Movies Anywhere/Online Streaming Library Construction

LCHorn

So now that I have a two year old I'm trying to build up a library of nutritious media and introduce him to the high points of age appropriate film (and some less appropriate). 

It would seem streaming is a much less cumbersome and more flexible option going forward than relying on dvd players.  That said, I don't like the whole concept of purchasing licenses without owning the physical media (for one, I don't want the library to disappear if I pick the wrong company, as unlikely as it may be that Apple or Amazon would ever go away). 

Anyone have opinions on the best options here, or something that worked for you?  I know you can scan a dvd to digital on VUDU and then use Movies Anywhere to make it available across different platforms, but there may be cheaper or more versatile options about which I'm unaware.

Also, it looks like it's just a matter of scanning in UPC codes and then paying $5 for a HD digital license.  What's to stop someone from just getting a bunch of dvd's from the library and using the UPC's from them (I suspect the location tracking on the phone makes it a requirement that the scan be done in your own home, but it doesn't have to be something you own to work). 

You are overthinking it.  Just pop him in front of Netflix kids or youtube kids and let him rot his brain that way.  Rent movies from whatever platform you prefer.  Don't worry about building a library of film.  Who watches movies more than once?  Old people because that is the only thing they understand.  You have a nostalgia for the movies you grew up on, but those movies are no more entertaining to your child than watching youtube videos of some dude named Blippi.

As far as your actual concern, the digital media you purchase would have less obsolescence factor than the machines needed to play physical copies.  You are talking about short term here.  Whatever library you build doesn't need to be handed down to his kids.

we buy our movies on google play and watch from there.  it's good because you can access it from almost anywhere if you have an internet cxn.  

we also use netflix.  they have an option to download movies you want to watch for planes or long car rides.

23 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Who watches movies more than once? 

You must not have kids.  We watched Charlie and the Chocolate Factory four times this past weekend (his Mom was out of town so I had to keep him occupied somehow).  Introduced him to the Iron Giant last night and I'm sure that'll be put in the rotation. 

Netflix has too many modern options, and I'm not a big fan of the visuals (not that the art is bad, but it's bombastic and loud--developing brains need something slower paced, which is one reason why Mr. Rogers has stood the test of time).  Older Disney-type movies like those conceived under Walt are safer, not to mention they are retelling classics of children's literature and creating foundational archetypes, for better or for worse. 

We use Movies Anywhere. My understanding is that it originated with Disney somehow but they've signed up all(?) of the other major studios, etc. I think the idea is to make it not matter where you buy digital movies. Basically, you can link your Amazon, iTunes, Google, Vudu, and a few other accounts all to MA, and anything you own/buy on one of them shows up in the Movies Anywhere app (and maybe in the others as well, not sure about that). So far I don't have any complaints about how well it works.

I hear you on not actually owning any physical media, I have paranoid moments about it too. But digital is just so damn convenient. Generally what we do for kid movies is buy (or ask grandparents, etc) for Blu-Ray copies that include digital versions as well (most do these days). That way you can activate the digital copy on MA and watch it there but if it ever disappears you at least have the disc to fall back on.

I have 3 kids.  Any notion that a 2 year old needs to watch a movie over and over as opposed to whatever is on Netflix or youtube is rubbish.  Having a library is only useful if you plan on being without internet access.  You want your kids to watch the movies you watched because you think they are special, but they are just as easily entertained by youtube.  That's fee and it isn't going anywhere.

20 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I have 3 kids.  Any notion that a 2 year old needs to watch a movie over and over as opposed to whatever is on Netflix or youtube is rubbish. 

Your kids are definitely the weird ones here. And kudos to you for that because listening to the same shit over and over and over again is a fucking beating.