Les Miles the next Head Coach at Kansas

Vic Mackey

2 minutes ago, NowThis said:

so true, he was horrendous at clock management, the worst many have ever seen, and then this thread makes him the next Mangino. 

Nobody said it will be the dawning of the age of aquarius for Kansas, but it is the absolute best hire they could have made.

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

Yeah I don’t get the love for him. Kansas hires a spare with a recognizable name. He’s most likely gonna do jack shit there.

It's mainly about the pressers.  Miles press conferences are consistently great from a complete WTF did he say perspective   

Pirate may have better ones when he goes zero fucks, but it's not an every week thing.  

18 minutes ago, 76Jayhawk said:

It goes back to Weis really. Weis went so heavy on JuCos and then we had so much attrition Beaty started with only like 22 scholarship players. Since you can only have a max of 25 a year, it would literally take 4 years with 0 attrition or transfers to get up to speed (3x25 + 10 in 4th). Since Kansas needed players they got creative with blueshirts and grayshirts and getting kids to walkon for 2 years then get scholarships. This worked to a point but now we are losing like 37 seniors and we cannot possibly make up for that, add to the fact that the blueshirts count against next years scholarships and we can only give out 15 this year.

Kansas is in a dire situation next year regardless of who they hire. Kansas may be in a dire situation for 3 years due to the scholarships. Even maxed out on scholarships over the next 3 years, they will only have 65 on scholarship. It will take 4 years of with only missing on 5 (attritution or transfers or what not) for us to get back to 85 limit.

Holy fuck. How does your fan base justify that? I don't give a fuck who our coach is. That type of roster mismanagement fucks you up for damn near a decade. 

And before any assholes try and compare this to mack, slap yourself. 37 seniors? Max class of 15? Fuck...

17 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Holy fuck. How does your fan base justify that? I don't give a fuck who our coach is. That type of roster mismanagement fucks you up for damn near a decade. 

And before any assholes try and compare this to mack, slap yourself. 37 seniors? Max class of 15? Fuck...

They weren't told.   

If he can hire a good OC, I can ride them as bowl eligible in 3 years. He'll get better players and compete with Baylor, KSU, Tech, ISU.

He'll get more 3* and 4* than what they've been getting, and that will help. They'll get DBs right away, because there are so many... They just have to score to be competetive.

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

I may have missed the breakdown, but I dont understand how this works. There is no way they are at 85 scholarships and I would imagine 85 would be mandated by the conference. How does a D1 school in a P5 conference use less than 85?

85 is the max.  There's no minimum to the amount of scholarships a school wishes to provide, as far as I know.  Schools that have scholarships reduced due to probation aren't at the 85 level.  In 2014, USC only had 44 on scholarship for their bowl game.

As for a D1 school having less than 85 on scholarship, it happens more often than you think.  Schools might carry 83-84 on scholarship just in case someone falls in their laps they didn't expect.  At any rate, only 25 can be granted each year, so that ceiling everyone bumps up against.  There is some manipulation of that limit, however, that goes on.

But nothing has ever been done on a scale that KU has done.  Beaty maxed out the scholarship credit card in an attempt to get warm bodies, and it sort of worked...but now it's due, and the interest is compounding.  

Edited by Francisco 2.0

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

You do realize he won 10 games a year at LSU. DKR averaged 8 at UT. Diminishing his accomplishments as a coach makes you look like an idiot. 

Second, out expectstions are super low, especially with the roster in the shape it is. If Les was our coach this year we are probably a 6-7 win team. Next year is a tough year to start though. I say give him 5 years to get to a bowl game. With the right assistants though I think he could potentially do it in 3 years. 

In fairness to DKR, he only had 4 eleven-game regular seasons. The only way to win ten games for the vast majority of his career was to go 11-0 or 10-1. Other than his first year at OSU, Les' teams have always had twelve-game regular seasons, often supplemented by a conference championship game.

The better comparison is the record at each school: 167-47-5 vs 114-34. Both were excellent and I personally think Les is a great hire.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Fart said:

This is an A+ hire by Kansas.    I didn't expect them to land a coach of this caliber.  Should be able to recruit as well.  

He recruited well at LSU because he had elite assistant coaches, sat right in the middle of a hot bed of talent and was willing to drop duffle bags of cash on recruits heads. Unless you are being sarcastic I think you might be overestimating his recruiting ability. 

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

You do realize he won 10 games a year at LSU. DKR averaged 8 at UT. Diminishing his accomplishments as a coach makes you look like an idiot. 

Second, out expectstions are super low, especially with the roster in the shape it is. If Les was our coach this year we are probably a 6-7 win team. Next year is a tough year to start though. I say give him 5 years to get to a bowl game. With the right assistants though I think he could potentially do it in 3 years. 

I get it. He was a good coach. Yes he won a lot of games at LSU. Mack won a lot of games at Texas. Jimbo won a lot of games at FSU. At those programs in those states winning 10 games a year , they could sign top 5 recruiting classes without leaving their house, which makes it hard to lose games with that kind of talent. Yet all 3 coaches slowly drove those programs into the shitter anyway. (To a degree, I get there are different levels of shit) 

That was my point. 

Kansas isn’t producing the most NFL talent per capital like Louisiana, and it also doesn’t have a mafia that makes them stay in state. I think Les Miles might be in for a different ride. It could work out, I don’t know. He did okay at OSU, so maybe it will be like that. Which would be great for Kansas. I wish you the best 

19 minutes ago, Spawn of Cthulhu said:

In fairness to DKR, he only had 4 eleven-game regular seasons. The only way to win ten games for the vast majority of his career was to go 11-0 or 10-1. Other than his first year at OSU, Les' teams have always had twelve-game regular seasons, often supplemented by a conference championship game.

The better comparison is the record at each school: 167-47-5 vs 114-34. Both were excellent and I personally think Les is a great hire.

Yeah I wasn't trying to knock DKR.  I was trying to show that great coaches are great coaches.  The original poster I was responding to is either such a homer that he can't call something fairly, or he is a complete fucking moron.  Both are great coaches, Miles will end up being a HOF coach, and it was a great hire given the situation that KU is in.  What we have is a poster who isn't looking at shit from all (any?) angles but the angle they can see from inside their own rectum.

• Like 1

I think this is great hire and can’t really understand anyone dogging on it.  I don’t expect him to light the world on fire and it wouldn’t be a great hire for a lot of programs, but this is Kansas.  They completely outkicked their coverage on this one.  All upside for them with an instant lift compared to where they’ve been.  Way more downside for Miles than for KU.  Plus the rest of us get the comedy gold.

10 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Yeah I wasn't trying to knock DKR.  I was trying to show that great coaches are great coaches.  The original poster I was responding to is either such a homer that he can't call something fairly, or he is a complete fucking moron.  Both are great coaches, Miles will end up being a HOF coach, and it was a great hire given the situation that KU is in.  What we have is a poster who isn't looking at shit from all (any?) angles but the angle they can see from inside their own rectum.

Jesus...did I hurt your feelings? 

6 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I get it. He was a good coach. Yes he won a lot of games at LSU. Mack won a lot of games at Texas. Jimbo won a lot of games at FSU. At those programs in those states winning 10 games a year , they could sign top 5 recruiting classes without leaving their house, which makes it hard to lose games with that kind of talent. Yet all 3 coaches slowly drove those programs into the shitter anyway. (To a degree, I get there are different levels of shit) 

That was my point. 

Kansas isn’t producing the most NFL talent per capital like Louisiana, and it also doesn’t have a mafia that makes them stay in state. I think Les Miles might be in for a different ride. It could work out, I don’t know. He did okay at OSU, so maybe it will be like that. Which would be great for Kansas. I wish you the best 

What in the fuck are you talking about????  He was in the national championship game 7 years into his 11 year tenure in the hardest division in football.  Further, he took an abysmal OSU team from 3 wins to 8 in two seasons, an OSU team that didn't have T. Boone.  KU has about 5 T. Boones that realize the dire situation at KU and how it could effect the entire athletic department.

Until Beaty and Weis we have done very well recruiting in Texas.  Over the last two years we have done very well (by kansas standard) in Louisiana.  It isn't all about Kansas players.  We plucked two 4* guys last year out of LA.  That was with a coach that was DOA and everyone knew it.  KU doesn't need 5* guys to win.

Finally, KU won a fucking orange bowl with a roster that had 46 kids from Kansas/Missouri, 25 from Texas, and 15 from Oklahoma.  So even if you are suggesting that we will only be able to recruit Kansas then look at the facts.  We did very well with 50% of a roster coming from states that don't have any talent.  A good coach is a good coach.  You don't have to have 4* and 5* guys and the pick of the litter in the most talented states to win big.  We don't even want to win big.

You must just be trolling me because you are talking a lot without looking at a single fucking fact.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I, for one, am not dogging the hire.  KU out kicked its coverage with who they were able to get.  Trouble is the decisions by his predecessors is going to make it very hard, if not impossible for Miles to get the talent necessary to get into the top half of the Big 12.

It will definitely be tough.  The nice thing is that we don't have to get into the top half to be in a bowl game.  Lawrence is a pretty magical place in the fall when we start 3-0 and have 4-5 games that look winable on paper.

I was talking with a buddy last night, speculating on the contract.  I wouldn't doubt if we gave him a 6-7 year deal based on the roster alone.  It will definitely be fully guaranteed for at least 5 years as well.  I'm guessing we start him at $4mm.

Just now, BigHorn'13 said:

They don't release simple roster information like Name, age and class? Maybe I'm just looking at this all wrong but we know who's on scholarship and who isn't, and if there's any fuckery going on with the 85/25. Dumbfounding. 

Oh sure, they probably told that.  But when you look at a Longhorns roster, does it show which ones are on scholarship, which one were blue shirts, etc?  That's what I was referencing.  Here's the official KU roster.  Pick the players on scholarship (they aren't listed).

JHawk said that Long had a come to Jesus meeting with Beaty in the summer on what exactly the scholarship picture was, for even he didn't know.  If the new AD doesn't have an idea, what makes you think the fanbase did?

What in the fuck are you talking about????  He was in the national championship game 7 years into his 11 year tenure in the hardest division in football.  Further, he took an abysmal OSU team from 3 wins to 8 in two seasons, an OSU team that didn't have T. Boone.  KU has about 5 T. Boones that realize the dire situation at KU and how it could effect the entire athletic department.

Until Beaty and Weis we have done very well recruiting in Texas.  Over the last two years we have done very well (by kansas standard) in Louisiana.  It isn't all about Kansas players.  We plucked two 4* guys last year out of LA.  That was with a coach that was DOA and everyone knew it.  KU doesn't need 5* guys to win.

Finally, KU won a fucking orange bowl with a roster that had 46 kids from Kansas/Missouri, 25 from Texas, and 15 from Oklahoma.  So even if you are suggesting that we will only be able to recruit Kansas then look at the facts.  We did very well with 50% of a roster coming from states that don't have any talent.  A good coach is a good coach.  You don't have to have 4* and 5* guys and the pick of the litter in the most talented states to win big.  We don't even want to win big.

You must just be trolling me because you are talking a lot without looking at a single fucking fact.

I think you missed my point on recruiting entirely. In fact, I think you missed a lot of my points. Les Miles is a good coach. You are right. I think you might be a little too worked up on this. Les Miles will do great. Good luck 

5 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

They don't release simple roster information like Name, age and class? Maybe I'm just looking at this all wrong but we know who's on scholarship and who isn't, and if there's any fuckery going on with the 85/25. Dumbfounding. 

Correct.  Our last AD and Beaty misled the fans and media to preserve their jobs.  The AD convinced the outgoing chancellor to extend his contract on her way out.  Then the AD gave Beaty an extension saying they are committed to building the roster through freshmen classes.  The next year we signed a class that was 90% JUCO.  It wasn't until Long was hired as AD that anyone was given actual numbers on where the roster stood.

2 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Oh sure, they probably told that.  But when you look at a Longhorns roster, does it show which ones are on scholarship, which one were blue shirts, etc?  That's what I was referencing.  Here's the official KU roster.  Pick the players on scholarship (they aren't listed).

JHawk said that Long had a come to Jesus meeting with Beaty in the summer on what exactly the scholarship picture was, for even he didn't know.  If the new AD doesn't have an idea, what makes you think the fanbase did?

I think it's on the fans just as much as the coaches. No, they're not going to list that information but we as fans know who's who. The fuckery of this whole situation is a complete mind fuck. 

1 hour ago, NowThis said:

you mean the age of asparagus 

Is marijuana legal in Kansas?

KU better brush up on grasses for cool climates......

Best Cool Season Grasses

On average, these climates have cold winters and warm to hot summers. Usually they also have regular intervals of rain throughout the summer months, but grasses will tolerate some extended periods of draught by going dormant. Typical cool season grass types include:

He's fucked.
JHawk broke it down a few days back.  Because of the scholarship shell game Beaty played the past few years, they are losing 27 seniors, but only have 15 scholarships to give next year.  And going past 2020...all the walk-ons and blue shirts that Beaty handed out scholarships to have to be counted for.
And before anyone goes on how he can just cancel a kids scholarship to get more available, conference rules prohibit that now.  Once a kid has one in hand, it's good for the duration as long as as they meet academic requirements, stay out of trouble, don't quit the team, etc.
I suspect this is his last gig.  He's 65.  If he gets them to .500 in conference by the end of his contract, that's an accomplishment.
All of that is true, including the part about being .500 at the end of his contract, which would be a major win for ku. As close to a homerun hire as you can get there.

9 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

This is exactly like when UTSA hired Larry Coker

That actually went well for UTSA starting a brand new FB program.

Based on what a JayHawk poster has shared here on Surly, the recruiting class scholarship problems (Only 15 available 2019 due to overuse of blueshirt signings by Beaty) are gonna take 4-5 years to fix.  Will be interesting to see how many transfers & grad-transfers The Mad Hatter can convince to sign with the JayHawks....

Edited by LTtxfan

5 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

What the fuck is a blue shirt?

Writeup from "The Athletic" by JayHawk poster on overuse of Blueshirts

The rule is simple: You can’t sign more than 25 scholarship players a year. And to get from 38 to 85, you need a lot more than 25 a year to begin closing the gap. So Beaty and his Kansas staff have had to get creative.

The tactic that’s yielded the most success thus far: blueshirts. This is a strange practice, one introduced years ago by New Mexico State’s football and compliance staffs. Blueshirt players pay for their tuition and housing in the summer and are put on scholarship on the first day of school. By not signing a national letter of intent before beginning classes, they’re counted toward the following year’s recruiting class. But unlike a grayshirt player, they get to enroll and play right away.

To qualify for a blueshirt, though, they technically cannot be recruited by Kansas. How exactly do you add a player without triggering his recruitment? The prospect can’t make an official visit. The coaches can’t have any in-person, off-campus visits with that prospect. They can’t send him a written scholarship offer or a National Letter of Intent, either. Instead, it takes unofficial campus visits, calls and texts to secure these prospects.

All in all, it’s a bizarre workaround. But at least five of Kansas’ starters last season — Hakeem Adeniji, Andru Tovi, Larry Hughes, Mike Lee and Cole Moos — joined the program as blueshirt players. Graduate transfers Corey King, Marcquis Roberts and Denzell Evans came in that way, too. The staff has taken around eight blueshirt players each year. They need all the extra help they can get.

Another method to help catch up: persuading players to walk on for two years and putting them on full scholarship for the final three. This helps because after two years, that scholarship does not count toward the 25-player annual limit. For walk-ons paying in-state tuition (roughly $10,000 a year), three years of cost-of-attendance stipend money can help offset those costs. Kansas has found a handful of players who were looking at FCS and Division II offers and willing to accept that deal.

“We looked at those guys and said: Is this guy better than the dude we have here?” Beaty said. “If he is, it’s probably less expensive for him to come here than it is for him to go to a Division II school if we think he might be able to develop.”

They’ve also tried to find graduate transfers who are willing to pay their way for the first semester and then be put on post-graduate aid to get their master’s degree. The Jayhawks lucked out last year in finding one in Nebraska transfer Zach Hannon, who logged six starts on the offensive line.

No other Big 12 team needs these kinds of ploys to reload its roster.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Which one of the 25K in average attendence did you want to give a shit?

7 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Kelly Bryant and Jalen Hurts will be battling for the starting job at KU....

FYI, we have visual confirmation that Les Miles is in the car on the way to Lawrence from the topeka airport.

The hat is back.

I'm kinda hoping Kelly Bryant takes a look at the Cougs to replace Minshew next season.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/ex-clemson-starting-qb-bryant-to-leave-tigers-after-demotion/

Kelly Bryant and Jalen Hurts will be battling for the starting job at KU....

FYI, we have visual confirmation that Les Miles is in the car on the way to Lawrence from the topeka airport.

The hat is back.

I'm sitting in a Hilton Garden Inn in Topeka right now reading this so it hits 2 hours from my home.  I had no idea anyone actually flew into Topeka, I assumed everyone went thru KC

5 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

I'm sitting in a Hilton Garden Inn in Topeka right now reading this so it hits 2 hours from my home.  I had no idea anyone actually flew into Topeka, I assumed everyone went thru KC

I think topeka has the least accessible area so they can hide it better.  LFK and Wheeler downtown KC are wide open.

27 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

He’s still an idiot. But as long as he still has his 4 leaf clover or lucky penny or whatever talisman he owns, he will do fine. 

Word is he re-upped with the dark prince, satan himself.  We'll be in the top half of the league in year 1 and be able to fill an entire episode of "the wacky world of sports" on our own each week.

Watch out.

Stewart Mandel is pretty brutal:

https://theathletic.com/659409/2018/11/18/kansas-football-coach-les-miles-jeff-long-ad/

What Kansas absolutely, positively needed most in this hire was an innovator. And no one who followed Miles’ slow downfall at LSU would use that word to describe him.

Take a look at some of the biggest turnaround stories in college football over the last decade. None of the coaches at the center of them were considered splashy hires at the time. But they all had unique, ahead-of-the-curve systems.

Baylor a decade ago was what Kansas is today. Art Briles came in and led the Bears to two Big 12 championships with an electrifying offense he’d devised as a Texas high school coach.

Purdue had gone 9-39 in the four seasons before hiring Jeff Brohm two years ago. Brohm is a win away from leading the Boilers to a second consecutive bowl berth thanks to an extremely creative, risk-taking system.

Matt Campbell has rescued Iowa State from a decade of irrelevance to beat three top-10 teams over the past two seasons. He was a product of Division III powerhouse Mount Union who’s recreated that program’s unique culture in Ames.

I hate to be so blunt, but Miles shares nothing in common with any of those guys. He is an old-school Bo Schembechler disciple who’s all about grit and toughness and the “will to win.” Which he did a lot of when he was coaching at one of the deepest-pocketed schools in America in a state overflowing with four- and five-star recruits. And he ate grass, and we all loved it.

But then the sport quite literally passed him by. One day, he and Nick Saban’s Alabama teams were running the same exact system and trying to beat each other 9-6. And then the next day, Saban was hiring Lane Kiffin as his offensive coordinator, installing an up-tempo offense, and then RPOs. Miles’ only saving grace was getting the boot before he had to face Tua Tagovailoa.

And now he’s going to the most innovative offensive conference in the country, the one that gave rise to Baylor and the Air Raid, where Patrick Mahomes and Baker Mayfield honed their craft. Kyler Murray and Will Grier will be gone by the time Miles gets to the Big 12, but rest assured there’ll be another wave of ultra-efficient quarterbacks right behind them.

Miles will talk a good game about how much he’s learned during his time away, and how much he’s changed, and how different his Kansas teams will look than his last LSU ones did. Maybe he’ll even persuade a cutting-edge offensive coordinator to join him.

But ultimately, a 65-year-old coach is not likely going to drastically reinvent himself. It’s going to be the same-tasting coffee just served in a different cup.

Best of luck to you, Kansas.

• Like 1

Idk what the realistic expectations are for Les at Kansas. 6 wins in 2 or 3 years? I mean Mandel paints a bleak picture of hiring Miles, but the Kansas program is bleak as well. It’s one of the more interesting things to watch in this conference, to see how things change up there.