Uniform Pron

JimmyHoffa

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

That would be the only correct way to do it - it honestly looks great. But no.

If we are going to go down that route, I think keeping burnt orange looks better than a true Iowa State-style blackout. It looked good on VY, at least.

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It must be tough going through life black/orange colorblind

Basketball's been doing it for a while now with no major problems.

I'm not saying it absolutely has to happen, just that it's possible to make it look good with some tinkering.

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

I'm not saying it absolutely has to happen, just that it's possible to make it look good with some tinkering.

spacer.png

I just think those look like butt. Real burnt orange looks muddy against black.

I am as hard-line as one can be about absolutely never fucking up our uniforms with black alternate bullshit (or gray or whatever). Yeah I know we've done the black basketball uni, and it looks like asshole. 

That said...if the player wanted to wear that black and white uni for a game, for a reason - I get it, and wouldn't complain.

It doesn't look good at all (but yeah, it is better than trying to mix black with burnt orange), but I can acknowledge that that isn't really the point, and if it is meaningful to the players, even I am not old and grouchy enough to disagree. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Like 2

4d35e79769721eacae1abab5c69cfc2b.jpg
Haven't they lost every game they've played in black jerseys?

On 6/7/2020 at 10:17 AM, vtaenz said:
On 6/6/2020 at 6:26 PM, satyanash said:

Think that has to do more with Shaka being inept.

15 hours ago, vtaenz said:
16 hours ago, maninblack said:
Think that has to do more with Shaka being inept.

It goes back to REDACTED.

Never ever use the B word in a thread.  It will summon evil spirits.

Like most of you, I'm a Texas uniform purist, but agree with those who believe that there are times when it can be acceptable to set tradition aside for the sake of a greater cause.  If the players want this for the right reasons, then this certainly qualifies as one of those times.

• Haha 1

On 6/6/2020 at 8:26 PM, satyanash said:

spacer.png

Like shooting fish in a barrel - JJ Reddick. 

On 6/7/2020 at 11:17 AM, vtaenz said:
On 6/6/2020 at 7:26 PM, satyanash said:

Not just lost buy humiliated a few times in those.

Like most of you, I'm a Texas uniform purist, but agree with those who believe that there are times when it can be acceptable to set tradition aside for the sake of a greater cause.  If the players want this for the right reasons, then this certainly qualifies as one of those times.
Several classic uniforms rather than doing a true alternate make a small modification to theirs. Why not add something like black numbers or a black stripe through Texas or maybe a black longhorn logo?

17 minutes ago, vtaenz said:
2 hours ago, idigTexas said:

Several classic uniforms rather than doing a true alternate make a small modification to theirs. Why not add something like black numbers or a black stripe through Texas or maybe a black longhorn logo?

The B word isn't "black,"  it's "Barnes," and now you have made me type it.  This thread is doomed. 

Why would we put a black stripe through Texas? Or any of these other terrible ideas? What’s the point?

Also not a fan of blue-bloods doing alts, and obviously I'm generally not a fan of UT football... but if the top public university in my home state felt like doing this with the support of their student athletes in order to show support for a cause rooted in our shared humanity, I'd applaud it. 

Edited by LTbear
  • Like 1

oh   grey will be your favorite... LOLz.

there's nothing like being at the game or even turning on the TV and wondering when your team is going to take the field.   "Oh, those guys not wearing our school colors are us..."

Edited by Iceman

2 hours ago, Iceman said:

oh   grey will be your favorite... LOLz.

there's nothing like being at the game or even turning on the TV and wondering when your team is going to take the field.   "Oh, those guys not wearing our school colors are us..."

"school colors" is such an outdated concept anyway

• Haha 1

As I've said before, I think alternates for the annual game against UT[who gives a shit] or a regional Louisiana school is fine. Doing that simple black one to honor African-American history at UT, given the current climate, seems like a nice gesture. Or just add a black stripe on the white shoulder stripes.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, texifornia said:

As I've said before, I think alternates for the annual game against UT[who gives a shit] or a regional Louisiana school is fine. Doing that simple black one to honor African-American history at UT, given the current climate

Three thoughts on this.

One, yes, if it was this or disband football for eternity, I agree, doing it once a year in a shit game no one would otherwise even notice would be nice, but that is NOT how this plays out in reality. There is a good chance that "just" wearing them in glorified exhibitions turns into wearing them any other fucking time it seems like a good idea to somebody. Ohio State has worn alternates against Michigan, not to mention Penn State, and that's not the only example of this kind of scope creep. 

Two, yes, the black jerseys/trim as shown above are the "least worst" thing I think I've seen proposed, but it is naive to think that's all we'll get once that particular Pandora's box is opened. 

Three, the bolded-- responding to this social crisis by playing dress up is the worst kind of tokenism. This would be the football program's "changing the Facebook avatar" response. 

4 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Three thoughts on this.

One, yes, if it was this or disband football for eternity, I agree, doing it once a year in a shit game no one would otherwise even notice would be nice, but that is NOT how this plays out in reality. There is a good chance that "just" wearing them in glorified exhibitions turns into wearing them any other fucking time it seems like a good idea to somebody. Ohio State has worn alternates against Michigan, not to mention Penn State, and that's not the only example of this kind of scope creep. 

Two, yes, the black jerseys/trim as shown above are the "least worst" thing I think I've seen proposed, but it is naive to think that's all we'll get once that particular Pandora's box is opened. 

Three, the bolded-- responding to this social crisis by playing dress up is the worst kind of tokenism. This would be the football program's "changing the Facebook avatar" response. 

Alone, is it kind of token-y, sure. But it, done well, symbolizes that we took the athletes seriously and is hopefully tied into real changes.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 3