Those aren't pillows!!!!

McCroskey

One of my favorite movies.

It’s a slow build,

“Don't let me stand in your way, please don't let me stand in your way. The last thing I want to be remembered as is an annoying blabbermouth... You know, nothing grinds my gears worse than some chowderhead that doesn't know when to keep his big trap shut... If you catch me running off with my mouth, just give me a poke on the chops...”

One of my favorite rants of all time (incredibly funny, mean, and sobering at the same time),

“I mean, didn't you notice on the plane when you started talking, eventually I started reading the vomit bag? Didn't that give you some sort of clue, like hey, maybe this guy is not enjoying it? You know, everything is not an anecdote. You have to discriminate. You choose things that, that are funny or mildly amusing or interesting. You're a miracle. Your stories have none of that! They're not even amusing accidentally!”

Del gets his weak jabs in later though and it is accidentally funny,

“You know what'd make me happy?

Another couple of balls, and an extra set of fingers?”

And the piece de resistance, Marathon introduces us to our favorite high school secretary working a second job during the holidays...

“Oh gee, Marie, you’re a stitch... No, mom’s gonna do the turkey... Yeah, Dad loves ambrosia so I guess we gotta get those little miniature marshmallows. And I’ll do the Crescent rolls and you’ll do the cranberries... You know I can’t cook. [cackles] [snorts] Ohhh... Yeah, well I’ll see you tomorrow then. Gobble gobble. LOLOLOLOL [cackles].

Welcome to marathon. May I help you?”

And the part that always makes me tear up...

“Del, what are you doing here? You said you were going home, what are you doing here?

I uh... I don't have a home... Marie's been dead for eight years.”

And it reminds me to be thankful this time of year and that the world needs a little more kindness.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BlueGreySky said:

“Oh gee, Marie, you’re a stitch... No, mom’s gonna do the turkey... Yeah, Dad loves ambrosia so I guess we gotta get those little miniature marshmallows. And I’ll do the Crescent rolls and you’ll do the cranberries... You know I can’t cook. [cackles] [snorts] Ohhh... Yeah, well I’ll see you tomorrow then. Gobble gobble. LOLOLOLOL [cackles].

Welcome to marathon. May I help you?”

Eide McClurg always kills it.  She's a riot.

"I could tolerate any insurance seminar. For days I could sit there and listen to them go on and on with a big smile on my face. They'd say, "How can you stand it?" I'd say, "'Cause I've been with Del Griffith. I can take ANYTHING." You know what they'd say? They'd say, "I know what you mean."

John Hughes gets holidays more right than any poet, greeting card maker, or minister ever could.  

The scene on the El Train with Steve Martin alone, that was Hughes’ magnum opus.  He planned it for months.  

Aside from being fucking hilarious, the true magnificence of the story rests on the fact that you are watching two men traverse the same brutal journey.  For one, the motivation to endure is the goal of holding his family.   For the other, the journey itself is the goal.  The longer Del stays out on the road, the further away coming to terms with the loss of his best friend gets, and the closer he feels to her somehow.  

He is brought off the road and into that home not because he is pitied, but because he is meant to see the family behind that door hugging and laughing.  It’s the closure he never got because he never quit traveling after she died.  He is to slow down for a day and see that he was meant to move on, by standing still.  I’d like to think Del went back to where she died, mourns her, and moves on by putting down roots again.  

You can have sappy, shitty holiday movies with Jimmy Stewart.  I’ll take films like this every time, every year.  

11 minutes ago, Lobo said:

The scene on the El Train with Steve Martin alone, that was Hughes’ magnum opus.  He planned it for months.  

This.  This fucking scene gets me every time.  Steve Martin did a great job conveying a range of emotions and contemplation.

Edited by South Austin
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

John Hughes gets holidays more right than any poet, greeting card maker, or minister ever could.  

Aside from being fucking hilarious, the true magnificence of the story rests on the fact that you are watching two men traverse the same brutal journey.  For one, the motivation to endure is the goal of holding his family.   For the other, the journey itself is the goal.  The longer Del stays out on the road, the further away coming to terms with the loss of his best friend gets, and the closer he feels to her somehow.  

He is brought off the road and into that home not because he is pitied, but because he is meant to see the family behind that door hugging and laughing.  It’s the closure he never got because he never quit traveling after she died.  He is to slow down for a day and see that he was meant to move on, by standing still.  I’d like to think Del went back to where she died, mourns her, and moves on by putting down roots again.  

You can have sappy, shitty holiday movies with Jimmy Stewart.  I’ll take films like this every time, every year.  

Really, really fucking well put. 

You can start by wiping that fucking dumbass smile off your rosy fucking cheeks. Then you can give me a fucking automobile. A fucking Datsun, a fucking Toyota, a fucking Mustang, a fucking Buick — 4 fucking wheels and a seat.

And I really don't care for the way your company left me in the middle of fucking nowhere with fucking keys to a fucking car that isn't fucking there. And I really didn't care to fucking walk down a fucking highway and across a fucking runway to get back here to have you smile at my fucking face. I want a fucking car right fucking now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

And I sweater god, have y’all noticed the old man sitting next to Neil and Del in the bus station in Jeff City? He had mice climbing on his legs holding their shoebox house like it wasn’t anything and looked batshit crazy.

I’ve seen this movie a 1000 times and never noticed that until recently. Just perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, McCroskey said:

And I sweater god, have y’all noticed the old man sitting next to Neil and Del in the bus station in Jeff City? He had mice climbing on his legs holding their shoebox house like it wasn’t anything and looked batshit crazy.

I’ve seen this movie a 1000 times and never noticed that until recently. Just perfect.

You would never pass an FBI entrance exam.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2018 at 5:24 PM, BlueGreySky said:

And the piece de resistance, Marathon introduces us to our favorite high school secretary working a second job during the holidays...

Introduces?  Ferris came out the year before.  But that scene is amazing!

I need to revisit this movie.  I've always loved it, but I've never held it in such high esteem as some of you do.

• 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
On 11/21/2018 at 2:40 AM, futureman said:

chalmer’s big and tall men’s shop.  it’s a seven outlet chain in the pacific northwest.  great stuff!  unfortunately it does us no good here.

My favorite part of this line is Candy’s delivery. It’s so sincere and apologetic.  Made you believe if there was a Chalmer’s nearby he could save the day.