2018 NBA Draft

Machinator

So apparently the McD AA practice and game happened and the 2019 draft class looks like shit.  Not even in the same stratosphere as 2018, which makes this draft even more important (and is a gift for Sacramento, as they don't have a 2019 first).

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/03/28/nba-draft-2019-zion-williamson-cam-reddish-rj-barrett-duke-blue-devils

While the overall hype levels surrounding each subsequent high school class have only grown in perception, given the growth of social media and the evolution of teenage players into quasi-public figures, a realist would tell you there may not be a single surefire All-Star waiting in the wings going into 2019. The top prep prospects in this year’s group gathered in Atlanta this week for the McDonald’s All-American game, practicing three times and scrimmaging once in front of a host of high-ranking personnel from around the league. The vibe around the league, and high school recruiting experts as well, is that the talent level, at least in terms of the volume of standout prospects, is significantly down from an NBA perspective looking forward to the next couple of drafts.

National All-Star events like this always miss kids who go on to NBA success, but they do offer a reasonable glimpse at the new pool of players, and who teams should be considering in the near future as potential one-and-done candidates. As one Western Conference executive wondered, “This is the cream of the crop?” Based on my conversations, many scouts and decision-makers were underwhelmed with the talent level amid a week that left something to be desired in general.

10 minutes ago, d2o said:

It will be interesting to see how much that changes between now and Sept or so.

One of the kids from 2019 decided to decommit from Syracuse and jump straight to the G-league this yr.

It also speaks volumes that apparently Daniel Gafford (who would probably be a first rounder this year) is thinking of returning to Arkansas.  In this day and age, that's a rarity.

Will Bomba have the longest wingspan in the NBA? 7'9"

On the lackluster McD, I can't imagine any reason they wouldn't be motivated. Maybe knowing they are forced into playing one year at college has something to do with it.

Guest Camel
10 minutes ago, pacman said:

On the lackluster McD, I can't imagine any reason they wouldn't be motivated. Maybe knowing they are forced into playing one year at college has something to do with it.

Let them all go to Kentucky and lose in the Sweet 16.

Guest Camel
On 3/27/2018 at 8:58 AM, Machinator said:

Should be a good one at the top.

Michael Porter, Jr. declared yesterday.

Would you draft him after being out all year with an injury? I wouldn't. I'd take Bagley 1st no question.

11 hours ago, Guest Camel said:

Would you draft him after being out all year with an injury? I wouldn't. I'd take Bagley 1st no question.

Not #1 over Ayton and maybe not over Bagley but over anyone after those two

1 hour ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Here's a nice website to breakdown some of the more advanced stats: 

http://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft

For some reason, I'd still put JJJ over Bagley. It may be because Okafor has soured me, but I don't like his defense. Ayton and Doncic are #1 and #2 to me. 

I think most mocks have JJJ over Bagley.

My top 10 as of this moment:

1) Ayton

2) Bamba

3) JJJ

4) Doncic

5) Bagley

6) Porter

7) Mikal Bridges

8) Sexton

9) Carter

10) Shai Gilgeous Alexander

2 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

1) Ayton

2) Bamba

3) JJJ

4) Doncic

5) Bagley

6) Porter

7) Mikal Bridges

8) Sexton

9) Carter

Mavs fans need to be praying that they finish below Orlando and Doncic drops to 4.   I think he is going to be great, and they can figure out how to make it work with DSJ. 

3 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Mavs fans need to be praying that they finish below Orlando and Doncic drops to 4.   I think he is going to be great, and they can figure out how to make it work with DSJ. 

I'm torn on Doncic.  I love his game and BB IQ - I just don't know if he's athletic enough to ever be a top 10 player and that his ceiling is Hedo Turkeyglue.

13 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Doncic isn't dropping to 4. The Grizzlies will absolutely take him if he's there as he's the perfect fit for the pieces that they have. 

10 hours ago, Message Board User said:

I'm torn on Doncic.  I love his game and BB IQ - I just don't know if he's athletic enough to ever be a top 10 player and that his ceiling is Hedo Turkeyglue.

Hedo had a pretty good  career and one absolutely outstanding playoff run during the year Orlando went to the FInals.

12 hours ago, Message Board User said:

I'm 100% sold on Doncic. I think Ayton's combination of size, skill and athleticism is too difficult to pass up at 1, but Doncic is going to be special. I don't think Doncic has to be a next level athlete to be great. He's athletic enough and he's really smart and can shoot the shit out of the ball. It's not like his game is clearing out and blowing past guys for a dunk. He's going to pick you apart using screens and angles and finding the open guy.

5 hours ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Doncic isn't dropping to 4. The Grizzlies will absolutely take him if he's there as he's the perfect fit for the pieces that they have. 

Probably right. Can you imagine going from living and playing in Madrid, to Memphis? Could be worse than Rubio going from Barcelona to Minnesota (sorry MN). 

Phoenix will have a nice little core of Booker, Jackson and either Ayton or Doncic. 

20 hours ago, Message Board User said:

1) Ayton

2) Bamba

3) JJJ

4) Doncic

5) Bagley

6) Porter

7) Mikal Bridges

8) Sexton

9) Carter

Please let it work out like this.   Then Porter would be there when the Magic pick

6 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Hedo had a pretty good  career and one absolutely outstanding playoff run during the year Orlando went to the FInals.

Turk blew.  He and Rashard Lewis had one great season built off D12 being a monster down low.   If that is what Doncic turns into, no thanks

14 hours ago, pacman said:

Is G.Allen really going to get into the NBA? I realize there was some hype around him going into college, but I thought it stopped there. I guess his shooting is enough to at least get him 2nd round looks.

He will more than likely get drafted in the 2nd.   If not, he will defiinitely get a training camp invite and get a shot.  I dont think he is that good but he should hang on at the tail end of someone's roster for a couple yrs before going overseas and doing something like Jimmer did somewhere over there.

Trae Young from OU is highly overrated, and should not be a lottery pick, much less top 20...

Any spot after 20, he would be a project in my opinion, as he needs a few bowls of hamhocks/ greens & cornbread to go with his workout regiment...

57 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

Trae Young from OU is highly overrated, and should not be a lottery pick, much less top 20...

Any spot after 20, he would be a project in my opinion, as he needs a few bowls of hamhocks/ greens & cornbread to go with his workout regiment...

giphy.gif

5 hours ago, kopp0e said:

I don't know if you have ever eaten the food mentioned above (as it is a bit fattening), or are you just being acidulous..?

Right, because when someone asks me to name fattening foods I immediately go for ham hocks, cornbread, and greens. (Insert giant eye roll here). It’s the shag surl, you’re allowed a certain level of racism, but go ahead and own it when you use it.

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

Right, because when someone asks me to name fattening foods I immediately go for ham hocks, cornbread, and greens. (Insert giant eye roll here). It’s the shag surl, you’re allowed a certain level of racism, but go ahead and own it when you use it.

I am of aboriginal (black - african)/ native american & european/ heritage, and can prove it with one of my personal social network accounts...

I eat the stuff mentioned... How would I be racist of something I experience, are you by chance of the same decent..? So you tell me how exactly I am being racist..?

Edited by kopp0e

On 4/5/2018 at 9:51 AM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I'm 100% sold on Doncic. I think Ayton's combination of size, skill and athleticism is too difficult to pass up at 1, but Doncic is going to be special. I don't think Doncic has to be a next level athlete to be great. He's athletic enough and he's really smart and can shoot the shit out of the ball. It's not like his game is clearing out and blowing past guys for a dunk. He's going to pick you apart using screens and angles and finding the open guy.

For all practical purposes, you just described the next Larry Bird.

2 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

For all practical purposes, you just described the next Larry Bird.

I wouldn't go that far. Bird to me was always a forward whereas Doncic is a guard. I don't remember Bird ever handling the ball like that and he had way more game in the post.

Also, does anybody know if watermelon is fattening?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I wouldn't go that far. Bird to me was always a forward whereas Doncic is a guard. I don't remember Bird ever handling the ball like that and he had way more game in the post.

Also, does anybody know if watermelon is fattening?

Only of it comes with a side of double fried chicken, smothered in dumplings gravy... And don't forget about the sweet tea...

I heard Shaq eats it...

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 8:51 AM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I like Doncic too and in most other drafts he would unquestionably be #1 on my board.  But with so many good prospects it's hard for me to take him over a guy like Bamba who has a pretty high floor.

It's what makes this draft so fascinating - the top 6 or so have huge upsides but none are what I would call can't-miss in the mold of a Duncan, Lebron, KD, or AD.  

10 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

2nd most likely is the career of whoever the Magic pick will end his career in total obscurity.  In fact, in 3 years we'll all be wondering if he's still alive, like Jonathan Isaac.

Well either that or they will get traded some place else and become a solid to very good pro.

lottery positioning heading into the final night:

1. phoenix
  2. memphis
  3. dallas/atlanta/orlando
  4. dallas/atlanta/orlando
  5. dallas/atlanta/orlando
  6. sacramento/chicago
  7. sacramento/chicago
  8. cleveland (via brooklyn)/ny knicks
  9. cleveland (via brooklyn)/ny knicks
  10. philadelphia (via the lakers)
  11. charlotte