Toy Story 4 - June, 2019

atomheartbevo

9 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Blatant money grab. Out.

Your kids are laughing at the fact that you are out.  Not only are you so in, but you are in for popcorn, twizlers, and slushees.

Toy Story was a ground breaking achievement and must see for everyone.  Every sequel after that is just a kids movie.  I can appreciate that some kids movies are better than others, but I have yet to watch one where I wouldn't rather be watching something else.  This will be no different.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Your kids are laughing at the fact that you are out.  Not only are you so in, but you are in for popcorn, twizlers, and slushees.

Toy Story was a ground breaking achievement and must see for everyone.  Every sequel after that is just a kids movie.  I can appreciate that some kids movies are better than others, but I have yet to watch one where I wouldn't rather be watching something else.  This will be no different.

I feel like for a 4th, there should be some sort of advancement (in technology/animation, philosophy/storytelling, something). If this is just a "should have been a straight to DVD release a la Lion King 4, 4.5, 5, etc., then I think TS will lose a lot of the sentimentality that a bunch of dorky millennials still hang on to with this franchise (guys like mdmost, etc.). To advance beyond a trilogy means either you are in it for the long game like James Bond, or you have a bunch of bad ideas (Good Dinosaurs 2? lol) and need to cash in and sell out (Rocky IV, Die Hard V, Mary Kate and Ashley part 19).

All that being said, I'd still be very much in if the subject matter matured to PG-13 and sort of aged in parallel with the aging demographic and you got an existential fight for existence from the advanced intelligent life forms of invading iPads of the iOS race that has infected all the kids like a virus versus tactile lame toys like a space man and cowboy, complete with some action paction and a meaningful death or two.

Edited by Guest

Yeah, I'm out too. The trilogy was fantastic and TS3 was just a perfect trilogy finale. I mean I'm sure I'll watch it once it's on Redbox but it's easier for me to avoid in the theater because my youngest is going to be 11 when it comes out.

Edited by Huckleberry

Just now, henrygandorf said:

well, they can certainly grab mine.  ts3 was awesome, and until they prove otherwise, i'll stick with this franchise.

Yea, I agree it doesn't seem like a bad business decision at all. Will slay in the box office on the backs of marketing/nostalgia/happy meal tie-ins, etc. if I had to guess.

My daughter (will be six next summer) loves the first three films, so we'll be in for this one.  My hopes are medium-high, as Pixar has very few disappointments (IHMO), but as stated above Toy Story 3 perfectly wrapped up the trilogy.  It will be interesting to see where they take the story.

2 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

I really hope Disney doesn't ruin this franchise with a 4th movie. I'm still pissed at what they did to the Star Wars franchise with TLJ. 

Disney did just fine with TS3, which is honestly where it should have ended.  Had they killed them in the incinerator it would have been one of the most epic movies/trolls of all time.

If TS4 or any Pixar movies stumble, it won't be Disney's fault.

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 4:24 PM, Sbbruin said:

Toy Story 3 was one of the (very) rare cases of a sequel being better than the original.  I thought it was the best of the series.  I doubt they pull it off again.

Well considering the actual Sequel(Toy Story 2) was better than Toy Story, it was the first of the rare cases of it being better than the original.

11 minutes ago, Drew said:

Well considering the actual Sequel(Toy Story 2) was better than Toy Story, it was the first of the rare cases of it being better than the original.

TS2 > TS3 > TS1

5 hours ago, Drew said:

Man that's tough...I loved 3, but maybe it's just nostalgia talking, but 1 was just so damn great.

Part of 1 was the fact that it was completely new. First CGI animated movie was a big enough hurdle. Disney wanted Pixar to do the movie like a Disney movie, and have the characters each sing several songs. Pixar fought that off, but Disney had them completely rewrite the Woody character, cause in the original plot, he was close in character to Lotso Bear. For example, he really tries to kill Buzz. 

In terms of finished product, all three are great, but you've got to give props to 1 for the groundbreaking and initial character development. 

Also, RIP Mr. Potato Head. Don Rickles is gone, and Jim Varney, the original slinky dog is gone. 

Hard to believe, but college seniors this year were born the year Toy Story 1 came out. 

Edited by Richard Kimball
nunya bidness
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
31 minutes ago, ajax said:

This looks bad.

The screenplay is by Stephanie Folsom, whose only other notable writing credit is a couple of episodes of Star Wars Resistance which I've never seen, but folks on imdb describe as total garbage.

when dealing with pixar or sequels, i wouldn't worry about the screenplay credit.  it's not like she created the world and the characters from scratch.

they've been dealing with #metoo drama so you knew a woman's name was gonna be there, but i'm damn sure a dozen people pitched in on this.

3 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

when dealing with pixar or sequels, i wouldn't worry about the screenplay credit.  it's not like she created the world and the characters from scratch.

they've been dealing with #metoo drama so you knew a woman's name was gonna be there, but i'm damn sure a dozen people pitched in on this.

I was wondering about bo peep seeming to be in charge of whatever that place is. 

24 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I was wondering about bo peep seeming to be in charge of whatever that place is. 

It's really looking like they're setting up Bo Peep to be the villain, most likely to be redeemed in the end. Hope I'm wrong about this.

There's just so much that feels wrong about this, not the least of which is the disruption of a nearly perfect 3 film arc.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 12:52 PM, ajax said:

This looks bad.

The screenplay is by Stephanie Folsom, whose only other notable writing credit is a couple of episodes of Star Wars Resistance which I've never seen, but folks on imdb describe as total garbage.

I didn't want to say it, but I'm worried for it.  It's their Tent Pole franchise.  They pulled off the rare feet of ALL 3 of that trilogy being great.

Worried it's going to be a big disappointment compared to the first 3.

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 1:21 PM, Sbbruin said:

Skeptical, but of course I will see it.

But yeah...