Les Miles the next Head Coach at Kansas

Vic Mackey

Seems the guy at KS in charge of vetting kinda fooked up.

Former LSU and current Kansas football coach Les Miles is accused of texting female students, taking them to his condo alone, making them feel uncomfortable and, on at least one occasion, kissing a student, an internal investigative report released by LSU says, .according to USA Today.

https://247sports.com/Article/Les-Miles-sexual-harassment-investigation-specific-accusations-emerge-kissing-students-LSU-Football-Kansas-Jayhawks-161856904/

Let ‘er rip!

19 hours ago, Parliament said:

Seems the guy at KS in charge of vetting kinda fooked up.

Former LSU and current Kansas football coach Les Miles is accused of texting female students, taking them to his condo alone, making them feel uncomfortable and, on at least one occasion, kissing a student, an internal investigative report released by LSU says, .according to USA Today.

https://247sports.com/Article/Les-Miles-sexual-harassment-investigation-specific-accusations-emerge-kissing-students-LSU-Football-Kansas-Jayhawks-161856904/

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

It seems more like the dipshit Admin at KU failed to do their due diligence when the hired Les. It's not like the data weren't there, they just didn't duly diligize.

If I were Les, I'd be looking for some lawyers to sue KU over this, unless there's verbiage in the contract that allows firing for cause based on pre-employment behavior that was not hidden. I'm not following this closely, but unless Miles has been doing the same sort of stuff... there may be a play there, but I don't know. Where the employment contract lawyers at?

20 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

It seems more like the dipshit Admin at KU failed to do their due diligence when the hired Les. It's not like the data weren't there, they just didn't duly diligize.

If I were Les, I'd be looking for some lawyers to sue KU over this, unless there's verbiage in the contract that allows firing for cause based on pre-employment behavior that was not hidden. I'm not following this closely, but unless Miles has been doing the same sort of stuff... there may be a play there, but I don't know. Where the employment contract lawyers at?

I wouldn’t jump to that yet. I would be unsurprised if part of the deal when Les left LSU was that unofficially, this stuff stayed buried.  If he leaves and you start telling people that he was a creep who was barred from interacting with college students, then the question becomes “why didn’t you fire him for cause or officially discipline him?”

Remember, this was blown open because of Guice and the stuff with Jade Lewis. That happened after Miles was gone and LSU had to let investigators sniff around the whole school. 

3 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I wouldn’t jump to that yet. I would be unsurprised if part of the deal when Les left LSU was that unofficially, this stuff stayed buried.  If he leaves and you start telling people that he was a creep who was barred from interacting with college students, then the question becomes “why didn’t you fire him for cause or officially discipline him?”

Remember, this was blown open because of Guice and the stuff with Jade Lewis. That happened after Miles was gone and LSU had to let investigators sniff around the whole school. 

Yes, but does that excuse KU from doing the due?

2 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Yes, but does that excuse KU from doing the due?

I mean, if they called down to LSU and asked about his conduct while there and no one there told them.....just gave him great references....

The AD clime have honestly said “Les never was subject to official discipline” and is eligible for rehire. Cause it seems as if all this stuff was off the books. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide

15 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I mean, if they called down to LSU and asked about his conduct while there and no one there told them.....just gave him great references....

The AD clime have honestly said “Les never was subject to official discipline” and is eligible for rehire. Cause it seems as if all this stuff was off the books. their 

Clime? Ooookay.  

So, the appropriate position is that KU did their due, but LSU lied to them, so it's alright to terminate Les without paying off? Why would LSU lie to KU? Is the lie an exchange for Les "accepting"  $1.5meg instead of $9meg? 'Cause I could see that, if it were at the same time the job in Lawrence was in the works.

Edited by Tex Long
bad fucking typing

4 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Clime? Ooookay.  

So, the appropriate position is that KU did their due, but LSU lied to them, so it's alright to terminate Les without paying off? Why would LSU lie to KU? Is the lie an exchange for Les "accepting"  $1.5meg instead of $9meg? 'Cause I could see that, if it were at the same time the job in Lawrence was in the works.

Fat fingered my iPhone. *Could*

LSU has every reason to keep it quiet if they think Les is gone. The fact is that any other employee who worked at, you know, a college, would have been fired if his conduct was such that he was banned from interacting with female students.  If you pass that tidbit along to KU, and it gets out, then all of a sudden the question is “why wasn’t he officially disciplined at LSU? Why was he still there?”

7 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The AD clime have honestly said “Les never was subject to official discipline” and is eligible for rehire. Cause it seems as if all this stuff was off the books. 

You and a few other posters have raised some legit points. Working for a college, I can tell you that if I let one of my subordinates go, and another company calls to ask about that subordinate, I'm very limited in what I can say. If I give a bad reference, I open the college up to the possibility of a lawsuit if that bad reference results in the former subordinate not getting the job. 

High profile jobs like coaching may be different, but the only time I can talk about a former employee or student is if they put me down as a personal reference. Anything else gets referred to human resources for employees, and all they'll do is give dates of hire and separation, job description, and they can reveal if someone was fired for cause. If they weren't fired for cause, you open up a helluva can of worms if you start saying, "well, there were rumors he was hitting on female students."

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

You and a few other posters have raised some legit points. Working for a college, I can tell you that if I let one of my subordinates go, and another company calls to ask about that subordinate, I'm very limited in what I can say. If I give a bad reference, I open the college up to the possibility of a lawsuit if that bad reference results in the former subordinate not getting the job. 

High profile jobs like coaching may be different, but the only time I can talk about a former employee or student is if they put me down as a personal reference. Anything else gets referred to human resources for employees, and all they'll do is give dates of hire and separation, job description, and they can reveal if someone was fired for cause. If they weren't fired for cause, you open up a helluva can of worms if you start saying, "well, there were rumors he was hitting on female students."

Yep.  I have worked in HR for a large organization (not my favorite gig).  You are EXTREMELY limited in whatever you say, and if it’s not backed up by paper......You say nothing.  You’re itching for a lawsuit. 

“So, you told my client’s potential employer that he engaged in sexual misconduct while in your institution’s employ. Can you please show us where that’s documented and how your institution disciplined him?”

My take is that this is all on LSU. If anything, KU might have a case against them, but sovereign immunity. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Bartles said:

Due diligence in this high profile a situation means way more than just having some calls with LSU administrators.. Long was in the SEC for years. Word should have gotten to him about Miles' reputation, and quite likely did.

It’s a high profile situation, but all these people are still government employees and there’s still a limit to what HR is allowed to do and ask about.  And if the crux of Miles’ argument is “Long should have heard through the grapevine that I was a bit creepy” then a suit is going nowhere.  Due diligence is just what a reasonable person is expected to do, and even for a football coach, a reasonable person would call and talk to prior employers about Miles’ tenure there. It would be different if there had been media reports or something. 

Do I think Long likely had “heard things”. Yeah, but when this is all done, it’s LSU that failed to properly follow up on a harassment allegation. And they, unlike KU, LSU had not just a “reasonable person” duty but an actual legal duty to follow up and do a formal investigation of those allegations and they didn’t.  In government, a sexual harassment or misconduct allegation triggers an immediate formal inquiry. 

Edit: Seems like a Baton Rouge law firm did investigate some of the stuff in 2013 but not all.

Edited by 956 Worldwide

Also would add that even the investigation that LSU did do into Miles was....nonstandard is the best way to put it. And even in 2103, they had to know that this was not acceptable when it comes to harassment at a government institution. 

Again, there was no file of this matter at the University. Instead, the report regarding the investigation was intentionally stored offsite at LSU’s outside counsel’s office and with Miles’ attorneys.

27 minutes ago, Bartles said:

Due diligence in this high profile a situation means way more than just having some calls with LSU administrators.. Long was in the SEC for years. Word should have gotten to him about Miles' reputation, and quite likely did.

11 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

It’s a high profile situation, but all these people are still government employees and there’s still a limit to what HR is allowed to do and ask about.  And if the crux of Miles’ argument is “Long should have heard through the grapevine that I was a bit creepy” then a suit is going nowhere.  Due diligence is just what a reasonable person is expected to do, and even for a football coach, a reasonable person would call and talk to prior employers about Miles’ tenure there. It would be different if there had been media reports or something. 

Do I think Long likely had “heard things”. Yeah, but when this is all done, it’s LSU that failed to properly follow up on a harassment allegation. And they, unlike KU, LSU had not just a “reasonable person” duty but an actual legal duty to follow up and do a formal investigation of those allegations and they didn’t.  In government, a sexual harassment or misconduct allegation triggers an immediate formal inquiry. 

Edit: Seems like a Baton Rouge law firm did investigate some of the stuff in 2013 but not all.

Let me open up this one by asking, "When was the last time Kansas made a GOOD decision in hiring a football coach?"

Right now, KU is probably one of the least desirable P5 coaching positions. 

Here's where desperate people do desperate things, and college revenue sports, specifically men's football and basketball, are some of the dirtiest institutions around. If someone can generate wins on the field or the court, schools will do back flips to maintain plausible deniability about misconduct. I'd put the over/under at about 30% of P5 colleges that have run prostitution rings out of the athletic department for recruiting purposes. 

Prior to Kansas, Miles had coached 16 years, been to 15 bowl games, and had won a national championship. He should have been gold when he left LSU, but he didn't coach for two years, and took less than the contract required on his buyout from LSU. Absolutely agree there were rumors out there about him or somebody would have jumped on him immediately. 

So LSU attempted to avoid a scandal by separating from Miles in as low profile a method as possible, which meant instead of firing for cause, they pretended a 2-2 start to a season was enough to let him go. 

Kansas thought they could grab a national championship coach on the cheap, and there probably wouldn't be any blowback, cause the LSU stuff hadn't hit the press, and it had been two years. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1