The all encompassing mid century modern appreciation thread

Patricio Swayze

So since I got laid off, I guess this is as good a time as any to get rid of some things I am not using.

I was told these chairs are the real deal Herman Miller chairs, but I am not sure how to authenticate them. I was also told they could be worth $400 a piece, but again, I am not sure if that is right.

If anyone is interested in them, please message me and I can send more photos. These were rescued from an abandoned YMCA not far from a famous mid century modern neighborhood (maybe some connection?).

c73gl6cR_o.jpeg

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 9:36 AM, Don Johnson said:

Just discovered this thread and it reminded by of Frank Broyles house that was for sale a couple of years ago, designed by E. Fay Jones.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/721-N-Canterbury-Rd_Fayetteville_AR_72701_M70712-82476#photo26

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Damn, that's a shit load of brown... 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

One of the benefits of being the only one left on my side of the family who drinks.  Got to pick over my late dad's extensive bar ware yesterday. 

IMG-20200726-145515.jpg

Also picked up some HIFI components and, hopefully, will have the 9 foot long console to load them back into before too long.  But that part is a little more complicated.

• Like 4

So this is the HIFI console.  Mom has moved out and the house is going on the market.  But I have been granted right of first refusal on the console, which will stay there for staging for now.  Unfortunately, I don't think I'm Surly 1% enough to swing the lamps (smaller stuff always seems to be worth more than the big stuff), but I would like to. 

The McIntosh components that go in there came home with me last night though.  Amp needs a little more work.

IMG-20200710-183215.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5

23 hours ago, troph said:

That’s a pretty sweet style to land on, very nice.

Saying goodbye to this house and this room hurts.  Most of that stuff has been in our family for 60+ years. 

Edited by dcbc

So this is the HIFI console.  Mom has moved out and the house is going on the market.  But I have been granted right of first refusal on the console, which will stay there for staging for now.  Unfortunately, I don't think I'm Surly 1% enough to swing the lamps (smaller stuff always seems to be worth more than the big stuff), but I would like to. 
The McIntosh components that go in there came home with me last night though.  Amp needs a little more work.

IMG-20200710-183215.jpg

What Mac components?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One of the benefits of being the only one left on my side of the family who drinks.  Got to pick over my late dad's extensive bar ware yesterday. 
IMG-20200726-145515.jpg
Also picked up some HIFI components and, hopefully, will have the 9 foot long console to load them back into before too long.  But that part is a little more complicated.

Love MCM barware.4638ec58749a97538bc2b1a223a03c1d.jpg
6e92127ebf89045adb6db299aa8db2ff.jpg
Blender still works like a champ. It has one speed.
“Obliterate”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

“Obliterate”

Lol all Waring Pro blenders have their speed set to obliterate.

My wife loves and hates hers, it’s a retro avocado green and that thing will crush rocks if you put them in there.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ths71 said:

“Obliterate”

Nice.  I like the starburst glassware, too.  There are some vertical burst-looking lines on one of the red rimmed glasses I have, but the rest of them appear to have had that feature wear off over the years.

Edited by dcbc

Nice.  I like the starburst glassware, too.  There are some vertical burst-looking lines on one of the red rimmed glasses I have, but the rest of them appear to have had that feature wear off over the years.

Really need to be hand washed. Yours look like Georges Briard. His vintage stuff is pretty popular and usually has his signature somewhere.

25 minutes ago, Ths71 said:

Really need to be hand washed. Yours look like Georges Briard. His vintage stuff is pretty popular and usually has his signature somewhere.

Thanks.  Like a lot of stuff my parents owned, things got used.  Dishes went int the dishwasher.  I hand washed it all when I got it home and have no intention of putting any of it in the dishwasher.  But that's just how they did it back then.  I'm assuming those gold glasses are Culver. 

Edited by dcbc

33 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Thanks.  Like a lot of stuff my parents owned, things got used.  Dishes went int the dishwasher.  I hand washed it all when I got it home and have no intention of putting any of it in the dishwasher.  But that's just how they did it back then.  I'm assuming those gold glasses are Culver. 

Yup, my grandmother had something like 5 sets of Noritake bone china, and she washed them all in the dishwasher. We inherited one set and it's still in pretty good condition, a few chips along the edges here and there but the patterns all still look good.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, dcbc said:

Saying goodby to this house and this room hurts.  Most of that stuff has been in our family for 60+ years. 

I can imagine.  my folks don't have shit in the way of fine furniture or stuff.  my pops is a borderline hoarder and truth is (other threads explain it) I don't want any of his stuff.  There is one exception - an old windup Victrola - but I'll let my brother and sister decide that one.  I on the other hand have started to collect some items (currently art and hoping to add rugs next) that are extremely collectible and usable.  We'll see what my kids end up wanting.  we'll someone will see but it won't be me.  Heirloom items can be really special.  sorry you're here at this juncture, I'm sure it's full of sorrow and other difficult emotions.  hang in there.  the memories made that those pieces and that room are associated with won't go anywhere, maybe there's some solace there?  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/27/2020 at 11:58 AM, Ths71 said:

What Mac components?

70s Solid State.  2125 Amp, C27 Controller/Preamp, M77 Tuner. 

Dual 1245 Turntable.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, troph said:

I can imagine.  my folks don't have shit in the way of fine furniture or stuff.  my pops is a borderline hoarder and truth is (other threads explain it) I don't want any of his stuff.  There is one exception - an old windup Victrola - but I'll let my brother and sister decide that one.  I on the other hand have started to collect some items (currently art and hoping to add rugs next) that are extremely collectible and usable.  We'll see what my kids end up wanting.  we'll someone will see but it won't be me.  Heirloom items can be really special.  sorry you're here at this juncture, I'm sure it's full of sorrow and other difficult emotions.  hang in there.  the memories made that those pieces and that room are associated with won't go anywhere, maybe there's some solace there?  

Thanks.  I'm doing alright with it.  It's business.  I have my pictures.  It hurts.  But I've already accepted that I've spent my last holiday season there.  We'll make new memories.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Looks kinda like a Villains lair from a 60's bond film... and where in the hell are the windows ??!

And that is exactly how I would want my house to feel. Which brings up a question for y’all, what is the tropical flavored mid century modern design called? Is it just “tiki” for everything? I’m talking the already mentioned villain lair (007, Incredibles). But I am not sure if that also describes Brazilian mid century modern, which probably could be its own subset.

1 minute ago, Patricio Swayze said:

And that is exactly how I would want my house to feel. Which brings up a question for y’all, what is the tropical flavored mid century modern design called? Is it just “tiki” for everything? I’m talking the already mentioned villain lair (007, Incredibles). But I am not sure if that also describes Brazilian mid century modern, which probably could be its own subset.

Tiki might have been prevelant during the mid century modern movement (I think it's a by product of WWII sailors, and marines in the Pacific), but I wouldn't call it mid century modern.

I'd go crazy in that space without windows.  It's a pretty bizarre set up in my opinion, kind of disjointed.

Tiki might have been prevelant during the mid century modern movement (I think it's a by product of WWII sailors, and marines in the Pacific), but I wouldn't call it mid century modern.
I'd go crazy in that space without windows.  It's a pretty bizarre set up in my opinion, kind of disjointed.

I guess what I mean is, mid century modern with a distinctive tropical influence. Is there a name for that?

1 minute ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I guess what I mean is, mid century modern with a distinctive tropical influence. Is there a name for that?

Could be, but just don't know for sure.  I think of mid century modern as strictly modern, international style, and jet age influenced architecture.  That tiki look was often paired with modern design influenced hotel/ report spaces so that's part of the link in my opinion.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I did.

Bulldozers show up tomorrow. 

Gonna build a Tuscan Hill Country revival, split level barndominium with a metal roof and 4 turrets and an infinity pool in the front yard.

All my contractors are going to park in front of the neighbors' houses while construction is going on.

(cool house)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
Ha, saw that earlier. The comments piss me off. So many people would rather have a beige McMansion. Absolutely zero imagination or vision for anything interesting.

1 minute ago, Okie State said:
1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Ha, saw that earlier. The comments piss me off. So many people would rather have a beige McMansion. Absolutely zero imagination or vision for anything interesting.

People can like what they like, but I just about blew iced tea out my nose at the person who suggested refinishing all of the dark wood paneling in pickled oak.  Ugh... just... ugh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

You can see Marsha B. descending that staircase......  It has potential, as soon as that horrible brown, and orange go away, and those exterior windows on the corner of the covered porch are re detailed,( it's a completely public sector commercial detail).

17 minutes ago, Okie State said:

It's not the coolest MCM house I've seen and needs a lot of work, but still a more interesting starting point than a lot of houses out there.

That ain't hard with some of the architecture for the 70's on.  I think we're actually seeing a resurgence of good architecture in this country with the new modernism, and reinterpretation of classic farmhouse, and bungalow/arts and crafts style design.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

That ain't hard with some of the architecture for the 70's on.  I think we're actually seeing a resurgence of good architecture in this country with the new modernism, and reinterpretation of classic farmhouse, and bungalow/arts and crafts style design.

Agree for the most part, but it seems like a lot of the "new" arts&crafts style is so... fake, or plastic, or over-produced, or something.  It's like they're capturing the forms, but not the materials and the craftsmanship.

While I think new modernism is actually going the other direction, utilizing more of the traditional modern materials and less of the fake-modern too-futuristic plasticky crap that came on in the 70s.

• Like 1

Just now, utee94 said:

Agree for the most part, but it seems like a lot of the "new" arts&crafts style is so... fake, or plastic, or over-produced, or something.  It's like they're capturing the forms, but not the materials and the craftsmanship.

While I think new modernism is actually going the other direction, utilizing more of the traditional modern materials and less of the fake-modern too-futuristic plasticky crap that came on in the 70s.

Yes, the arts and crafts thing jumped the shark a couple years back, but there was a strong contingent that really was nice, before they started putting battered columns on 2 story boxes, and calling them Arts & Craft.  I think there has a been a nice new traditionalism movement though. I'm seeing it with some of the smaller, and mixed use developments in our region.

I think the development of cement siding materials in sheet form, and a little bit of an industrial twist with corten, and corrugated materials is making the new modern stuff very warm, and more inviting with nice textures and colors. Kind of a very loose Mondrian pattern look in many cases with glass, and material juxtaposition.