Uniform Pron

JimmyHoffa

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/17/2019 at 8:20 PM, DFW Horn said:

Oregon needs hip, newfangled Nike uniforms (and state-of-the-art facilities) because otherwise they'd only have rain and hippies to sell 'croots.

Well don't forget all the straight cash they funnel to recruits and their handlers, too.  That's equally important to their success in recruiting.

5 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

All black.  How novel.

Nebraska rolling out in all black alternative unis like it's 2004. Woot!

I can't believe I'm defending Nebraska, but they at least have used the term "black shirts" forever.  It's better than say, us doing the all blacks.

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I can't believe I'm defending Nebraska, but they at least have used the term "black shirts" forever.  It's better than say, us doing the all blacks.

Yeah I get that.

I just have always thought the "all black" thing for schools who don't have black as a school color is stupid.

But now it's not only stupid, it's completely and utterly played out. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah I get that.

I just have always thought the "all black" thing for schools who don't have black as a school color is stupid.

But now it's not only stupid, it's completely and utterly played out. 

Agreed, and I feel that way about our especially.

12 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I hate Nebraska as much as anyone, but I don't mind those.

Thought it was funny how many of the highlights in the clip were Big 12/8 highlights.  They don't miss this league at all.

I miss them a ton and the XII hasn’t been the same since they left. Losing a Top 10 all time blue blood program with Nebraska’s history has left a huge void that hasn’t been filled. Scott Frost is the shit and he is well on his way to making them a national power again. As for their unis, they’re channeling a little bit of Nazi SS uni chic with the Totenkopf on the sleeves of the jersey.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

8 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I miss them a ton and the XII hasn’t been the same since they left. Losing a Top 10 all time blue blood program with Nebraska’s history has left a huge void that hasn’t been filled. Scott Frost is the shit and he is well on his way to making them a national power again. As for their unis, they’re channeling a little bit of Nazi SS uni chic with the Totenkopf on the sleeves of the jersey.

They haven't been the same since leaving the XII, and the more time goes by, the more they accidentally admit it.

13 hours ago, texifornia said:

Except for Tech being grey (the fuck?), those are surprisingly nice and restrained for Adidas. I really like the IU look.

Adidas has really upped their uni game from just a few years ago. I am a 3 stripes man and would love it if we switched to them. Adidas Longhorn gear would be off the chain.

44 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

They haven't been the same since leaving the XII, and the more time goes by, the more they accidentally admit it.

They haven't been the same since 62-36. That game marked the end of their empire and the beginning of their mediocrity.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I miss them a ton and the XII hasn’t been the same since they left. Losing a Top 10 all time blue blood program with Nebraska’s history has left a huge void that hasn’t been filled. 

I don't exactly understand how it "hasn't been filled."  Of the two programs added to the Big 12 after Nebraska left, TCU has far outperformed Nebraska and West Virginia has basically duplicated their performance:

• TCU (since joining Big 12): 58-33 (.637); 6 bowl games (4-2), three top 10 finishes.
  • West Virginia (since joining Big 12): 51-30 (.573); 6 bowl games (2-4), three top 25 finishes.
  • Nebraska (since joining B1G): 60-39 (.606); 6 bowl games (2-4), two top 25 finishes.

It's also notable that Nebraska's two top 25 finishes were in their first two years in the B1G, when their roster was still full of players recruited while in the Big 12.

I get the whole bluebood thing, in terms of perception... but at some point don't on-the-field results begin to matter?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I get the whole bluebood thing, in terms of perception... but at some point don't on-the-field results begin to matter?

I mean, it's not like wins against Nebraska have really done all that much for Wisco or Iowa or whatever. They're just filler in the B1G West until they do literally anything interesting in that conference (Frost might be that guy).

Edited by texifornia

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

I mean, it's not like wins against Nebraska have really done all that much for Wisco or Iowa or whatever. They're just filler in the B1G West until they do literally anything interesting in that conference (Frost might be that guy).

Yeah Frost might be the guy, but Nebraska's problem has been lack of talent and inability to get recruiting in-roads in B1G territory.

It's telling that their only two top 25 finishes in the B1G were in their first two years in the conference.  After the players recruited from Big 12 territory cycled out, they've basically been a (barely) .500 program.

The problem they still have is trying to compete with Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Michigan State, etc., in areas where those schools have been established for 100 years.

If you're an elite player in B1G territory, why would you go to Nebraska when you could go to one of those other places? Especially when you probably have deep family ties to one of those other places either through fandom, your parents are alumni, etc.?  I know they can get the odd good player here and there, but man... it just seems like a tough road to hoe if you're trying to get back to elite status.

It's not anything like what, say, Stoops did at OU.  They had been down for a while, but they still were situated in a place where you had generations of families/players who had ties in some way or another to the school and were still recruiting the hell out of one of the most fertile HS recruiting grounds in the country (Texas).

14 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah Frost might be the guy, but Nebraska's problem has been lack of talent and inability to get recruiting in-roads in B1G territory.

It's telling that their only two top 25 finishes in the B1G were in their first two years in the conference.  After the players recruited from Big 12 territory cycled out, they've basically been a (barely) .500 program.

The problem they still have is trying to compete with Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Michigan State, etc., in areas where those schools have been established for 100 years.

If you're an elite player in B1G territory, why would you go to Nebraska when you could go to one of those other places? Especially when you probably have deep family ties to one of those other places either through fandom, your parents are alumni, etc.?  I know they can get the odd good player here and there, but man... it just seems like a tough road to hoe if you're trying to get back to elite status.

It's not anything like what, say, Stoops did at OU.  They had been down for a while, but they still were situated in a place where you had generations of families/players who had ties in some way or another to the school and were still recruiting the hell out of one of the most fertile HS recruiting grounds in the country (Texas).

Agree.  And the Sooners have always heavily recruited Texas, but the formation of the B12 timed out very well with Stoops' arrival.  Playing not just one, but 4 teams from the state of Texas every single year, absolutely benefited OU.  Stoops had it easier than ever to dig into the state, and that's after Blake had already left him plenty of (undeveloped) talent.

Edited by utee94

OU was only down 10 years or so and they were recovering from sanctions. And once they were "back" they dominated the conference, played in a bunch of MNC games (won only one thankfully) and a bunch of other BCS/NY6 games.  Nebraska's last "dominant" season was 1997. The next few years they were still really good until 2001. Then they fell off a cliff. Managed a few 10 win seasons, a few division championships (keeping in mind several were when the Big 12 North was complete dogshit) and even in those "good" seasons they lost 4-5 games (mostly to the South teams). This is consistent with one of the second tier non-bluebloods teams (I consider OSU since 2001 to be in this group). Good teams capable of popping up some years and competing for conference titles but rarely if ever truly being an MNC threat.

Bottom line, a bunch of blueblood programs have periods of being "down" like OU and pre-Saban Bama, but they usually come back. Notre Dame played for a MNC relatively recently. Nebraska has been "down" from their blueblood days for almost 20 years now and are showing no signs of getting back to blue blood status. Frost is a hot coach but their recruiting isn't anywhere near the current bluebloods. 

tl;dr I agree with oSuJeff

Edited by 'stache

44 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I don't exactly understand how it "hasn't been filled."  Of the two programs added to the Big 12 after Nebraska left, TCU has far outperformed Nebraska and West Virginia has basically duplicated their performance:

• TCU (since joining Big 12): 58-33 (.637); 6 bowl games (4-2), three top 10 finishes.
  • West Virginia (since joining Big 12): 51-30 (.573); 6 bowl games (2-4), three top 25 finishes.
  • Nebraska (since joining B1G): 60-39 (.606); 6 bowl games (2-4), two top 25 finishes.

It's also notable that Nebraska's two top 25 finishes were in their first two years in the B1G, when their roster was still full of players recruited while in the Big 12.

When Texas was in the wilderness for a decade and a half during the McWilliams and Mackovic reigns of error, we were still Texas with the tradition, pedigree and national following that captures the public’s imagination. When Mack Brown turned our fortunes around, we resumed our rightful place which was reflected in polling and recruiting. Except for being the flagship for Texas recruiting purposes, Nebraska has all of the same attributes that Texas has. Frost is going to restore their greatness and they will get the benefit of the doubt with the press and the  polls and will be able to recruit well nationally again.  If I was going to rank all time college football programs, Nebraska would be one place ahead of us on that list. College football is the most aristocratic and elitist sport there is and pedigree and heritage of a program has a direct impact on their immediate fortunes. Frost is going to leverage that and they will be in the B1G championship almost every year from now on. 

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

6 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

When Texas was in the wilderness for a decade and a half during the McWilliams and Mackovic reigns of error, we were still Texas with the tradition, pedigree and national following that captures the public’s imagination. When Mack Brown turned our fortunes around, we resumed our rightful place which was reflected in polling and recruiting. Except for being the flagship for Texas recruiting purposes, Nebraska has all of the same attributes that Texas has. Frost is going to restore their greatness and they will get the benefit of the doubt with the press and the  polls and will be able to recruit well nationally again.  If I was going to rank all time college football programs, Nebraska would be one place ahead of us on that list. College football is the most aristocratic and elitist sport there is and pedigree and heritage of a program has a direct impact on their immediate fortunes. Frost is going to leverage that and they will be in the B1G championship almost every year from now on. 

As things stand literally no one in the Big 10 gives a shit about Nebraska or cares all that much about beating them. Maybe if they were with their old conference mates things would be different, but right now they're completely adrift. They also have no pull with young people at all - most people under thirty would call LSU or Georgia a blueblood before them. Maybe Frost will bring them back - I kind of hope so.

People always like beating Texas, even when we suck, because we're the flagship of a big, swagger-y state, and the richest program in football.

(Anyway, this is the wrong thread for this)

Edited by texifornia

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

As things stand literally no one in the Big 10 gives a shit about Nebraska or cares all that much about beating them. Maybe if they were with their old conference mates things would be different, but right now they're completely adrift. They also have no pull with young people at all - most people under thirty would call LSU or Georgia a blueblood before them. Maybe Frost will bring them back - I kind of hope so.

People always like beating Texas, even when we suck, because we're the flagship of a big, swagger-y state, and the richest program in football.

(Anyway, this is the wrong thread for this)

Luring Nebraska back to the XII would be so huge if we could do that after the GOR expires. Give them a little sweetener financially to come back unlike what the B1G did by not paying them a full share and also have them play OU every year again. They’re worth doing that for. They belong in a conference with Texas and Oklahoma. I don’t care how good TCU has been, they will never have the pedigree of Nebraska. LSU was bad to mediocre for most of the 80s and 90s until Saban got there. Nebraska can definitely turn it around.

I'd take them back in a heartbeat, but I'd be skeptical that they would be blueblood again. The fell off a long time ago. Didn't someone post an article at one point about a change in partial qualifier rules that really hurt them? They have no real advantages where they are located. It seems they took a lot of risks which paid off for a lot of years.

Oops...we're going down the realignment wormhole again. There's a thread for that.

Mizzery's two SEC East champion teams were built with Big 12 recruits, too, in '13 & '14.

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I'd take them back in a heartbeat, but I'd be skeptical that they would be blueblood again. The fell off a long time ago. Didn't someone post an article at one point about a change in partial qualifier rules that really hurt them? They have no real advantages where they are located. It seems they took a lot of risks which paid off for a lot of years.

Yep, St. Thomas Osborne of Prop 48 and partial qualifiers. 

NE was the only Big 12 school to fight against this change when the league was formed. Naturally, UT was against illegitimate "scholar-athletes". This resulted in a lot of corn aggy butthurt.

10 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Luring Nebraska back to the XII would be so huge if we could do that after the GOR expires. Give them a little sweetener financially to come back unlike what the B1G did by not paying them a full share and also have them play OU every year again. They’re worth doing that for. They belong in a conference with Texas and Oklahoma. I don’t care how good TCU has been, they will never have the pedigree of Nebraska. LSU was bad to mediocre for most of the 80s and 90s until Saban got there. Nebraska can definitely turn it around.

This is the only mistake made by the Big 12, IMO. We should've protected that rivalry.

Although, I suspect the Huskers were worried about having to play OU twice annually in the league championship. But, that's pure conjecture.

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

the difference is NU was a nationally noticed "brand" program when they were in the B12 even when they sucked.  Neither WVU nor TCU add anything in terms of bran recognition.  Nobody cares about TCU.  Nobody really cares about WVU, hell their coach left to take a G5 job.  And we haven't even mentioned WVU is one of the absolute worst academic institutions in the entire nation.  May be the worst in any P5 conference.  It's saying quite a lot when NU leaves your conference, you add WVU and you actually got worse academically.  I mean...it's embarrassing.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, 'stache said:

yes.  That is why they hate TExas so much.  we (texas and aTm) ended their partial qualifier program as a condition of us moving to the B12.  NU was all sandy about it, and it was only made worse when we went 9-1 against them and cost them a shot at playing for a couple MNC's because of it.  They never recovered, couldn't go recruit guys out of south central los angeles anymore, and they were done.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LTbear said:

They haven't been the same since 62-36. That game marked the end of their empire and the beginning of their mediocrity.

That was one of the biggest "holy shit" days in college football history. The upset itself wasn't monumental but Nebraska hadn't given any indication prior to that game that they were unusually vulnerable. 

The 62 points-- I went back and counted (quickly and haphazardly):

Starting with 1980, Nebraska lost by 20 or more points six times in roughly 272 games. They gave up 40 points five times in that span, with a high of 45. They'd never allowed 50 points in the modern era. 

The 62 points allowed in the Colorado game was a school record. Since they got to 11-0 in 2001 (so, including the CU game), they've lost by 20 or more points 32 times in 212 games, and allowed 40 or more points 36 times, including 16 games of 50 or more, eight games of 60 or more, and three of 70 or more.

Now obviously it's not apples to apples because of the way offenses have evolved, but still. Ouch. Back in the era most of us grew up with, you had roughly a 1 in 45 chance of seeing Nebraska lose by 20 or give up > 40 points. Since Colorado violently depantsed them, it's been about a 1 in 6 chance. 

• Like 1