The Alienist

Tried to binge last night on AT&T's shitty On Demand platform, but the picture was dark and not formatted for my tv. 

I was intrigued from the beginning by the main characters.  I'll have to give this a go on the TNT app.

2 hours ago, Felix said:

I loved it.  I think it's a stand alone.  I don't think they're doing any more seasons.  It's based on a novel and I don' t believe there are any squeals.

There are two more books, although I have not heard if they will do any more. 

Let one thing be clear. I would munch Dakota Fanning’s fanny for weeks on end, and also pee in her butt. 

5 hours ago, Felix said:

I loved it.  I think it's a stand alone.  I don't think they're doing any more seasons.  It's based on a novel and I don' t believe there are any squeals.

It was promoted as a limited series, so I assumed it was a one shot deal.  The final episode was a little bit of a let down with the tying up of loose ends and all, but overall I thought the series as a whole was pretty good.

On 3/28/2018 at 3:04 PM, Felix said:

Shit, in that case I'd love to see another season.  That time period is fascinating to me.

Yeah I started watching based on this thread and that I enjoyed the books years ago.  Very picturesque period, adds a lot to the show, and to The Knick, for example.

I don't have a problem with the portrayal of a young Teddy.  He's lost a mayoral election, had yet to be a Rough Rider, lost his ass in the West.  I don't pretend to be an authority on Roosevelt, but I don't think he had attained his bully pulpit status at that age.  Also, although he had shown signs of being a maverick outside NYC, the show portrays him as bumping up against larger forces in the form of ward heeler and blue blood elements that controlled a lot of the workings of the city, which I think is accurate.

Edited by TwiceHorn

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah I started watching based on this thread and that I enjoyed the books years ago.  Very picturesque period, adds a lot to the show, and to The Knick, for example.

I don't have a problem with the portrayal of a young Teddy.  He's lost a mayoral election, had yet to be a Rough Rider, lost his ass in the West.  I don't pretend to be an authority on Roosevelt, but I don't think he had attained his bully pulpit status at that age.  Also, although he had shown signs of being a maverick outside NYC, the show portrays him as bumping up against larger forces in the form of ward heeler and blue blood elements that controlled a lot of the workings of the city, which I think is accurate.

Sean Astin was originally slated to portray Roosevelt and had even done some pre-production but scheduling difficulties with Stranger Things got in the way and they had to replace him with Geraghty rather late in the process.  Apparently, getting this story adapted was quite the challenge and took a number of attempts.

33 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

He wasn't at the bully pulpit stage yet, but he was never one to back down the way this character did multiple times.  He was just portrayed as weaker than I think he really was.  Whatever, it wasn't essential to the story.  Good stuff overall.

On 4/3/2018 at 11:26 PM, Patrick Bateman said:

Sean Astin was originally slated to portray Roosevelt and had even done some pre-production but scheduling difficulties with Stranger Things got in the way and they had to replace him with Geraghty rather late in the process.  Apparently, getting this story adapted was quite the challenge and took a number of attempts.

Interesting. The moostache kind of makes the character, I guess, appearance - wise. I like Astin, but can't really picture him in the role. Guess I couldn't have pictured Geraghty, either, and I like him too. 

• 2 years later...

Season 2 debuts tonight at 8.  It's apparently based on the sequel novel.

I'm actually in the middle of Season 1 right now after having recently read the first book.

Edited by WBT

The first season was great. I loved the book and was excited when they created the series on it. Extremely well done. I’ve got the second book but never got into it like I did the first one. I watched the first 2 episodes and it’s good so far. The website to the series gives information showing locations today compared to the 1890 time period. It’s also well done. 

Edited by Brandywine