The all encompassing mid century modern appreciation thread

Patricio Swayze

On 12/23/2018 at 5:34 PM, Tigersnake said:

I'm in. Usually lurk the football and recruiting pages---first time I've ventured this way. I'm a real estate agent and a bit of a MCM freak.  Live in a mid-century home in San Antonio, Oak Hills neighborhood. Oak Hills has great mid-century architecture and a good value in S.A.  May post pictures of things I see when I'm out and about.

Oak Hills? Now I’m curious. How much is a nice 3000sf home run with a pool?

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't realize we had a MCM thread, very cool.

I'm a fan of the style and the era.  Truly classic, original pieces can cost a fortune. And even reproductions. 

But there are some reasonably affordable options to get the look and feel, even if they don't have the same quality as the originals.

On 1/6/2019 at 5:45 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

I was watching Tom and Jerry with my daughters and the classic episode “Buddies Thicker than Water” (1962) came on. It had some pretty cool mid century design in it. A few screen grabs.

Gsd79bSp_o.jpeg

My grandmother had one of these that was broken,  none of the components worked, but the wood was in good condition. I wanted to gut all the crappy components and put modern amp, cd player and speakers.   But then she died and everything was divided up or trashed, I was in college at the time so had no time or space or money to fix it up anyways.

57 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Very nice, but looks pretty current to me. 

Thanks. Some relatively current and some isn't:

C.Jere "notes" sculpture

1965 Telefunken

Tub Rocker by Adrian Pearsall for Craft Associates

Lane 1166 coffee table

Chicklet Sofa by Ray Wilkes for Herman Miller

There is an early Eames 670/671 with a Platner side table and Koch Lowy brass lamp in the back corner reading area. 

I used what works for the space.

• Like 1

My oldest brother (80) built a custom home in a north Austin golf course community in 1971. He had custom furniture made for the living areas and added an Amana radar oven to the kitchen. 

He just sold the unrenovated house last year with that same furniture, fixtures, & microwave- all untouched & still functioning. It was like an early 1970s museum. Just the shag carpet in the bedrooms & living room had been replaced (with more shag) about 30 years ago.

Edited by Armybrat

3 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

My oldest brother (80) built a custom home in a north Austin golf course community in 1971. He had custom furniture made for the living areas and added an Amana radar oven to the kitchen. 

He just sold the unrenovated house last year with that same furniture, fixtures, & microwave- all untouched & still functioning. It was like an early 1970s museum. Just the shag carpet in the bedrooms & living room had been replaced (with more shag) about 30 years ago.

That's some trippy shit mano.  I've been in a few houses around here designed by a local mid century architect. Some of them have the unmolested kitchens from the 50's with type Amana type ovens. Always cool to step back in those time capsules.

On 11/16/2018 at 11:31 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

I think we had one of these back in the old country, or something similar.  I have always loved this kind of design and aesthetic.  From mid century architecture and decor to sci fi book covers and everything in between.  I guess people throw around the word "googie" and "atomic age" too.  I also dig signs of all types, especially motels.  Two things popped up recently that made think about starting this thread.  First was a friend telling me about "The House of the Century" down in Angleton.  This may or may not fall into the mid century modern theme depending on how strict one is.  I had never heard of it, but now I want to go and photograph it.  Would make a great black and white shot.  How it looked when it was built in 1972, and how it looks now:

a1.jpg

a4.jpg

a12.jpg

More photos and information here:  http://www.hiddenarchitecture.net/2016/05/house-of-century.html

Then I was looking for other abandoned places in Texas and came across a church in Kingsville with a tower that has a very mid century modern feel.  It made me think about some of the courthouse and other local government buildings in towns around Texas that have mid century (and also art deco) designs that are seemingly out of place or unexpected.

7530bf7fc2c96058af95b58e342b624b.jpg

I also salvaged this from an abandoned building that I believe has been demolished now.  I have yet to restore the legs, but talking with Ldogg who is a big fan of this stuff, he felt they were the real deal.

6fncVxyf_o.jpeg

The top three pictures looks like a literal interpretation of Roger Deans theoretical  designs outlined in his book “Views”. Any idea when those were built?

Dean had developed/envisioned an entire style of living based on exactly that design. Including furniture, living space and a small carbon footprint. But, he acknowledged at the time of the books printing that there were still some engineering issue he had not yet worked out. I’m wondering if that wasn’t the inspiration for those homes?

That is the first time I have seen such a design that was actually built. Very cool..

• Like 1

That church is pretty cool. Wonder who designed it. I lived in Denton for 15 years before I became interested in architecture. After I moved I found out I had been living amongst a bunch of O'neil Ford structures. Even got married in one.

Those definitely look like early Eames Shell chairs. The earliest examples have rope embedded around the edges to  give them a radius. Later the incorporated the radius in the mold.

If you watch any HGTV or DIY it is really weird to see the present trend of mixing modern farmhouse with mid century modern.  Mid century modern seems most prevalent in lighting fixtures and sofa/couch lines in that mix.  Tamara Day of Bargain Mansions loves using mid century modern lighting.  

Yeah, I'm stuck at home sick and watching TV.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

1 minute ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

If you watch any HGTV or DIY it is really weird to see the present trend of mixing modern farm with mid century modern.  Mid century modern seems most prevalent in lighting fixtures and sofa/couch lines in that mix.

I like an eclectic mix of styles. MC Modern works with a paired down farmhouse, or a french Chateau if executed properly. Not much of a fan of a lot of the new mid century lighting, expose bulbs all willy nilly in location and form, and the anodized gold look. Cheesy and bad design in far too many cases.

Gold and bronze were quite common colors for metals in the actual mid century.  It's not common anymore, but it's appropriate for the period and an integral part of the aesthetic.  I think it looks good when you're not trying to mix it with overly contemporary takes on modern which tend to the silver/steel color palette.

I'm not a huge fan of the more industrial-style lighting fixtures, but exposed bulbs were also pretty common in sputnik/atomic lighting fixtures of the day.

Edited by utee94

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Gold and bronze were quite common colors for metals in the actual mid century.  It's not common anymore, but it's appropriate for the period and an integral part of the aesthetic.  I think it looks good when you're not trying to mix it with overly contemporary takes on modern which tend to the silver/steel color palette.

Bronze I like, anodized, gold alum. I've never liked.  Steel /stainless steel is definitely moderne' but a little different in it's modernity and flavor.  There was some really bad mid century design up thru the 70's mixed in with really great design. Just because its mid century modern doesn't mean it needs to be resurrected or put on some pedestal.  

Again I really like an eclectic mix and not a rigid formula of design, which should be a reflection of ones multiple tastes.  Mid century modern to me is more about form, scale, asymmetry, clean lines, certain patterns, and not color as much.

Regardless, I too design toward an eclectic mix.  I'm not comfortable with spaces in 2019 that are designed to look identical to 1961.  They come off as anachronistic museum pieces rather than livable spaces.  I have no desire to live in a museum, even if it's filled with beautiful pieces that I love, individually.

• Like 1

You can certainly dislike it, but that doesn't make it any less a part of the aesthetic.  Everyone has an opinion, of course.

Oh yeah, it is all personal opinion, and mine is I don't like anodized gold alum.  It looks like cheap, folding beach chairs.  It's a color/finish that goes out of fashion very quickly, and good design is timeless IMO.

Regardless, I too design toward an eclectic mix.  I'm not comfortable with spaces in 2019 that are designed to look identical to 1961.  They come off as anachronistic museum pieces rather than livable spaces.  I have no desire to live in a museum, even if it's filled with beautiful pieces that I love, individually.

Yeah well said. Now I'd say however, if you want a Colonial Williamsburg, Va.  style home, and love that look, that's exactly what you're going to get.  I walked into a home 2 weeks ago built in 1730, and the current owners have slavishly maintained that style. It's drop dead gorgeous, and their are still colors they used that make my skin crawl a little, personal taste always is a critical factor.

There was plenty of ugly stuff designed that is considered MCM, even by some of the famous designers. I do like stuff designed by iconic designers but some of my favorite pieces I've never been able to I.D.

I tend to gravitate to the warm side of modern design like Danish Modern. I like the warm look of teak and brass and don't care plastic and chrome pieces that became prevalent in the 70s. I look for pieces that define a space without dominating it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ths71 said:

There was plenty of ugly stuff designed that is considered MCM, even by some of the famous designers. I do like stuff designed by iconic designers but some of my favorite pieces I've never been able to I.D.

I tend to gravitate to the warm side of modern design like Danish Modern. I like the warm look of teak and brass and don't care plastic and chrome pieces that became prevalent in the 70s. I look for pieces that define a space without dominating it. 

Yeah the Danish stuff is a lot more sub-tle in its approach.  I'm a big fan of De stijl. Colorful, geometric and the play of space and form is amazing to me.

I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but while browsing Redfin I came across this house:   https://www.redfin.com/TX/Austin/1306-Elton-Ln-78703/home/31225939

Its as if someone invented a time machine and sent Mitch Cumstein's wife back in time to 1967 with some good drugs and an unlimited decorating budget.   

I dig it.  Unfortunately, I am sure the new owners will have a very different vision for the house/lot. 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 6:31 AM, Okie State said:

I've been gravitating toward this style of furniture recently. I'm not a purist so not sure what fits the actual definition of MCM, but we bought this couch recently and love it. I also pretty much love any and all furniture made from black walnut.

Need to ditch the generic rug and get one that really ties the room together man.6ca168f8891bed185986f6f689f79f2b.jpg

These types of couches with skinny legs cannot handle my g-forces.  Giggity.

13 hours ago, Ollie Slatt said:

I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but while browsing Redfin I came across this house:   https://www.redfin.com/TX/Austin/1306-Elton-Ln-78703/home/31225939

Its as if someone invented a time machine and sent Mitch Cumstein's wife back in time to 1967 with some good drugs and an unlimited decorating budget.   

I dig it.  Unfortunately, I am sure the new owners will have a very different vision for the house/lot. 

I would maybe cut down on the rugs a bit, but otherwise I like it.

On 2/10/2019 at 6:25 PM, 52-80 said:

So this isn't necessarily MC but y'all are into cool living spaces and this house in Austin is the best I've seen

Usually these things showcase ostentatious or superficial magazine-fodder, but damn this is a house I could get down with.

who are those people and how do they have that kind of money?  nice house, but not mid-century modern.  seem like a cool couple.