Les Miles the next Head Coach at Kansas

Vic Mackey

2 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Kelly Bryant and Jalen Hurts will be battling for the starting job at KU....

FYI, we have visual confirmation that Les Miles is in the car on the way to Lawrence from the topeka airport.

The hat is back.

was your band at the airport to greet him?

• Haha 2

Surprised Mad Hatter's contract is only $2.775M per year with retention bonuses in Nov.2020 and Nov.2022..... 5 years total. 

Gonna be interesting to learn about guaranteed amount and other possible benefits paid separately by alumni instead of the School.

Edited by LTtxfan

29 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Idk what the realistic expectations are for Les at Kansas. 6 wins in 2 or 3 years? I mean Mandel paints a bleak picture of hiring Miles, but the Kansas program is bleak as well. It’s one of the more interesting things to watch in this conference, to see how things change up there.

It's like he thinks we want to win the big12.  Every KU fan would be thrilled to go to the alamo bowl every other year.

Just now, LTtxfan said:

Surprised Mad Hatter's contract is only $2.775M per year with retention bonuses in Nov.2020 and Nov.2022..... 5 years total. 

Gonna be interesting to learn about guaranteed amount and other possible benefits paid separately by alumni instead of the School.

I'm not.  it was either that or sit at home answering voice mails from his lawyer.

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Shocked at the value and shocked at the term.  I wouldn't have blinked at $4mm and would have done $4.5 if required for 5 years.  at $2.8mm I would have expected it to be a 6-7 years deal.  I am confident this is fully guaranteed as have all 3 of our last coaching contracts.  No way he takes barely more than weis and doesn't get the same guarantee.

It is going to be really interesting to see how this plays out for Les. I hope he has some success but I just don’t see how this is a great hire. Sure...it looks good on paper...Big 12 history, MNC coach...but this ain’t LSU or Stillwater.  We’ll see how good a coach he is over the next several years as he tries to pull that roster out of the shitter. If nothing else, the conference gets another good personality at HC. Media days should be fun!

On 11/17/2018 at 3:22 AM, maninblack said:

He'll fail miserably but great hire

Surprised it took this many posts to get to this one.

EDIT: And that Mandel article is spot on. This conference is the absolute worst one for him to reestablish himself, and Kansas is the worst one of the 10 for him to do so.

Edited by hpslugga

Outside of the JUCOS, DII transfers, and Grad transfers, Les needs to scout the rich schools like Highland Park/Westlake/Southlake for overlooked good rich boys and have them “walk-on”. Not that blue shirt shit.

Does Les have an area where he has an in-roads to recruiting? Like Charlie had Florida. Louisiana doesn’t count, I could have recruited locals to LSU.

May eventually get them to a bowl.

25 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

I would take anything mandel says with a grain of salt. He said KU would be competing for the conference title under Gil. We all know how that turned out. 

I was never sold on Gil either and I’ve no idea why he was. I do not say that Mandel is some sort of authority, but I’ll recognize when someone is correct. The only way miles doesn’t fail here is if that rhetoric about him changing his ways offensively is really true. If he thinks he’s going to bring that power grab-ass nonsense and do any better than Beaty, he’s high as a kite and we’re looking at a facsimile of Bielema at Arkansas.

Edited by hpslugga

11 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

I was never sold on Gil either and I’ve no idea why he was. I do not say that Mandel is some sort of authority, but I’ll recognize when someone is correct. The only way miles doesn’t fail here is if that rhetoric about him changing his ways offensively is really true. If he thinks he’s going to bring that power grab-ass nonsense and do any better than Beaty, he’s high as a kite and we’re looking at a facsimile of Bielema at Arkansas.

I guess the question I would ask is what does "fail" mean to you?  Further, is that risk of failure greater than the risk of getting another position coach to do the job?  Because that is what KU is looking at if they don't dust off miles.  I'll add that another coach who can only win 3 games might just finish off the program altogether.

KU doesn't exactly have coaches lining up to take the job and the "young hot" guys aren't going to come here to have their career killed.  Given the complete picture, what is your definition of failure and who would you have hired that would actually take the job (names please)?  I'm not asking to be combative, I'm asking because I've racked my brain and the only other option in my mind was Jeff Monken at Army or possibly Bo Pelini.

2 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

I don’t get the meaning of your post... how does the cowboys winning keep leach in Pullman?

I think he's referring to rumblings of the Cowboys being interested in Lincoln Riley. And had Garrett gotten fired, they'd hire Lincoln, freeing up the OU job. And Leach would take it.

So if he’s introduced this week, I guess he will be on the sideline or in the coaches booth for the game?  Or would that be disrespectful to the outgoing staff?

follow up:  does his luck only apply when he is actively coaching, or does he need to be present, or is a signed contract enough to have all the bounces go kansas’ way?

Edited by Pato del Muerto

7 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I think he's referring to rumblings of the Cowboys being interested in Lincoln Riley. And had Garrett gotten fired, they'd hire Lincoln, freeing up the OU job. And Leach would take it.

Mike Leach at OU would suck for us.  Go Jason!!!!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Got it.

leach isn’t coming back to the big 12. I’ve said it in multiple threads that he gave an interview and was adamant he wouldn’t set foot in the state of Texas unless the state institution pays him what they owe him. He changed the subject of the interview, going out of his way, to say that on national radio (XM broadcast). He said he wouldn’t even recruit Texas and he would never visit. This was this last spring. He has only signed 5 or so guys from the state his entire time in Pullman. 

Unless he is sure he can put 70 on every team from Texas and do it without Texas recruits then I highly doubt he comes back. I also doubt OU would put up with his shit. 

5 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Yeah it makes sense. I’m very interested in his coordinator and assistant hires. 

Those choices matter.  You can tell that he is just a manager and a connector with the kids.  His enthusiasm and command of a disciplined team are what I look forward to most.  His OC/DC will be the guys that drive this team to "success."

Edited by Jhawk

Just now, Jhawk said:

Those choices matter.  You can tell that he is just a manager and a connector with the kids.  His enthusiasm and command of a disciplined team are what I look forward to most.  His OC/DC will be the guys that drive this team to "success."

Absolutely true

It's a damn exciting time at KU.  Les referenced that he has already reached out to OC/DC candidates.  That is extremely good because ours are atrocious.  His gravitas will hopefully bring in competent guys that would otherwise be in the Saban camp for misfit coaches.  If we can hire like Saban does because Les is in year 1 and has the clout to get it done then we are well on our way to .500 and that is a great place to start.

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Nice to wake up to this news in Asia. Surprised that we got him for that amount per year. I assumed $4-5M. Means we will be able to more easily afford bigger name coordinators.  I assume there will be heavy incentives included.  Really interested to see what he can do with recruiting this class as we have 1 recruit right now. Hiring him is a win; hiring him at that annual salary is amazing.

35 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

It's a damn exciting time at KU.  Les referenced that he has already reached out to OC/DC candidates.  That is extremely good because ours are atrocious.  His gravitas will hopefully bring in competent guys that would otherwise be in the Saban camp for misfit coaches.  If we can hire like Saban does because Les is in year 1 and has the clout to get it done then we are well on our way to .500 and that is a great place to start.

When asked about OC in today's presser, didn't seem like he's gonna hire an Air Raid type OC..... Les kinda snickered at question about Air Raid Offenses....

Edited by LTtxfan

2 minutes ago, The People’s Elbow said:

Getting to .500 is a good start? To what? 

You clearly don't have a clue about the state of KU football.  And I didn't say that going .500 is a good start.  I said being on our way to being .500 is a good start.  We've won 18 games in the last 9 seasons.  I'd love to win 3-4 next year given the roster situation.

2 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Got it.

leach isn’t coming back to the big 12. I’ve said it in multiple threads that he gave an interview and was adamant he wouldn’t set foot in the state of Texas unless the state institution pays him what they owe him. He changed the subject of the interview, going out of his way, to say that on national radio (XM broadcast). He said he wouldn’t even recruit Texas and he would never visit. This was this last spring. He has only signed 5 or so guys from the state his entire time in Pullman. 

Unless he is sure he can put 70 on every team from Texas and do it without Texas recruits then I highly doubt he comes back. I also doubt OU would put up with his shit. 

Leach would be on a flight to Norman before he hung up the phone.  I don't think it matters for now, but Jerra loves him some Lincoln Riley.  And everyone knows Riley has NFL aspirations.

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

When asked about OC in today's presser, didn't seem like he's gonna hire an Air Raid type OC..... Les kinda snickered at question about Air Raid Offenses....

He also kind of answered about how great they threw the ball with mettenberger, and when they didn’t have a guy that could “process” fast enough and throw well they became a running team and “still won 10 games”. He used it to say that he will adapt the offense to the players he has.

9 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

He also kind of answered about how great they threw the ball with mettenberger, and when they didn’t have a guy that could “process” fast enough and throw well they became a running team and “still won 10 games”. He used it to say that he will adapt the offense to the players he has.

Yeah, I heard that too.  But he better update his offensive beliefs and hire a more rpo OC if he wants to attract today's more athletic QB'S that participate in 7-on-7 football....

Edited by LTtxfan

6 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

No other school was lining up to throw money at him. That’s why his salary is what it is