stolen wallet how to get money without an ID?

horn4life

First off let me say something that is one of the best hints I will ever give you- scan or take a picture of your driver's license.  If you have their processing number at the bottom you can order a replacement license online.  As opposed to gathering your documents up and going to the DPS.  

Now for the problem, how do you send yourself money if you do not have an ID?  With the new security around sending and receiving money since 9/11 it's damn near impossible to get money without and ID.  Now the bad news is I have been banking with a credit union rather than Wells Fargo or other national bank, but wonder if I could withdraw money without an ID anywhere?

I got lucky andy my credit union had a copy of my ID,that  they were able to email to my phone. And after some back and forth, a "shared branch" affiliate was willing to give me $150 of my own money after receiving a faxed letter from my Credit Union's manager.  So anyone have suggestions on how to potentially get yourself money if you lose your wallet and are out of town?  I thought I might have to go beg the owner of my local watering hole for a hundred for gas money to get back to Austin from Corpus.  Do any of the large banks allow you to do transactions with say a thumb print?   Or other biometric data?

Usually I have kept one credit card out of my wallet for just such a disaster, but that card expired and I put it back in my wallet when the replacement came.  I don't think you can even pawn anything without an ID can you?  Anyhow I was wondering if any of you had any thoughts on getting cash when you do not have an ID.  

Passport

Edited after reading the whole post.  Doubt you had your passport on a trip to Corpus... I keep $100 in my truck at all times and a grand in the safe at home.  I've used that hundred more than a couple times when I find myself out and about and forgot my wallet.  

Edited by Your Mom

From my motorcycle trip to Colorado/Utah/New Mexico in 2017.

It's a pretty helpless feeling when you're 1200 miles from home with just pocket change.

Friday morning I gas up in Steamboat and take off for the west. Every year I go to Colorado and say I'm going to Utah, every year it's too hot and I stay in Colorado. Not this year, I'm going. I don't care how hot it is, this is the year.
I pull into a convenience store/gas stop in Rangely, CO about 9:30am. Pull the helmet and gloves off, reach into my left pocket.....two tubes of lip balm and a pocket knife is all I find. What I don't find is my money clip w/ a couple of hundred dollars cash, credit cards, atm card, drivers license, insurance cards, basically everything you need. Apparently I left it in Steamboat(not likely) or I forgot to zip up that pocket and it fell out in the 154 miles between Steamboat and Rangely(more likely).
I sit down to collect my thoughts. I look up and call the station in Steamboat. No one has turned it in, they go look near the pump I was at, it's not there. Well, that saves me a trip

Ok, I'll find a bank and have funds transferred from my bank. I find Bank of the San Juans a couple of blocks down on main street. Surprisingly, there's a bit of a crowd, two people in front of me and one comes in behind me. Since my request is going to be a bit on the unusual side, I consider letting the man behind me go before me. Luckily, the line moves quickly and before I decide it's my turn.

I step up to the teller. " Hi, I need some advice. I've lost my wallet. Cash, credit cards, ID, everything. I'd like to see about transferring money from my bank to here. Can you help me?"
The teller is a young lady and very nice. "I can't do that if you don't have an account here"
"I'll open an account."
"You can't open an account without an ID."

By now, the man behind me and myself are the only customers. The other teller comes over and offers that maybe I could use Western Union. She calls the hardware store in town that does western union and asks if I can set up a password instead of an ID. No such luck, no ID means no funds.

Feeling fairly defeated and completely frazzled, I go sit in the lobby and pull out my phone. I'm trying to decide who to call or what to look up when the gentleman that was behind me comes over and sits down beside me.
"Tell me your story again."
I go through the whole spiel again...gassed up in Steamboat, lost wallet, etc.

"How much do you think you need?"
"I can't take your money." About then I realize that I'm going to have to take someone's money. "I don't know. I'm two nights from my truck and then home, gas to get there, gas for the truck to get home, something to eat..."
"$500 get you there?" And he opens up his wallet and pulls out 5 crisp, new hundred dollar bills.

I thank him,get his info so I can mail him a check. I try to give him my name and info.
"It doesn't matter." He's already figured out that I'm either going to send the money back or I'm not. Having my possibly made up info isn't going to change whether or not he gets repaid. I shake his hand, thank him again, and he leaves.

I ride to Mexican Hat, spend the night. I decide that I'll ride to Silver City the next day, retrieve my truck, and drive straight through. I'm not sure $500 is going to be enough for two nights and gas. I think it will, but what if something else goes wrong?
I leave Mexican Hat about 6:30 am Saturday and I'm pulling in my driveway at 5 am Sunday.
And I have $138 left. Another hotel room would have almost wiped me out.

TL;DR
I lost my money and ID and a complete stranger gives me $500 to get home. And won't take my info.

There are still good people in this world. I ran into one of them Friday.
What would have happened if I had let him go before me at the bank? He'd have never heard my story and I guess I'd still be there.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, horn4life said:

First off let me say something that is one of the best hints I will ever give you- scan or take a picture of your driver's license.  If you have their processing number at the bottom you can order a replacement license online.  As opposed to gathering your documents up and going to the DPS.  

Now for the problem, how do you send yourself money if you do not have an ID?  With the new security around sending and receiving money since 9/11 it's damn near impossible to get money without and ID.  Now the bad news is I have been banking with a credit union rather than Wells Fargo or other national bank, but wonder if I could withdraw money without an ID anywhere?

I got lucky andy my credit union had a copy of my ID,that  they were able to email to my phone. And after some back and forth, a "shared branch" affiliate was willing to give me $150 of my own money after receiving a faxed letter from my Credit Union's manager.  So anyone have suggestions on how to potentially get yourself money if you lose your wallet and are out of town?  I thought I might have to go beg the owner of my local watering hole for a hundred for gas money to get back to Austin from Corpus.  Do any of the large banks allow you to do transactions with say a thumb print?   Or other biometric data?

Usually I have kept one credit card out of my wallet for just such a disaster, but that card expired and I put it back in my wallet when the replacement came.  I don't think you can even pawn anything without an ID can you?  Anyhow I was wondering if any of you had any thoughts on getting cash when you do not have an ID.  

call your credit card company.  they can send you a card overnight in some cases.(amex)  they might be able to front you some cash as well if you get a customer service manager on the line.  and you can cancel your card as well.  not sure if there are surly members from corpus?

might be too late in the day to get it overnight if you haven't done it already.  cc companies deal with this type thing all the time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liteitup said:

From my motorcycle trip to Colorado/Utah/New Mexico in 2017.

It's a pretty helpless feeling when you're 1200 miles from home with just pocket change.

Friday morning I gas up in Steamboat and take off for the west. Every year I go to Colorado and say I'm going to Utah, every year it's too hot and I stay in Colorado. Not this year, I'm going. I don't care how hot it is, this is the year.
I pull into a convenience store/gas stop in Rangely, CO about 9:30am. Pull the helmet and gloves off, reach into my left pocket.....two tubes of lip balm and a pocket knife is all I find. What I don't find is my money clip w/ a couple of hundred dollars cash, credit cards, atm card, drivers license, insurance cards, basically everything you need. Apparently I left it in Steamboat(not likely) or I forgot to zip up that pocket and it fell out in the 154 miles between Steamboat and Rangely(more likely).
I sit down to collect my thoughts. I look up and call the station in Steamboat. No one has turned it in, they go look near the pump I was at, it's not there. Well, that saves me a trip

Ok, I'll find a bank and have funds transferred from my bank. I find Bank of the San Juans a couple of blocks down on main street. Surprisingly, there's a bit of a crowd, two people in front of me and one comes in behind me. Since my request is going to be a bit on the unusual side, I consider letting the man behind me go before me. Luckily, the line moves quickly and before I decide it's my turn.

I step up to the teller. " Hi, I need some advice. I've lost my wallet. Cash, credit cards, ID, everything. I'd like to see about transferring money from my bank to here. Can you help me?"
The teller is a young lady and very nice. "I can't do that if you don't have an account here"
"I'll open an account."
"You can't open an account without an ID."

By now, the man behind me and myself are the only customers. The other teller comes over and offers that maybe I could use Western Union. She calls the hardware store in town that does western union and asks if I can set up a password instead of an ID. No such luck, no ID means no funds.

Feeling fairly defeated and completely frazzled, I go sit in the lobby and pull out my phone. I'm trying to decide who to call or what to look up when the gentleman that was behind me comes over and sits down beside me.
"Tell me your story again."
I go through the whole spiel again...gassed up in Steamboat, lost wallet, etc.

"How much do you think you need?"
"I can't take your money." About then I realize that I'm going to have to take someone's money. "I don't know. I'm two nights from my truck and then home, gas to get there, gas for the truck to get home, something to eat..."
"$500 get you there?" And he opens up his wallet and pulls out 5 crisp, new hundred dollar bills.

I thank him,get his info so I can mail him a check. I try to give him my name and info.
"It doesn't matter." He's already figured out that I'm either going to send the money back or I'm not. Having my possibly made up info isn't going to change whether or not he gets repaid. I shake his hand, thank him again, and he leaves.

I ride to Mexican Hat, spend the night. I decide that I'll ride to Silver City the next day, retrieve my truck, and drive straight through. I'm not sure $500 is going to be enough for two nights and gas. I think it will, but what if something else goes wrong?
I leave Mexican Hat about 6:30 am Saturday and I'm pulling in my driveway at 5 am Sunday.
And I have $138 left. Another hotel room would have almost wiped me out.

TL;DR
I lost my money and ID and a complete stranger gives me $500 to get home. And won't take my info.

There are still good people in this world. I ran into one of them Friday.
What would have happened if I had let him go before me at the bank? He'd have never heard my story and I guess I'd still be there.

So here you are!  Where's my goddamn money, you welcher???

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liteitup said:

She calls the hardware store in town that does western union and asks if I can set up a password instead of an ID. No such luck, no ID means no funds.

False. I used to be a WU agent. You can absolutely send money to a person with no ID. It's kinda their thing being the whole money transfer to stranded travelers company. The sender enters a challenge question and you have to know the answer.

12 minutes ago, RPM said:

False. I used to be a WU agent. You can absolutely send money to a person with no ID. It's kinda their thing being the whole money transfer to stranded travelers company. The sender enters a challenge question and you have to know the answer.

Looks like they changed policies 

https://www.westernunion.com/us/en/why-do-i-need-to-bring-picture-id-to-pick-up-money.html

7 hours ago, phdhorn said:

So here you are!  Where's my goddamn money, you welcher???

Ha! That check was mailed the day I got home. I was so lucky there was no way I was screwing with that karma.

Now I have my pictures of my passport and DL on my phone and emailed to myself so I can access them online. I also have a cc loaded on my phone. There's cash, an expired picture ID and another cc hidden on the bike.

I was 100% reliant on the kindness of strangers.Out of money, out of gas, I had thirty something cents to my name. I couldn't even sleep in my car because I was on a motorcycle. Luckily I was in a small town, Subway in the c-store was the only fast food joint in town. Looking back, my next best hope would have been to call someone and hope the only hotel in town would accept their payment over the phone. Then have them FedEx me cash overnight. Or convince one of the bank tellers to let someone transfer money to their account and trust that they would give it to me. In today's world I'm betting most people would be afraid of a scam.

Liteitup knows of which I speak.  Amazingly lucky that you ran across a person with both a soul and a good heart.  My solution was going to be to have the wife withdraw cash and overnight it to me.  I thought about having her send money orders, but again still might need ID to cash.  

IDIOT savant - had the best insight and Wells Fargo was who I was thinking about.  The ability to use a kiosk to get cash without an ID would have been a potential lifesaver.  If just to buy time, or to open up an account at a local bank where I could wire money to and then withdraw.

I also like Zork's idea of trying to get a card overnighted from CC company.  I also thought about reaching out here on the board as I do have a banking contact in Corpus from shag... err... Surly who might have been able to help me out.  But I was hesitant to ask somebody to give me cash and bend rules at the bank, for a guy off the internet.

Mainly good to see that my brain pretty much ran through the scenarios most people would think of.  I guess the only thing I wonder really is if I could have found a pawn shop that would have allowed me to pawn something with only a photo copy of my license?  I'm sure if I looked around enough I could find some pawn shop willing to bend the rules, but I might have run out of gas searching.  I'll do some more investigating and if I find a real "solution" to this dilemma besindes "the kindness of strangers."

Edited by horn4life

Yeah I was thinking that if I used Applepay I might have been OK but with gas automated for pay at the pump I would have had to come up with some cash somehow.

I will say that I am somewhat pleased with the actual responses.  I was betting that "hit your knees, big boy" was going to be one fo rthe first responses!