Uncle Rico can't even throw the ball 80 yards, you dumbass...

On 11/21/2018 at 6:19 PM, 52-80 said:

i was always curious whether i could outrun 300# NFL linemen.

timed myself doing the 40yd...

cliffs: i could not.

It was that kind of thing right there (bolded) that ended my walk on career at SWT.  Lasted a little over a week.

I was in the best shape of my life, stronger and faster than ever at 5'11" and 190lbs.  Took the ball off the right side, and damn...nothing but green ahead.   Then something like a Mack truck hit me...from behind, felt like I had flown backwards into a brick wall.  As I tried to get breath back in my body I looked up.   Who was it that nailed me that hard?   It was another walk on, who made Jaba the Hut look fit.   He literally quivered when he walked he was so fat.  Everyone laughed at him for even coming out.  It seems I was the joke if anyone was.

It was then I realized that if that slobbish  geek looking sob could catch me, and hit me that hard from behind, I was in the wrong freakin' place.

On 11/19/2018 at 10:45 AM, Spaulding Smails said:

You really have no idea how much your athletic abilities have regressed as you age until you see it in cold, hard numbers.  I played HS baseball.  Topped out in the low 80s as a lefty.

Fast forward 20 years.  I started playing in a sandlot baseball league here in Austin.  So much fun.  Way better than softball.  And it scratched my itch to pitch again.  But way more relaxed than the competitive men's league in Austin.  I've been playing the last two summers, and my arm feels good.  Really good.  I seriously thought in my head that I was back touching 80 with my fastball (thank God I never said that to anyone else).  WRONG.  Got in front of a radar gun and struggled to hit 70.  Very humbling.  Knowing that cold hard truth,  I doubt I could throw an NCAA football 50 yds at this point in life let alone a NFL football.  Where's the Nerf Turbo when you need it???

Yeah, this is me. My mind says I could walk up an still get in the 70's on the gun, but somewhere in my subconscious there is uncontrolled laughter at my conscious brain. I'd be ok with 60s but I don't even think I'd do that.

I could throw a football 50 yards in high school to stay pertinent to the thread, and I had one of the strongest arms on the team.

On 11/25/2018 at 1:12 PM, gsoda3 said:

that's probably the problem.  barring any significant injuries to your arm or core you should be able to easily get within 10 mph of your top speed well into your late 40s.

Eh, it's not just that. A lot of your stabilizers get soft, connective tissue gets weaker, etc...

Some people can maintain various performance, see Green, Darrell, but it's really genetic. Speaking of running, I was a 4.5 in the 40 in HS and College, but I can't even get my legs to turn over fast enough to top out anymore. I'm 40 this year. I stay fit, lots of cycling and such, but it's a different world.

9 minutes ago, G650 said:

Eh, it's not just that. A lot of your stabilizers get soft, connective tissue gets weaker, etc...

yes that's true.

On 11/25/2018 at 12:25 PM, Huckleberry said:
On 11/25/2018 at 12:12 PM, gsoda3 said:
that's probably the problem.  barring any significant injuries to your arm or core you should be able to easily get within 10 mph of your top speed well into your late 40s.

Yeah, if you're throwing consistently. Not if you haven't thrown a ball in 15 years as he indicated.

he hadn't thrown a baseball in 15 years but he'd been playing softball.  doesn't matter if you're throwing a softball or a baseball, as long as you're doing it somewhat consistently it should be fine.  of course if it's one 3-month season every year over the course of 15 years that wouldn't cut it.

Since we are now talking injuries. Dislocated my shoulder diving for a ball in the outfield a couple years ago playing Mexican league baseball. Always had a decent arm from the outfield, now I can't fucking throw 3rd to 1st without pain. Didn't think I was that old yet but damn

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

yes that's true.

he hadn't thrown a baseball in 15 years but he'd been playing softball.  doesn't matter if you're throwing a softball or a baseball, as long as you're doing it somewhat consistently it should be fine.  of course if it's one 3-month season every year over the course of 15 years that wouldn't cut it.

Yeah, I hadn’t even thrown a softball for about 2-3 years before I threw for the gun, but did start back up playing co-ed right after that  

I still had a good arm (as good or better than anyone out there) before the 2-3 year break, but now, even after playing at least once a week for about the last 18 months, it’s nowhere near what it was before the layoff. The layoff started around age 35 and I started back up around age 38. Lost a lot during that time.

I also lost a lot of power at the plate during that time.  Was one of the home run hitters before the layoff and now just started hitting them again this past season. 

Getting old is a bitch....of course beer league co-ed softball is the only physical exercise I partake in these days, so not exactly trying very hard to get back to my athletic prime. 

3 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Since we are now talking injuries. Dislocated my shoulder diving for a ball in the outfield a couple years ago playing Mexican league baseball. Always had a decent arm from the outfield, now I can't fucking throw 3rd to 1st without pain. Didn't think I was that old yet but damn

Dude, I've broken my back twice, a little shoulder dislocation is a breeze.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

I did the same thing playing early spring league softball a lot 8 years ago.  Took me about 3 years to be able to throw regularly again.  I had to throw with a football a few times/week to get back to being able to throw the softball correctly.     Arm is pretty good again, but nowhere near what it was years ago.  

2 hours ago, EZ$ said:

Yeah, I hadn’t even thrown a softball for about 2-3 years before I threw for the gun, but did start back up playing co-ed right after that  

I still had a good arm (as good or better than anyone out there) before the 2-3 year break, but now, even after playing at least once a week for about the last 18 months, it’s nowhere near what it was before the layoff. The layoff started around age 35 and I started back up around age 38. Lost a lot during that time.

I also lost a lot of power at the plate during that time.  Was one of the home run hitters before the layoff and now just started hitting them again this past season. 

Getting old is a bitch....of course beer league co-ed softball is the only physical exercise I partake in these days, so not exactly trying very hard to get back to my athletic prime. 

I’m 38 as well.   I can run straight almost as fast as I could when I was younger,  i just can’t stop anymore.   I either cruise into a base or just keep going if I’m full tilt because I stopped sliding about 12 years ago. 

I can hit homeruns still, but not at will like I used to.  I normally try to rip one oppo or between pitch and 2nd base so I can trot to first 

Shit, I blew out my first shoulder showing my daughter how to do a simple 360 spin on a skateboard.  In our house.  On hardwood floors.  I remember the airborne falling sensation, the "catch", and the immense pain a moment later.  Both shoulders had been feeling achy but that aced it for one of them.  

2 knee reconstructions - one playing intramurals (brother) at IM fields at TX; other 2 seconds in to my first ever indoor season.  My old ass is still playing adult league soccer in N Dallas, though it's my back that's been giving me my recent issues.

Per above, I actually might have more velocity now than I did in HS.  I cpuld throw every pitch plus sidearm, 3 quarter, and submarine.  Problem?  I think I could hit 73 at my absolute best (with no accuracy). I was 6' 125 lbs.  I'm now 6' 205.  I do think my current weight would improve my speed a little, but I'd prob tear my rotator cuff trying.

2 knee reconstructions - one playing intramurals (brother) at IM fields at TX; other 2 seconds in to my first ever indoor season.  My old ass is still playing adult league soccer in N Dallas, though it's my back that's been giving me my recent issues.

Per above, I actually might have more velocity now than I did in HS.  I cpuld throw every pitch plus sidearm, 3 quarter, and submarine.  Problem?  I think I could hit 73 at my absolute best (with no accuracy). I was 6' 125 lbs.  I'm now 6' 205.  I do think my weight would offset my age a bit now.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Shit, I blew out my first shoulder showing my daughter how to do a simple 360 spin on a skateboard.  In our house.  On hardwood floors.  I remember the airborne falling sensation, the "catch", and the immense pain a moment later.  Both shoulders had been feeling achy but that aced it for one of them.  

I feel your pain, I know your pain. Don't hesitate on getting it checked out, delaying that can cause worse surgeries and things to become inoperable to a point.

I used to be a fair outfielder. We were f'n around at a cookout in the early 90's and I tried to throw a guy out at the plate. I heard my rotator cuff tear when I released the ball and it didn't even reach the cutoff man. I'm writhing in alcohol numbed pain and everyone is giving me shit for throwing like a girl.

10 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Not that I need to tell you, but skateboarding in the house is a dangerous game. You have to go slow (always risky in any environment) and be careful not to fuck up the floor, walls, furniture, etc. 

And I'm making assumptions here, but the bushings should be a lot softer and looser on your child's skateboard than on yours, so that's another recipe for unexpected (and disastrous) wheelbite. 

14 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Not that I need to tell you, but skateboarding in the house is a dangerous game. You have to go slow (always risky in any environment) and be careful not to fuck up the floor, walls, furniture, etc. 

And I'm making assumptions here, but the bushings should be a lot softer and looser on your child's skateboard than on yours, so that's another recipe for unexpected (and disastrous) wheelbite. 

This was a good board I had recently put together at Tekgnar (sp?) -- that old skate shop on MLK near campus.  The fault was all mine.  I got just a little back and the board shot out away from me.  Wouldn't have happened on concrete or asphalt, but on slick floors?  Forget it.  Old man on his ass, holding back tears, daughter laughing.  Age reveals itself in funny ways.

So, I decided to put my arm to the test over Thanksgiving weekend.  Went to the local HS a few miles from my parents' house.  Hopped the fence with my son and we threw the ball around.  43 yards was the best I could muster.  With a college ball.  Also, 43 yards looks like nothing when watching on TV but feels like the deck of an aircraft carrier when you're at ground level trying to heave a ball.

• Like 1

We did this competition at my brothers house with a bunch of friends during a draft party about 8-10 years ago (me then 28-30).  I threw it 62 yards but my older brother (38-40 then) got 67 yards for the farthest.  I think I’d have around 45 yards left in me today.

Edited by Hook1997

5 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

We did this competition at my brothers house with a bunch of friends during a draft party about 8-10 years ago (me then 28-30).  I threw it 62 yards but my older brother (38-40 then) got 67 yards for the farthest.  I think I’d have around 45 yards left in me today.

Nobody believes this

• Like 3

10 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

I strongly suggest and would work to help coordinate a surly athletibong thong song competition. Got dayum that would be amazingly funny.

Surly, kegs, an open field, some strippers, a band and weed with preset challenges. No pics allowed. 

Got dayum I'd pay to volunteer and keep scores.

Cannot partake of the devil’s lettuce.  Can I double up on booze?

On 12/3/2018 at 11:38 PM, BurntEyes said:

I strongly suggest and would work to help coordinate a surly athletibong thong song competition. Got dayum that would be amazingly funny.

Surly, kegs, an open field, some strippers, a band and weed with preset challenges. No pics allowed. 

Got dayum I'd pay to volunteer and keep scores.

This needs to be a thing. Anyone have a portable 8 foot basketball goal for the Derka dunk-off?

• Like 1

I think I would struggle with an NFL ball because I have pretty small hands compared to my frame. I think I could get an NCAA ball 5-10 yards further just based on that. I feel like a lot of the difficulty comes from being able to grip the ball properly to give it a nice spiral. 

But yeah - anyone that claims anything over 35 yards is probably full of shit unless documented. 

On 11/25/2018 at 12:23 PM, Huckleberry said:

Yes, throwing velocity falls off a cliff when you stop playing and it's genuinely shocking when you find a radar gun years later. It's almost certainly because we really don't use those muscles for anything in day to day life so they just completely atrophy. I have similar stories, although I topped out a little lower in high school in the very low 80s.

The "good" news is that it comes back pretty quickly if you start consistently throwing again. Not nearly as fast, of course, but not embarrassingly slow. Just from being the BP thrower for my son's team for a couple of seasons I got some back and I'm obviously not even throwing hard at 10 and 11 year old kids. I maxed a gun out at 81 in high school, was only at 72 just 5 years later in the supposed physical prime of 22-23 years old, and was a humiliating low 60s thrower about a year ago at 40 years old. I've gotten some into the upper 60s recently so now I'm really cooking with gas. Ha.

Point is that I'm pretty sure throwing speed drops more quickly and further than any other single physical skill just because throwing is the only thing those muscles are worked hard to do. Legs walk, run, and carry your weight around all the time. Nothing we do in real life uses our throwing muscles.

I'm 23 and out of shape and don't ball as much as I used to and whenever I get a good shooting session in now the inside of my right elbow is plenty sore in the morning. 

It isn't just age lol. There are a lot of fine muscle groups that you just don't work that much unless doing something really specific like shooting, throwing a baseball, throwing a football etc. 

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I think I would struggle with an NFL ball because I have pretty small hands compared to my frame. I think I could get an NCAA ball 5-10 yards further just based on that. I feel like a lot of the difficulty comes from being able to grip the ball properly to give it a nice spiral. 

But yeah - anyone that claims anything over 35 yards is probably full of shit unless documented. 

...must not pick low hanging small hands fruit...... dammit.

1 minute ago, SHOOTER12 said:

...must not pick low hanging small hands fruit...... dammit.

Frankly I'm disappointed. You should have taken your time to come up with a good one. 

That said - it has it's advantages. Especially with pretty long arms. Makes working on anything that requires fine motor skills a bit easier. 

Me and my dad were cursed with the same shit while meanwhile my granddad has some bear claws. We both think we got hosed. 

I've dunked a real basketball, so I have that going for me at least. 

• Like 1