Machinator

1 hour ago, BigOrange1 said:

best immediate reaction guess:

1. phoenix - ayton
  2. sacramento - doncic
  3. atlanta - bagley
  4. memphis - jarren jackson jr.
  5. dallas - bamba (i hate this)

Like others mentioned, Suns hired Doncic’s coach from the Slovenian national team, which makes me think he’ll go first but who knows.

2 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Suns should trade down a pick with Sacramento and then take Doncic at #2 with whatever extra stuff the Kings could throw in there. Maybe Frank Mason and Harry Giles.

They prolly should.    Passing on the hometown kid may not go over too well though.

Let’s hope. But most mavs fans im seeing are hating the idea of Bamba. 

Tanking is stupid for the mavs. They can’t eben mention that crap next season. 
Most Mavs fans are stupid. Pretty much all of BaD Radio thinks Bamba is just this side of Hasheem Thabeet.

13 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
2 hours ago, Mileslong said:
Crap I wanted bagley. Mavs have to have the worst lottery luck history wise.

Wolves have 1 first overall pick, and have never moved up higher than they were slated to pick out of like 23 attempts

And they also took Ricky Rubio and Jonny Flynn in the same draft instead of Steph Curry. No fucking wonder they were in the lottery 40  years in a row.

11 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Suns should trade down a pick with Sacramento and then take Doncic at #2 with whatever extra stuff the Kings could throw in there. Maybe Frank Mason and Harry Giles.

Is it a guarantee that the Kings would take Ayton over Doncic if he were available to them?

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Is it a guarantee that the Kings would take Ayton over Doncic if he were available to them?

They just drafted Fox last yr as a pg and also got Bogdanovich played very well for them at the 2.   They should be looking to bolster up front unless Doncic just comes in and looks otherworldly.

21 minutes ago, d2o said:

They just drafted Fox last yr as a pg and also got Bogdanovich played very well for them at the 2.   They should be looking to bolster up front unless Doncic just comes in and looks otherworldly.

when you're as bad as they are i think it's better to go best player available rather than worrying about positions.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

when you're as bad as they are i think it's better to go best player available rather than worrying about positions.  

At this point Ayton is the BPA by pretty much everyone.   That's why I say that "unless Doncic is otherworldly" in workouts.

1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

But what if it’s the best player according to Vlade and Vivek?

They should put together their draft board, top to bottom, then take the guy that they have rated at the bottom.  It's the only way to ensure that they get a quality player.

12 hours ago, HookEm said:

12 hours ago, Machinator said:

12 hours ago, d2o said:

Vlade is from Eastern Europe, has a ton of connections over there, and tends to favor players from that region. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if the Kings and Suns both have Doncic at #1. 

Fox is a 1, Bogdanovic is 2, and Doncic is a 3. The kings need wings worse than anything. Doncic would be a great fit and like BIGorange said, when you’re that bad, you draft the most talented player. 

5 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Vlade is from Eastern Europe, has a ton of connections over there, and tends to favor players from that region. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if the Kings and Suns both have Doncic at #1. 

Fox is a 1, Bogdanovic is 2, and Doncic is a 3. The kings need wings worse than anything. Doncic would be a great fit and like BIGorange said, when you’re that bad, you draft the most talented player. 

If, big if, this is true, and Vlade is in love with Doncic then the Suns could still leverage this situation and trade back to #2, pick up a future asset, and still get Ayton..... Look at what Ainge did to Colangelo last draft.  Pantsed him.

49 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

If, big if, this is true, and Vlade is in love with Doncic then the Suns could still leverage this situation and trade back to #2, pick up a future asset, and still get Ayton..... Look at what Ainge did to Colangelo last draft.  Pantsed him.

Bingo........but this is the Suns we are talking about.   Their FO is as bad as there is.

Edited by d2o

6 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Definitely a possibility with Vlade at the helm. I guess the real question is whether/how much Vlade values Doncic over Auton. If I’m the Suns, I’m definitely gonna try to sucker Vlade into moving up. 

So Doncic is saying he's not sure if he will come over next year.  I don't think it's a coincidence that he said this just after the Lottery.  He probably doesn't want to go to Sacramento.

Sacramento doesn't have a 1st round pick in 2019, so maybe they'd be willing to trade down if they could pick up somebody else's 2019 1st round pick.

If I'm Dallas, I would give up next year's 1st for Sacramento's pick.  Or at least a pick swap next year.  Consistently drafting in the 5-9 range is what leads to sucking forever like Orlando and Sacramento.  

3 minutes ago, fellside said:

So Doncic is saying he's not sure if he will come over next year.  I don't think it's a coincidence that he said this just after the Lottery.  He probably doesn't want to go to Sacramento.

Sacramento doesn't have a 1st round pick in 2019, so maybe they'd be willing to trade down if they could pick up somebody else's 2019 1st round pick.

If I'm Dallas, I would give up next year's 1st for Sacramento's pick.  Or at least a pick swap next year.  Consistently drafting in the 5-9 range is what leads to sucking forever like Orlando and Sacramento.  

He's currently playing in the Euroleague finals. I wouldn't put any stock in him saying that. The quote read to me like he just doesn't want to announce he's leaving after this year while his team is in the playoffs.

Also, like was said before, the Suns hired his national coach, so I doubt that comment would be directed at Sacramento anyways. Plus, Vlade and Peja (Assistant GM) are huge in that area of Eastern Europe. I would be very surprised if they haven't known Doncic for years already. I doubt Doncic would have a problem with Sacramento.

Edited by UT Lawnghorn

32 minutes ago, fellside said:

Huh?  You'd give up next year's first for the 2nd pick in the draft this year?  Why would Sacramento do that?  You'd probably have to give up your first this year and next year (with maybe some other balancers) to move up.... is that what you mean?  Who would you like Dallas to take?

Yes, that's what I was saying.  Packaging next year's first with this year's first.

Ayton and Doncic are the two guys in this draft who have a chance to be franchise-altering-type players.  I'd take either, and be happy for a long time.

Edited by fellside

3 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Huh?  You'd give up next year's first for the 2nd pick in the draft this year?  Why would Sacramento do that?  You'd probably have to give up your first this year and next year (with maybe some other balancers) to move up.... is that what you mean?  Who would you like Dallas to take?

Right, particularly in this draft its gonna take multiple firsts and a young player for SAC to give up the #2 pick.

if the deal is the #2 pick for the #5 pick and the mavs' 2019 unprotected first round pick, i think you have to do it if you're the kings.  you've gotta keep adding talent to that roster and not having a 2019 pick is a killer.  dallas probably won't be anything to write home about next year so that should be another top 10 pick (although next year's draft is supposed to be weak).  

I've read that Doncic's statement about not necessarily entering the draft this year aren't really the red flag some think they are.  HIs team is in the playoffs and he's being asked after games and practices and said he hasn't made a decision and he and his team will make the decision after playoffs.  That absolutely understandable..... I think he'll declare, Sac-town or not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigOrange1 said:

people on the ringer seem to think the suns are gonna take doncic anyway, building a core of booker, jackson and doncic on the perimeter.  

that...would be dumb.  Ayton might be the guy Oden never developed into. tough to pass up that size

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM

4 hours ago, fellside said:

Also to add to this, Doncic has been saying that he hasn't decided all year, even before the lottery, so his statement has nothing to do with who won the lottery. Here's an article in spanish from March 29, that says he hasn't decided and then quoted him as saying "we'll know when the season ends." It seems pretty obvious from his statements that he is going to go to the NBA, but doesn't want to announce during the season. Regardless, his position hasn't changed at all since before the lottery, so there's really no reason to think the Kings have anything to do with it.

http://www.mundodeportivo.com/baloncesto/otros/20180329/442028285047/doncic-estamos-preparados-para-la-guerra.html

Plus, Vlade and Peja (Assistant GM) are huge in that area of Eastern Europe. I would be very surprised if they haven't known Doncic for years already. I doubt Doncic would have a problem with Sacramento.

Do Slovenians and Serbians get along?  I guess so from a brief review of google

5 minutes ago, dogbreath said:

Do Slovenians and Serbians get along?  I guess so from a brief review of google

I think so. I know that Peja and Vlade have been very active in funding and promoting basketball in Eastern Europe, so even if those two countries generally don't, I think this would likely be an exception.

3 hours ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Who does doncic compare to?   I haven’t seen any highlights or anything of him.  

Here ya go. He announced he wanted to stay in Euroleague at the end of March. Dunno how that will affect his draft position. 

Edited by Dutchrudder
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Here ya go. He announced he wanted to stay in Euroleague at the end of March. Dunno how that will affect his draft position. 

Lulz. What are you talking about? He’s never said that. I literally just posted an article yesterday that was from March 29 where he says he’s not saying either way, which is exactly the same thing he said yesterday. He’s never announced he wants to stay in the Euroleague. He’s coming to the NBA next year. He’s just waiting for his team’s playoffs to end.