Les Miles the next Head Coach at Kansas

Vic Mackey

41 minutes ago, NBMisha said:

All this love.  Previously he was universally regarded as an idoit.  Kansas is a good match.

Based on the prestige, talent, and opportunity at LSU, they could do much better than Miles.

Based on the prestige, talent, and opportunity at Kansas, this is a slam fucking dunk hire. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Based on the prestige, talent, and opportunity at LSU, they could do much better than Miles.

But they really haven’t, which is the funny thing.

In recent history, the had Gerry DiNardo, who they hired from fucking Vanderbilt.

Next up was Nick Saban. Yes, he won LSU a title and eventually became a coaching legend at Alabama, but this was hardly a slam dunk awesome hire at the time.  He was coming off a 34-24-1 tenure at Michigan State, and he wasn’t exactly setting the world on fire his last few years there. It felt like a B+ hire at the time.

Then it was Miles, who amassed a decent 28-21 record at Oklahoma State, considering how terrible the Cowboys had been. He even beat Coach Bag O’ Dicks a couple times.  It seemed like LSU could’ve done better, no?

They settled on Ed Orgeron, who seemed to barely survive last year, and has actually done pretty well this year to fend off some of the fan ire. But his head coaching history isn’t a picture of long-term success.

I guess the follow up to your point is that the economic and recruiting resources at LSU should make it a program that lands bigger coaching prospects than it has been.  But shit, I guess you could say the same thing about Texas. It’s not like we’ve hired the Nick Saban 2.0s and Chip Kelley’s of the coaching world.

I’m happy for the entertainment he will provide. Great hire for Kansas. 

But he wasn’t great at OSU. He was average at best. He road Saban talent at LSU then shit the bed. But hopefully Kansas expectations are super low and he can get them from dumpster fire to below average. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Notice how Okie Lite got significantly better when he left? I can’t wrap my head around how anyone thinks he’s a good coach but beggars can’t be choosers I guess

His name was tossed around when Baylor was looking for a new coach after the Briles fiasco and he was available. I recall hearing that he'd had a come to Jesus moment regarding offense and had started consulting with more progressive offensive minds to learn and understand the HUNH spread that has become a staple of BXII football. If he makes the right hires and keeps an open mind his only obstacles will be recruiting and KU being in Kansas.

He's fucked.

JHawk broke it down a few days back.  Because of the scholarship shell game Beaty played the past few years, they are losing 27 seniors, but only have 15 scholarships to give next year.  And going past 2020...all the walk-ons and blue shirts that Beaty handed out scholarships to have to be counted for.

And before anyone goes on how he can just cancel a kids scholarship to get more available, conference rules prohibit that now.  Once a kid has one in hand, it's good for the duration as long as as they meet academic requirements, stay out of trouble, don't quit the team, etc.

I suspect this is his last gig.  He's 65.  If he gets them to .500 in conference by the end of his contract, that's an accomplishment.

37 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Notice how Okie Lite got significantly better when he left? I can’t wrap my head around how anyone thinks he’s a good coach but beggars can’t be choosers I guess

Eh...Ok St was 5-6, 5-6, 3-8 in the 3 years before he got there. He went 4-7 his first year, then 8-5, 9-4, 7-5. Not overwhelming, but consider that this was 2001-2004 and he was in a division with Stoops, Mack, Leach.

Gundy also went 4-7 his first year, then 7-6, 7-6, 9-4. So in first 4 years at OSU, Miles was 28-21 and Gundy was 27-23.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

I’m happy for the entertainment he will provide. Great hire for Kansas. 

But he wasn’t great at OSU. He was average at best. He road Saban talent at LSU then shit the bed. But hopefully Kansas expectations are super low and he can get them from dumpster fire to below average. 

You do realize he won 10 games a year at LSU. DKR averaged 8 at UT. Diminishing his accomplishments as a coach makes you look like an idiot. 

Second, out expectstions are super low, especially with the roster in the shape it is. If Les was our coach this year we are probably a 6-7 win team. Next year is a tough year to start though. I say give him 5 years to get to a bowl game. With the right assistants though I think he could potentially do it in 3 years. 

Edited by Jhawk

24 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

He's fucked.

JHawk broke it down a few days back.  Because of the scholarship shell game Beaty played the past few years, they are losing 27 seniors, but only have 15 scholarships to give next year.  And going past 2020...all the walk-ons and blue shirts that Beaty handed out scholarships to have to be counted for.

And before anyone goes on how he can just cancel a kids scholarship to get more available, conference rules prohibit that now.  Once a kid has one in hand, it's good for the duration as long as as they meet academic requirements, stay out of trouble, don't quit the team, etc.

I suspect this is his last gig.  He's 65.  If he gets them to .500 in conference by the end of his contract, that's an accomplishment.

I may have missed the breakdown, but I dont understand how this works. There is no way they are at 85 scholarships and I would imagine 85 would be mandated by the conference. How does a D1 school in a P5 conference use less than 85?

Edited by Vertigo

12 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

You do realize he won 10 games a year. DKR averaged 8. Diminishing his accomplishments as a coach makes you look like an idiot. 

Second, out expectstions are super low, especially with the roster in the shape it is. If Les was our coach this year we are probably a 6-7 win team. Next year is a tough year to start though. I say give him 5 years to get to a bowl game. With the right assistants though I think he could potentially do it in 3 years. 

How dare you bring DKR into this sir! 

YtIe.gif

Edited by Vertigo

4 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I may have missed the breakdown, but I dont understand how this works. There is no way they are at 85 scholarships and I would imagine 85 would be mandated by the conference. How does a D1 school in a P5 conference use less than 85?

It goes back to Weis really. Weis went so heavy on JuCos and then we had so much attrition Beaty started with only like 22 scholarship players. Since you can only have a max of 25 a year, it would literally take 4 years with 0 attrition or transfers to get up to speed (3x25 + 10 in 4th). Since Kansas needed players they got creative with blueshirts and grayshirts and getting kids to walkon for 2 years then get scholarships. This worked to a point but now we are losing like 37 seniors and we cannot possibly make up for that, add to the fact that the blueshirts count against next years scholarships and we can only give out 15 this year.

Kansas is in a dire situation next year regardless of who they hire. Kansas may be in a dire situation for 3 years due to the scholarships. Even maxed out on scholarships over the next 3 years, they will only have 65 on scholarship. It will take 4 years of with only missing on 5 (attritution or transfers or what not) for us to get back to 85 limit.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Are you implying that Les Miles is a better coach than  was DKR?

Absolutely not. I commented that saying Les was riding someone’s coattails is the opinion of an idiot and used the fact that if 10 wins a year for 11 years is a mediocre coach then there are about 2 good coaches in the history of college football. If  the guys point was that at LSU you should average more than 10 wins a year to be considered good then what would be considered a good coach at UT with all of its resources and talent pool?

I’m using his shit logic at other programs to see what constitutes a good coach vs. a mediocre coach. The guy must only be an urban Meyer and Nick Saban fan. 

Edited by Jhawk
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, 76Jayhawk said:

It goes back to Weis really. Weis went so heavy on JuCos and then we had so much attrition Beaty started with only like 22 scholarship players. Since you can only have a max of 25 a year, it would literally take 4 years with 0 attrition or transfers to get up to speed (3x25 + 10 in 4th). Since Kansas needed players they got creative with blueshirts and grayshirts and getting kids to walkon for 2 years then get scholarships. This worked to a point but now we are losing like 37 seniors and we cannot possibly make up for that, add to the fact that the blueshirts count against next years scholarships and we can only give out 15 this year.

Kansas is in a dire situation next year regardless of who they hire. Kansas may be in a dire situation for 3 years due to the scholarships. Even maxed out on scholarships over the next 3 years, they will only have 65 on scholarship. It will take 4 years of with only missing on 5 (attritution or transfers or what not) for us to get back to 85 limit.

Seems like a Haven for grad-transfers, transfers, and academic scholy qualifiers..... plus he can still "encourage" existing players to graduate early or transfer.....

Definitely will need to get creative....

Wasn't Herman's transition class at TEXAS smaller the 1st year (2017 Class)??

Edited by LTtxfan

I honestly don't see this being a very good fit. Much like Mack, Les Miles was successful by being an elite recruiter, not an X's and O's mastermind. Kansas may see an uptick in recruiting, but their recruits will still be of lower quality than most of the conference. Not a bad hire, but not really a game changer like Mangino.