Surly's Texas Small Town/Road Trip Gems

PatrickMcHorn

Added a few to the map:

Miss Mary Bobo's Restaurant  in Lynchburg, TN. Trust me. Just go. If you ever visit the distillery, make your lunch stop at MMBR. From my map drop:

Roll with me on this one. Miss Mary Bobo and her husband purchased a boarding house in downtown Lynchburg (there really aint much downtown). Every day,she would serve a family style lunch. She passed away, the distillery purchased the boarding house, but they still serve a family style lunch (no more boardings, though).

You and about 12 other people will be set at a table along with a hostess who is there to give a history lesson and facilitate discussion. They food is served family style - if you go away hungry, its your own damn fault. Great fried chicken, delicious meatloaf, JD apples are out of this world. The only 2 foods guaranteed at every lunch are the fried okra and JD apples. The waiters/waitresses are local high school kids who earn money to go to college. Its really an amazing place and if you ever visit the distillery, visit Miss Mary Bobo's for lunch.

Guzzi Up pizza in Alpine

Planet Marfa in Marfa

Mi Casita in Fort Stockton (reservations highly recommended)

On 4/12/2018 at 1:18 PM, MaybeACoordinator said:

Added the hamburger grill at a Shell station on 36 just south of Bellville. For some reason it has terrible Google reviews -- I think they might refer to the gas station part of it -- but this is truly an unsung gem of Texas burger joints, as the few Yelpers (and me) who've gone in there can attest. (I've gone twice over the past ten years or so and it was awesome both times.)

Once you get out of Baton Rouge and head across the river most of the gas stations have a dining area (term used loosely). When you get down around Pierre Part and south of there is when you get to the really good seafood places.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, hobbs said:

Sorry, just saw this, but this place (Railway Cafe - Athens) is good: www.railwaycafe.net

Will have to give it a try. I wonder how they make any money being open only 3 hours a day 5 days a week? Can't imagine how they manage inventory with a pretty large menu and being closed sat and sun. 

Do you live in the area? 

24 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

Will have to give it a try. I wonder how they make any money being open only 3 hours a day 5 days a week? Can't imagine how they manage inventory with a pretty large menu and being closed sat and sun. 

Do you live in the area? 

No, but I have to occasionally be in Athens for work, and this is the best place I've ever been to over there. 

If I recall correctly, the owner worked at Wink in Austin, but he and his wife opened this place in Athens because he's from there.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I find myself looking for little local places now to add to the list.  We tried Lee's Landing in Rockdale last week and it was good.   Didn't get the BBQ but the catfish and CFS.  Both were made from scratch, no Sysco crap here.   It's definitely a local place.

Also down the road is a old restored motor court from back in the day.   Rainbow Courts Motel.   I would suggest checking out their website.

https://www.rainbowcourts.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=gmblisting

Just looking for a day trip out of Austin, you couldn't go wrong with these two choices.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

You're the man.

Now that we're no longer limited to Texas Chope's (La Mesa, NM) needs to be on this list.

https://goo.gl/maps/8ZPiW3xPMmF2

Here's the bar,

cCyCdvR7MVRlCMx1Uos18fR-oWkHfnQmhtWakZJa

you can eat in there, but there is also a dining room converted from the Benavides' old house next door.

Haven't been in awhile but Adobe Deli, near Deming, has been around forever and definitely fits on this list:

https://goo.gl/maps/CmAh7VCFP8z

Sparky's ain't a bad green chile cheeseburger either (Hatch, NM).

https://goo.gl/maps/woMFA7EXGzx

I thought Cattleman's was already on here but I don't see it (Fabens, TX). Locally famous steak house, I've been recently and it is still legit and is really out in the middle of nowhere. Only about 5 minutes from I-10 though...

https://goo.gl/maps/BrseTpu4qGp

Was looking at the map and noticed that the location for Dudley's in Longview was the now closed location on the loop. I deleted it and made a new one for the old location on Hwy 80. It's the same owner and menu, and I never noticed a difference in the food. I did not, however, capture the original caption for it.

Anything near Mount Pleasant, TX? I have to go up there quarterly for a meeting and usually pre-meet with folks for lunch at Blalock BBQ. The people who run it seem nice, but Blalock BBQ doesn't belong on this list.
What did you ever try?
Isn't there a Bodacious in Mt. Pleasant? 
Its called outlaws now I think. At least the people that own it, also own outlaws.
Roundeyesushiguy is in downtown Mt Pleasant. 
Theres a place called mt Fiji too. Never tried either.
Mt Pleasant Burger and Fries is a good choice!
Thats the old Randy’s isn’t it?

I understand that these are really old posts. But curiosity and all that. I’m in Mt pleasant weekly.

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

What did you ever try?
Its called outlaws now I think. At least the people that own it, also own outlaws.
Theres a place called mt Fiji too. Never tried either.

I understand that these are really old posts. But curiosity and all that. I’m in Mt pleasant weekly.

Re: Mt. Pleasant -- Nardello's is really good.  Fun vibe with good beer and wine selections and solid wood-fired pizza: http://jimmynardellos.com/

Funny thing about Mary’s, the first time I ever ate there I wasn’t all that impressed. Not sure if it was a bad day or just the piece of meat I got but I didn’t see what all the hype was about.

The one I had in that picture was just a couple of weeks ago and was out of this world. Would be curious to know how they cook em, could be in a deep fat fryer, cast iron skillet or on the flat top or any combo of those rigs.  It has the softer batter if that’s the correct description, like a skillet cooked cfs. That’s the way I like the coating to be, don’t like em when they are crunchy. Whatever they are doing is freaking fantastic.  Next time I will get the large and use the leftover for a CFS sandwich.

On 4/10/2018 at 2:23 PM, Both Tacos said:

Smoke Session BBQ right outside of Fate, TX on Hwy. 66. Central Texas style que.

Now located in Royce City-stopped there yesterday on the way back from Sulphur Springs.  Ribs and sausage were solid-brisket looked better than it tasted, lacking the seasoning on the smoke ring and not rendered properly imho.  Still would stop again as the owner does not stab you for reviews that are critical.

Now located in Royce City-stopped there yesterday on the way back from Sulphur Springs.  Ribs and sausage were solid-brisket looked better than it tasted, lacking the seasoning on the smoke ring and not rendered properly imho.  Still would stop again as the owner does not stab you for reviews that are critical.

Yep, they are now located at Hwy. 276 and FM 549 with a bigger trailer, pit and eating area.
  • Like 1

Love this thread.  I'm missing Colorado today:

Gunnison, CO:
High Alpine Brewing:  Kölsch, IMO.  It's exceptionally well done.  Other beers are good, too.  Pizzas are excellent, and not just a lazy brewery add-on.
Back Country Cafe:  Awesome breakfast spot.  Anything with green chile is good, the San Juan Eggs Benedict are the proverbial shiz.
Sherpa Cafe:  Displaced refugees stuck around and opened a Nepalese/Indian joint.  Great.

Crested Butte, CO:
The Secret Stash:  Very good pizza, good atmosphere, Meat Candy appetizer is awesome.  

Tincup, CO (glorious middle of nowhere):
Frenchy's Cafe:  Great lunch stop if you're doing any of the surrounding trails/passes or fishing the area.  Beautiful setting in an old mining town.  Kids can fish in the stocked pond out front.  Great burgers, incredibly good desserts.

Salida, CO:
Patio Pancake Place:  Excellent unpretentious breakfast joint in a great town.  Again, anything with green chile is good.

Buena Vista, CO:
The Buena Viking:  Good if pricey burgers from a trailer in the outdoor seating area of Deerhammer Distillery.

On 1/5/2019 at 1:08 PM, Jkwellborn said:

MP Burger & Fries isn't the old Randys (they are located on Jefferson) - but has a ton of the same people who used to work at Randys there I believe...

I highly recommend it...

MP Burger & Fries isn't the old Randys (they are located on Jefferson) - but has a ton of the same people who used to work at Randys there I believe...
I highly recommend it...

I think it might the the guy that used to own Randy’s. I’ve got a buddy that goes up there pretty regular. I was thinking they just changed the name.

There used to be a pretty good little taco joint back up in there too.

29 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

I think it might the the guy that used to own Randy’s. I’ve got a buddy that goes up there pretty regular. I was thinking they just changed the name.

There used to be a pretty good little taco joint back up in there too.

as far as i know Randy's is still open and being run by the original owner's children?

Funny thing about Mary’s, the first time I ever ate there I wasn’t all that impressed. Not sure if it was a bad day or just the piece of meat I got but I didn’t see what all the hype was about.
The one I had in that picture was just a couple of weeks ago and was out of this world. Would be curious to know how they cook em, could be in a deep fat fryer, cast iron skillet or on the flat top or any combo of those rigs.  It has the softer batter if that’s the correct description, like a skillet cooked cfs. That’s the way I like the coating to be, don’t like em when they are crunchy. Whatever they are doing is freaking fantastic.  Next time I will get the large and use the leftover for a CFS sandwich.

I believe they use a griddle.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

I live in Granbury. Grumps will cook you a burger to medium rare, if you ask. I eat their patty melt and add bacon and japs. Pretty damn good.

CHIEF

Well you just made me want to head down 377 and order up.  That combo has got to be a winner.  CSB-first time I went here, I had left my wallet in FW, but had checks in my car.  So, no ID, no credit cards, no cash, just a check.  The owner said no problem, got my meal, and I became a loyal customer and walking advertisement for his place since that day.