Pellet Grills and Smokers

Teamdirtyleg

First cook on my new ugly drum smoker. FIL and I got a 55 gallon drum that was used to import honey with, burned out the liner, built/welded intake valves, exhaust vent, charcoal basket. Took a while to get the intakes right and get it set at 250-275 but I got it figured out now. Painted it with engine enamel spray paint. It’s called an ugly drum for a reason.

Threw a pork shoulder on at 10:15 this morning, wrapped at 2:30 and am about to pull it off and let it rest for an hour and a half or so.

Like this method a lot as it allows me to smoke at higher temperatures than the traeger I have. Total cost was about $120. Ordered some Weber kettle grill grates, thermometer from Amazon and used a bunch of scrap metal my FIL had lying around.

A2130C77-9A5D-490D-89C4-DB3071E3D10D.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, pearlandhorn said:

First cook on my new ugly drum smoker. FIL and I got a 55 gallon drum that was used to import honey with, burned out the liner, built/welded intake valves, exhaust vent, charcoal basket. Took a while to get the intakes right and get it set at 250-275 but I got it figured out now. Painted it with engine enamel spray paint. It’s called an ugly drum for a reason.

Threw a pork shoulder on at 10:15 this morning, wrapped at 2:30 and am about to pull it off and let it rest for an hour and a half or so.

Like this method a lot as it allows me to smoke at higher temperatures than the traeger I have. Total cost was about $120. Ordered some Weber kettle grill grates, thermometer from Amazon and used a bunch of scrap metal my FIL had lying around.

A2130C77-9A5D-490D-89C4-DB3071E3D10D.jpeg

It was good. Bark was a bit bitter due to over smoking it but I’ll get better. Wife, kid (and dog) loved it.

AE0D14D3-BC4F-4BE9-A05C-4CEA16BB6622.jpeg

4BB1E2AD-0079-424D-8EF3-022A87B194B3.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

Painted it with engine enamel spray paint. It’s called an ugly drum for a reason.

You say this, but that's the nicest looking UDS I've seen. Note you really don't need to mess with balancing multiple air intakes, just close all but one and control using the one.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/7/2021 at 9:02 AM, BearSchlong said:

Was thinking about this post. Im cooking for 10 for the game today - the one time I wish I had the 700.

What did you end up getting?

I ended up ordering the 340 today. I waffled a million different directions and looked really hard at a vertical pellet smoker but couldn’t find anything that was reasonable price and size. The Pit Boss 4 at Lowe’s looked great but reviews are 50/50, you either get a winner or junk. Sounds like they would make it right but there was lots of back and forth with parts. 

RecTeq dropped a spring bundle today that was cheap enough I didn’t mind paying extra for their pellets. 

• Like 2

Did my first cooks with the 340 this weekend. 

5# of sliced pork belly, finished it for an hour in a blend of spicy bbq sauce and maple syrup. It was amazing. 

I did 2 racks of St. Louis ribs using 321. Unfortunately had my temp too high during the 3 so they only came out about a 7/10 but had the prettiest smoke ring.

Being able to start a cook and leave the house was super nice. With the old MES I had to hang around to feed wood chips constantly.  

3DD7114D-557F-4E6A-BF51-FDA8DAC1E70F.jpeg

77E1C469-CE7B-44F5-AFFE-E8ABEBF997CE.jpeg

D7E5A57F-3346-469E-A71A-23E157838DCC.jpeg

Edited by Archer
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 4 weeks later...

First brisket took about 2 times as long as expected but I learned that weight doesn’t matter as much as uniformity of the cut. 

I was half drunk from waiting so long for it to finish but it sure presented pretty. 

6A288028-F5C1-4D7B-9843-03A940CC27D9.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 7

• 1 month later...

OK seeking guidance from the fine Surly chefs. I live in a dense urban environment so no room for a large grill. I need to leave in the garage and drag out, up one step, to grill. I’ve been using a Weber Q2200 and it is fantastic but I’m sick of 1 lb propane canister and don’t want to mess with adapter hoses and moving a 20 lb propane tank all the damn time. So, pellet grills have my attention. I don’t smoke much meet - mainly grilling chicken thighs, shrimp, pork chops, the occasional steak, veggies, etc but the pellet pizza making ability plus toying with smoking is quite appealing.

I have my searched narrowed to these 3 - any feedback? I’m leaning toward the recteq  …

Recteq Bullseye 
https://www.recteq.com/RT-B380-Bullseye-Wood-Pellet-Grill

Pity Boss Sportsman portable 
https://pitboss-grills.com/sportsman-series/sportsman-portable-2-burner-griddle

Traeger Ranger (but I’ll need to find a stand for it I guess)
https://www.traegergrills.com/pellet-grills/portable/ranger 

Edited by The Ace of Aces

1 hour ago, The Ace of Aces said:

OK seeking guidance from the fine Surly chefs. I live in a dense urban environment so no room for a large grill. I need to leave in the garage and drag out, up one step, to grill. I’ve been using a Weber Q2200 and it is fantastic but I’m sick of 1 lb propane canister and don’t want to mess with adapter hoses and moving a 20 lb propane tank all the damn time. So, pellet grills have my attention. I don’t smoke much meet - mainly grilling chicken thighs, shrimp, pork chops, the occasional steak, veggies, etc but the pellet pizza making ability plus toying with smoking is quite appealing.

I have my searched narrowed to these 3 - any feedback? I’m leaning toward the recteq  …

Recteq Bullseye 

A friend of mine has the Bullseye and loves it. Mostly grills, but can be used as a smoker.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1935523300108137/

• Hook 'Em 1

Recteq Bullseye 

Do a little YouTubin’ … there are video demos on just about every make and model available.  Some of the presenters are better than others, but most provide genuine opinions.  Happy Hunting!

• Hook 'Em 1

Recteq Bullseye 

Rectec probably

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, MidTexHorn said:

Update?

Slowly burning this thing in.  Extremely happy with it compared to the Traeger grill I had.  Build on this is incredible.  Solid and keeps the heat in.  Love the WiFi monitor.  So far I have smoked a brisket, made jerky, made bacon and baby back ribs.  I don’t regret spending a little more for the Yoder, after starting out on the Traeger.

93033353-D676-400D-AC46-CE3E2DF82A95.jpeg

7DC430F5-4C5F-4D2E-8BC7-C7C185FEFEC4.jpeg

70CE654F-9994-4C18-B2A7-F489BEB76C65.jpeg

A77CE130-A199-4607-BB88-1A662AE387C9.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Big D said:

Slowly burning this thing in.  Extremely happy with it compared to the Traeger grill I had.  Build on this is incredible.  Solid and keeps the heat in.  Love the WiFi monitor.  So far I have smoked a brisket, made jerky, made bacon and baby back ribs.  I don’t regret spending a little more for the Yoder, after starting out on the Traeger.

93033353-D676-400D-AC46-CE3E2DF82A95.jpeg

7DC430F5-4C5F-4D2E-8BC7-C7C185FEFEC4.jpeg

70CE654F-9994-4C18-B2A7-F489BEB76C65.jpeg

A77CE130-A199-4607-BB88-1A662AE387C9.jpeg

Thanks! I'm just starting to do my research and the Yoder is high on my list. Have you grilled with it yet? Curious about how it works for grilling steaks.

Anyone with  Green Mountain have issues with rust on the back?    I have a spot near the leg on the back that is rusting on the outside.  I keep it in the garage when I'm not cooking and never use it when there's any rain.   It's not even a year old yet.

What gives?

2 hours ago, MidTexHorn said:

Thanks! I'm just starting to do my research and the Yoder is high on my list. Have you grilled with it yet? Curious about how it works for grilling steaks.

all things BBQ has some videos of them using the grill function on it for what it's worth

• Hook 'Em 1

OK seeking guidance from the fine Surly chefs. I live in a dense urban environment so no room for a large grill. I need to leave in the garage and drag out, up one step, to grill. I’ve been using a Weber Q2200 and it is fantastic but I’m sick of 1 lb propane canister and don’t want to mess with adapter hoses and moving a 20 lb propane tank all the damn time. So, pellet grills have my attention.

You’re fine dragging a pellet cooker up and down steps, but not carrying a 20 lb propane tank a few feet?
  • Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, luke duke said:

You’re fine dragging a pellet cooker up and down steps, but not carrying a 20 lb propane tank a few feet?

I'm lazy. I'd rather move one thing that multiple things. Plus, I'm growing sick of the smell of gas when grilling anyway. Pretty sure I've settled on the Recteq Bullseye. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

https://lonestargrillz.com/collections/pellet-smokers-coming-soon

Supposedly, Lone Star Grillz solved the low smoke problem with pellet grills. Their burn pit design allows for continuous smoke like a regular offset smoker.  Price is steep but if you've got money and are lazy, you may have found the perfect pit.

Edited by CooterBrown

On 10/13/2021 at 8:40 AM, CooterBrown said:

Supposedly, Lone Star Grillz solved the low smoke problem with pellet grills. Their burn pit design allows for continuous smoke like a regular offset smoker.  Price is steep but if you've got money and are lazy, you may have found the perfect pit.

Yep. I’ve got the hots for one of those right now. I have one of their offsets and it’s built like a tank. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/13/2021 at 8:40 AM, CooterBrown said:

Does it go through 50lbs of pellets per cook?

8 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Can you walk us through the timeline? Assuming you're cooking on a smoker to 203 ish and leaving it wrapped in a cold oven? Paper? Foil?

i am lazy, so basically did what Chud did in this video. the concept made sense plus foil boat leaves top to get more crunchy, which i like.

he isn't a huge fan of the pellet, but not shocked based on knowing about him and the fact that he builds pits for a living haha

full process:

• ~3 hours on 275 fat side up - goal here is to get bark set > smoke tube is going to help it get a little more smoke.
  • flip over and cook ~3 more hours fat side down, going to lose some bark flipping it but is what it is
  • when IT hits 185-190, foil boat it (i added a scoop of tallow here, because why not) until 200 lean/205 fatty
  • let it cool on the counter or in the oven for a bit
  • overnight uncovered in oven at 170/180 depending on how low your oven goes - i try to time it so this is only about 12ish hours
  • pull out of oven next day and let it cool down to about 150 IT, while cooling i poured the tallow from the boat over it

i think wrapping it in peach paper would probably be better for overnight resting just because it isn't going to be "open" to the oven all night and keep it from drying out some. but honestly, i am not going to foil boat, then wrap it after i pull it.

it is still super juicy when you rest it overnight, but doesn't just leak liquid when you cut into it. much closer to what you are getting from an actual restaurant - they are warming often anyway, either on a pit or in a warmer, before slicing.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, NoName said:

i am lazy, so basically did what Chud did in this video. the concept made sense plus foil boat leaves top to get more crunchy, which i like.

he isn't a huge fan of the pellet, but not shocked based on knowing about him and the fact that he builds pits for a living haha

full process:

• ~3 hours on 275 fat side up - goal here is to get bark set > smoke tube is going to help it get a little more smoke.
  • flip over and cook ~3 more hours fat side down, going to lose some bark flipping it but is what it is
  • when IT hits 185-190, foil boat it (i added a scoop of tallow here, because why not) until 200 lean/205 fatty
  • let it cool on the counter or in the oven for a bit
  • overnight uncovered in oven at 170/180 depending on how low your oven goes - i try to time it so this is only about 12ish hours
  • pull out of oven next day and let it cool down to about 150 IT, while cooling i poured the tallow from the boat over it

i think wrapping it in peach paper would probably be better for overnight resting just because it isn't going to be "open" to the oven all night and keep it from drying out some. but honestly, i am not going to foil boat, then wrap it after i pull it.

it is still super juicy when you rest it overnight, but doesn't just leak liquid when you cut into it. much closer to what you are getting from an actual restaurant - they are warming often anyway, either on a pit or in a warmer, before slicing.

The warm setting in my old oven was 170 and the swings were such that I dried out a brisket trying to hold it that way.  Our new oven has a 140 setting and I'm willing to bet it might work a lot better with the lower setting and, simply, because it's a newer oven.  But I've had such good luck with a preheated cooler with towels to fill the head space that I've just gone back to that lately.  I may do a test of how much swing our new oven sees on the low/warm setting though.  I haven't gone longer than 6--8 hours in the cooler.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

From the interwebs, it does appear a 10+ hour rest in a warm oven is what makes Franklin and the other top tier places so consistent.  Many youtubers replicate it and it ups their quality significantly more than anything else.  I'd never put 2 and 2 together before even though in one of Franklin's videos from years ago, he talks about pulling off the briskets at midnight for the next day's lunch service. Obviously, a long hold has been his method since the beginning.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

From the interwebs, it does appear a 10+ hour rest in a warm oven is what makes Franklin and the other top tier places so consistent.  Many youtubers replicate it and it ups their quality significantly more than anything else.  I'd never put 2 and 2 together before even though in one of Franklin's videos from years ago, he talks about pulling off the briskets at midnight for the next day's lunch service. Obviously, a long hold has been his method since the beginning.

Probably out of necessity of putting on ribs and butts at midnight early on, but the results being what they are, it became the new standard.

51 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

How "warm" of a warm oven* are we talking about? 160? 170?

*insert obligatory "your mom's oven kept me warm last night."

3 minutes ago, Dutch said:

At scale this is necessary.  For most, if you have the time sure.  I've good really results with it wrapped in a cooler for a few hours.  I'd say your temps would be about spot on.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, dcbc said:

The warm setting in my old oven was 170 and the swings were such that I dried out a brisket trying to hold it that way.  Our new oven has a 140 setting and I'm willing to bet it might work a lot better with the lower setting and, simply, because it's a newer oven.  But I've had such good luck with a preheated cooler with towels to fill the head space that I've just gone back to that lately.  I may do a test of how much swing our new oven sees on the low/warm setting though.  I haven't gone longer than 6--8 hours in the cooler.

Does everyone know that drawer under your oven where you store all your pans and cookie sheets?  It's actually the warming drawer that can get pretty low on temps.

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

they are using actual warmers, i think Jirby talked about this in one of his brisket videos, but i want to say they hold at like 150?

Chud talks about the lowest your oven goes, which for me is usually 170/180

• Hook 'Em 1

Not the best comparison compared to his other videos but he took the Lone Star Grillz pellet smoker for a test run.  Consensus was the offset was ever so slightly smokier but the pellet grill produced juicier meat.  His opinion there wasn't much difference in the smoke flavor or overall product.  One guy at the end who has a pellet grill said the Lone Star one produced way more smoke in the meat that any pellet grill he's cooked on.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Does everyone know that drawer under your oven where you store all your pans and cookie sheets?  It's actually the warming drawer that can get pretty low on temps.

In wall oven here.  Warming drawer option was about $2,500 extra.  So I decided to let the oven handle this duty where necessary. 

On 10/18/2021 at 9:03 AM, CooterBrown said:

Don't know yet. I saw it on Smokey Ribs BBQ's Youtube channel. Here's his video going over the grill. Next video will be his first cook on it. It'll be interesting to see how much fuel it burns through.

Looks like kind of smoker that would have been used in Idiocracy.

• Haha 1

On 10/21/2021 at 7:14 AM, Pescado_Rojo said:
We have double in wall ovens and the bottom oven has a warming setting that goes as low as 150 degrees. 

I was looking at the manual for ours. The top "oven" is a combo microwave speed oven, and the low warm setting is 140. But it's too small for a brisket unless I can keep the platter from spinning during the warming cycle.

For the lower oven, it just says below 230, but there still are low, medium, and high settings. Sounds like I need to run a thermometer probe in there and find out what they couldn't bother to specify in the manual.

Oven combo is a new LG

edit:  Tested the lower oven, and the low setting is 145 F.  Perfect.

Edited by dcbc

• 2 weeks later...

So it got here Wednesday and I didn't have time to put it together and it was raining anyway.  I put it together today and started it up.  I already love it.  The one thing I cannot get to work though is the WiFi.  I read that they have issues connected to mesh or 5.0 ghz signals. So I turned off the 5.0 and powered down all but one of the AP's so I know my phone and the pit would connect to the same wireless but it would not connect.  Did anyone else have a similar issue? 

I started it up for about an hour today with just the pellets.  I'll probably burn a couple more times to develop a little bit of seasoning before I cook anything.  I'll be gone all day tomorrow anyway and am making chili on Sunday.