Uniform Pron

JimmyHoffa

Holy crap those new Falcons unis are awful. The one they had were the best update/modern unis of a classic that was out there. Why are teams so stupid about this shit. Their classic unis were one of the best in the NFL
c692c42ab06613a6249ea39f62b28bf9.jpg

I like them going back to the red helmets. Maybe I’m just nostalgic for the uniforms I grew up with as a kid. I also like Tampa Bay’s old orange uniforms. I think the units they have now are the worst in the NFL (maybe a tie with Jville).
  • Like 4

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Holy crap those new Falcons unis are awful. The one they had were the best update/modern unis of a classic that was out there. Why are teams so stupid about this shit. Their classic unis were one of the best in the NFL

Such a sweet uniform. The red helmet is awesome. The new ones are ridiculously stupid. The font is terrible. The helmets are still ugly. To think people get paid big money to make these uniform decisions.

• Like 1

These would look even better tailored.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, 'stache said:

Even if they could just use the new patriot logo with a white helmet and the old school helmet stripe like the brady pic, it would be a huge improvement.

Yeah there's no good reason, theme-wise or aesthetically, for a team called the Patriots to be red, white, blue.... and silver. 

• Like 3

The Athletic: The best and worst college football alternate uniforms of all time

Pull up a random college football game from any of the past five years, and you’re more likely to see at least one team wearing a different uniform combination from its traditional patterns than you are to see two classic jerseys. Almost everyone is taking advantage of the increased availability of alternate uniforms these days in the eternal battle for brand awareness. Oregon, the undisputed champion of avant-garde football fashion, now has plenty of competition, as programs at every level of the FBS hierarchy switch out their color combinations on a regular basis to drum up national buzz and hold the attention of recruits.

Does that mean every alternate is a hit? Not exactly. In fact, the new looks tend to draw more extreme reactions, for better or worse. And as the number of new designs each season has multiplied, only the most dramatic reactions have stood the test of time.

What follows are our staff’s personal picks for the high and low points of recent alternate uniform history, but this list is far from the end of the discussion. Drop your own favorite and least favorite looks in the comments below.

Our Favorite Alternate Uniforms

Hawaii’s rainbow retros

Group15_8617-scaled-e1588013595589.jpg

(Courtesy of Hawai’i Athletics)

The best alternate uniforms don’t just look good, they serve as an homage to something. That’s why Army and Navy hardly ever miss when they break out alternates every year. But one of my favorites is the throwback uniform Hawaii wore at Ohio State in 2015. The road version was a clean head-to-toe white with pops of color from the classic Hawaii rainbow brand, a nod to the program’s roots. The 1980s throwback logo on the helmet is perfect. It’s different, but there’s no mistaking that it’s Hawaii. — Bill Landis

Iowa’s Blackout of Ohio State

USATSI_10390830-scaled-e1588171663422.jp

(Jeffrey Becker / USA Today)

From the early-week unveiling to the postgame field storm, everything about Iowa’s 2017 “Blackout” uniforms screamed intensity. The pants, socks, shoes and jerseys were black with grey stripes. Every player’s number was filled with hundreds of individual gray ‘I’ blocks on black, as was the entire helmet. With only one black stripe, the helmet contained a TigerHawk on the right side and the player’s number on the left. The athletes never were more excited to wear them than for their game against No. 3-ranked Ohio State, and it showed. Iowa safety Amani Hooker intercepted a pass and returned it for a score on the game’s first play to start off a 55-24 ambush. It remains the most popular alternative uniform among Iowa fans, players and football alums. — Scott Dochterman

Navy’s battleship helmets

Reynolds121215C-scaled-e1588003240463.jp

(Courtesy of Navy Athletics)

The special uniforms worn for each Army-Navy game stand out in college football’s crowded landscape of alternates. The look I liked most was Navy’s 2015 alternate, with the helmets of each position group hand-painted with a different ship. Concepts like that one honor what the academies are all about; if anything, they should be the ones with the SEC’s “It Just Means More” slogan. — Bruce Feldman

Florida’s white-helmet throwbacks

NelsonReggie_300930_459_Photo-by-Jim-Bur

(Courtesy of Florida Athletics)

This look, worn in a 2006 win against Alabama, wasn’t a uniform Florida wore in one particular season but rather a tribute to several versions of the uniform in the 1960s and 1970s. These were beautiful. They were clean, bright, and they popped in person and on TV. I prefer the old-school block F to the newer italicized one that has shown up when Florida has worn white helmets since. I wouldn’t mind these being the permanent unis, but I know I’m in the minority on the F. — Andy Staples

Air Force’s sharktooth helmets

USATSI_9777962-scaled-e1587051530629.jpg

(Casey Sapio / USA Today)

It’s all about the helmet here, as the gray jerseys that go with it are clean, albeit fairly basic. The sharktooth look is badass even if you don’t know it pays tribute to the nose art of the World War II “Flying Tigers” and the more recent Warthog A-10s. The Falcons wore the look three times in the 2016 season and went 3-0 in those games, putting up their three highest scoring outputs of the year (45, 48 and 49 points). I can only assume it was because of the helmets. Like the other academies, Air Force has had some cool looks since, but nothing will be as awesome as these. — Dave Southorn

LSU’s ‘Gridiron Gold’

USATSI_9546193-scaled-e1587746152454.jpg

(Derick E. Hingle /USA Today)

The Tigers have such iconic uniforms that when Nick Saban became head coach in 2000 he immediately told longtime equipment manager Jeff Boss to dispose of any alternates lingering from the regime of predecessor Gerry DiNardo. But if there’s one throwback LSU subsequently got right, it was these, worn in 2016. Those mustard jerseys with vintage sleeve stripes dripped ’40s-cool. — Allan Taylor

Maryland’s state flag tribute

090511fball16-scaled-e1587999922802.jpg

(Courtesy of Maryland Athletics)

Can you pick your own state flag out of a 50-flag lineup? Eh, maybe. But if you’re from Maryland, you definitely can. The flag — confusing and ugly to outsiders, beautiful to Marylanders — is everywhere in the state, and ex-pat Marylanders love to display the flag to befuddled neighbors. The uniqueness of the design makes Marylanders proud, and that goes for the football uniforms the Terrapins adorned, designed by Under Armour (founded by former Maryland tailback Kevin Plank), that steered into the concept to open the 2011 season against Miami on Labor Day in primetime. Did they look good? That wasn’t the point. Maryland football needed something to help it stand out. Those uniforms did the trick. — Seth Emerson

Pitt’s retro-turned-regular colors

USATSI_13665132-scaled-e1587743808333.jp

(Charles LeClaire / USA Today)

You know an alternate uniform is outstanding when the school eventually just makes it the primary look. That’s what Pitt did a few years ago when it started breaking out its blue-and-gold tones from the glory days of the 1970s and ’80s. Then, a breakthrough: “Hey, we should just wear these beauties every week!” Now the Panthers regularly have one of the best looks in college football, a salute to the Tony Dorsett and Dan Marino eras and a welcome respite from the so-serious dark blue and gold that was the team’s color scheme for two decades. — Andy Bitter

The best version of this look is the blue jerseys with the gold numbers, white trim and gold pants. It all works so well together, and I think we can all agree that it’s a significant upgrade over the previous uniforms. — Antonio Morales

‘Miami Nights’

USATSI_10392519-scaled-e1588103812659.jp

(Steve Mitchell / USA Today)

For years now, the University of Miami has alternated between orange, green and white uniforms. But in 2017, Adidas created the “Miami Nights” all-black alternate uniforms and struck a huge hit with a fan base that had long been clamoring for it. The Hurricanes debuted the uniforms in a win against Virginia Tech and wore them again in the Orange Bowl loss to Wisconsin a month later. They’ve since been worn two more times, a blowout win over North Carolina and a loss at Georgia Tech in 2018. — Manny Navarro

Missouri’s Liberty Bowl uniforms

USATSI_11923954-e1587051290909.jpg

(Justin Ford / USA Today)

The best uniforms I saw Missouri wear were in the 2018 Liberty Bowl. The all-white combination of jersey, pants and helmet looked sleek, and the old-fashioned Tigers logo on the helmet brought a sense of tradition. The blue of the Liberty Bowl patch jumped out nicely on the players’ chests. Oklahoma State wore all-black uniforms, making for a satisfying contrast of colors. The Tigers couldn’t pull out a victory in the final game of Drew Lock’s career, but they at least put together a uniform combination that sent the quarterback on to the NFL in style. — Peter Baugh

UAB’s Children’s Harbor tribute

USATSI_10332819-scaled-e1587744832661.jp

(Marvin Gentry / USA Today)

For the past three years, UAB has designated one home game for its gray and neon green Children’s Harbor uniforms. Not only do they look very sharp, but the names on the back correspond to a current or former patient from the nearby children’s hospital, and those families are invited to the game. I wrote about this special honor in 2018, and I can’t tell you how much it means to those families. It also inspires the players on the field; the Blazers are 3-0 in the Children’s Harbor game. — Chris Vannini

Arkansas in anthracite

USATSI_10360671-scaled-e1587745082267.jp

(Nelson Chenault / USA Today)

The Razorbacks haven’t worn an anthracite uniform since 2017, but the coal-colored digs featuring small touches of cardinal and white are easily among the program’s best looks. The Darren McFadden-era throwback unis are cool and nostalgic, but something about the anthracite has made them a favorite among fans and players. When the Hogs added a new chrome gray helmet to the look in 2016, it took it over the top. Maybe it’s the fact that they’re such a big change from the usual look, or maybe it’s simply because it’s a damn cool uniform. — Kelli Stacy

Utah’s homecoming throwbacks

USATSI_13435315-scaled-e1587745906437.jp

(Jeff Swinger / USA Today)

In October 2015, Utah football debuted an ode to the past that has since become one of the best retro uniform combinations in all of college football. These throwbacks to the ’60s and ’70s Utes are now a hallmark for the homecoming game each fall. The interlocking U’s on the white helmet were the old logo before the athletics department added the drum and feather to the current logo. The interlocking U’s also show up on each shoulder pad. The combination of red and white is clean, and in recent years, potential Utah football commits are seen donning this uniform combo during their official or unofficial visits. — Chris Kamrani

Clemson’s purples

USATSI_13632451-scaled-e1587746776384.jp

(Adam Hagy / USA Today)

Clemson’s all-orange uniforms might represent the fan base’s favorite time of year — the Tigers only pull that look out when they’re competing for a championship of some sort — but it’s the all-purple look that is by far the best alternate combination in the arsenal.

Clemson wears all purple only once a year, on Military Appreciation Day in Death Valley. Fans and players love it, and the uniform itself is the most aesthetically pleasing. Purple is the color of royalty. It’s easier on the eyes than orange. — Grace Raynor

Oregon’s 2016 duck homage

USATSI_9562690-scaled-e1587745370166.jpg

(Scott Olmos /USA Today)

You can have a whole series here devoted to Oregon alone, but considering that the school’s duck mascot is the best in sports — and there will be no argument — we have to go with the 2016 Ducks’ tribute to that lovable bird. Just look at those orange facemasks, socks and cleats, which perfectly complement the white helmets, white pants and green jerseys. The combo mixes all of the old and new traditions that make Oregon’s design team so great. (We’ll just try to forget what happened in that game against Colorado, along with everything else about that season.) — Matt Fortuna

Oregon’s 2014 green-and-gold throwbacks

uw-huskies-football-vs-oregon-10.18.2014

(Courtesy of Washington Athletics)

Although I lived on the other side of the country, I was one of those kids who were hooked by Oregon’s uniforms during the 2000s, but my favorite uniform came in 2014, when I was a senior in college. Auburn was off on the Saturday that Oregon broke out the 1994 throwbacks against Washington. The softer green and bolder gold color scheme, the interlocking “UO” helmet and the angry Donald Duck logos were all perfect. There were probably closer games on TV that night, but I left my screen on this one because I was enamored with these uniforms. — Justin Ferguson

Oregon’s 2011 spin on black alternates

oregon-asu.jpg

(Courtesy of GoDucks.com)

College football programs have spent an entire decade trying to come up with cool black alternate uniforms and gray/silver helmets. As hard as they try, they’re not gonna top this. The black winged jersey, “carbon fiber” silver helmet and gray pants are a perfect combination. Oregon changed the game forever when it started mixing and matching its options like this on a weekly basis. The Ducks evidently wore this specific uniform for only one game (Arizona State) in 2011, which doesn’t seem right to me. But that’s probably because I re-used it constantly when I played “NCAA Football.” — Max Olson

Our Most Hated Alternate Uniforms

Florida’s 2017 actual alligators

USATSI_10347472-scaled-e1587051161685.jp

(Kim Klement / USA Today)

The Gator is a tremendous mascot. It’s ferocious, scary and native to the area. It’s not just another Bulldog or Tiger. But it isn’t the most attractive animal. So when Florida wore these atrocities against Texas A&M in 2017, the Gators just blended in with the grass. That’s highly beneficial for a real alligator hunting prey. Not so much for a team trying to look good. — Andy Staples

Michigan State’s neon

USATSI_13513536-scaled-e1588104128575.jp

(Mike Carter / USA Today)

Let’s get this out of the way: Michigan State’s neon alternates, unveiled and worn for the first time in 2019, are objectively bad. The bright green pants do everything in their power to blind you on sight. The giant “STATE” across the front of the jersey is reminiscent of someone running out of space while writing ‘Happy Birthday’ in big bubble letters on a poster. Twitter rightfully tore the uniforms apart when the first photo evidence of their existence went viral. But it’s important to keep in mind these are the uniforms recruits ask for when they visit campus. It’s what they post on Twitter and share on Instagram. If it helps entice a kid to commit and the Spartans win a couple of big games in them, some fans won’t mind the uniforms. Key word: “some.” — Colton Pouncy

Tennessee’s Halloween 2009 black jerseys

Berry-e1587997334727.jpg

(Courtesy of Tennessee Athletics)

Until Halloween night 2009, the Vols hadn’t worn black jerseys for 88 years, and let’s hope we go at least another 88 before UT tries again. These trick-or-treat getups surfaced when the team quick-changed into black tops after warmups. Players lobbied for the alternates, and fans celebrated the result — a 31-13 beatdown of No. 21 South Carolina — but the mismatching of black jerseys wedged between orange pants and a white helmet resembled a Barbie Fashion Plate disaster. If you’re gonna tinker with unis, you’d better be willing to reconceptualize the entire look head-to-toe, as Tennessee effectively did with its “Smokey Greys” in subsequent years. — Allan Taylor

Tennessee usually has pretty good uniforms, and orange is my favorite color (though I prefer a darker, more sunset-like shade than Tennessee’s normal colors). Generally I’m fine with their uniforms, but the orange pants-black jersey-white helmet look didn’t do much for me. I’m no fashion wizard — quite the opposite, in fact — but I think you’re supposed to have matching and complementary colors in an outfit. In this one, the Vols simply threw together a jumbled mess. — Peter Baugh

Notre Dame in Yankee pinstripes: The cases for and against

USATSI_11696581-scaled-e1587747233501.jp

(Rich Barnes / USA Today)

Against: These were less alternate jerseys than Halloween costumes, a Notre Dame football player trick-or-treating around the Bronx dressed up like a New York Yankee. Most of Notre Dame’s alternates for the Shamrock Series have been edgy with some homage: military green for the game against Army, or touches of the Golden Dome on the fabric for the Purdue game. Even the Knute Rockne jerseys (faux old-school leather cleats!) from 2017 leaned into something Notre Dame. Dressing up like a baseball player did none of that. And replacing Notre Dame’s iconic gold with a dingy batting helmet? Just thinking about it makes me clutch my pearls. — Pete Sampson

For: Yes, I am aware that most of you hated these. But that doesn’t mean you are right. These jerseys paid homage to the most successful professional sports franchise in the United States on said franchise’s own turf. They mixed elements of traditional baseball and football designs beautifully, from the pinstripes on the pants that looked classic and clean to the matte helmet that looked like a batting helmet. I believe the backlash to these uniforms was not about the uniforms themselves but rather the success of the Yankees. Just because you personally didn’t have the honor of growing up a Yankees fan doesn’t mean you have to disrespect the pinstripes. They’re iconic, much like Notre Dame’s gold helmets. You’re all just haters. — Nicole Auerbach

Colorado’s one-off 1930s homage

hawkins-cody-2009-wyo-01-solder-miller-s

(Courtesy of Colorado Athletics)

Colorado’s intentions were pure on Sept. 19, 2009, but the execution … yikes. The Buffaloes wanted to pay tribute to Kayo Lam and Byron “Whizzer” White, program legends who each led the country in rushing during the 1930s. The jerseys were designed similar to what the school wore then, but the teams of that era didn’t wear modern helmets, so silver domes were created (Colorado’s colors are technically silver and gold). The helmets looked sort of like what was worn in the late 1950s and early ’60s, but they were an odd fit with the jerseys. Colorado beat Wyoming 24-0 that day, and thankfully, the look has never returned. — Dave Southorn

Georgia’s Pro Combat uniforms for the 2011 season opener

McClellinShea090311-03-scaled-e158774767

(Courtesy of Boise State Athletics)

Mention this game to Georgia fans, and the fact their team was embarrassed in their own state by Boise State isn’t what usually comes up first. No, the bigger embarrassment was how Georgia looked: Nike designed uniforms and a helmet just for the game. They looked space-age, or like an XFL team. At first, some people, including players, liked them and in fact were excited about them. But by the time Georgia was done losing 34-21 — and it wasn’t as close as the score — everybody was ready to burn the uniforms and never speak of them again. — Seth Emerson

Boise State and Virginia Tech’s 2010 Pro Combat matchup

D_1009_017_203-scaled-e1587997484776.jpg

(Courtesy of Boise State Athletics)

The 2010 Boise State-Virginia Tech game might be the worst alternate jersey matchup of all time. On Boise State’s end, the Broncos debuted a new one-sided logo helmet, which they still use and I will admit is solid. But the gray uniforms with “Boise State” in gray on the front made many wonder if the jerseys were inside-out. For Virginia Tech, the orange numbers and helmet stripe featured a multi-colored pattern for a strange gradient look. The word “radioactive” comes to mind when I look at the Hokies. — Chris Vannini

Ohio State’s foray into gray

USATSI_10396687-scaled-e1587747822404.jp

(Aaron Doster / USA Today)

Ohio State likes themes, and in 2017 its theme was “Land of the Wolves.” Don’t ask me why. The gray alternate uniforms OSU wore against Penn State that year leaned into that wolf concept, complete with a texture on the numbers that was meant to look like fur. Check out this groufit (that’s a combination of gray and outfit, for the uninitiated). You have to look awfully close to have any idea this is an Ohio State uniform. I’m not a huge fan of alternates that completely wash away any semblance of a program’s identity. Hard pass. — Bill Landis

Anyone else’s foray into gray

USATSI_9713591-scaled-e1587748030786.jpg

(Mark Konezny / USA Today)

The first youth basketball team I ever played on was called the Syracuse Orangemen. Our jerseys were purple. We were mocked endlessly, but maybe we were just trendsetters. How else do you explain recent versions of the Orange wearing gray jerseys?

They’re not alone, either. Illinois. Arkansas. Tennessee. The list goes on and on. Some of them don’t look terrible, but, well, most of them do. Yet schools keep trying them out. When the viewers need to actually think to identify which teams they are watching rather than having it automatically register, what’s even the point? — Matt Fortuna

Nebraska’s black-helmet 2012 alternates

FB-vs-Wisconsin-Bartunek-4013-scaled-e15

(Paul Bartunek / NU Communications)

Nebraska’s football program can claim a long history of success, tradition and pride. The Cornhuskers also have a storied tradition of terrible, terrible alternate uniforms. None were uglier than what Nebraska wore against Wisconsin on Sept. 29, 2012. Just look at the Big “N” on the jersey. The helmet looks like it could be the official helmet for Team Netflix. It’s just an all-around bad look that we should wipe from our memories. — Antonio Morales

Northwestern’s ill-timed gothic look

Image-from-iOS-10-2-scaled-e158800341141

(Courtesy of Northwestern Athletics)

Although I’m old-school when it comes to uniforms, I think most college football programs handle their alternatives pretty well (unlike the NFL, which has 50 shades of hideous throwbacks). Among the worst I’ve seen was Northwestern’s 2014 gothic look against Nebraska. There wasn’t anything wrong with the black-on-black-on-black with purple gothic numbers outlined in gold. The golden lettering was fine, too. In fact, it was a fairly sharp uniform. The problem was that the game was played at night at poorly-lit Ryan Field, and nobody could see the numbers on television. A year later, the Wildcats wore them again during a day game, and they were great. But it was easier to spot a ninja in an alley than determine which Northwestern player had the ball that October evening. — Scott Dochterman

Virginia Tech’s flexing HokieBird helmets

4.27p-foghorn-e1588003475672.jpg

(Courtesy of Virginia Tech Athletics)

This isn’t a uniform so much as a regrettable helmet that can make Virginia Tech’s entire look a bad one. The Hokies have a fine logo, an interlocked VT that’s recognizable to all. For reasons that are still hard to understand, they decided to replace that for a few games in 2012 with a giant cartoon-like HokieBird that somewhat resembles a flexing Foghorn Leghorn on one side of the helmet. It’s fine in theory, I suppose, but in reality, it looks like a giant brown splotch from any significant distance. Nike has done some inventive and good-looking stuff over the years. But this, I say, I say, was undoubtedly a misfire. — Andy Bitter

Texas Tech’s 2013 “Never Quit” uniform

IMG_1563-scaled-e1588003613951.jpg

(Courtesy of Texas Tech Athletics)

Texas Tech does many things well in the uniform department. I think their base uniforms are legit, and their shift to throwback-style alternates was a great call. But for a few years, Under Armour had Tech try out some truly strange stuff, including their “Lone Star Pride” series and their two brutal “Ombréunis. But this one is especially rough. It was certainly well-intentioned, as a tribute to Marcus Luttrell and the Lone Survivor Foundation. But the helmet covered in text, the shoulder design, the “NEVER QUIT” name plates, the butt stripes … I’m sorry to say this, but hard pass. — Max Olson

Michigan’s under-the-lights jerseys

Celebrate_FBL11-NDeb105-e1588011202892.j

(Courtesy of U-M Athletics)

There were many issues with Michigan’s Adidas era (as well as the Dave Brandon era) at Michigan — most notably the decision to turn “maize” into highlighter yellow — but there was no one individual decision worse than choosing to make these jerseys. The first mistake was doing any sort of alternate; Michigan has an iconic uniform and an iconic helmet, and you don’t need to mess with either. But these alternates weren’t even a throwback to a specific team or uniform. The release stated that the design came from “a fusion of uniform design elements from different eras of Michigan football.” The block M came from one era, the stripes another … and they added numbers to the winged helmet. On top of that, the maize coloring varied from the numbers to the wings on the helmet. Just a travesty all around. — Nicole Auerbach

(Top photo: David Rosenblum / Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

The Athletic: The best and worst college football alternate uniforms of all time

The Iowa alternate blacks and UAB grey/neon-greens (even if it's for a good cause) in the "best" section make me question whether these people have eyes.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Know I'm on an island by myself but I liked the Irish Yankee pinstripe look given the circumstance of where the game was played.  

They were definitely a marketing success, I see at least one of them almost every time I go to a Yankee game. Personally, I think they're ugly as sin.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

The Iowa alternate blacks and UAB grey/neon-greens (even if it's for a good cause) in the "best" section make me question whether these people have eyes.

Iowa's default uniforms are incredibly dull, though. Not only are they an inferior rip-off of the Steelers' unis, but tons of high schools use the same color scheme.

Their alternate blacks aren't perfect but at least they shake up the formula in a good way.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

There were some very questionable uniforms in the “Best section” but also some good ones.

I don’t think Michigan’s under the lights uniforms deserve to be in the worst. 

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Iowa's default uniforms are incredibly dull, though. Not only are they an inferior rip-off of the Steelers' unis, but tons of high schools use the same color scheme.

Their alternate blacks aren't perfect but at least they shake up the formula in a good way.

I do think they look better when they go away from Pittsburgh ripoffs and fully embrace pure black and gold like below. I think those alternates are too busy for a simple color scheme.

Iowa-all-black.jpg?resize=640,360

Edited by texifornia