The all encompassing mid century modern appreciation thread

Patricio Swayze

• 1 month later...
Wife just picked up a nice MCM rolling bar cabinet at a thrift store for $40. No pic, as it’s living at her office. Stamped by American of Martinsville. I’ll try to remember to snap a pic next time I’m there. 

I picked up a 10 last night. No pic, as she’s living in Canada. She’s stamped “Chad’s pussy.” I’ll try to remember to snap a pic next time I’m there.

Am I missing something?

All I see is pics of the old terminal and separate renderings of hotel rooms. There’s nothing about how they intend to integrate one with the other, which seems to be the most important part.

TWA Flight Center. The guestrooms designed by New York City firm Stonehill Taylor will be accessible through Saarinen’s iconic flight tubes made famous by the 2002 film Catch Me If You Can. Fasten your seatbelt and enjoy some highlights of our rooms.b94808c1c2e5d8b512184cc1d3f7e88e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Ths71 said:

TWA Flight Center. The guestrooms designed by New York City firm Stonehill Taylor will be accessible through Saarinen’s iconic flight tubes made famous by the 2002 film Catch Me If You Can. Fasten your seatbelt and enjoy some highlights of our rooms.b94808c1c2e5d8b512184cc1d3f7e88e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very cool.  I hope they can make it work economically.

The printer certainly screams MCM. ;)

I'm currently finishing up our guest bedroom renovation, and it's a mix of MCM and some other modern styles.  I don't ever like to decorate in entirely one vintage style because I don't want the room to feel like a museum piece, but this one definitely has a majority of pieces that are MCM.   I'll post up some pics when we're done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Glad I found this thread.

Found this neat little bench on the side of the curb.

If repaint, I think I’ll keep that same shade of blue! Or maybe some sort of orangey color.

Not sure if that’s its permanent location. I’ll eventually work on those oak tree stumps.

The baby blue and lines just screamed 1960 to me.

5529537ed7832b92cec3937792e34379.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I posted this on the woodworking/DIY/home improvement thread but figured I'd put it here too, since there's a lot of MCM pieces and influence in my design.  Theis is our guest bedroom which has been a junk/storage room for years, but it was time to change that.

I built this large wooden headboard/wall art piece out of construction lumber, with a lot of help from my 9yo son and 11yo daughter.  And then I let them do the majority of the staining/finishing themselves as well.  They had a great time and learned a lot, plus the piece looks pretty good, I think.  

61114031_10205646887087966_7285602502228

Floating sideboards for a cleaner look, with 7 coats of spar urethane on each because I don't trust my guests not to put drinks directly on them without a coaster!  And this chair is now my favorite place to sit in the house and read...

61366752_10205646886567953_2081438445535

The dresser won't see much use in a guest bedroom, so I just bought an inexpensive flat-pack reproduction.  Sadly, my parents who had a very similar piece in solid walnut, got rid of it years ago.

60833500_10205646887127967_3178407542866

61198778_10205646887447975_1806147749284

The reading lights are wired through the headboard and placed on separate remote-controlled switches.  The clock/radio is a 50s-inspired but modern piece, it plays FM, bluetooth input, and includes a USB charging port.

61282744_10205646887727982_5562394612993

This was an odd niche on the opposite side of the room, so I added the built-in desk, made from a hollow core door with birch veneer.

61559040_10205646888167993_6435989728343

60953042_10205646887967988_8395259989513

Edited by utee94
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

^^^

Rookie.  Guest rooms should never make a guest feel completely welcome and comfortable.  They need a bit of the fast food 'get out already' vibe to them.

Ha!  Indeed.  I suppose I'll just have to let my thoroughly foul nature do my dirty work for me. ;)

I live in a '52 Ranch house with a flying roof ....   so this literally hits home

I wish the Terrazzo was a better color...  but the folks who built this house (I met their kids, they came by the house) were Italians and picked Pink & Green.   The kids told me their mom missed Italy and had frescoes painted on most of the walls (plaster and Lathe)...  of course that stuff is under 20 layers of paint, and judging by their color pallet, probably ugly as sin.  Mid mo isn't all slick and glamorous.  Some of the stuff in S. Florida is really cool though.

Drive by this every day

citi+bldg2.jpg

The kids bathroom was original Aqua tile which was actually pretty cool, but RIP, had a pipe burst and had to be torn out and there's just no way to match it.

Looking through some of my photos and remembered this chapel from an abandoned seminary in San Antonio.  I think the alter and glass fit the aesthetic.  I am guessing there was some kind of fixture hanging down that is long gone.  Well, I think it is all gone now.

20155547733_942de8b45c_b.jpg

Brazil has a strong love for modern and mid century modern.  Not sure where the Catedral de São Sebastião do Rio de Janeiro falls...

5987517327_497d4c2b3a_b.jpg

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Looking through some of my photos and remembered this chapel from an abandoned seminary in San Antonio.  I think the alter and glass fit the aesthetic.  I am guessing there was some kind of fixture hanging down that is long gone.  Well, I think it is all gone now.

20155547733_942de8b45c_b.jpg

Brazil has a strong love for modern and mid century modern.  Not sure where the Catedral de São Sebastião do Rio de Janeiro falls...

Methodists seem to have a love of modern architecture for their churches. I've visited several over the years that all have that same vibe.

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Very interesting, I've never seen any photos of this building but searched it up after you posted.  The interior is even more interesting than the exterior.  I'd say it's a cross between Brtutalism, and some kind of Mayan/Aztec pyramid, although I don't think the Mayans or Aztecs ever really occupied Brazil or left any of their pyramids there.

Regardless, it's certainly a very interesting structure.  Here's an interior shot:

1920px-Rio_de_janeiro_cathedral_sao_seba

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...

Check this place out. The original owner owned a chain of jewelry stores in SE Texas. My grandfather built some furniture for them back in the day, and I've been in the house once in the early '80s. The place was gorgeous inside and out. One of the first private homes I ever saw with a pool. It backed up to the Port Arthur Ship channel on a street that at the time was one of the nicest neighborhoods in town. A shame what it's become. 

https://www.auction.com/details/4700-lakeshore-dr-port-arthur-tx-77642-2820254-o_1252w?fbclid=IwAR15i2W08hDxWSRxP5onJXJiGpzY7_t1hbGr-bQK07TZ2PZnFXj7HZtxxzw

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is, by far, my favorite piece of furniture we own.  My dad got it through a decorator in the late 1950s/early 1960s.  It's, since then,  been passed down to my family.  I've never seen a table/chair set exactly like it (although it's distant cousin appears on the fourth season of Weeds and, through the set designer for that show, I tracked it to the WB prop house).  My sister in law is a decorator and suspects it was made by McGuire in San Francisco.  I have an email into them.  There are no maker's mark on the underside of the table or the chairs.  Anyone have any ideas? 

Search terms:  mid century Chinese red lacquer mosaic top has not born fruit. 

/edit:  I realize it isn't technically MCM Danish modern, but rather vintage Chinoiserie.  Still, I am of the opinion that since this type of furniture often was mixed in with Danish modern and neoclassical styles, it's fair game for a MCM thread.

E78-JPyzp-ZCs-Q2-Cvf-OW2k-P6gg6lu-JAe-ZY

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...