Austin City Government - Circus of the Insane

skittlebrau

47 minutes ago, Lobo said:

And the head of Cultural Centers (Asian-American, Carver Museum, Mexicarte Museum, MACC, et. al.)...told me he has absolutely no idea where the figure $27mm for the MACC expansion came from.  We voted for it, we sold the entire bond amount already, expansion plans are under way, but neither he nor City Council knows how we arrived at $27mm.  Literally nobody knows, not the MACC staff, not Council, not the Department Head, nobody. 

Why would you vote for it without an explanation for how it was arrived at and why it was needed? That makes it sound like you are just as much part of the problem and should not be a voting member of that Committee.

1 hour ago, Orange&White said:

Why would you vote for it without an explanation for how it was arrived at and why it was needed? That makes it sound like you are just as much part of the problem and should not be a voting member of that Committee.

WE.  The royal we.  The city of Austin voters voted overwhelmingly to approve these bonds.  I'm not on City Council.  This is on the voters of Austin, not me.  We voted for it means my city voted for this bullshit.  Sorry for the confusion.  Next time I'll list everybody in Austin that voted for particular issues.  They stopped letting us vote on shit after I lost 3 10-1 votes in a row.  Now we just send along "suggestions."  If you don't think I should be a member, you're really not gonna like what you find out next.  

Edited by Lobo

5 hours ago, Lobo said:

WE.  The royal we.  The city of Austin voters voted overwhelmingly to approve these bonds.  I'm not on City Council.  This is on the voters of Austin, not me.  We voted for it means my city voted for this bullshit.  Sorry for the confusion.  Next time I'll list everybody in Austin that voted for particular issues.  They stopped letting us vote on shit after I lost 3 10-1 votes in a row.  Now we just send along "suggestions."  If you don't think I should be a member, you're really not gonna like what you find out next.  

So what exactly is your role on the bond committee? If it is not to approve/deny or ask questions about what the bonds are, it seems to be pretty fucking worthless.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Orange&White said:

So what exactly is your role on the bond committee? If it is not to approve/deny or ask questions about what the bonds are, it seems to be pretty fucking worthless.

We do approve/deny and ask questions.  Then Council goes on its spending sprees despite advice from me and the three major rating agencies.  

City of Austin Council does what it wants with wanton disregard for maths or the future.  It's all worthless.  It's all an illusion for one of the most prosperous cities in the world to run some of the best scams money can buy.  Are you fucking new to politics or something?  

18 hours ago, Updawg said:

You just had to ask didn't you.

Sorry we talked city government  business on a thread specifically about city government business.  We’ll take this discussion to “I’d Pee in Her Butt” 

27 chronically homeless Austinites will receive support for permanent housing over 5 years

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/27-chronically-homeless-austinites-will-receive-support-for-permanent-housing-over-5-years/
On Thursday, the Austin City Council voted to spend more than $2 million over five years to connect 27 chronically homeless people with permanent supportive housing.

83.3K per Homeless Person over 5 Years

$16,666 per Year

$1,388 Per Month

And not one dollar of that will go towards treating their underlying issues.  Makes sense.  You can’t graft a social worker, but you can skim from a housing deal 

Edited by Lobo

17 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Where can I recommend someone for this project?  We've got a fella who lives in the woods nearby who likes to skulk up and down the street and yell at kids when they get off the bus. Been here for years.  He needs some help.  And to be somewhere else.

Sorry for partying.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

Where can I recommend someone for this project?  We've got a fella who lives in the woods nearby who likes to skulk up and down the street and yell at kids when they get off the bus. Been here for years.  He needs some help.  And to be somewhere else.

Stop being so full of hate. You need to embrace this person and offer them a room in your home. Or buy them a condo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/20/2020 at 6:26 AM, Lobo said:

Found out yesterday from the head of Austin libraries that his permitting process to get a roof replaced at one of his east side libraries (so, not Adler's downtown toy) has already taken 6 months and is projected to take another 6 months on top of that.  He went all the way up to City Council and they told him they couldn't do any special favors for a city building.  Which, I completely understand but also don't treat a city project and leader extra shitty either.  

A leaky roof.  On top of a library.  Do I need to explain to the permitting office what a 22 year old leaky roof does to BOOKS?  If this is what the public sector is dealing with, what possibly hope does the private sector have?  

He took his position over right after the downtown library was finished.  The leadership team conveniently all left the department after construction was finished, which was $35 million over budget and 18 months late.  He finds that very curious.  He's also not happy about the CapEx required to keep up the downtown branch is as much as the next 10 libraries combined.  

And the head of Cultural Centers (Asian-American, Carver Museum, Mexicarte Museum, MACC, et. al.)...told me he has absolutely no idea where the figure $27mm for the MACC expansion came from.  We voted for it, we sold the entire bond amount already, expansion plans are under way, but neither he nor City Council knows how we arrived at $27mm.  Literally nobody knows, not the MACC staff, not Council, not the Department Head, nobody.  We just sold bonds to pay for "an expansion project."  And of course, the best part---the $27mm won't be enough...they at least do know that it'll take another $27mm or so to finish out the expansion plans on the renderings.  But they only know that now because they're underway with the contractor.  But not a single person involved with these projects knows why we asked voters for $27mm.  Somebody literally just threw the number into the bond proposal the week before it was due to to the ballot registrar.  And we weren't even trying to pry, he just voluntarily gave up these facts.  If you were to start actually looking around and FOIA some shit, you'd find a lot more bond amounts totalling in the hundreds of millions were proposed simply because they sounded good and we needed big, round numbers.  

The original MACC number of $15 million came from PARD and was in the package months before it was due. 

Here's what we (BEATF) recommended:

Cultural Center  Improvements. $42.5 million.  Funding for improvements to the Emma S. Barrientos Mexican‐ American Cultural Center (MACC), Asian‐American Resource  Center (AARC), George Washington Carver Museum and Cultural Center, Mexic‐Arte Museum 

Here's what came out of Council:
Cultural Center Improvements $56.5 million. Funding for major renovations and improvements to the Emma S. Barrientos Mexican American Cultural Center (MACC), Asian-American Resource Center (AARC), George Washington Carver Museum, Cultural and Genealogy Center, and the Mexic-Arte Museum

Everything that was in our package of $851 million had a fair amount of detail behind it. I just threw away thousands of pages of documents related to it last weekend. Who knows how the city got to $925 million.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, skittlebrau said:

The original MACC number of $15 million came from PARD and was in the package months before it was due. 

Cultural Center  Improvements. $42.5 million.  Funding for improvements to the Emma S. Barrientos Mexican‐ American Cultural Center (MACC), Asian‐American Resource  Center (AARC), George Washington Carver Museum and Cultural Center, Mexic‐Arte Museum 

Cultural Center Improvements $56.5 million. Funding for major renovations and improvements to the Emma S. Barrientos Mexican American Cultural Center (MACC), Asian-American Resource Center (AARC), George Washington Carver Museum, Cultural and Genealogy Center, and the Mexic-Arte Museum

Everything that was in our package of $851 million had a fair amount of detail behind it. I just threw away thousands of pages of documents related to it last weekend. Who knows how the city got to $925 million.

Well, obviously y’all didn’t include the graft, skimming, kickbacks, sweetheart deals and all those minor but necessary details.  🙃

Edited by Armybrat

13 hours ago, skittlebrau said:

And these are the things that people need to remember when these fucksticks are telling us they can’t afford something. I don’t remember what it was, but just last week I read a quote from Altair saying we can’t afford some $150M project. But we can somehow afford to be pushing for a $4BILLION light rail package and we can somehow afford to tack on multiple millions of extra dollars on to bond packages that wasn’t actually needed.

The bond program is a fucking ponzi scheme. They can’t get the bonds through all of the bullshit and bureaucracy within ten years of the bond passing. So by the time they start construction, the original cost has increased by 50%. So they have to take money from the next bond package to finish the last one. It is fucking criminal.

Yeah, the rooftop expansion and lobby renovations to the Mexic-Arte museum have been delayed for going on 5-6 years now.  So they had to go back and move like $3mm over through the reimbursement system into that construction budget.  Because...apparently 10 years after the initial capital plan was done, construction is more expensive particularly in downtown Austin.  Apparently all the cranes, street closures, and orange cones weren't enough of a signal...thankfully somebody went back and did the math.  

Lulz. Bozo is going to be shocked. A deranged homeless guy set fire to The Grackle. That's a giant fucking metaphor for City of Austin, City Hall, and the homeless. 

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/grackle-sculpture-outside-austin-city-hall-burned-to-the-ground

The Austin Fire Department says an arrest has been made in the intentionally-set fire that destroyed a grackle sculpture in front of Austin City Hall early Monday morning.

67-year-old Rodney Lynn Cook is charged with criminal mischief, a state jail felony.

1.APD_.11044179.001.jpg

He's a regular on the crime circuit. But all he needs is a place to sleep...him and thousands of leeches like him.

https://texas.arrests.org/search.php?page=1&results=14&fname=Rodney+&lname=Cook&fpartial=True

https://www.texascrimelog.com/austin/2019/08/rodney-cook-0601-0-attempted-burglary-of-vehicle/

Fuck Adler, Fuck the City Council and Fuck the homeless.

14 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Lulz. Bozo is going to be shocked. A deranged homeless guy set fire to The Grackle. That's a giant fucking metaphor for City of Austin, City Hall, and the homeless. 

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/grackle-sculpture-outside-austin-city-hall-burned-to-the-ground

The Austin Fire Department says an arrest has been made in the intentionally-set fire that destroyed a grackle sculpture in front of Austin City Hall early Monday morning.

67-year-old Rodney Lynn Cook is charged with criminal mischief, a state jail felony.

1.APD_.11044179.001.jpg

He's a regular on the crime circuit. But all he needs is a place to sleep...him and thousands of leeches like him.

https://texas.arrests.org/search.php?page=1&results=14&fname=Rodney+&lname=Cook&fpartial=True

https://www.texascrimelog.com/austin/2019/08/rodney-cook-0601-0-attempted-burglary-of-vehicle/

What is your plan for the homeless?

Just now, Pasken said:

What is your plan for the homeless?

Help (shelter and feed) the ones who want to be help, the ones who can stay drug free. For the homeless who desire to stay homeless and drugged out, make their lives miserable and drive their asses out of Austin and surrounding area.

Homelessness should be a transitional path towards something, not an end. For many, it's a choice as an end. Fuck them.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, crash_davis said:

1.APD_.11044179.001.jpg

Why would I be shocked? He's been around for years. I've served him food. He;s always doing cray shit and then getting picked up. It's exactly like mass shootings.  Everybody sees it coming. That's our system working as designed. 

20 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Help (shelter and feed) the ones who want to be help, the ones who can stay drug free. For the homeless who desire to stay homeless and drugged out, make their lives miserable and drive their asses out of Austin and surrounding area.

Homelessness should be a transitional path towards something, not an end. For many, it's a choice as an end. Fuck them.

The above is not a plan. What you posted here (shelter and care) is a short list of things in extremely, laughably short supply. Texas funds mental  health and drug addiction at a lower level per capital than 46 other states, and people like you don't lift a finger. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

31 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Why would I be shocked? He's been around for years. I've served him food. He;s always doing cray shit and then getting picked up. It's exactly like mass shootings.  Everybody sees it coming. That's our system working as designed. 

The above is not a plan. What you posted here (shelter and care) is a short list of things in extremely, laughably short supply. Texas funds mental  health and drug addiction at a lower level per capital than 46 other states, and people like you don't lift a finger. 

Lift a finger by feeding assholes like the grackle burner? Fuck no. I don't want him to feel welcome here. Fuck him and his Ilk. You're encouraging and enabling assholes like him to hang around, commit crimes, and leech off our tax dollars and resources. 

You act like Austin tax payers should have an open endless checkbook. Austin budget is already allocating $60M+ for the homeless. How much more do you think we need to spend to hotel, feed, medicate, clothe, and provide mental services to any and all homeless who flock here from the rest of the state and country. They are like the grackles. Endless population of nuisance.

Edited by crash_davis

Crash,

It’s cute you think we’re spending $60mm on homelessness issues in this city.  And Bozo is right—-nobody has a plan, least of all Adler. 

Homeless is a national issue, not just an Austin issue, or Houston, or Dallas, or San Francisco, or Los Angeles issue. The cities cannot and should not bear the sole cost of implementing the solution. If for some miracle Austin were able to develop a coherent plan that worked, guess what the fuck is going to happen? Even more homeless will come here meaning that Austin tax payers will continue paying more money towards helping the homeless from who knows where. It's endless. I'd rather my tax money go towards education, roads, infrastructure, anything helping the tax paying citizens of Austin, which the homeless are not. I have no problems helping people who want to help themselves but fuck these assholes who have no interest in helping themselves. 

My plan.

Press State and National legislatures for State and National plans and budgets. Austin and other major cities should not be doing anything by themselves. It needs to be addressed from local to National.

Specific to Austin:

Get Adler and the rest of the fuckholes in city council out. CoA allotted $60+M in the budget for the homeless, start using that money appropriately.

Develop a team in charge developing a coherent plan and spending the annual budget allotted for homeless

Hire therapists to help with mental illness and drug addiction

Temporarily house the homeless in buildings (and not purchased at 3X the market value)

Hold homeless accountable through drug testing.

Work with local employers for work programs to get people back to work

Purchase land for low income housing. Implement a Habitat for Humanity type plan where the homeless have to invest Sweat Equity into their new home. Yea that land will have to be far out because no one wants low income housing and all the shit that comes with it next to their neighborhood. Enhance public transportation to/from low income housing communities.

For those who continuously fail drug testing and/or commit crimes, throw them in jail or drive their asses out of town. Make them feel un-welcomed. Get them the fuck out of Austin.

All of the above is the already tried with addressing Welfare. Addressing the homeless will be as successful as addressing Welfare. Why? Because people suck and want to leech. Like with Welfare, homeless should not be an end. Sadly for many, it's a choice.

• Like 1

1.APD_.11044179.001.jpg

I think that is the guy that is my avatar pic.

I wish RKS was still around and running the reprobate summary. That was great shit.

Just now, Gardner Barnes said:

We should just put them on a bus and send them to LA. Quietly of course.

this seems to be the modus operandi for most of the cities across the US. buy a one way bus pass to somewhere else. hence the national/state problem. austin and LA just feel the impact. 

to get the national level support, we should all ship the homeless to washington DC

this seems to be the modus operandi for most of the cities across the US. buy a one way bus pass to somewhere else. hence the national/state problem. austin and LA just feel the impact. 
to get the national level support, we should all ship the homeless to washington DC

I’ll be quite honest here. A homeless man killed my best friend here in town 8 years ago. Fuck them. Get them the fuck out of here. I don’t care how or where.

• Like 6
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

I’ll be quite honest here. A homeless man killed my best friend here in town 8 years ago. Fuck them. Get them the fuck out of here. I don’t care how or where.

I remember that. What a tragedy for him and the people who cared about him. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

From today's American Statesman:

Analysis scrubbed amid land code debate

Austin demographer’s view conflicts with premise for updating land use code

By Philip Jankowski pjankowski@statesman.com

Austin’s city demographer was ordered to alter a city report last week after critics of the Austin City Council’s overhaul of the land development code pounced on the report as proof the effort was unnecessary.

In his latest quarterly report on new multifamily housing developments in Austin, demographer Ryan Robinson concluded that sustained growth in the sector contradicted “the false narrative that housing production within the city is somehow severely constrained by the city's land development code.”

“And even if the code were to be dramatically opened up with vast increases in entitlements,” Robinson’s analysis continued. “I'm just not sure we would see levels of production much above

ajax-request.php?val=Image_3.jpg&action=loadImage&type=Image&pSetup=austinamericanstatesman&issue=20200304&crc=saas-0304-hsan-001a_w-or9.pdf.0&edition=Austin%20American%20Statesman&mtime=50644969&paperImage=austinamericanstatesmanzoom_in.png

Robinson

what we're currently seeing — the pipeline of production must be nearing a maximum threshold of sorts.”

Robinson’s analysis could be explosive because it directly conflicts with a central premise of the controversial effort to update codes governing what can be built and where in Austin: that the city’s housing affordability crisis is exacerbated by a decades-old

code that is preventing the creation of muchneeded housing amid a population boom.

One day after Robinson’s report garnered the attention of opposition group Community Not Commodity, any mention of the land development code was scrubbed from his analysis.

Now, some critics of the land development code are clamoring that the city censored Robinson to hide information that proves why they believe the overhaul is unnecessary.

“This is a major reason the community lacks trust in the code rewrite,” said Fred Lewis, Community Not Commodity’s leader. “The city’s ’alternative facts’ approach is expected for Donald Trump, but not here.”

Jerry Rusthoven, assistant director of the city’s Planning and Zoning Department, ordered Robinson to delete a portion of his analysis from the report and made Robinson refer all inquiries to Rusthoven.

When Rusthoven spoke to the American-Statesman on Monday, he said he ordered Robinson to remove any mentions of a so-called false narrative in Robinson’s report because it was not germane.

“The purpose of the report is to analyze trends on certain segments and trends in developments,” Rusthoven said. “I thought the two sentences that talked about the land development code were not relevant to the purposes of the report.”

The City Council is in the process of approving the rewrite of the code, something that has been in the works since 2012. The effort could reshape the face of Austin for decades to come.

A central goal of the City Council is to increase the city’s potential for new housing units by 405,000 units in hopes that a third of them, or about 135,000 units, would actually be built in the next 10 years. Much of the focus for new housing has been on multifamily housing with an emphasis on using the code to encourage affordable housing.

But Robinson’s report showed that for the last nine months of 2019, developers indicated intentions to build 18,000 multifamily units in site plans — building plans submitted to the city that mark a significant milestone in a development’s creation.

The numbers for the last three quarters of 2019 are likely recordbreaking, according to data going back to 1992. The second quarter of 2019 recorded the largest gain ever in multifamily housing, followed closely by the fourth and third quarters respectively. The fourth-largest gain in new multifamily housing was in the fourth quarter of 2018.

Robinson also estimated that 74,266 new multifamily housing units are in the pipeline, counting developments under construction, approved site plans and new site plans.

His report called the amount of new housing “simply phenomenal,” but Robinson said his findings do not fully undermine the land development code’s rewrite.

“It is not meant to be incendiary, but it is hard not to comment,” Robinson told the American-Statesman before Rusthoven ordered him to cease speaking with the media.

“How can we have a land development code have that much constraint to it when we have this much construction going on?” he said. “We have enough housing capacity, but it is not in the right place and it is not the right type.”

Council Member Kathie Tovo said that Robinson, who has worked for the city for about 30 years, is a “very valuable” demographer. Tovo disagreed with the decision to remove Robinson’s analysis.

“For various reasons I would have kept it in,” Tovo said. “It is creating a lot of concern in the community about information and the shaping of information before it reaches the public.”

• Like 1

Much of the focus for new housing has been on multifamily housing with an emphasis on using the code to encourage affordable housing.

Just build all the affordable housing out towards Manor.  Might provide enough riders to justify the Green Line train.

Edited by clapclapclap

2 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

That fucking murderer is due to be released from prison in September 2022. My friend is dead.

The homeless are vermin. You enable their behavior.

I do? I’ve personally ejected a woman from a cold weather shelter during a freezing rain because she broke the rules.

I’m sorry about your friend, I really am. My mother is dead. There were no resources or support to help me get her into treatment and off drugs. As a result of a lack of basic medical care she got sick on the street and developed ARDS. She spent 3 months in the ICU on your nickel, recovered partially and died three months later of a fucking cold in a halfway house, when it was too late. 

Sorry you think people like my mother are vermin, but I’m not enabling jack shit. 

City to spend $320,000 to relocate current (10 Homeless) residents of Rodeway Inn (in order to house Homeless)

Austin City Council members on Thursday will vote on an ordinance authorizing up to $320,000 to relocate 10 people identified by the city as long-term residents to other housing options. Including rental assistance, moving costs and a bit of contingency funding, the total allocates $31,926.40 to each person, provided they move into a lease with comparable rent.

For those Austinites living on $15/hr for the past year and about to lose out on missed tips during SXSW and can no longer afford to live within the City of Austin, the council has decided that you are shit outta luck...you coulda been homeless this whole time and been $1,926 richer to boot.