Time to Talk Dressing

NeverMarryAStripper

My mom taught me how to make dressing. Her family has been in Texas forever so of course it’s cornbread dressing.

Start with the stock. No store bought shit, but stock made with turkey offals
2effcfbb3c1a6fe86aa9dd98a44b4ac1.jpg
Boil that stuff up into a nice stock, strain, and use the offals for your goblet gravy.
Next is the cornbread, from scratch of course. I was taught to use twice as many eggs in my cornbread for dressing as I normally would. I like to make it a day or two ahead so it’s just a little bit stale.
5bc7a257e8dd8efefae0341f71ce8fb5.jpg
Next is the stale white bread. I like to dry it out real good in a warm oven and then let it sit a few days to get stale.
dd05e70497b7c228891fe1262f0fe602.jpg

Mix crumbled up cornbread to crumbled up white bread in a two to one ratio.
efe252fc4e7629f4fe1d5c5c7d669959.jpg
Sauté green and white onions and celery in butter.
f0ea76eddbcf037b03be0985d950281d.jpg
Add it to your bread mixture and season with salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, and sage.
9d5502eff782431e725782454668d084.jpg
Add your stock to get it nice and moist and some beaten eggs to give it a nice consistency.
9d29eef7b4ba879c5c733e6ce4a34220.jpg
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Mix crumbled up cornbread to crumbled up white bread in a two to one ratio.
efe252fc4e7629f4fe1d5c5c7d669959.jpg
Sauté green and white onions and celery in butter.
f0ea76eddbcf037b03be0985d950281d.jpg
Add it to your bread mixture and season with salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, and sage.
9d5502eff782431e725782454668d084.jpg
Add your stock to get it nice and moist and some beaten eggs to give it a nice consistency.
9d29eef7b4ba879c5c733e6ce4a34220.jpg
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

Looks exactly like the one we make.  Needs a little more liquid before you bake.  You'll thank me later.

If you say any different, my mom, grandmother, and great grandmother will cut you.

When they do cut me, I will bleed grease, because my dressing has lots of crumbled sausage in it, which is what makes it better. If you really want to get whack, form your wet dressing mix into balls and fry them for a few minutes in the deep fryer after you take the turkey out.

Of course the best dressing comes out of the inside of the Turkey. I usually stuff as much as I can in there and bake the rest. This batch was for my daughter’s thanksgiving school feast and I only made the dressing so none was stuffed into the turkey
6f54226964a3ecb406124a610c56a47f.jpg

This is the best dressing in the world. If you say any different, my mom, grandmother, and great grandmother will cut you.

This is very close to my late mother-in-law's recipe with one difference...instead of the stale white bread, we use KFC biscuits that have been bought some time before and frozen, thawed back out the night before.  She swore up and down the KFC biscuits made all the difference.

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Of course the best dressing comes out of the inside of the Turkey. I usually stuff as much as I can in there and bake the rest. This batch was for my daughter’s thanksgiving school feast and I only made the dressing so none was stuffed into the turkey

If you're stuffing your bird with stuffing, you have to overcook your bird to kill off potential salmonella that seeped into the stuffing. Instead, cook your turkey first and drizzle some of the drippings into the stuffing before baking.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, irishtexan said:

If you're stuffing your bird with stuffing, you have to overcook your bird to kill off potential salmonella that seeped into the stuffing. Instead, cook your turkey first and drizzle some of the drippings into the stuffing before baking.

Turkey bag is a game changer.

Everything including stuffing gets hot as fuck(cooked) without the oitside getting dry.  Yet you still get golden brown exterior 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Turkey bag is a game changer.

Everything including stuffing gets hot as fuck(cooked) without the oitside getting dry.  Yet you still get golden brown exterior 

I'm not trying to be a pedantic ass here, and I'm sure your turkey turns out wonderfully, but the bag doesn't turn an oven into a microwave. You're not cooking inside out. In order to heat the stuffing to 165 degrees, you will inevitably heat the turkey meat to 175+. The bag basically acts as a steamer, which is why turkeys cooked in bags are moist. I prefer meat to be dry roasted instead of steamed. To each his own. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I'm not trying to be a pedantic ass here, and I'm sure your turkey turns out wonderfully, but the bag doesn't turn an oven into a microwave. You're not cooking inside out. In order to heat the stuffing to 165 degrees, you will inevitably heat the turkey meat to 175+. The bag basically acts as a steamer, which is why turkeys cooked in bags are moist. I prefer meat to be dry roasted instead of steamed. To each his own. 

fair enough.

165 is the instant death temp. Die off starts well before that. Salmonella doesn't survive more than 15 minutes at 145, or more than 5 minutes at 155. Time-temp is the whole reason sous vide cooking is safe from a bacterial standpoint (mmm plastics).

On 11/15/2018 at 2:02 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

6f54226964a3ecb406124a610c56a47f.jpg

This is the best dressing in the world. If you say any different, my mom, grandmother, and great grandmother will cut you.

man, bullshit on that.

that's the basic, but yours is the equivalent of baby formula.

after all you mentioned (and doubling the recipe), my mom...now the family...adds a whole smoked pork roast (plus the drippings), a whole smoked chicken (again, plus the drippings,l homemade wild pork andouille and 2 pints of Savoie's Dirty Rice Mix.  we top it off with homemade goose liver and goose giblet gravy.

step up your game, and tell your Aunt Bea or your grandma or whoever fucking hen roams your halls to go ahead bring her gotdamn knife to my gun fight.  

Edited by Kyrie Eleison
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Did somebody say dressing?

1) In butter, sautee mustard seeds, cominos, a couple of japs, two poblanos, two red bells, an onion, a head of garlic, some celery, rosemary, thyme, and sage: Maybe some chipotle in adobo sauce.

2) Add some creamed corn, frozen corn, and goat cheese.

3) Mix in with some stale cornbread and crushed tostadas, and mix lightly because you don't want to overly break up the cornbread.

4) Add stock and mix until it achieves your preferred level of gloppiness

5) Add cut up tamale pieces - I strongly prefer pork tamales from HEB because they are dense enough to hold together. 

6) Cover, bake for 45 mins at 325.

7) "Pour one jigger absinthe into a Champagne glass. Add iced Champagne until it attains the proper opalescent milkiness. Drink three to five of these slowly"  - Ernest Hemingway cocktail recipe, Death in the Afternoon

7) Uncover! Bake for another 20 mins at 400

8. Cover it back up, refrigerate overnight. Reheat at 350, covered, for 50 mins, and uncovered for 425 for 15.

Stuff
M4tQ0lX.jpg

Cut up the veggies and mix with some adobo sauce
DyAsP7B.jpg

Melt butter and get it going 
bJIKV06.jpg
PGfmF7J.jpg

Meanwhile crumble up cornbread and mix with herbs, seasonings etc
tZ36S6D.jpg

Then mix in the vegetables and butter
tZ36S6D.jpg

Cut these up like so
0coFXoe.jpg
QW6uD0M.jpg

Now add stock to the mix and make glop to your desired consistency
Lqk1AiY.jpg

AFTER that, fold in the Tamale chunks gently so as to not break them up, transfer to a heavily buttered or greased casserole dish (no pics), cook and 

Business time
CWU6aZ9.jpg

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

man, bullshit on that.
after all you mentioned (and doubling the recipe), my mom...now the family...adds a whole smoked pork roast (plus the drippings), a whole smoked chicken (again, plus the drippings,l homemade wild pork andouille and 2 pints of Savoie's Dirty Rice Mix.  we top it off with homemade goose liver and goose giblet gravy.
step up your game, and tell your Aunt Bea or your grandma or whoever fucking hen roams your halls to go ahead bring her gotdamn knife to my gun fight.  

The purpose of dressing is to provide a tasty side dish to complement the main course, not over power it. Kind of like a fine wine. You sir, are a philistine. And for your information, my granny was still stalking and killing deer until she was 94. She had plenty of guns to bring to the fight, and she was a dead shot.
  • Like 4

Your picture shows a can of whole kernel corn and a bag of frozen whole kernel corn but no cream corn. Also, do you not make your stick and cornbread from scratch? Asking for a friend who may want to try this.

I just used the wrong canned corn when I composed the pic. I used to make the cornbread, but if I’m short on time I just use store bought from H-E-B. The main thing is that it should be stale at 3-4 days old for optimal texture.

7 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

man, bullshit on that.

Your recipe may include @Brisketexan ejaculate when he reads that post.

6 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

1) In butter, sautee mustard seeds, cominos, a couple of japs, two poblanos, two red bells, an onion, a head of garlic, some celery, rosemary, thyme, and sage: Maybe some chipotle in adobo sauce.
?

? 3) Mix in with some stale cornbread and crushed tostadas, and mix lightly because you don't want to overly break up the cornbread.

5) Add cut up tamale pieces - I strongly prefer pork tamales from HEB because they are dense enough to hold together. 

7) "Pour one jigger absinthe into a Champagne glass?. Add iced Champagne until it attains the proper opalescent milkiness. Drink three to five of these slowly"  - Ernest Hemingway cocktail recipe, Death in the Afternoo?n
??
?7) Uncover! Bake for another 20 mins at 400
?  

8. Cover it back up, refrigerate overnight. Reheat at 350, covered, for 50 mins, and uncovered for 425 for 15.
?
Stuff

imgur
?

imgur

imgur

imgur

imgur

imgur

???
Cut these up like so
imgur

imgur

imgur

AFTER that, fold in the Tamale chunks gently so as to not break them up, transfer to a heavily buttered or greased casserole dish (no pics), cook and 

Business time
imgur

your fucking pictures suck ass. 

On 11/16/2018 at 4:35 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

3) Mix in with some stale cornbread and crushed tostadas, and mix lightly because you don't want to overly break up the cornbread.

7) "Pour one jigger absinthe into a Champagne glass. Add iced Champagne until it attains the proper opalescent milkiness. Drink three to five of these slowly"  - Ernest Hemingway cocktail recipe, Death in the Afternoon

7) Uncover! Bake for another 20 mins at 400

Stuff

imgur

imgur

imgur

imgur

imgur

imgur

Cut these up like so
imgur

imgur

imgur

Business time
imgur

TPIWWOP

Very similar to my grandmother's (and now my mother's) recipe, but for 1 part day old biscuits in addition to the stale bread and cornbread.  Making the biscuits and cornbread for it now.  My first year to make it.

Edited by dcbc

absolutely this...equal to the meat course.

You’re gotdamn right.

And those of y’all shitting on oyster dressing best step the fuck OFF.

My mother is a NOLA native daughter of a long NOLA line. Her oyster dressing has been on our table at tgiving my whole life.

And one of the best things in the world is that Holiday duck/goose hunt on the Friday or Saturday after. A chunk of cold oyster dressing with your coffee for breakfast in the truck, predawn on the way to the hunt...well, that’s the fuckin’ good stuff, that’s what that is.
  • Like 1

yeah...ima fan of oyster dressing as well. witness this...

Ruth Fertel's Plaquemines Parish Oyster Dressing
Prep Time: 1½ Hours
Yields: 15-20 Servings

Comment:

This recipe is from the famous founder of Ruth's Chris Steak House, Ruth Fertel. Her son Randy shared it with us on the occasion of a tribute dinner held in her honor.

Ingredients:

1 gallon oysters with liquid
¼ pound butter
1 pound smoked sausage, minced
1 pound hot sausage, minced
3 cups diced onions
2 cups diced celery
1 cup diced green bell peppers
1 cup diced red bell peppers
¼ cup minced garlic
12 chicken bouillon cubes
3 (2½ foot long) loaves stale French bread
salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes to taste
1 dozen eggs, whipped
1 pound melted butter

Method:

Pour oysters into a large pan, reserving liquid, and go through them 1 at a time, removing any partial shells that remain. Heat oysters in liquid until edges curl. Drain oysters, save liquid and set aside. When oysters are cool to touch, chop coarsely and set aside. In a large Dutch oven, heat ¼ pound butter over medium-high heat. Sauté sausages until oil is rendered. Add onions, celery, bell peppers and garlic. Sauté 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are wilted. Add chopped oysters, oyster liquid and bouillon cubes. Bring to a rolling boil, reduce to simmer and cook 5 minutes. Season with salt and peppers. Preheat oven to 350°F. Chop stale French bread into 1-inch cubes, and add bread into oyster mixture, 2 cups at a time, until enough bread has been added to absorb liquid but mixture is still moist. Remove from heat and add eggs and remaining melted butter, blending well into mixture. Pour into a large baking pan. Cover with aluminum foil and bake 1 hour. Remove foil and brown for about 15 minutes.

man, bullshit on that.

You best not be talking that talk without walking the walk. We need pics and detailed instructions.

Yeah, we don’t do eggs, and we use on sausage instead of link. Also, we don’t cook the oysters beforehand. They cook in the dressing. But that’s kinda similar to ours.

It’s all about using all that oyster liquor as part of your liquid/stock.

i wouldn’t add the bread while the liquid was still hot...it’ll release too much gluten and become gummy.
  • Like 1