The Attorney General Thread

Patrick Bateman

Looks like the Whitaker era could be ending soon...... America is crushed.

An alternate candidate is Rep. John Ratcliffe (R-Texas) a conservative whose support of the president has won the attention and backing of others inside the White House, these people said.

However, a number of officials in the administration are preparing for the likelihood that Barr’s nomination will be announced in the coming days, these people said.

On 11/21/2018 at 9:07 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

Trump is the enemy of America that everyone on the right was threatening Obama would be. What's amazing is all the dipshit Republican voters who can't admit that they were lied to about Obama. They still think he was a Kenyan Muslim terrorist bent on the destruction of American democracy despite the incontrovertible evidence that he left the country better than he found it. There's a long list of things I wish he would've done better but there's no question he did a better job than either his predecessor or his successor. any president in my lifetime.

fixy

Roger Stone suggested they appoint a special counsel to investigate Uranium One as it was signed off on by the FBI and Robert Mueller was head of the FBI at that time.  What an incredible strategy, Roger!  They really fucking know their audience.  And they certainly know their base is morons.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/10/roger-stone-uranium-one-robert-mueller

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I can’t wait to go through Uranium One again, and then George Soros again just before election time. 

The South Pole caravan has already begun. Lots of frozen diseases that will defrost that the US has never seen before. Big and Dangerous diseases. The biggest I hear from really smart people. 

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently the new pick to be the AG isn't a fan of the Mueller investigation.  Imagine that.  He was so incensed, he sent an unsolicited 20 page memo about it..... Now, it could threaten his appointment or.... he'll probably have to recuse himself from oversight of the investigation.

LOL..... Trump's going to go apeshit after this guy recuses himself from Mueller.

17 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You sound surprised. What were you expecting?

I’m waiting for the front page 50 point font headline which states “Top Trump Official is found to NOT be a criminal and is NOT a corrupt piece of dogshit!”

now that would be some news. 

• 3 weeks later...

Confirmation Hearings...... (say it in your best Oprah voice).  So this guy, Fat Bill Barr is up.  Anyone believe he really has seen the light on unfettered Presidential Powers and Special Counsel Investigations?  Hmmm...  Interesting tidbit, apparently he's very friendly with Mueller regularly.  

We know what some of the left is saying....

Promises to stay out of Mueller's hair and supposedly make public his report.

Barr has a long and not always distinguished career in government.  There are serious questions about his opinions or views on mass immigration incarcerations, government surveillance and citizen's privacy, and underwriting a lot of the Iran-Contra pardons.  I heard someone describe him as Dick Cheney's little brother with a law degree.  He's ultra-conservative and a Beltway insider.  Should be interesting the next couple of days but I assume the Dems will let him off light if he promises to withdraw himself or stay out of from the Special Counsel Investigation.

5 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Should be interesting the next couple of days but I assume the Dems will let him off light if he promises to withdraw himself or stay out of from the Special Counsel Investigation.

He either won't promise to do that,  or if he does, he'll be lying.  He wouldn't be in this position right now unless Trump already knew this for a fact.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Straw said:

He either won't promise to do that,  or if he does, he'll be lying.  He wouldn't be in this position right now unless Trump already knew this for a fact.

I think Barr is there more to protect the GOP than Trump.  Barr’s background is old school GOP/Intelligence community and is better friends with Mueller than Comey.  

Trump is probably getting played by the GOP with this Barr selection, because he’s a fucking idiot.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

2 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

A lot of folks think he'll simply lie and use some legal ez to get out of it so everyone should be cognizant of his language.  We already know many qualified folks or rising stars wouldn't get near this administration.

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I think Barr is there more to protect the GOP than Trump.  Barr’s background is old school GOP/Intelligence community and is better friends with Mueller than Comey.  

Trump is probably getting played by the GOP with this Barr selection, because he’s a fucking idiot.

I'm leaning towards agreement there.  Listening to his Senate hearing right now, Barr is clearly an intelligent person who is speaking as someone who understands the institution.  I'm cautiously optimistic.  Leahy asking about recusal right now.

If anyone not 100% aligned with Trump wanted to breach his protective wall, all you have to do is appeal to his self interest and flatter him.  Barr did that with his letter.  It doesn't necessarily mean he's got Trump's back at all.

4 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

A lot of folks think he'll simply lie and use some legal ez to get out of it so everyone should be cognizant of his language.  We already know many qualified folks or rising stars wouldn't get near this administration.

I think this is a set up.

The GOP has literally no one in DOJ leadership protecting them on the inside except Rosenstein.  

They know the Mueller Report is going to be bad and they can’t get away with suppressing, the public wouldn’t allow it.  Mueller will testify anyway.

I think the plan is to minimize the collateral damage of the Mueller investigation and have it only take out Trump, if anyone.

21 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Barr answering a lot of questions that might make Dotard's carotids bulge.  But that presupposes Dotard comprehends what's being said.

Very, very polished.  He's going to get confirmed but he's a pretty scary guy.  A guy who will laugh as he's slitting your throat.  I do think he's did very well in the few minutes I got to watch.

Has already given a few answer which give cause for concern apparently.  He's technically correct, but with his background on the subject matter, it's still concerning.

Again... a technicality.  Hiding or simply being precise in his language?

Saw a clip of this.  Seemed like a good response.  He's older and at the end of the career road, not looking to ambitiously advance career.  

31 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Detailed updates regarding his answers for those of us at work?

There was another important question posited by Leahy about eminent domain.  Barr clarified that he was asking wrt to the border wall, then without hesitation responded he didn't know but would first refer it the Office of Legal Counsel.  Seems like a responsible and correct answer. 

I can see that he's providing answers that will not simply tie his hands.  But he also demonstrates a clear grasp of the existing institutional layers and appears very knowledgable about working within that framework.   

Edited by triplehorn

22 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Apparently, Barr just laid testimony in which he supports a wall and is laying down blame at the D's for the shutdown because there weren't "barriers" across the entire border. 

Jesus, can't we have one nomination hearing for a "above the politics" position (SCOTUS, AG) that doesn't devolve into a Trump appointee screaming blame at Democrats?

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Jesus, can't we have one nomination hearing for a "above the politics" position (SCOTUS, AG) that doesn't devolve into a Trump appointee screaming blame at Democrats?

LOL.  Didn't see it, but Barr doesn't seem like a screamer.  He's more of a hemmer and hawwer.  Again, typical DC lawyer, furrowed brow, big laugh, a lot of words.... pick pocketing you and slitting your throat.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

bird dog his ass.

Adam Schiff Demands Investigation Into Barr’s Trump Felony Cover-Up

Rep. Schiff said in a statement provided to PoliticusUSA:

"The documents unsealed in the SDNY case against Michael Cohen demonstrate that Donald Trump was intimately involved in devising and executing a corrupt scheme to prevent his affair with Stormy Daniels from being revealed in the final weeks of the 2016 election. They show that contrary to his public statements for months afterwards seeking to distance himself from the payments that were made to Daniels, and another woman, Karen McDougal, he authorized the illegal payment of hush money, and coordinated doing so with his attorney, Cohen, and his Press Secretary, Hope Hicks.

The inescapable conclusion from all of the public materials available now is that there was ample evidence to charge Donald Trump with the same criminal election law violations for which Michael Cohen pled guilty and is now serving time in prison. Were Individual-1 not protected by the DOJ opinion prohibiting the indictment of a sitting president, he would be criminally charged as Cohen’s co-conspirator.

Though Trump and those around him have sought to diminish the significance of the laws that were broken, the record demonstrates that Trump and his inner circle viewed the possibility of these stories coming out in the final days of a presidential campaign to be an existential threat to his candidacy, and their successful scheme to break the law to buy silence may have had a determinative impact on the outcome of the election. The available evidence therefore strongly supports the conclusion that Trump committed an election law crime in order to influence the election.

There are still a great many questions unanswered by the documents made public today, including Trump’s legal exposure when he leaves office, but the one of most immediate concern to me is the involvement, if any, of Attorney General Barr. Barr testified that he believes it was within the President’s power to stop any investigation into his own potential criminality if he felt an investigation was unfair. Barr has demonstrated there are no lengths to which he will not go to protect the President, and I believe it is of paramount importance to determine if he had any involvement in the SDNY’s investigation or sought to bring it to a close."

th?id=OIP.Vqrysf0uRQVT0OnBsUo-_gHaE7&pid

bird dog his ass.

Adam Schiff Demands Investigation Into Barr’s Trump Felony Cover-Up
Rep. Schiff said in a statement provided to PoliticusUSA:

"The documents unsealed in the SDNY case against Michael Cohen demonstrate that Donald Trump was intimately involved in devising and executing a corrupt scheme to prevent his affair with Stormy Daniels from being revealed in the final weeks of the 2016 election. They show that contrary to his public statements for months afterwards seeking to distance himself from the payments that were made to Daniels, and another woman, Karen McDougal, he authorized the illegal payment of hush money, and coordinated doing so with his attorney, Cohen, and his Press Secretary, Hope Hicks.
The inescapable conclusion from all of the public materials available now is that there was ample evidence to charge Donald Trump with the same criminal election law violations for which Michael Cohen pled guilty and is now serving time in prison. Were Individual-1 not protected by the DOJ opinion prohibiting the indictment of a sitting president, he would be criminally charged as Cohen’s co-conspirator.
Though Trump and those around him have sought to diminish the significance of the laws that were broken, the record demonstrates that Trump and his inner circle viewed the possibility of these stories coming out in the final days of a presidential campaign to be an existential threat to his candidacy, and their successful scheme to break the law to buy silence may have had a determinative impact on the outcome of the election. The available evidence therefore strongly supports the conclusion that Trump committed an election law crime in order to influence the election.
There are still a great many questions unanswered by the documents made public today, including Trump’s legal exposure when he leaves office, but the one of most immediate concern to me is the involvement, if any, of Attorney General Barr. Barr testified that he believes it was within the President’s power to stop any investigation into his own potential criminality if he felt an investigation was unfair. Barr has demonstrated there are no lengths to which he will not go to protect the President, and I believe it is of paramount importance to determine if he had any involvement in the SDNY’s investigation or sought to bring it to a close."

th?id=OIP.Vqrysf0uRQVT0OnBsUo-_gHaE7&pid=Api&P=0&w=232&h=155

Reading that makes me livid, because his conclusions, if believed, necessitate impeachment, and that’s going nowhere.

27 minutes ago, retread said:

Well, I'd like to see ole Bill Barr wriggle his way out of this jam...

- It appears Barr forced a premature conclusion to Mueller's investigation then lied about the report to the public and Congress

- It appears he shut down the investigation into Trump Org

- It appears he shut down the investigation into Cohen/Trump campaign finance felony

Greater than a dozen investigations Mueller farmed out ?  Probably asphyxiated by Barr.

Make him wriggle ffs.