ShaggyTexas Handover

Viper

5 hours ago, RPM said:

I discovered the Shag around '10 I think. Really don't remember. The old board I hung out on tuned into CR on it's worst day. Did a search for a Texas message board and Google said check out these guys. Never looked back.

I think I ended up on Shag when Mack went through his first round of major coaching changes. Portapotty Girl and Craps MILF sealed the deal. 

• Like 1

It really is somewhat astounding how dead TOS is.  I mean, I knew it would be, but I thought there would be a handful, like at HF, that stuck around out of ignorance if nothing else.

Of course, HF offered a less surly/shaggy user experience, so there's that.  TOS is probably more full of vitriol now than it ever was when we were there.

I was on HF as well, started around 00 or 01.

One of those "maybe I shouldn't have done that moments" for them.

And futureman, that place was over-moderated just like texags is now.

I got a week timeout for offering somebody less than what they were asking for rose bowl tickets.

God damn I lost count of the times I was temp banned for arguing with dipshits like Chrisapplewhite and old 360 assholes like EyesofTx.

• Like 1

I think I ended up on Shag when Mack went through his first round of major coaching changes. Portapotty Girl and Craps MILF sealed the deal. 

I’ll say the very BEST thing about the Shag and Bob is that the fucking Katywhale never thought it would happen.

“Feel free to start your own site”

Ok, fatty.

The second best thing about the Shag is that Belmont hated it.

• Hook 'Em 2

I used to frequent a different type of forum often on Tapa that was related to my job at the time. I was looking for something that was Tapa friendly for Longhorn sports. This was the first choice so I joined. Hung low for a month or so to avoid the crowdsource bans that often come when new members get too cocky too fast. Now I rarely go back to my old haunts.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

anybody know any of the moderators or admins at hornfans' email addresses?  I'm tired of their exhaustive pool of hatred and ignorance.  I'm giving them fair warning that all their friends at UT are now gone.  And their time is at an end.  I'm sick of listening to parents of potential 40 acres scholars read the bullshit on that website and then ask if that's indicative of everybody at UT.  I don't care anymore, maybe it's mean.  But they need to go away.  It's a cesspool of lies and racism.  

On 3/27/2020 at 7:17 AM, NorthLoop said:

If I catch the Rona I'm gonna go on the news and say I got it at Eskimo Hut

Right after the separation I set my proxy to a server in Estonia, made a fake gmail address, set up a fake Yelp account, etc etc etc just to post a less than admiring review of the Eskimo Hut franchise.  A couple of days later someone replied to my review saying they were going to find me and sue me for the post - still waiting but I am very scared of the potential ramifications. 

So be careful before you do that.  Those guys mean business.

On 4/14/2020 at 8:23 AM, Hate said:

I don’t remember Tor being disliked like he apparently was. What did he do for everyone to dislike him?

He was a fucking cunt. I wish he got shanked in jail.

And I can't get banned for threatening a fellow poster because he don't post here.  I got rights.

But I gotta give it to the fucker, remembering your password after 5 years of getting butt fucked every day is pretty good.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

• 1 month later...
On 1/28/2020 at 3:57 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I was searching for something and ended up in the Worst Sexual Encounter MSPaint thread. Ive been here ever since.

I was coming out for the 2010 game in Austin, and wanted to get some insight into Texas football.  At one of other random site forums, there was a link to Thujone's MNC MS Paint thread.  My eyes were full of stars.  Of course, I thought once that game was over I'd never be back, but I got Michael Corleone'd. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a question concerning tos, and it's based on complete ignorance.  But what type of costs are involved in having and maintaining a site like tos or even Surly.  I'm sure some money has to go somewhere right?  That being the case, why would the idiot keep shaggy up and running with basically no posters?

I'll hang up and listen

I've got a question concerning tos, and it's based on complete ignorance.  But what type of costs are involved in having and maintaining a site like tos or even Surly.  I'm sure some money has to go somewhere right?  That being the case, why would the idiot keep shaggy up and running with basically no posters?
I'll hang up and listen

My guess is that it’s running on existing infrastructure for other sites and has virtually no incremental cost, particularly with its lack of usage so no cpu or bandwidth is being consumed. It’s like opening Notepad in Windows and entering one char every few days.
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SHOOTER12 said:

I'll hang up and listen

Surly is going to be pricey, because, you know, quality.  Forum activity generates a lot of load on the CPUs, and requires more memory, than a typical blog with the same traffic.  And Surly probably has off-site backups, etc.  Every time you and I logon and go to post or whatever, it's actively rendering (drawing) quite a bit of stuff based on our preferences, what we've last read, etc.  It's not on some cheap-ass $10 a month shared hosting plan - Surly probably has its own actual servers (instead of a share of a server).  Surly has quality hosting from what I can see (and we would all know it if they didn't).

Shaggy is not get getting much posting activity, and because of that, everything is cached (the site is not having to constantly render/draw a new page for visitors), so you could run it on something really cheap - doesn't need a dedicated server.  I've got a niche site with forums that sees a lot more actual activity than Shaggy, along with a dozen other active sites on one server/VPS, and I'm only paying $40 a month (and honestly I could probably run it all on something for under $20 if I wanted to cut some corners).

I could be wrong, but I don't see ads on Surly, so he is spending money on Shaggy to keep it running for some reason, perhaps out of spite?    I'm surprised he doesn't even have something like Google's Adsense on there just to cover costing and make tree-fiddy a month,, but then again, Google may have said no.   He's not running it encrypted, even though encryption is free with a decent host, and running it without hurts a site these days both with search engines and users.  So either he's gotten really bad advice on running it, or he doesn't give a shit.

He's running it on bluehost, which is really cheap hosting, so he could be running it for less than $10 a month.  bluehost.....bluehost....it's own by EIG, and I've used hosting companies owned by EIG in the past, and I do not do so any longer, and refuse to work with anything hosted on an EIG server.   It's like if Dollar Tree was a hosting company.  They buy customers by buying smaller operations and moving the IT support to India.

• Like 1

as with most topics atomheart is correct. Shaggy in it's current state of traffic can easily be hosted on a shared account for < $20 a month. 

Surly currently sits on about 7 servers housed in a rack at a colo in Dallas. The colo we were in in Austin is closing down. The setup we have would cost around $5000 a month or more at AWS. 

• Like 3