanny Goat's is a good spot to eat there.

If you are ever in Livingston around lunch time, this place has a great burger.

13248605_1302940873057128_70305903866376

Nanny goats is surprisingly good for what it is. They also have a good wine selection, at what  I seem to remember being pretty good prices. Solid spot 

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

I’m not following

Just a little ribbing because Nanny Goats is the type of place that the women love. The It'll Do Deli is another spot comparable to Nanny Goats in Longview as well. Tomboni's Bistro as well. All places the women like to lunch, or I guess men too if you are looking for lighter fare.

Edited by NotActuallyALonghorn
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...