WVU @ Okie State

Vic Mackey

20 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Not gonna happen. I agree he should play but Gundy is as Gundy does. He’s still a hell of a coach even if I disagree with his view on QB play.

He is a good coach.  It could be argued that he's thrown this season away with his QB choice, but he's earned the benefit of the doubt for at least one more season (from me anyway).   

I do think the very public war with AD Mike Holder has taken its toll on him.  And is contributing to his stubbornness/refusal to let anyone else play QB.   I can imagine Holder telling Gundy he should give Sanders a look...and that guaranteeing that we won't see Sanders all year.

5 minutes ago, Monster said:

He is a good coach.  It could be argued that he's thrown this season away with his QB choice, but he's earned the benefit of the doubt for at least one more season (from me anyway).   

I do think the very public war with AD Mike Holder has taken its toll on him.  And is contributing to his stubbornness/refusal to let anyone else play QB.   I can imagine Holder telling Gundy he should give Sanders a look...and that guaranteeing that we won't see Sanders all year.

They weren’t going to win this year anyway. Might as well roll with the senior. Sanders’ mom needs to stay off Twitter.

2 minutes ago, DejaVu said:

They weren’t going to win this year anyway. Might as well roll with the senior. Sanders’ mom needs to stay off Twitter.

If you're not going to win, why wouldn't you give the freshman the reps?  

Edited by Monster

4 minutes ago, DejaVu said:

The offensive line is weak, and Sanders has a tricky knee. I wouldn’t risk him as a freshman. 

So don't play your potentially star players because they might get injured?

"Sorry, other 100+ guys on the team. ..we played the inferior quarterback all season because we thought there was a small chance the younger, better QB might get injured." 

Not buying it.   

Edited by Monster

Mike Holder is not telling him who to play at QB. If he is he’s worse than Jerry Jones and I wouldn’t blame Gundy for leaving. Their dispute was about pay and scheduling.

5 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Think it was a good spot. Knee down before he reached goal line 

Yeah the original spot was fine. Then they reviewed it and got it wrong. Review is completely fucking useless. They fuck it up as often as they get it right.

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Mike Holder is not telling him who to play at QB. If he is he’s worse than Jerry Jones and I wouldn’t blame Gundy for leaving. Their dispute was about pay and scheduling.

Pay and scheduling AND a dispute about recruiting, where Holder made very public comments criticizing Gundy.  (trended on ESPN for a day or so this year)   

It would not be out of character for Holder to make comments privately (or publicly) about Gundy's personnel decisions. 

Edited by Monster

1 minute ago, Monster said:

So don't play your potentially star players because they might get injured?

"Sorry, other 100+ guys on the team. ..we played the inferior quarterback all season because we thought there was a small chance the younger, better QB might get injured." 

Gundy insists that Sanders is not ready. I’m inclined to believe the coach who keeps winning at a place that you shouldn’t be able to win. 

I’m a Poke chick, so I might not be quite objective. 

8 minutes ago, Hamttx said:

I bet Gundy is a good drinking partner. And I’m guessing he shoots pool, a lot. 

I have a good buddy who grew up and was friends with the Gundy brothers in OK (he was closer to Cale than Mike due to age). Says Cale turned into a complete dick when he became QB at OU, while Mike remains a good dude, and is very down to earth. /csb

1 minute ago, DejaVu said:

Gundy insists that Sanders is not ready. I’m inclined to believe the coach who keeps winning at a place that you shouldn’t be able to win. 

I’m a Poke chick, so I might not be quite objective. 

He's earned the benefit of the doubt.  He's also earned skepticism about who he starts at QB.  

(remember when Weeden was the back-up to Alex Cate for most of a year...would have stayed that way, but Cate got injured)

He's earned the benefit of the doubt.  He's also earned skepticism about who he starts at QB.  
(remember when Weeden was the back-up to Alex Cate for most of a year...would have stayed that way, but Cate got injured)

It only mattered for a half. He’s been criticized for not playing Weeden in Bedlam that year and playing Robinson off a concussion. We were shut out that year in Bedlam.

3 minutes ago, USMCHorn said:

Yeah but every team Texas’ plays gives us it’s best shot

True.  Which just means Texas plays a tougher schedule than the numbers show.  Still should've won both games if not for our own mistakes/ineptitude.

Edited by UTexas07

Actually the next series would be a perfect time to insert the young QB. It would throw the West Virginia staff into a panic trying to quickly adjust. And would give OSU the advantages of putting the kid in with nothing on his shoulders. Give him something easy to get his heart rate up and go for it.