Cajun

South Austin

• 3 weeks later...

Had dinner with the wife at Mouton's Bistro last night.  I was pleasantly surprised, but you're driving to Leanderpark to eat at one.

It WAS filled with hipster douches (oxymoron in the middle of suburbia I would have thought) playing trivia that kept yelling "Balls" after the host would say "Sports" as a category, because you know...being too cool for sports is a thing now.

1 hour ago, VolenteHawk said:

Had dinner with the wife at Mouton's Bistro last night.  I was pleasantly surprised, but you're driving to Leanderpark to eat at one.

It WAS filled with hipster douches (oxymoron in the middle of suburbia I would have thought) playing trivia that kept yelling "Balls" after the host would say "Sports" as a category, because you know...being too cool for sports is a thing now.

Which one did you go to, the "new" one in CP, or the original one in Leander?

I'd heard the one in Leander was really good, so was excited to try the one in CP when it opened.  I was pretty disappointed in it, but it was fairly early on, maybe a month or two after opening...

On 12/13/2018 at 1:31 PM, utee94 said:

Which one did you go to, the "new" one in CP, or the original one in Leander?

I'd heard the one in Leander was really good, so was excited to try the one in CP when it opened.  I was pretty disappointed in it, but it was fairly early on, maybe a month or two after opening...

CP. Have not tried Leander one. That’s pretty far out even for me.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Original New Orleans Po-boy and Gumbo Shop on east Cesar Chavez is solid.  Owned by a former mardi gras indian (his suit was on display last time I went) , used to be a trailer across cboys on s congress, then was a divey place on east 1st?, now a dive on east Cesar.  Always been solid food and crazy during Mardi Gras time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Is Nubian Queen Lola’s Kitchen still around? That place wa the truth.

I can’t go back  due to a CPS case (weird story, I’m probably in the clear this many years out but don’t want to get shot or poisoned in retribution even though I had nothing to do with the outcome), but that was hands down the best Cajun food in Austin.

EDIT: I searched, and the Austin shop closed, but she’s serving food out of a gas station in Taylor (or was 2 months ago): https://www.kxan.com/amp/news/local/austin/east-austins-nubian-queen-lolas-restaurant-finds-new-home-in-taylor_20180312075234715/1031469044

On 2/19/2019 at 12:31 PM, Bigpoppapump said:

The Original New Orleans Po-boy and Gumbo Shop on east Cesar Chavez is solid.  Owned by a former mardi gras indian (his suit was on display last time I went) , used to be a trailer across cboys on s congress, then was a divey place on east 1st?, now a dive on east Cesar.  Always been solid food and crazy during Mardi Gras time.

FYI: It's a dive on E 12th now

Original New Orleans Po Boy and Gumbo Shop

On 11/15/2018 at 4:16 PM, jimmyjazz said:

It lacks the funk of a true New Orleans joint (or at least the ones I've been to), but I have never had a bad meal at French Quarter Grille (NW corner of Parmer & I35).  

Went there for the first time this past week. It isn't mind-blowing or anything but it is solid. The portions are quite big too - potential to get two meals out of it if your dish isn't too seafood heavy. Given the relative lack of options in Austin, I'll probably be back.

Edited by gmr548

On 11/15/2018 at 4:16 PM, jimmyjazz said:

It lacks the funk of a true New Orleans joint (or at least the ones I've been to), but I have never had a bad meal at French Quarter Grille (NW corner of Parmer & I35).  

I really like their gumbo, nice dark rue.  Everything else I’ve had has been good also.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The Cajun trailer at the food mart at 45th and Burnet is legit. 

IMG_0699.thumb.jpeg.cd88a155d49030d6b66249b185c73e0b.jpeg

I think it is officially called Everything New Orleans, but I prefer their trailer spelling of “ERR-THING NEW-AH-LINS”

https://everything-new-orleans.square.site/#14

I’ve had the PoBoys (huge, big enough to share for sure), gumbo, cornbread, cabbage, etc. And everything has been good to great. 

Today is cold, so I am trying the Yakamein:

IMG_0696.thumb.jpeg.06599bcd87f2d633e5c1be809e1b5bf4.jpeg

IMG_0697.thumb.jpeg.db6cf60a9f2121969ca131b16a605f84.jpeg

It is fantastic. Not too salty and huge chunks of beef. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 1/12/2024 at 12:06 PM, hornian said:

The Cajun trailer at the food mart at 45th and Burnet is legit. 

IMG_0699.thumb.jpeg.cd88a155d49030d6b66249b185c73e0b.jpeg

I think it is officially called Everything New Orleans, but I prefer their trailer spelling of “ERR-THING NEW-AH-LINS”

https://everything-new-orleans.square.site/#14

I’ve had the PoBoys (huge, big enough to share for sure), gumbo, cornbread, cabbage, etc. And everything has been good to great. 

Today is cold, so I am trying the Yakamein:

IMG_0696.thumb.jpeg.06599bcd87f2d633e5c1be809e1b5bf4.jpeg

IMG_0697.thumb.jpeg.db6cf60a9f2121969ca131b16a605f84.jpeg

It is fantastic. Not too salty and huge chunks of beef. 

I made yakamein for the first time this weekend. It was pretty damn good. I had never even heard of it before last week. 

• 1 month later...

So this AM I’m laying in bed checking out Surly and reading about poison freshwater fish and suddenly I decide that I’m having fried catfish for lunch. So, I think to myself, I haven’t been to Hoovers in like a decade, I’m going to sit at the bar up there and eat catfish. I told my family that I’m having solo lunch and drove thru the 173 stop lights between Tarrytown and Hoovers, only to find that it ain’t the same at all. Bar was non-existent, it was really dark inside and there was nobody there except 2 employees. Poor guy said they never recovered from Covid. 

I like Shoal ok, I mean, I go there quite a bit, but not really for quality of food. Mostly just because Reagan will comp me a beer or 2 and I can always get down with the garlic shrimp. My question is, where does one destroy a basket of fried fish with hush puppies?

20 hours ago, Gucci_Suit said:

So this AM I’m laying in bed checking out Surly and reading about poison freshwater fish and suddenly I decide that I’m having fried catfish for lunch. So, I think to myself, I haven’t been to Hoovers in like a decade, I’m going to sit at the bar up there and eat catfish. I told my family that I’m having solo lunch and drove thru the 173 stop lights between Tarrytown and Hoovers, only to find that it ain’t the same at all. Bar was non-existent, it was really dark inside and there was nobody there except 2 employees. Poor guy said they never recovered from Covid. 

I like Shoal ok, I mean, I go there quite a bit, but not really for quality of food. Mostly just because Reagan will comp me a beer or 2 and I can always get down with the garlic shrimp. My question is, where does one destroy a basket of fried fish with hush puppies?

Catfish Parlor down on 71?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, hornian said:

Catfish Parlor down on 71?

I’ve pass that joint on the way to the airport a lot. You been?

The other place that occurs to me is Deckhand. I go there 1x a quarter or so- but not for Cajun. They have absolute dynamite green curry. 

Posted (edited)
On 3/2/2024 at 1:13 PM, Gucci_Suit said:

My question is, where does one destroy a basket of fried fish with hush puppies?

It's not what you asked for, but Evangeline shows a couple of catfish entrees on their menu.  No idea if they're any good or not.

French Quarter Grill also has catfish, but none appear to be fried.

So, I'm no help.

Edited by jimmyjazz

It's not what you asked for, but Evangeline shows a couple of catfish entrees on their menu.  No idea if they're any good or not.
French Quarter Grill also has catfish, but none appear to be fried.
So, I'm no help.

Speedy’s catfish at Evangeline’s is legit.

7 hours ago, Gucci_Suit said:

I’ve pass that joint on the way to the airport a lot. You been?

I went to the one up north a bunch of times before it closed, but never the south. Assuming it’s the same, it’s worth a stop. 

On 3/2/2024 at 1:13 PM, Gucci_Suit said:

Mr. Catfish

On 3/3/2024 at 8:26 PM, hornian said:

I went to the one up north a bunch of times before it closed, but never the south. Assuming it’s the same, it’s worth a stop. 

It's good, as always, but they changed their serving methods after Covid.  You have to order at your table, off the menu now.

Cherry Creek Catfish is also very good, for catfish @ztejas already mentioned.