Uniform Pron

JimmyHoffa

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/6/2018 at 9:29 AM, Dnaguy said:

Oilers were so perfect for Houston.... but you're right. It'll never happen.

I do like your idea about the texas revolution theme. That would be the tits.

But that'll never happen either.

The current socio-economic breakdown of Texans fans would most likely object to any reference of Texas independence much like when MLS rolled out a Houston franchise. 

https://www.chron.com/sports/dynamo/article/Houston-soccer-team-will-86-its-1836-name-1881955.php

So we're stuck w/ bull, a meaningless name, and a team that reflects that identity. 

Oh I know... I recall the name change for the 1836 back then.  It's why you have the Sam's Army supporter group. 

That being said, the MLS has no power.  And a heavy portion of the fan base is of latino decent/Mexican.   I think IF Bob had done what I suggest when they first brought the team on that he could have pulled it off.  Everyone was so hungry for the NFL here and the tough-guy concept behind it would have sold I think.  I'm sure there would have been some controversy but they could have pulled off something. 

Instead they came up with the worst shit ever.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rustic Horn said:

Dolphins with some changes to their uniforms...darker orange and removal of blue outlining.

"Historically modern" is a magnificently shitty oxymoron.

That being said, going back to the true teal and orange is a good move / look. Teams with heritage like the Dolphins need to honor that.... especially since they've done nothing of consequence in close to 20 years.

23 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Tradition? What tradition?

Jaguars Tradition:

1.) 

incredulous.gif

So, yes. This holds to the 'Classic. Timeless. Tradition' standard for that franchise.

FWIW, the Jaguars aren't ever going to be cool until they move to London. Then they can change their logo to something reflecting the car logo .... even if that shit is owned by Indians (The dot kind, not feathers).

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqA_A-1TZBQnInYU6zFRX

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSSHkj2JtypYN-Ut6WoLMX

12 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

YES.  The Dolphins, Broncos and Patriots all need to go back to what they wore in the 80s, stat.  Looks fantastic.

Dolphins absolutely, those are perfection. I like the 90s + Broncos unis and the Brady era Patriots/ Ohio Glory ripoffs better.

5 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

Jaguars Tradition:

1.) 

incredulous.gif

So, yes. This holds to the 'Classic. Timeless. Tradition' standard for that franchise.

FWIW, the Jaguars aren't ever going to be cool until they move to London. Then they can change their logo to something reflecting the car logo .... even if that shit is owned by Indians (The dot kind, not feathers).

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqA_A-1TZBQnInYU6zFRX

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSSHkj2JtypYN-Ut6WoLMX

I always thought it better if the team was located in Orlando, giving tourist an additional event that can be accessed 8 times a year in the NFL...

• 1 month later...
On 4/9/2018 at 9:39 AM, Escapedgoat said:

utsa-13-orangeblue-1-675x380.jpg

I like UTSA Football, scrappy team, but they need to quit this look. Get rid of that stupid clip art Texas map flying UTSA logo and go with this.

Tucker+Carter+UTSA+v+Houston+xaCyPr4F1Uc

This should be their default road look, but they fuck around with color combinations and look ridiculous.

b4f7b1f4251c56fc0198e5fd06cfa9b3.jpg

Seriously man. Texas history and all that happened around there. Use it.

Like this "Victory or Death" UTSA concept?

375x250.jpg375x250.jpg375x250.jpg375x250.jpg

Part of what makes it possible for one team to have fucking badass uniforms is the mascot while others are left with shot because of theirs. The traditional teams with uniforms that generally don't ever change, don't for a reason - they don't need to. A school like Illinois, with the mascot of the "Illini," literally painted themselves into a corner as no one knows what the fuck that is. More to the point, no one cares. So trying to make novelty uniforms because they have no other options is the only way they can try to compete.

10 minutes ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

Part of what makes it possible for one team to have fucking badass uniforms is the mascot while others are left with shot because of theirs. The traditional teams with uniforms that generally don't ever change, don't for a reason - they don't need to. A school like Illinois, with the mascot of the "Illini," literally painted themselves into a corner as no one knows what the fuck that is. More to the point, no one cares. So trying to make novelty uniforms because they have no other options is the only way they can try to compete.

The Illini are a native American tribe, but they weren't able to cut a deal like FSU and can't use it in that way anymore so they're stuck with the generic "it means people from Illinois". This was their pretty cool historic logo along with the block I:

chief_illiniwek_logo_opt.gif?cb=14547730

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois_Confederation

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

The Illini are a native American tribe, but they weren't able to cut a deal like FSU and can't use it in that way anymore so they're stuck. This was their pretty cool historic logo along with the block I:

I appreciate the history. Even if they can't go back to that logo, they can still use parts of the culture from which their mascot is derived and have a mutual advancement for the tribe and the school. Surely this is something that someone has thought of?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

I appreciate the history. Even if they can't go back to that logo, they can still use parts of the culture from which their mascot is derived and have a mutual advancement for the tribe and the school. Surely this is something that someone has thought of?

It would take a suicidally bold university administrator to try to go back to an ethnic mascot, no matter how well-intentioned and well-thought out. Which is too bad, I agree that done well they can benefit everyone.

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It would take a suicidally bold university administrator to try to go back to an ethnic mascot, no matter how well-intentioned and well-thought out. Which is too bad, I agree that done well they can benefit everyone.

It seems their only choice is to change mascots. Perhaps they could choose something from the Illini mythology as that isn't about a people or any ethnic issue but it would still honor the tribe and help bring education about that tribe and its culture.

Edited by HOOK'EMHOOAH

On 5/28/2018 at 10:20 AM, texifornia said:

The Illini are a native American tribe, but they weren't able to cut a deal like FSU and can't use it in that way anymore so they're stuck with the generic "it means people from Illinois". This was their pretty cool historic logo along with the block I:

170px-North_Dakota_Fighting_Sioux_Logo.svg.png

The University of North Dakota had the same issues with keeping the traditional "Fighting Sioux" moniker, and now use a generic mascot that looks akin to a high school logo:

170px-North_Dakota_Fighting_Hawks_logo.svg.png

8 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

170px-North_Dakota_Fighting_Sioux_Logo.svg.png

The University of North Dakota had the same issues with keeping the traditional "Fighting Sioux" moniker, and now use a generic mascot that looks akin to a high school logo:

170px-North_Dakota_Fighting_Hawks_logo.svg.png

Their old baby Blackhawks hockey jerseys were so rad

NoNameNorthDakota_032312~0.jpg

Now it's hyper-generic like you showed

• Like 1

On 5/28/2018 at 10:20 AM, texifornia said:

On 5/28/2018 at 10:26 AM, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

The "Illini" are not and never were a single Indian tribe.  The term describes a group of tribes from an area much bigger than present day Illinois.  Almost all of the tribes were wiped out and/or removed.  The only remaining remnant is the present-day Peoria Tribe in Oklahoma.  So they have a couple of problems.  First, there isn't a present-day "Illini" tribe to get permission from like with the Seminole Tribe (who has a present-day band in Florida) or the Sioux (there are several bands of Sioux and I guess UND couldn't get a consensus from all of them).  It's also disingenuous, in my opinion, to try and embrace Indian culture after your predecessors successfully wiped most of them out and removed the others.  To then use generic Native American imagery and claim you are "honoring" them is in poor taste.  The fact that nobody complained for several decades isn't a good excuse to not change.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, tmoranish said:

Browns are changing their uniforms back next year. Much needed after these disastrous brown home jerseys... New-Cleveland-Browns-Uniforms-Home.jpg

Back to their old style? That's fantastic because those were great, and these they've worn the last few seasons are absolutely terrible. 

• Like 1

The "Illini" are not and never were a single Indian tribe.  The term describes a group of tribes from an area much bigger than present day Illinois.  Almost all of the tribes were wiped out and/or removed.  The only remaining remnant is the present-day Peoria Tribe in Oklahoma.  So they have a couple of problems.  First, there isn't a present-day "Illini" tribe to get permission from like with the Seminole Tribe (who has a present-day band in Florida) or the Sioux (there are several bands of Sioux and I guess UND couldn't get a consensus from all of them).  It's also disingenuous, in my opinion, to try and embrace Indian culture after your predecessors successfully wiped most of them out and removed the others.  To then use generic Native American imagery and claim you are "honoring" them is in poor taste.  The fact that nobody complained for several decades isn't a good excuse to not change.

Well if they were all wiped out then I say problem solved, go with the classic Indian logo...
  • Fuck You 1

6 hours ago, 'stache said:

No doubt. I agree with your position.

Any organization that uses a people as their mascot is wrong regardless of no one complaining prior to anything.

I diverge in position though in that using sports as a medium can be useful to open up meaningful and positive education about cultures and mythologies. As it stands, schools like Illinois have no where to go with anything and might as well just make uniforms that say "generic home/away team." Instead if an organization seeks inspiration from elements of the culture and mythology, it can foster the idea of people wanting to learn more. Anthropologically speaking, we owe it to every tribe and culture that was destroyed by our ancestors to honor and remember them. This kind of project can help us as a society to realize that we can't afford to lose even another single tribe. So many have already been lost and can never be brought back.

On 5/30/2018 at 7:20 PM, texifornia said:

Their old baby Blackhawks hockey jerseys were so rad

NoNameNorthDakota_032312~0.jpg

Now it's hyper-generic like you showed

I think the Sioux name and imagery should have been kept in place as opposed to the bird logo...

9 hours ago, Mileslong said:

Well if they were all wiped out then I say problem solved, go with the classic Indian logo...

Well, he who wins the war; writes the history as well... What will our grandchildren think of our generation erasing the history of Native American culture from the sports lexicon..?

7 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

I think the Sioux name and imagery should have been kept in place as opposed to the bird logo...

I mean this in the most positive way possible - ask @'stache his opinion on this stuff. I'm a white dude that grew up thinking Chief Illiniwek and Osceola and the other Native mascots were the coolest things ever. I was an Indian chief for Halloween on three separate occasions. I'm a bad reference.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, texifornia said:

I mean this in the most positive way possible - ask @'stache his opinion on this stuff. I'm a white dude that grew up thinking Chief Illiniwek and Osceola and the other Native mascots were the coolest things ever. I was an Indian chief for Halloween on three separate occasions. I'm a bad reference.

That's (you) is not a bad reference...

You are a vital part of the American experience, there is too much political correctness that goes on now a days where people try to judge who does or doesn't have a right to "cultural appropriation", but it's ok for a dude to go in the chicks restroom... what..? I think personally that some of the images of the former cultures of America should be kept intact, as to hold on to a part of our history, what if there was a movement to remove all nicknames as the Patriots/ Cowboys & Pioneers, because some see it as "the aggressors that harmed the original inhabitants on the Americas; now I agree to remove names as Redskins & Savages, but at some point this stuff is going too far...

I'd watch a Project Runway type show where three slobby sports fans set 12 or so designers to work on different uniform challenges every week. CFB one week, volleyball the next (think of the runway sessions), Little League baseball, women's softball...different sport every week, alternating between men and women. Every week a designer gets the heave-ho. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I'd watch a Project Runway type show where three slobby sports fans set 12 or so designers to work on different uniform challenges every week. CFB one week, volleyball the next (think of the runway sessions), Little League baseball, women's softball...different sport every week, alternating between men and women. Every week a designer gets the heave-ho. 

That would be pretty good content for the new ESPN+ I would think..!