Toy Story 4 - June, 2019

atomheartbevo

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/20/2019 at 6:09 PM, atomheartbevo said:
I get it when they pay tribute to other Pixar and Disney movies, and I know Tom Hanks said this was his last woody movie, but the little homemade spork toy killing off Woody felt like they were copying The Force Awakens. 

Also,
[spioler] Jessie using Spork as a dildo was unexpected.

• Haha 1

Loved the Keanu "whoa" during the credits. Great movie, still like #1 the best but this was good, better than 3.

While I sat between my 4 and 5 year olds I thought about how a five-year-old that saw the original is now 29 years old. I feel old AF. I remember seeing the original when I was a teen in the theater.

Kiddo is a huge Toy Story fan, and she loved it. Wife loved it. So did I. This movie didn’t need to be made; “3” tied everything up nicely. I am glad Pixar did, and this is a very worthy addition. Ducky and Bunny are awesome, and Woody’s choices at the end were moving and in keeping with his character. Great movie. 

Meh. I didn't hate it.

I think Pixar is struggling. The story arc is very very similar to Cars 3.

Spoiler

The entire plot of Cars 3 was for Lightning to get back to racing, only for him to retire and not race. The plot of TS4 was for Woody to get back To Bonnie only for him to realize he doesn't want to come back.

10 minutes ago, ajax said:

Meh. I didn't hate it.

I think Pixar is struggling. The story arc is very very similar to Cars 3.

Reveal hidden contents

The entire plot of Cars 3 was for Lightning to get back to racing, only for him to retire and not race. The plot of TS4 was for Woody to get back To Bonnie only for him to realize he doesn't want to come back.

They should be doing Toy Story 1 type stories over and over.   More youthful kids joy and less mid-life crisis existentialism.

• Like 1

I rewatched 3 on Saturday and took the kids to 4 on Sunday. I don't think 4 was as good. Part of it may be that 3 was fairly intense and emotional, 4 had to come down a bit. It wasn't realistic to sustain that intensity into another movie, but 4 felt a little surface level as a result. The story was also kind of similar. In 3 and 4 there are toys that are ready to move on and Woody's trying to bring them back into the fold.

Enjoyed it a lot, but I still think 3 wrapped up the series better.  The Key and Peele characters were pretty funny with their ambush plans.

Who else noticed the music from the Shining that played on the record player in the antique store?  Also saw on a painting of dogs playing poker, one of them was Dug from Up.  Love looking for easter eggs in Pixar movies.

So the girl (high schoolish age) who "dressed" by potbelly Italian regular on multigrain (no mayo, no mustard, everything else) asks me how my weekend was.  Fine I say.  Have you seen Toy Story 4 she asks.  It's in the queue, I say.  She looks puzzled.  In the netlix queue, I explain.  Oh, she responds.  Did you see it?, I ask.  Yes, she said.  It made me sad.  Why so? I asked.  Everything ended so nicely on the 3rd one.  This complicated it.  It just made me sad, she said.