Austin City Government - Circus of the Insane

skittlebrau

Our neighborhood pool opened yesterday for the summer. 

Once again, as in the past, regular visitors aren’t allowed in until noon. Opening at noon to the general public is a good way to depress the numbers if you want to shut down neighborhood pools. 

Throw those doors open at 8am or 9am and a ton of people will have their kids there. 

Noon?  Many parents who would take their kids to the pool at 8 or 9 have already had their kids at the park, etc. and are not up for going back. Kids are eating or napping, it’s getting hot and sunny, and many parents don’t want to deal with sunscreen.

/FirstWorldProblems

33 minutes ago, LongestHorn said:

My neighborhood pool will be closed for the second summer in a row.  Shipe.

I will be sending a harshly worded email to my rep, Kathie Tovo, whom I would smash.

If it makes you feel any better, the city would rather close your neighborhood pool and make you drive over to Mueller or up to Northwest Municipal. 

Which would probably cause you to take the kids swimming even less.  

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/city-leaders-left-with-no-easy-answer-on-ordinances-addressing-the-homeless/269-561503540

AUSTIN -- The Public Safety Commission debated on Monday if ordinances “primarily targeting homeless people” should be taken away.

The ordinances allow for those with the Austin Police Department to give homeless people tickets for panhandling, camping or living in public areas, or sitting or lying down in downtown Austin.

Marissa McGovern said she’s lived in Austin her whole life and works downtown. She said she’s noticed a spike in the homeless population in the recent years.

“Every day we're getting accosted, harassed by people trying to solicit money,” McGovern said. “And then when we say no, they get more aggressive, more physical, name calling, things like that, where it's kind of already not a very safe place to be.”

She said the ordinances allow her to call police to get help.

McGovern said she hopes they can find a better solution.

“I actually want to help work toward a solution that involves more beds for the homeless, more shelters,” McGovern said. “I don't think repealing these ordinances and letting people sleep on the sidewalks is really helpful to the community, it's not helpful to the homeless, and so I think they need to look into other solutions as opposed to just taking out the ordinances.”

The public safety commission voted and wants the city manager to get ideas from homeless and community members to see if the ordinances are making things better or worse for homeless people.

The commission is also asking city leaders to work to fund and expand community-based solutions so people facing homelessness can get connected to social services efficiently and effectively.

i don't really have any good answers here. i've long contended that arresting non-violent or criminal homeless people is a terrible answer. but at the same time, it's gotten quite aggressive downtown. to the point i don't want to go down there. when i was down there for a convention, i couldn't go a couple of blocks without our little party getting hit up for money.

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Our neighborhood pool opened yesterday for the summer. 

Once again, as in the past, regular visitors aren’t allowed in until noon. Opening at noon to the general public is a good way to depress the numbers if you want to shut down neighborhood pools. 

Throw those doors open at 8am or 9am and a ton of people will have their kids there. 

Noon?  Many parents who would take their kids to the pool at 8 or 9 have already had their kids at the park, etc. and are not up for going back. Kids are eating or napping, it’s getting hot and sunny, and many parents don’t want to deal with sunscreen.

/FirstWorldProblems

I went to the community lap pool today to swim laps, apparently they didn't get the memo that lap pools should be kept cold. It was probably 90 degrees at 7 in the morning.

/morefirstworldproblems

If it makes you feel any better, the city would rather close your neighborhood pool and make you drive over to Mueller or up to Northwest Municipal. 
Which would probably cause you to take the kids swimming even less.  

Northwest is great. It’s huge and never feels crowded. It’s old school though and not a fancy candy ass suburban resort pool so stay away.

7 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/city-leaders-left-with-no-easy-answer-on-ordinances-addressing-the-homeless/269-561503540

i don't really have any good answers here. i've long contended that arresting non-violent or criminal homeless people is a terrible answer. but at the same time, it's gotten quite aggressive downtown. to the point i don't want to go down there. when i was down there for a convention, i couldn't go a couple of blocks without our little party getting hit up for money.

The more you cater to the homeless, the more the problem will increase. That's why, besides the mild weather, so many of them gravitate to places like Austin & the Bay Area in California.

It ain't rocket science.

If that's what the CoA wants to do, then the citizens & businesses are just going to have to deal with it. Of course if you want the ARCH and the Salvation Army to be removed out of the hip downtown, then be prepared to fight the homeless advocates & "bleeding hearts".

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bill Clinton said:

So let me get this straight.  Someone steals my shit, I catch them in the act.  Previously, I'd call the cops and they'd get arrested.  Now, the cops can't do shit.

Well, looks like we'll have a lot more castle doctrine cases in the future.

• Haha 1

Not to in anyway defend the ridiculousness of this, but if someone breaks into your house and steals shit, they're not going to be charged with a class c misdemeanor. That's not the situation that this would apply to.

Why is it ridiculous?

The punishment for a Class C misdemeanor is a fine not to exceed $500. Arresting and jailing someone for an offense that is not even punishable by jail time is absurd.

That APD is much more likely to arrest rather than cite when the person is black instead of white is just another reason to avoid such discretionary arrests.

On 6/5/2018 at 9:17 AM, LongestHorn said:

My neighborhood pool will be closed for the second summer in a row.  Shipe.

I will be sending a harshly worded email to my rep, Kathie Tovo, whom I would smash.

Got two bucks? Feel free to Swim at Mueller, we've got two open pools. Enjoy your 2% homestead exemption on that Hyde Park bungalow!

47 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

Why is it ridiculous?

The punishment for a Class C misdemeanor is a fine not to exceed $500. Arresting and jailing someone for an offense that is not even punishable by jail time is absurd.

That APD is much more likely to arrest rather than cite when the person is black instead of white is just another reason to avoid such discretionary arrests.

The first thing I thought reading that tweet was that they were probably misinterpreting the situation. I follow the news on this type of stuff semi-closely and I've never heard people complain about policies that "affect black and brown people a lot".... it is usually because they "affect black and brown people disproportionately." One of those claims is bullshit and silly and unproven, the other claim is worth looking at and worth action over.

27 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

The first thing I thought reading that tweet was that they were probably misinterpreting the situation. I follow the news on this type of stuff semi-closely and I've never heard people complain about policies that "affect black and brown people a lot".... it is usually because they "affect black and brown people disproportionately." One of those claims is bullshit and silly and unproven, the other claim is worth looking at and worth action over.

For APD, when dealing with Class C misdemeanors in 2017, blacks were 1.8x more likely to be arrested as opposed to receiving a citation than whites.

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone help explain to me why Ken Paxton is involved in the Planning Commission makeup argument? 

Wouldn't Paxton, the supposed "defender of conservative causes" want to not be on the same side as the NIMBY liberals that are raising lawsuits against the planning commission makeup? 

13 minutes ago, TheYoungHorn said:

Can someone help explain to me why Ken Paxton is involved in the Planning Commission makeup argument? 

Wouldn't Paxton, the supposed "defender of conservative causes" want to not be on the same side as the NIMBY liberals that are raising lawsuits against the planning commission makeup? 

Local politics creates strange bedfellows, especially when it involves land use battles. NIMBY liberals are arguably very conservative when it comes to exclusionary zoning practices and protecting their neighborhood fiefdoms.  

Ken Paxton is involved because Fred Lewis took the complaint to Travis County attorneys, and they refused to get involved and told him to take it up with the AG to see if the City was violating its charter re: the makeup of the PC. Lewis did, and Paxton was more than happy to oblige as it offered him an opportunity to mess with Austin and interfere in what should be a local issue.

1 hour ago, UrbanAchiever said:

Local politics creates strange bedfellows, especially when it involves land use battles. NIMBY liberals are arguably very conservative when it comes to exclusionary zoning practices and protecting their neighborhood fiefdoms.  

Ken Paxton is involved because Fred Lewis took the complaint to Travis County attorneys, and they refused to get involved and told him to take it up with the AG to see if the City was violating its charter re: the makeup of the PC. Lewis did, and Paxton was more than happy to oblige as it offered him an opportunity to mess with Austin and interfere in what should be a local issue.

I understand on the face why he did it. But just screwing with Austin, isn't really screwing with "Austin" that the GOP guys want to do. 

If they wanted to screw with Austin, they would find a way to let the State Legislature rezone all of Austin, or do away with zoning in general in say Travis County. 

Backing up Fred Lewis and his cronies in another front to stop any version of zoning change in Austin just doesn't make any sense, unless you just hate the City Council and Mayor. 

3 hours ago, skittlebrau said:

Troxy announced that there’s a mystery candidate who will file soon that shares her political ideology.

I would donate to him over the Save Our Springs guy that's running. That organization is terrible. 

• Like 1

On 7/20/2018 at 9:43 AM, demos said:

Colorado St is a 2-way street (again apparently) as of today. That’s going to be fun.

I don't remotely comprehend why they did this but yeah, it's going to be a fucking shitshow with people trying to turn left in and out of all the parking garages.